MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Please help anyone!

edited November 5 in Current Affairs
Are Newspaper+Yojana+Kurukshetra+VisionIAS monthly magazine sufficient for covering Current Affairs for Prelims? Not going for Civil Services Chronicle/Pratiyogita Darpan; would it be ok? Asking for Current Affairs (Prelims), not Main.

Comments

• 1. Newspaper+VisionIAS mentioned by you are sufficient provided you do stick to it.

2.I am not sure about the relevance of Yojana and Krukshetra for Prelims. AFAIK, they act as supplement/fodder for Mains answers.

3. CSC/PD can surely be sidelined from CSE Prelims perspective.

• razycrazy said:

1. Newspaper+VisionIAS mentioned by you are sufficient provided you do stick to it.

2.I am not sure about the relevance of Yojana and Krukshetra for Prelims. AFAIK, they act as supplement/fodder for Mains answers.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Actually, doing Yojana and Kurukshetra for Main Exam, so added these two resources for Prelims as well. :)
  • razycrazy said:

1. Newspaper+VisionIAS mentioned by you are sufficient provided you do stick to it.

Agree , instead of going for everything out there just stick to newspaper and vision booklets, revise it re-revise it. If you want to add something extra go for a good test series, investing in a test series is very rewarding. I've felt that most people take test series as a one way exercise i.e they take it as an evaluation exercise. Test series should not be done that way , it should be an exercise in realigning your thinking pattern with the demands of question paper, an exercise in learning to salvage useful information from questions to reach the correct answer.
    If you do this - vision +hindu/mint/IE + test series and have a good grasp over your static syllabus, you can comfortably make it to next stage , though some amount of luck does matter at prelims stage................a kind soul who made it through gave me this advice, i am following same , lets see how it pans out ...at b
    signature
  • how to make notes out of the hindu for pre.
  • what about insights daily CAs are they worth doing daily or investing time on this?
  • Not my opinion but a person who got selected for IAS this year told me that Vision CA + The Hindu combo is more than enough. I did not ask specifically from prelims point of view.
  • edited November 5
    @Rodion Raskolnikov Thanks you.
    @vibhusharma Go through the below mentioned link: https://byjus.com/free-ias-prep/notes-from-newspaper-for-upsc-current-affairs
    @BeTTor It is good, but you can't depend only on them. It can't replace newspaper. Moreover, it is exclusively for Main Exam. You can see the news classified sub-section wise.
    @polsci2018 Thanks a lot. And, that must be for Prelims because for Main examination, the more you read, the better it is for you. But, of course, not too much.
  • @Rodion Raskolnikov Thanks you.
    @vibhusharma Go through the below mentioned link: https://byjus.com/free-ias-prep/notes-from-newspaper-for-upsc-current-affairs
    @BeTTor It is good, but you can't depend only on them. It can't replace newspaper. Moreover, it is exclusively for Main Exam. You can see the news classified sub-section wise.
    @polsci2018 Thanks a lot. And, that must be for Prelims because for Main examination, the more you read, the better it is for you. But, of course, not too much.

thanks for link.
  • which strategy is right for current affairs specifically from pre point of view

1. reading newspaper without making notes and for revision following other coahing material

2. reading newspaper along with making notes (writing the factual things)
  • which strategy is right for current affairs specifically from pre point of view

1. reading newspaper without making notes and for revision following other coahing material

Make notes but only for issues like atticle 35A , privacy judgement, ipc 375 and marital rape etc....these might come in handy for mains but are not much useful for prelims imo , so for prelims rather make a list of imp news that you have a hunch on....and when you are revising in march spend more time on these listed points.....here im presuming that you know how to navigate your way through the clutter of irrelevant news......so  the answer to your question is do a bit of both
    signature

@vibhusharma See, I personally don't like note making, particularly from newspapers. Also, the questions that appear in Prelims of CSE are quite different from those asked in banking exams. So, noting down the factual matters won't be that much helpful. Questions are asked typically like this: 'XYZ' has been recently in news. It belongs to which of the following fields. You won't be asked questions like this: Who of the following has recently been made Brand Ambassador of 'Tourism Australia'. So, In my opinion, revising things again and again from the source itself (or taking help of coaching materials) is more helpful that making notes.
  • razycrazy said:

u can yourself find out ans to such question.
    eg read ias baba synopsis on agriculture wali yojna..
    and see ppr3 and essay topic related to agriculture and see if u really needed to read any of those things..

@vibhusharma See, I personally don't like note making, particularly from newspapers. Also, the questions that appear in Prelims of CSE are quite different from those asked in banking exams. So, noting down the factual matters won't be that much helpful. Questions are asked typically like this: 'XYZ' has been recently in news. It belongs to which of the following fields. You won't be asked questions like this: Who of the following has recently been made Brand Ambassador of 'Tourism Australia'. So, In my opinion, revising things again and again from the source itself (or taking help of coaching materials) is more helpful that making notes.
    thanks a lot.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog