MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

How safe is sociology.

Hi,
I am seeking some insight by experienced players who have given mains two-three times with sociology. How consistent were the marks from one year to the next according to their experience and scaling i.e their marks when compared to same peer group. What could be the worse case scenario for a seemingly fine student of the subject. Can there be a strategy ie a person scoring very well every time.

What are your thoughts on the prospects of the subject. Would it be advisable to switch over to history , anthro or psir ? ( do not worry about subject syllabus completion but yes extra efforts put in a new subject could be a concern)

Comments

• I have written 4 mains back to back with sociology, one thing I can bet ki if your English is not very good then sociology will destroy all your efforts and hard work. Better go for anthropology if you don't want any big change
  • Little dicey..since in Papers sometime very generalist type questions used to get asked especially in Paper 2 so it become really challenging to write in a sociological manner which imapcts marks !
  • edited November 12
    @Sleeplessnights_89 @bugsbunny @MD47 @Hriti and others ??
    Some help plz!
    Given a choice now would you guys still have chosen socio?
  • Hope you decide soon, Jill ji. All the best!! :)
  • History has certainly lost its craze - as of now. 2017 seems to a good year for aspirants with history optional. But, let the results come out first. A trend analysis shows that history doesn't help you with your ranks, at least. The median scores are lower than most humanities optionals, the syllabus is gargantuan (will take 1 complete year in toto to get a good grasp over the subject content), and very much fact oriented. The most recent Anthroplogy Discussion thread has an indicative comparison between the History Optional and Anthro (credits - Eiago Sir). That's it from my side.
  • Positives for Sociology:
    - Portion is not very vast - less facts to remember
    - Good material available for Paper-1
    - Some GS topics are also covered as part of preparation
    - When question papers are straight forward, you can score as high as 160 in Paper-1

Negatives:

- Very difficult to master Paper-2, especially part-c of that paper. Need to scavenge for material from EPW etc.
    - As was the case in 2017, questions can be tricky and difficult - so scores may fall
    - Unlike some optionals like Geography, nobody knows for sure what works in the exam
  • jill said:

Some help plz!

Had I known about PSIR than I might have gone for it , but again I would have done that when I started my prep, no now , as I have been through Sociology, though mark wise didn't performed well in my 1st two attempts , but again my conceptual clarity was not there , I prepared from home , and honestly i didn't went bit deep into the topic ,hence failed in both times in sociology, I won't say that I was unlucky or something as it was more of my incompetence, regarding this year I'm expecting that my marks will increase , if not great at least I still feel I will be able to score above avg this time , bakki marks will say , but that's what I have done , and as for u I won't sake this or that but all I will say the positives and the negatives , well Vikram has mentioned it , in that I will add few more , if u can use ur Sociological knowledge well , ur essay scores will soar up , in fact it will help u to generate more points in ur gs answers and have more keywords as well, that is if u can master what's sociological knowledge , u will be able to derive some external benefits out of it. Rest what Vikram has mentioned is true ,

Last but not the least , no optional is bad or good , some score well and some poorly , optional like sociology, PSIR, geo are taken by many hence we are bound to find more lower scores than higher, as I said I scored low and it was my fault , and this year I should be score much better, above avg that is , though I know upsc I unpredictable in nature m that is why I'm being cautious of what I'm saying , anyways that's how things work in every optional , some score high many low, aab how to score how is not clearly defined

Good luck with what ever optional you choose to go with :)
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • are sociology pendrive courses available in market?
  • bugsbunny said:

jill said:

Some help plz!

Had I known about PSIR than I might have gone for it , but again I would have done that when I started my prep, no now , as I have been through Sociology, though mark wise didn't performed well in my 1st two attempts , but again my conceptual clarity was not there , I prepared from home , and honestly i didn't went bit deep into the topic ,hence failed in both times in sociology, I won't say that I was unlucky or something as it was more of my incompetence, regarding this year I'm expecting that my marks will increase , if not great at least I still feel I will be able to score above avg this time , bakki marks will say , but that's what I have done , and as for u I won't sake this or that but all I will say the positives and the negatives , well Vikram has mentioned it , in that I will add few more , if u can use ur Sociological knowledge well , ur essay scores will soar up , in fact it will help u to generate more points in ur gs answers and have more keywords as well, that is if u can master what's sociological knowledge , u will be able to derive some external benefits out of it. Rest what Vikram has mentioned is true ,

Last but not the least , no optional is bad or good , some score well and some poorly , optional like sociology, PSIR, geo are taken by many hence we are bound to find more lower scores than higher, as I said I scored low and it was my fault , and this year I should be score much better, above avg that is , though I know upsc I unpredictable in nature m that is why I'm being cautious of what I'm saying , anyways that's how things work in every optional , some score high many low, aab how to score how is not clearly defined

Good luck with what ever optional you choose to go with :)
    Thanks for the reply and the wish. Tc
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog