Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Book for International Relations . Review required

Hi ,
Vajiram faculty "Pavneet Singh" has come with a book on IR on TMH, I am yet to touch paper 2, if anybody has read the book please tell me if it is worth it or should David malone suffice?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/935260282X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHCX8JL3VAZKY

Comments

• Hi ,
    Vajiram faculty "Pavneet Singh" has come with a book on IR on TMH, I am yet to touch paper 2, if anybody has read the book please tell me if it is worth it or should David malone suffice?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/935260282X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHCX8JL3VAZKY

+1 even I have the same doubt
    signature
  • I'm done with the book and it took me 15 days to complete the book.

My take : Good for PSIR optional students but not for GS specific preparation. Too much detail and unnecessary information considering only 4/5 questions in GS 2 Paper which is almost related to current affairs.
    So, yayy --> PSIR
    Nayy ---> GS
    'पसीने की स्याही से जो लिखते है इरादों को,
    उनके मुकद्दर के सफ़ेद पन्ने कभी कोरे नही होते'
  • I'm not a PSIR guy, but feeling vella so want to give some input. I suppose it is about paper 2 of GS!
    Sorry haven't read this book. But have read Malone, Pax Indica, and Rajiv Ahir (partly) - just for being sure I'm in position to comment.

Now for IR questions in GS, these books may help but never directly. They will give a good context to understand current issues, reading any of these books will definitely make you wise to understand dynamic news easily.

BUT, IR part has to done only and only by Hindu, IE etc. Op-ed article. Nothing can substitute it. All these years UPSC is asking only current issues, which are well explained by leading columnist like Rajamohan, Suhasini, Happyman Jacobs etc.. So read any one IR book, won't matter much. But never miss any IR related good articles. And Vision's booklets will help in filling missing content/gaps.

This book may be useful, let someone chip in. But NEVER miss current issues related articles of newspaper. Some bouncers like Diaspora may come - which are rarely covered in newspaper, otherwise it's sufficient.

Hope it's not too unsolicited comment :grimace:
    CSE '16 : Interview
  • I'm not a PSIR guy, but feeling vella so want to give some input. I suppose it is about paper 2 of GS!
    Sorry haven't read this book. But have read Malone, Pax Indica, and Rajiv Ahir (partly) - just for being sure I'm in position to comment.

Now for IR questions in GS, these books may help but never directly. They will give a good context to understand current issues, reading any of these books will definitely make you wise to understand dynamic news easily.

BUT, IR part has to done only and only by Hindu, IE etc. Op-ed article. Nothing can substitute it. All these years UPSC is asking only current issues, which are well explained by leading columnist like Rajamohan, Suhasini, Happyman Jacobs etc.. So read any one IR book, won't matter much. But never miss any IR related good articles. And Vision's booklets will help in filling missing content/gaps.

This book may be useful, let someone chip in. But NEVER miss current issues related articles of newspaper. Some bouncers like Diaspora may come - which are rarely covered in newspaper, otherwise it's sufficient.

+1

We can't do much about questions like diaspora can we , but that shouldn't be a factor in anyone's decision to read a text like mrunal says always keep an eye on the cost benifit ratio of an investment when it comes to investing ur time
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • IR ke liye toh newspaper hi best hai.
    Aur waise bhi amazon ke reviews mein sabne 5 star diya hai....mujhe toh kuch shady lag raha hai :D
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods

@Maverick33 As you said all these books do not help directly but if I could read only one of these books, just for casual reading, which one would you recommend?
    Thanks
    At the end of the road, let there be no excuses, no explanations, no regrets
  • Mrunal mentioned book with Amazon link.
    Barely a month after releasing,
    All reviews in Amazon are for author, instead of his book contents. Mostly reviews mentioning "Pavneet Sir", best teacher etc.

800 pages itself obviously too lengthy for GS IR part (very dynamic part)
    Expire@2017.
  • edited November 2017
    Exile said:

I'm not a PSIR guy, but feeling vella so want to give some input. I suppose it is about paper 2 of GS!

@Maverick33 As you said all these books do not help directly but if I could read only one of these books, just for casual reading, which one would you recommend?
    Thanks
    It's very difficult for me to choose one book :/ Because each book has some positive-relevant and some non-useful content. And I liked reading all three!

Malone's very good book, it is written by a foreign diplomat so extra advantage of 'View from Outsider' which makes it bit more interesting. His first 3 chapters are very good, one covers all historical fact of foreign trade, invasion, contacts, India-SE Asia and West Asia cultural mixing etc etc. Which I found too good. One cover India's internal security, polity, how regional sentiment of border states affect decisions of Centre viz-a-viz neighbors etc etc, so good for general gyaan and one is about evolution of Foreign Policy since Independence,Wars etc(quite useful for Post-Independence part of GS). Now his specific chapters about India vs other region is also good. See, I'm not going to write any negative about this book as I liked it much. Forgetting other details (read it very long ago)

Tharoor has extensively quoted and used Malone's gyan in various chapters. His Pakistan chapter is useless for us. Other wise, he deals fairly with unknown parts of world. His coverage of BIMSTEC, IORA, Look East was quite useful for me ( to gain a context). His chapters on China, US, Africa etc are also nice. You will gain very good perspective about India's leverage and weakness wrt China, prospect wrt US, and future opportunity wrt Africa investment. His Soft Power chapter is interesting but only useful for PSIR. UN chapter will help you in understanding very nicely why UN reform is needed and why it is not possible very soon. His last chapter has very good content on India's security, economic etc. (it covers security part of GS3 too, and talks about lack of clear national security doctrine, lack of Joint Chief for all 3 forces, etc) Overall it is also good.

If your reading speed is good, and can devote couple of days for each, I'd suggest to read both :P
    It benefits in long term..

Rajiv Ahir's book has become obsolete a bit, as it was written in pre-China's current powerful position (2007 is guess). I have read only first 4-5 chapters. It's little easier to complete. His SE-asia chapter is good, where he explains trade/investment related tidbits.

tldr; for casual reading, read all :P ( It doesn't take much time)
    If have to choose one, go with Malone.
  • @Exile I think you should go with ncert
    All reviews in Amazon are for author, instead of his book contents. Mostly reviews mentioning "Pavneet Sir", best teacher etc.

They are wrong... Hez d worst faculty in vajiram.. Sadist.. Always try to misguide students. Don't read his book bt m sure it ll be having hell lot of factual content which is useless as per contemporary upsc papers.

They are wrong... Hez d worst faculty in vajiram.. Sadist.. Always try to misguide students. Don't read his book bt m sure it ll be having hell lot of factual content which is useless as per contemporary upsc papers.
    I second u bhai. He is very sadist and big feku.
  • Thank you all for sharin g your views. Book is 800 pages , so it will be a bit lengthy to cover as well.
    I think I will go with malone then , thanks a lot everyone!
  • I have read Malone and Rajiv Sikri ..If supplemented with current affairs ...It should be more than sufficient ...

“Success is not a random act. It arises out of a predictable and powerful set of circumstances and opportunities"
  • Abhi naya he he how india sees the world by shyam sharan , i would say must read of course not for upsc gs but for normal reading to gain insights into indias foreign policy and how it has evolved , i found it good , dont know about others , malone bhi mast he (o guess if an individual have ifs as the first option yeah dono padh sakte he , along with choices small but interesting , pax indica is good though but shyam sharan i found better and broad )
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• going with Malone and How India sees
    signature
  • Choices by Shiv Shankar Menon is short & crisp(can be completed in 3-4 days). How India sees the world by Shyam Saran somewhat lengthy.But for PSIR perspective both must read.Who can best explain the insights & conundrums of foreign policy than two successive foreign sec
  • IR by Pavneet Singh
    Only contents pages
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1oMqeqtuwpM6Mp7UGWvPRvp1rJITd1a_N

While other books focus on policy aspects more than bilateral relations, this covers almost all, tried to add flowcharts in all chapters, so became too lengthy.

Eg all recent bilateral visits are covered, even insignificant in UPSC aspects like list of MoU signed during Spain, Portugal visit etc.

But explanation, flowcharts, diagrams are looks good, can be reproduced in ans. Some flowcharts more complicated, only for understanding.
    Attaching one image of flowchart in the neighborhood relations chapter

My first impression:
    Not essential/ must one for GS (may be ok for selective study)
    Good for PSIR, aspiring diplomats (IFS 1st preference)

IMG_20171118_123543951.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 2M
    Expire@2017.
  • bugsbunny said:

Abhi naya he he how india sees the world by shyam sharan , i would say must read of course not for upsc gs but for normal reading to gain insights into indias foreign policy and how it has evolved , i found it good , dont know about others , malone bhi mast he (o guess if an individual have ifs as the first option yeah dono padh sakte he , along with choices small but interesting , pax indica is good though but shyam sharan i found better and broad )

Bhai, does Shyam Sarans book contain current geopolitical issues and multilateral organizations-India analysis??
    If you have no issues, then could u plz sometime upload the content page of this book?
    I hv PSIR as 2nd optional, so wanted to read these books.
    Choices ki to pdf hai, but I feel it is quite specific for those 5-6 choices India made. Haven't opened it.
  • I think the book won’t be useful for gs as gs mains mains ir mostly current aata hain and vision covers it very well from teeth to tail ecosoc Bhi pt 365 main tha
  • mrindia said:

I think the book won’t be useful for gs as gs mains mains ir mostly current aata hain and vision covers it very well from teeth to tail ecosoc Bhi pt 365 main tha

Yes!
    Purely exam point of view, cost benefit ratio for GS IR would be poor.
    IR questions are mostly dynamic, also no scope for detailed analysis.

McBride commission, Indian diaspora in SEA kind of questions nothing helps much.

(Checked Pavneet book also nothing like McBride (intl org part not covered in detailed manner, even UNESCO, ECOSOC missing), even though indian diaspora in SEA given no mark fetching 'point')

Bilateral, regional relationship covered in 48 chapters.
    All other are covered in 47 chapters.
    Kind of reference book!
    Expire@2017.
  • mrindia said:

I think the book won’t be useful for gs as gs mains mains ir mostly current aata hain and vision covers it very well from teeth to tail ecosoc Bhi pt 365 main tha

Yes!
    Purely exam point of view, cost benefit ratio for GS IR would be poor.
    IR questions are mostly dynamic, also no scope for detailed analysis.

McBride commission, Indian diaspora in SEA kind of questions nothing helps much.

(Checked Pavneet book also nothing like McBride (intl org part not covered in detailed manner, even UNESCO, ECOSOC missing), even though indian diaspora in SEA given no mark fetching 'point')

Bilateral, regional relationship covered in 48 chapters.
    All other are covered in 47 chapters.
    Kind of reference book!
    Best reference for IR is newspaper articles by rajamohan ....in-depth analysis is not required at least for gs psir may be ...
  • 47 chapters and his famous dialogue 22 ncerts more than motivating people he keeps on scaring them 22 ncerts and what not i still remember once he said his friend score 198/200 in gs prelims
  • @bugsbunny do you have pdf of book by shyam saran.
  • bugsbunny said:

Abhi naya he he how india sees the world by shyam sharan , i would say must read of course not for upsc gs but for normal reading to gain insights into indias foreign policy and how it has evolved , i found it good , dont know about others , malone bhi mast he (o guess if an individual have ifs as the first option yeah dono padh sakte he , along with choices small but interesting , pax indica is good though but shyam sharan i found better and broad )

Bhai, does Shyam Sarans book contain current geopolitical issues and multilateral organizations-India analysis??
    If you have no issues, then could u plz sometime upload the content page of this book?
    I hv PSIR as 2nd optional, so wanted to read these books.
    Choices ki to pdf hai, but I feel it is quite specific for those 5-6 choices India made. Haven't opened it.
    I will PM u the contents by tomorrow
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• @bugsbunny do you have pdf of book by shyam saran.

Na bhai
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• @Maverick33 Sir, choices ki pdf share kr sakte ho. I have Psir as my optionals.
  • @Maverick33 Sir, choices ki pdf share kr sakte ho. I have Psir as my optionals.

choices ki pdf to forumias par hi uploaded hain. download kar lo

https://libgen.pw/download.php?id=1587243
    signature

https://libgen.pw/download.php?id=1587243
    Yes.. And if still unable try this : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q51t-U_P729frqcyeAIUdDl1KUcHKwdU/view?usp=drivesdk
  • Shubra Ranjan Online answer writing module for 2018. It cost me 20K, giving for 12 K.( coz moving out of UPSC) 3 test written out of 24. Mail on crazykeeda1@gmail.com if interested.
    “Strength is the only religion"
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog