MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batch of WESTERN Philosophy starting on 30th Nov. (EVENING) 05:00 PM-7:15 PM.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Guys ! killed by Geography optional 2017.

Share your pain. Paper was indeed very difficult.

Comments

• Ahh.. I remember this guy.He was mocking those who were discussing mains answers last year.
    CSE 2016 Indian Police Service ( IPS )
  • Let's give a representation to UPSC
  • Bhai itna bhi bura nahi that bas paper 1 ka part 1 short notes tough tha. Baki easy hi laga. straightforward tha.
    Bas geographical angles se answer likhe to marks chadh jayega.
    Load na lo.
    Marks achche ayenge. Scalling zindabad.
  • AmurTiger said:

Bhai itna bhi bura nahi that bas paper 1 ka part 1 short notes tough tha. Baki easy hi laga. straightforward tha.
    Load na lo.

Yaar paper 2 Mai straight forward questions they.I am not able to understand the "geographic angle" in them.
  • Ek baar sb representation dedo ..atleast is baar nhn kch hota next yr thoda to soch kr bnaenge geo ka ..consistently lga rkhi is ek subject ki ..
  • AmurTiger said:

Bhai itna bhi bura nahi that bas paper 1 ka part 1 short notes tough tha. Baki easy hi laga. straightforward tha.
    Load na lo.

Yaar paper 2 Mai straight forward questions they.I am not able to understand the "geographic angle" in them.
    which question?
    Lets discuss..
  • edited November 5
    AmurTiger said:

AmurTiger said:

Load na lo.

which question?
    Lets discuss..
    Ashok mitra
    IRNSS
    GST
    Farmer suicides
    Satluj-yamuna link
    Industrial regions (here weber could be applied but 3 pages and the huge content asked meant little space to write )

• AmurTiger said:

AmurTiger said:

Load na lo.

which question?
    Lets discuss..
    Ashok mitra
    IRNSS
    GST
    Farmer suicides
    Satluj-yamuna link
    Industrial regions (here weber could be applied but 3 pages and the huge content asked meant little space to write )

Ashok Mitra - I wrote about various classifications of towns in half page then functional classification in India - qazi Ahmed, Amrit Lal, ashok Mitra

Farmer suicide - linked to lack of agro climatic planning, and land holding among other factors.

Irnss - related to India as net security provider in ior plus with saarc satellite, soft power etc

Syl canal - only geographical angle I put in was a small map and Punjab Haryana issue wrt water irrigation

Industrial regions I primarily focused on b n Sinha classification
  • edited November 5
    Ashok mitra to majid hussain, huma geography me dia hai shayad. I remember I read them. though I didnt attempt it.

Irnss, Navigation, navigation itself a geographical angle. that to geopolitical angle. Like no dependence on other and hegemony in Indian ocean etc. Main geo points were navigation and geopolitical.

GST me movement of goods between states. Destination based tax, consumer state will get tax and producer wont. Developed state has higher purchasing power and more consumption, so they will get more tax even though product is produced in underdeveloped state. Main geographical point was movement of goods.

Farmer suicide me monsoon, cropping pattern, irrigation, etc.

Satluj yamuna was explicitly asked political angle.

So the thing I personally felt there was no breadth, but very specific reasoning. So one may felt writing less. But questions were logical I felt.
  • Did anyone attempt the minority at border question?
  • nandini said:

Did anyone attempt the minority at border question?

yes. I attempted.
    I mentioned zorastrians in konkan, christian at west coast due to dutch colony of goa and north east due to missionaries. sikh in punjab due to forced border during partition. Muslim spread over all the country with exception of Kashmir where they r majority and on border.
    Consequences. - similar culture both side of the boundry. this converts boundry into frontier etc.
    issues: terrorism, conflict, tensions etc.
  • AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

yes. I attempted.
    I mentioned zorastrians in konkan, christian at west coast due to dutch colony of goa and north east due to missionaries. sikh in punjab due to forced border during partition. Muslim spread over all the country with exception of Kashmir where they r majority and on border.
    Consequences. - similar culture both side of the boundry. this converts boundry into frontier etc.
    Similar points I've mentioned. Also mentioned Jains in Gujarat and Rajasthan due to medieval migration.
  • nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

yes. I attempted.
    Similar points I've mentioned. Also mentioned Jains in Gujarat and Rajasthan due to medieval migration.
    How much you got last year?
  • AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

yes. I attempted.
    Didn't clear prelims last year. In my last mains got low in paper 1, ok in paper 2 according to that year.
  • edited November 5
    nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

yes. I attempted.
    Didn't clear prelims last year. In my last mains got low in paper 1, ok in paper 2 according to that year.
    I got 87+102 last year. :(
    Hoping for 230-240 this year with similar marking
    I guess it wont be sufficient. Need to improve a lot. learn how to write application oriented answers.
    Pata nahi. But I felt current pattern of paper is good and it discourages rote learning. Its just am not able to perform.
  • is saal mushkil tha

general say sawaaal puch liye jin mai "geo angle" fit karna mushkil horaha tha

then some questions kabi sunay na tha

plus i wrote asok mitra wala ulta. Uska classification based on that triangular graph wrote as one of general methods and that 6 division classificatin wrote as Mitra's

sab gadbad hua
  • then3 page par couldn't fit industrail regions as i used one page for a big map

map question bi mushkil tha thoda

IRNSSS par navigaion, aiviation, secuirty likh dala

GST ka destination based likha and 1% inter state gst jo nai hua woh bakwaas likha and bola ki gareeb states ko faida aye ga (but looking at commens above, dont know how correct that is as i remember that inter state gdp was being demanded by developed states)
  • messed up is saal ka monsoon ka pattern as i only knew floods in north and draught in south

i gave monsoon trough along himalyan foothills as reason and wrote some non sense reason for south indian drought related to wind shear and high pressure
  • overall it was difficult from last year
  • Imad said:

messed up is saal ka monsoon ka pattern as i only knew floods in north and draught in south

i gave monsoon trough along himalyan foothills as reason and wrote some non sense reason for south indian drought related to wind shear and high pressure

Monsoon and gst I messed because gst I left for last and then couldn't give structure and missed some points.
    Monsoon again even I had scarce info. Wrote some rubbish. Flood and drought I wrote but nothing specific..
  • One doubt I had : in land reform question I wrote about state of land reforms (area under zamindari etc) at time of independence then wrote about land reforms 4 components and then ended with niti aayog 3yr plan reco (t. Haque committee) on land leasing saying that land reforms are a continuing process and this reform is needed now.
    Is it ok? As in will the checker feel that the niti aayog thing was not needed ? I felt it will make it more comprehensive
  • AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

AmurTiger said:

nandini said:

yes. I attempted.
    I got 87+102 last year. :(
    Hoping for 230-240 this year with similar marking
    I guess it wont be sufficient. Need to improve a lot. learn how to write application oriented answers.
    Pata nahi. But I felt current pattern of paper is good and it discourages rote learning. Its just am not able to perform.
    Your boundary to Frontier point is good. I missed it
  • AmurTiger said:

Ashok mitra to majid hussain, huma geography me dia hai shayad. I remember I read them. though I didnt attempt it.

Irnss, Navigation, navigation itself a geographical angle. that to geopolitical angle. Like no dependence on other and hegemony in Indian ocean etc. Main geo points were navigation and geopolitical.

GST me movement of goods between states. Destination based tax, consumer state will get tax and producer wont. Developed state has higher purchasing power and more consumption, so they will get more tax even though product is produced in underdeveloped state. Main geographical point was movement of goods.

So the thing I personally felt there was no breadth, but very specific reasoning. So one may felt writing less. But questions were logical I felt.

Ashok mitra alok ranjan sir k notes me ache se dia hua h ..

farmer suicides me i think region wise deal kr skte..like punjab has different issues ..Maharashtra has diff ..like Maharashtra me sugarcane industries bhot h ..so they grow sugarcane ..but lack of irrigation facilities ..dryland agri ..so totally monsoon dependent ..nd in case of lack of rains ..suicides ..
    besides general points like land fragmentation ..higher input cost ..etc ..

gst me guj mh i.e. developed states ..while up bihar undeveloped states aise bta skte ..

Is my approach correct in these ?
  • edited November 5
    Looking at above answers I have realised that I have written geographic points without realising them.but again missed certain points in irnss like soft power,forex earner etc

In GST basic idea expected was(my perception) developed States would lose out on revenue because excise(manufacturing) revenue gone.

Developing states benefit from more revenue as it is a destination based tax.

Also wrote removal of inter state barriers would promote investment in less developed states and subsequent advantages.

In farmer suicides I wrote factors concentrating on those 3 states like salinisation,informal credit,failure of GM technology (pink bollworm), droughts,lack of MSP operation for crops grown in Maha and AP etc

Also wrote a passing reference to suicides due to marriage expenses,failed love affairs( this was said by minister in parliament)

And then generic solutions.but 2 pages for a topic on which essay can be written will mean everyone will miss some or the other points.

• AmurTiger said:

farmer suicides me i think region wise deal kr skte..like punjab has different issues ..Maharashtra has diff ..like Maharashtra me sugarcane industries bhot h ..so they grow sugarcane ..but lack of irrigation facilities ..dryland agri ..so totally monsoon dependent ..nd in case of lack of rains ..suicides ..

gst me guj mh i.e. developed states ..while up bihar undeveloped states aise bta skte ..

Correct. I also tried incorporating region specific stuff in suicides especially cotton Risk and sugarcane water requirement. Beyond that space was too less because farmer suicides in itself has too many dimensions.
  • AmurTiger said:

yo bro absolutely. Just mention ur previous marks. Isse kuch idea lage ki is saal kaise marks aayenge.
  • nandini said:

One doubt I had : in land reform question I wrote about state of land reforms (area under zamindari etc) at time of independence then wrote about land reforms 4 components and then ended with niti aayog 3yr plan reco (t. Haque committee) on land leasing saying that land reforms are a continuing process and this reform is needed now.
    Is it ok? As in will the checker feel that the niti aayog thing was not needed ? I felt it will make it more comprehensive

I wrote land reform all 4 components with their relative success or failure . 2 hi page tha :p

baqi kuch recomendations kay liye space nai mila
  • Imad said:

messed up is saal ka monsoon ka pattern as i only knew floods in north and draught in south

Monsoon KO kuch Bhi ho ,climate change,El Nino,changing land use pattern pe blame Kar do.Read one two news articles wrt the question and they say the same.

Aur pattern change nai wahi ghisa pita change in precipitation intensity and distribution,late onset, floods in North etc.
  • AmurTiger said:

AmurTiger said:

aisay to sahe hi lagg raha hai
  • Has anyone attempted hill transport subsidy?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog