MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Less than a year left- what to select: PSIR or Philosophy?

Hi folks

So I have read in some places that it is possible to complete philosophy optional in 2 months. Also that PSIR optional is really lengthy and takes at least 4 months.How true is any of that?

If someone is in my position and has yet to start any optional studies for 2018- what should they pick: PSIR or Philosophy? Not particularly interested but like both of them.

I can not afford to join coaching, but am open to joining test series and correspondence. Is it possible to do justice to either PSIR or Philosophy if I Study them until March 2018- for about 2-3 hours everyday?

Kindly guide, dear seniors :smile:
wubba lubba dub dub

Comments

• ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

So I have read in some places that it is possible to complete philosophy optional in 2 months. Also that PSIR optional is really lengthy and takes at least 4 months.How true is any of that?

If someone is in my position and has yet to start any optional studies for 2018- what should they pick: PSIR or Philosophy? Not particularly interested but like both of them.

I can not afford to join coaching, but am open to joining test series and correspondence. Is it possible to do justice to either PSIR or Philosophy if I Study them until March 2018- for about 2-3 hours everyday?

1. Philosophy can be done in 3 months, if not 2months. But please dont go by advertisements.
    2. Philosophy requires multiple revisions as compared to PSIR. in PSIR you can have your opinions, but in Philosophy, there is no scope for opinions of "new knwoeldge" . What is given is given, and dont be creative with Paper 1.
    3. The problem with Philosophy is that while studying, you will find all things logical and easy, but when you write answer - at least in first attempt, you will face lot of issues.
    4. Philosophy used to be safe optional, and if you write well, there was some guarantee of an above average score, but now there is no such scope. In Philo also average marks have come down.
    5. Having said, so yes many people do Philo after Prelims and clear it that year itself.
    6. Aks someone else in more detail about PSIR optional. Tag me here if you want any other infor with respect to Philo , Pub Ab
  • anjus said:

ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

1. Philosophy can be done in 3 months, if not 2months. But please dont go by advertisements.
    2. Philosophy requires multiple revisions as compared to PSIR. in PSIR you can have your opinions, but in Philosophy, there is no scope for opinions of "new knwoeldge" . What is given is given, and dont be creative with Paper 1.
    3. The problem with Philosophy is that while studying, you will find all things logical and easy, but when you write answer - at least in first attempt, you will face lot of issues.
    4. Philosophy used to be safe optional, and if you write well, there was some guarantee of an above average score, but now there is no such scope. In Philo also average marks have come down.
    5. Having said, so yes many people do Philo after Prelims and clear it that year itself.
    6. Aks someone else in more detail about PSIR optional. Tag me here if you want any other infor with respect to Philo , Pub Ab
    hey . valuable input , thanks . can you please elaborate on the highlighted parts.
    i mean what issues precisely and can those be removed by practicing
    and
    why is philosophy no more a safe optional .
    thanks
  • No PSIR Please.. Easier said than done!
    Try looking into Anthro !
    No PSIR at any cost !
  • anjus said:

ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

I don't think points 2, 4 is true. Scope of knowledge is determined by the sources one reads. And as far as score is concerned, it depends upon one's ability to answer the questions as per requirement. If one wants to score well, i don't think 3 months are enough.
    Prelims - 3, Mains - 2*, Interview - 0.
  • No PSIR Please.. Easier said than done!
    Try looking into Anthro !
    No PSIR at any cost !

@theevilsaint why no PSIR? IS it really tough, are scores bad? what has been your experience?
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

I'm a Political Science graduate and believe me, PSIR has the syllabus of 2 subjects under one name. Don't go with it if it's your first time dealing with the subject. It's hard to comprehend and remember all the stuff.

Don't go by high scores of the said toppers in the subject. It's not easy. If you're a fast learner, you can try.

In my opinion, don't listen to others advise, read a few books from each subject and see what interests you.
  • Go for PSIR...it will help u immensely in GS paper 2 and GS Paper 4( wrt public administration) and essay....plus PSIR is on the rise ....u can see the liberal marking done in Mains for this subject for past 2 years....but course is a bit more as compared to other optionals.....
    Philosphy would help in essay, GS 4 only.....plus philosphy is on its downfall...u can see it through with meagre selection previous year as well.....
    Prelim: 4 , Mains: 3*( 750 marks in mains 2016), Interview: 0
    Optional : Sociology
  • ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

I'm a Political Science graduate and believe me, PSIR has the syllabus of 2 subjects under one name. Don't go with it if it's your first time dealing with the subject. It's hard to comprehend and remember all the stuff.

Don't go by high scores of the said toppers in the subject. It's not easy. If you're a fast learner, you can try.

In my opinion, don't listen to others advise, read a few books from each subject and see what interests you.
    Abe Kya keh rahe ho yr hard to comprehend...ye subjective cheez Hai ...btw mere roomie ka pol sci Hai...Jesa aap keh rahe ho usme comprehend krne wala part nikal Diya Jaye to baki ho sakta Hai tough kam
    Prelims - 3, Mains - 2*, Interview - 0.
  • @anjus

hey, what are your thoughts on pub ad vs philosophy? is the syllabus of pub ad manageable in 3-4 months?

why were there less toppers from pub ad before 2016 results?

Lastly which is more interesting (in general- less books, easy to follow etc) among pub ad or philosophy?
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • Go for PSIR...it will help u immensely in GS paper 2 and GS Paper 4( wrt public administration) and essay....plus PSIR is on the rise ....u can see the liberal marking done in Mains for this subject for past 2 years....but course is a bit more as compared to other optionals.....
    Philosphy would help in essay, GS 4 only.....plus philosphy is on its downfall...u can see it through with meagre selection previous year as well.....

@abhinavdube

Hi, I noticed your optional is sociology. how is it as an optional? How has it performed among top 100 rankers in previous years?

I saw the syllabus and noticed that many topics of P1 are similar to P2. Like P1 had family and kinship and P2 had family and kinship in Indian societies! Is there a difference between the two papers?

Are there any cons along with pros of socio? What are the challenges of taking this optional?

Can you compare socio with PSIR?

Thanks!

wubba lubba dub dub
  • @DramaLlama

How are you preparing for PSIR optional?
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/28719/baswan-recommendations-and-govt-decisions/p1
    cant confirm on the veracity of this info but thought maybe you should look at this
    signature
  • @Rodion Raskolnikov this would be awesome if implemented this year!
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • ashuks21 said:

@DramaLlama

How are you preparing for PSIR optional?

self study. I have my college books and notes with me.
  • ashuks21 said:

Hi folks

Abe Kya keh rahe ho yr hard to comprehend...ye subjective cheez Hai ...btw mere roomie ka pol sci Hai...Jesa aap keh rahe ho usme comprehend krne wala part nikal Diya Jaye to baki ho sakta Hai tough kam
    I was saying that from a fresher's perspective. If it's your first time dealing with PSIR, it won't be a cakewalk like you think it would be. It has far wider syllabus and more theoretical part than any other optional. Like I said, in the end, you should choose what interests you. Pick up a few books and see it for yourself.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog