MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Lost in 3rd attempt. What's the way forward?

I have done good amount of reading for optional and GS, though there's a lot more I ought to have done. But I think the critical factor in my failure in the two mains, and specially this years' was not so much a lack of content than it was the writing speed. In essays I wrote some 1600 words, in GS papers perhaps 3000 words. I think I need at least 33% improvement on this front.

Perhaps having an in-depth understanding would also help improve the speed of expressing the ideas. So perhaps though I can frame answers for almost all questions, I dont have the luxury to take as much time for thinking as I do. Is there any peculiar technique you guys employ here - like thinking as you write or first taking a minute to frame the answer and then write?

Or simply writing practice tests is the key, and the rest will come alongwith? I haven't committed myself to it till now apart from a few occasions here and there, and I feel very stupid in doing this to myself.

I don't think I am as incompetent as the marks coming out next year would indicate. But my attempts at civil services are making me feel utterly helpless and the goal looks beyond grasp. I am no way near it. What's the course correction?

A few things on my mind
- consistent note-making as a tool to internalise what I read more efficiently
- test series for mains-2018, but not sure whence to start with writing tests.

Confused. How quickly first attempt has turned into 4th. And I am still a novice. What's the course correction?

Comments

• I have done good amount of reading for optional and GS, though there's a lot more I ought to have done. But I think the critical factor in my failure in the two mains, and specially this years' was not so much a lack of content than it was the writing speed. In essays I wrote some 1600 words, in GS papers perhaps 3000 words. I think I need at least 33% improvement on this front.

Perhaps having an in-depth understanding would also help improve the speed of expressing the ideas. So perhaps though I can frame answers for almost all questions, I dont have the luxury to take as much time for thinking as I do. Is there any peculiar technique you guys employ here - like thinking as you write or first taking a minute to frame the answer and then write?

Or simply writing practice tests is the key, and the rest will come alongwith? I haven't committed myself to it till now apart from a few occasions here and there, and I feel very stupid in doing this to myself.

I don't think I am as incompetent as the marks coming out next year would indicate. But my attempts at civil services are making me feel utterly helpless and the goal looks beyond grasp. I am no way near it. What's the course correction?

A few things on my mind

Confused. How quickly first attempt has turned into 4th. And I am still a novice. What's the course correction?

bro i am not qualified enough to advice you as you are more experienced ..but i feel something by studying your situation .. you have studied a lot so don't bother about that and notes making ..try to analyze what is the question about try to connect things with current events ...political significance ..economical..try to give the examiner ..different angles ..i think you do not need writing practice but you need thinking practice try to listen..AIR daily discussions..RSTV Big Picture ..LSTV..Insight On daily basis....and analyze sample copies of the toppers..i feel this will surely help you..please don't take stress listen and analyze with open calm mind. :smile:
    light up ur Darkness to bright up ur Future...AJ
  • I have done good amount of reading for optional and GS, though there's a lot more I ought to have done. But I think the critical factor in my failure in the two mains, and specially this years' was not so much a lack of content than it was the writing speed. In essays I wrote some 1600 words, in GS papers perhaps 3000 words. I think I need at least 33% improvement on this front.

A few things on my mind

Bhai...Jo kamiyan Hain unhe aap Durr Karo....Manzil jaroor milegi kyunki aapki Mehnat sachhi (honest) Hain....
    Let The Mind Games Begin

A few things on my mind

Forming an answer writing practice whatsapp group. If interested get in touch. email -- devkachari10@gmail.com
  • edited November 12
    Dev_j7 said:

I have done good amount of reading for optional and GS, though there's a lot more I ought to have done. But I think the critical factor in my failure in the two mains, and specially this years' was not so much a lack of content than it was the writing speed. In essays I wrote some 1600 words, in GS papers perhaps 3000 words. I think I need at least 33% improvement on this front.

A few things on my mind

Forming an answer writing practice whatsapp group. If interested get in touch. email -- devkachari10@gmail.com
    Hw will this group work? What's the plan?
    तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।

A few things on my mind

2015 was my first mains; did not give a single mock test; was not able to complete any of my GS paper ;left 3-4 questions in every paper even though i had content, and even rest 16-17 questions i was not able to write properly because of the tension of running out of time;got 260 odd marks in GS;

in next attempt wrote 8 tests of a test series which i had joined and several other tests at home , this time my sole focus was on speed and completing papers ;eventually did not leave a single question in mains 2016(however compromised with content ;wrote 1-2 paras even on those questions on which i had little idea)

got 400 marks in gs in 2016 that was a significant improvement from 260 odd marks in 2015 even after considering the inflation of marks;

This time wrote 18 tests of a test series and was more comfortable with speed and content both; dont know how much i will get eventually but I think i have written better than my previous attempt;

Moral -> after 2-3 mains there is little scope of addition in knowledge ; what is required is rigorous practice; write as many tests as you can and you will eventually feel yourself at ease while writing in those 3 hours.
    Uttarakhand PCS officer

essay 2015 - 140 B) ; 2016 - 122 :s

A few things on my mind

2015 was my first mains; did not give a single mock test; was not able to complete any of my GS paper ;left 3-4 questions in every paper even though i had content, and even rest 16-17 questions i was not able to write properly because of the tension of running out of time;got 260 odd marks in GS;

in next attempt wrote 8 tests of a test series which i had joined and several other tests at home , this time my sole focus was on speed and completing papers ;eventually did not leave a single question in mains 2016(however compromised with content ;wrote 1-2 paras even on those questions on which i had little idea)

got 400 marks in gs in 2016 that was a significant improvement from 260 odd marks in 2015 even after considering the inflation of marks;

This time wrote 18 tests of a test series and was more comfortable with speed and content both; dont know how much i will get eventually but I think i have written better than my previous attempt;

Moral -> after 2-3 mains there is little scope of addition in knowledge ; what is required is rigorous practice; write as many tests as you can and you will eventually feel yourself at ease while writing in those 3 hours.
    +1
    with one assumption that knowledge does matter...but...not only the amount and direction but the speed and ease of retrieval also
    Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.
    well, in the end, it is all about Success.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIp5Tfkgwf4
    Avoid forum if u wanna clear cse.
  • Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
  • Thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Test series join kr lo abhi se
    तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog