MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

How is history as optional ?

I am seeking insights from experienced players who have given Mains with history optional. I am thinking to go with history as optional. Initially I thought of Maths as optional but after reading basic books my interest is tilting towards history. I know that syllabus is huge but I like history the most among other humanities subjects. PSIR and anthro is no-no for me.

I would really appreciate some advice and tips about history optional.

Comments

• If you have no history background then you need too much dedication and time to understand history properly...
  • Congratz! thats a great decision..go ahead with it!
  • Pros:
    1. Easy to understand
    2. Easy to remember since it is like a continuous narrative rather than discreet concepts
    3. Helps in prelims
    4. Helps in GS paper 1 (Culture and History)
    5. Helps in GS paper 2 ( International relations)
    6. Helps in essay
    7. Material easily available
    8. Coaching easily available
    9. Can be done by self-study easily

Cons:
    1. Huge syllabus
    2. Low marks awarded in mains
    3. Maps part is difficult to master and score in.
    Prelims:04 Mains:04* Interview:03
  • Thanks @Mitochondria for the advice
  • 1. Huge syllabus. But limited and static one, giving good chances to keep on improving and finishing the syllabus.
    2. Maps: personally, I didn't find it much difficult. Most of the sites will be covered while reading the syllabus itself, though some difficult ones will always be there in Mains. (Like this year's Ancient capital one 1(v)).
    3. Essay help: you will be able to directly quote examples from History. Even can help in Ethics as well.
    4. Not low, but average marks. Even 2016 witnessed 311 marks in history. But the average History optional marks was low as compared to other optionals.
  • 1. Huge syllabus. But limited and static one, giving good chances to keep on improving and finishing the syllabus.
    2. Maps: personally, I didn't find it much difficult. Most of the sites will be covered while reading the syllabus itself, though some difficult ones will always be there in Mains. (Like this year's Ancient capital one 1(v)).
    3. Essay help: you will be able to directly quote examples from History. Even can help in Ethics as well.
    4. Not low, but average marks. Even 2016 witnessed 311 marks in history. But the average History optional marks was low as compared to other optionals.

Thanks @Deepak Kumar1 .

What is the best strategy for maps ? Should we follow any book ?
  • I followed Baliyan Sir's printed notes for Maps and his printed Maps as well. Upinder Singh has many Maps in the book, which are useful. Then Self Study History website has almost covered every remaining topic.

One more thing Bhai:
    Point of Huge syllabus of History is usually based on the number of topics given in the CSE notification defining the Optional syllabus. I have not read any other optional, so don't know whether History really has the huge syllabus as compared to other optionals or not.
    Moreover, on talking with other friends with different optionals, I found that we have to do almost the same amount of preparation for any other optional.
    So someone who used to prepare 2 optionals in pre-2013 times, would be better suited to say such things that History has huge syllabus. Thanks.
  • Yeah I agree with you, but people who opt for history they only say that syllabus is large.
  • It's because we are also told the same when we opted for History. :tongue:
  • It's because we are also told the same when we opted for History. :tongue:

lol ..yes !! Syllabus of all subjects are same, bas farak yeah hai ki history is 90% static and well defined, baki pub ad, psir I think is 60-70% is static, baaki ke liye newspaper, current update karna padta hai regularly.
  • IceMan said:

It's because we are also told the same when we opted for History. :tongue:

lol ..yes !! Syllabus of all subjects are same, bas farak yeah hai ki history is 90% static and well defined, baki pub ad, psir I think is 60-70% is static, baaki ke liye newspaper, current update karna padta hai regularly.
    yes agree with you.... so by covering current affairs it completes a portion of syllabus & it appears small
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog