Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open! Community Meet 3 – June 10th | 2PM | Meet Anudeep, Abhishek, Sachin, Apurva and Ankita Mishra & the Toppers of CSE 2017

PSIR 2017 mains discussion

Same time of the year, now that mains have come to an end can someone do me and other inexperienced aspirants a favor and discuss the strategy required based on this years input so that we might have some shot next year.

Seniors a request please take your time relax but give just 5-10 minutes on discussing strategy on approaching pol sci I mean not just the book list but also the newspaper
(which author to follow etc etc.)

i humbly request you sirs please oblige

Comments

• Paper 1 conventional
    Paper 2 full current affairs
    Mains-01 (864 Marks)
    Interview-01
    Tryst with Prelims 2018
  • Seniors can you please throw some light on the preparation of PSIR for 2018. What would be your key takeaways from 2017 optional paper..
  • anyone please throw some light on this years paper
  • Excuse me for slightly deviating from the topic but is anyone up for some polsci answer writing practice? Let us write one answer everyday and discuss it. It will barely take 30 minutes of your time.
  • Seniors, please clarify if OP Gauba is indispensable? I find it very difficult to read through.
  • @polsci2018 You may begin with Andrew Heywood. Then, Gauba would seem easy, and use it to fill the gaps.
    Not aware specifically for answer-writing practice ones (in working, now), but there are several discussion groups, on telegram.
  • Thanks @maskeen. Will give Heywood a try before moving on to Gauba.
  • Don't read Heywood political theory @polsci2018 It does not have roi.
    I did same mistake last year. Don't try to go for too many sources. Restrict yourself to one source for one topic.
  • Thanks @maskeen. Will give Heywood a try before moving on to Gauba.

Take guidance from someone who has either given mains or preparing for long time. First make a good plan then start otherwise you wont be able to complete things.
  • @Bharat2017

Thank you. I would like to know more about your experiences with polsci.
  • Honestly I am not in position to guide anyone, if I do, one could be misguided.
    @harry90 who has given mains , pm him, he may help.
  • please seniors guide us on how to approach political science very confused what to do what not to do everyone knows book list but how to approach it what to study like thinkers section and current affairs how to study what articles to look out for

my sincere request please help
  • Yaar for paper 2 it is really essential to follow newspaper with projectsyndicate if you are planning to attempt 2 questions from Section A. If you are planning to attempt 2 qyestions from Section B, then India's world RSTV is really helpful!

For paper 1- its conventional, study conventionally. Jo har baar ata hai, wohi aya hai!

Thats my take away after giving this year's mains
    Mains-01 (864 Marks)
    Interview-01
    Tryst with Prelims 2018
  • I am a newbie to political science but as far as am concerned am following this approach. Please correct me seniors if I am going in wrong direction. First I am reading just SR mam notes which I bought from online store flavido. For Paper 1 part A, I believe her notes and ignou would be more than sufficient. For Part B, Lakshmikanth polity and modern history by Bipin. For Paper 2 Part A, again SR mam notes and IGNOU. Part B current affairs. Following IR is key here. I would not read Gauba or Heywood until I grasp subject from SR mam notes and IGNOU.
  • I am a newbie to political science but as far as am concerned am following this approach. Please correct me seniors if I am going in wrong direction. First I am reading just SR mam notes which I bought from online store flavido. For Paper 1 part A, I believe her notes and ignou would be more than sufficient. For Part B, Lakshmikanth polity and modern history by Bipin. For Paper 2 Part A, again SR mam notes and IGNOU. Part B current affairs. Following IR is key here. I would not read Gauba or Heywood until I grasp subject from SR mam notes and IGNOU.

Seems correct :)
    Mains-01 (864 Marks)
    Interview-01
    Tryst with Prelims 2018
  • Will anyone tell if it was beneficial to insert thinkers in section B of both the papers in this year mains and how much weightage does it had upon marks ? If we compare it wih last mains marks
  • Rawls' theory of justice is both contractual and distributive. Examine.(CSE, 2017)

Does anyone have a clue on how to proceed with this? How do I examine if his theory is contractual? Please help.

• Rawls' theory of justice is both contractual and distributive. Examine.(CSE, 2017)

Does anyone have a clue on how to proceed with this? How do I examine if his theory is contractual? Please help.

He uses contract theory to arrive at his theory of justice....basically original position,veil of ignorance,overlapping consensus,public reasoning are all part of contract and distributive part can be interpreted from difference principle which allows for inequalities in society for welfare of least advantage section of society.
  • Thank you @deewanamastana

So, I just need to give examples and explain from his theory(veil, OP etc) to show that his theory involved a contract and also do similarly with the distributive part?
  • @Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

6 mains experience...If you are english medium student, religiously follow SR mam notes..My roommate got 315 last year in his first attempt...
  • @hopinginfifthmains

Thank you. I will keep this in mind.
  • @Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

6 mains experience...If you are english medium student, religiously follow SR mam notes..My roommate got 315 last year in his first attempt...
    and my friend scored 210 by following her notes.........
  • rkr06 said:

@Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

@Bharat2017

and my friend scored 210 by following her notes.........
    Lol
  • What could be the average score if ones complete the paper with some decent key words here and there?
  • Rk.Ifs said:

What could be the average score if ones complete the paper with some decent key words here and there?

210-220...last year comparison me
  • rkr06 said:

Rk.Ifs said:

What could be the average score if ones complete the paper with some decent key words here and there?

210-220...last year comparison me
    What else need to be done bro for getting 300 plus?
    U appeared last year?
  • How many people with PSIR optional might have given Mains this year? Any idea ?
  • Hello everyone.. Are their any good online coaching classes for PSIR? I can't attend offline coaching as I am working. I know about GS Score, how good/bad is it?
  • Can someone explain the characteristics of post-feminism ? and compare them with radical feminism
  • Can someone explain the characteristics of post-feminism ? and compare them with radical feminism

Post feminism highlights the differences within the women's movement. It suggests that traditional feminism is biased in favor of white upper middle class women of the West .
    Note that while radical feminism focuses on absolute equality.....post feminism cautions against being male identified .. Means post feminists are concerned that the quest for equality with men should not lead to erosion of original characteristics of women ..
    When the going gets tough, the tough gets going :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog