MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

ESSAY CSM 2017 - HUMAN LAW VS NATURAL LAW – REPRESENTATION TO UPSC

@mods kindly let this thread stay and delete the other one

Many of us who have attempted this essay have assumed natural law in the context of laws of nature but not from philosophical context. We have written the essay from environment point of view. Usage of the phrase "prakritik niyam" but not "prakritik kanoon" in hindi also was misleading.

As per new representation rules of Upsc, complaints can be made only till 7 days after that particular exam is over. Since essay was held last Saturday, representation has to be made this week only. UPSC rules and representation procedure has been enclosed. Kindly take out some time and fill it as if Upsc doesn't entertain our perspective, good marks in optional have no value.

Atleast make a rough draft on paper and keep it ready. It hardly takes 10 minutes. Kindly pass on the message and try to rope in some coaching center people who can lead the issue. Also try to mention about the hindi version. For some reason the hindi argument seems to be working oflate.

Comments

• UPSC rules and representation procedure enclosed with this post.

My pointers for representation:

1. Since it is a generalist exam and not an exam in philosophy or law, this issue can be put before UPSC and our interpretation may be considered.

2. Prakritik niyam phrase in hindi made us interpret the question as pertaining to environment and nature. (You folks can type "prakritik niyam" on google and see that everything that is shown is related to nature and environment, even the wikipedia definition)

3. Since it is a general essay, we may be evaluated based on our presentation, coherence and content even if interpretation of question is wrong.

4. The question itself is ambiguous, considering that we are not philosophy or law students. Moreover these subjects are not included in our civils syllabus

Try to send as many representations as you can and plead UPSC. Time is running out.
    Please propose a few more pointers for representation.

• Looks like the UPSC timeframe rules are not getting attached. I am providing the hyperlink to the representation rules on UPSC website below:

http://59.180.234.159/sites/default/files/Exam_TimeFrameRepresentation_Engl.pdf

http://www.upsc.gov.in/highlights
  • Writing in caps is tantamount to shouting. It doesn't look good either. Please edit and write the name of this thread in the suitable way.
  • Please copy paste your draft here. That would induce more people to send it. @adam_joseph
  • I intend to submit the representation. I'll be drafting it tomorrow after the exam is over. Pls share the draft you have prepared.
  • philosophy wala natural law is called prakritik vidhi in hindi, please add this argument too to your draft.
  • There is also a precedent of endangered essay multiple interpretations like last year. And we must send many representations else it might be ignored. Guys we dont have time.
  • please guys @adam_joseph @nandini share the draft
  • edited November 3
    @nandini @adam_joseph and others, here is my draft.
    Dear Chairman - UPSC,
    Subject: Regarding the essay "we may brave human laws but we cannot resist natural laws" in essay paper held on 28th October, Civil service mains exam 2017.
    This is the quote given by Jules Verne. But the confusion is regarding the term "natural laws". In philosophy, through the strict interpretation of the term natural laws yields that Natural law, a system of right or justice held to be common to all humans and derived from nature rather than from the rules of society.
    But the MAJORITY(70-80% based on small enumeration) of us interpreted the term natural law as laws of nature i.e. from an environmental perspective. We felt the quote is apt given the big problem of global warming that we are facing today by violating the nature's design.
    Also, Prakritik niyam phrase in Hindi made us interpret the question as pertaining to environment and nature too.
    Moreover, this is a generalist exam and it is not expected to know the literal meaning of the word except the people from law or philosophy background. Hence, we kindly request you to consider this alternate explanation also.
    UPSC was kind enough to consider multiple interpretations regarding the ambiguity around the term "engendered" in essay paper of 2016 civil service mains. We sincerely hope that UPSC would be kind enough in this case also.
    So, we request again to consider our case as our interpretation was not arbitrary but grounded on the current issues the world is facing in terms of environment.
    Regards,
    4th November 2017.
  • vinpat said:

@nandini @adam_joseph and others, here is my draft.
    Dear Chairman - UPSC,
    Subject: Regarding the essay "we may brave human laws but we cannot resist natural laws" in essay paper held on 28th October, Civil service mains exam 2017.
    This is the quote given by Jules Verne. But the confusion is regarding the term "natural laws". In philosophy, through the strict interpretation of the term natural laws yields that Natural law, a system of right or justice held to be common to all humans and derived from nature rather than from the rules of society.
    But the MAJORITY(70-80% based on small enumeration) of us interpreted the term natural law as laws of nature i.e. from an environmental perspective. We felt the quote is apt given the big problem of global warming that we are facing today by violating the nature's design.
    Also, Prakritik niyam phrase in Hindi made us interpret the question as pertaining to environment and nature too.
    Moreover, this is a generalist exam and it is not expected to know the literal meaning of the word except the people from law or philosophy background. Hence, we kindly request you to consider this alternate explanation also.
    UPSC was kind enough to consider multiple interpretations regarding the ambiguity around the term "engendered" in essay paper of 2016 civil service mains. We sincerely hope that UPSC would be kind enough in this case also.
    So, we request again to consider our case as our interpretation was not arbitrary but grounded on the current issues the world is facing in terms of environment.
    Regards,
    4th November 2017.

Seems good...
  • I tried to send the mail to the email address mentioned in the pdf but it failed to deliver. Did any one else face this problem?
  • @maverick_ I did not face any issue. I have sent it. examination-upsc@gov.in , this is the mail-id you are sending it to right?
  • I'll be preparing the draft today. I couldn't do so yesterday. I'll share the draft when I prepare.
    Please send the mail today those who intend to. We have time till today evening only :)
  • Type the full Address using keyboard. If you copy paste there is some encoding character in UFT-8 also copied.Thats why it fails.
  • https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/natural_law

You can put dictionary definition argument too.

1. A body of unchanging moral principles regarded as a basis for all human conduct.
    2. An observable law relating to natural phenomena.
  • Please do it within 6pm.
  • vinpat said:

Please do it within 6pm.

Yes pls do it by 6pm everyone. This will be our last bit of hardwork for this mains. Let's do our bit so that some stress can be lifted.
  • @vinpat your representation is very comprehensive and well framed. All the best :)
  • nandini said:

@vinpat your representation is very comprehensive and well framed. All the best :)</blo
    +1..mai bhi hu..kya karna hai...

• raj87 said:

nandini said:

@vinpat your representation is very comprehensive and well framed. All the best :)

Read the first two comments for what needs to be done. :) Frame your representation and if possible post it here for the benefit of others. Also send it ASAP today. Deadline today 6pm
  • Just curious - do you people know of ANYONE who attempted this with the philosophy interpretation? I don't
  • @raj87 prepare a small write up as above. You can take above arguments also and send the mail to examination-upsc@gov.in within 6pm today.
  • Please, any noble soul. Request you to share the draft.
  • bhej sakte ho representation, but kuch hone wala nahi- yahi to test tha is essay ka that whether u know meaning or not?

is tarah to last twenty thirty years me aaye upsc ke sare philosophical topics wale essay cancel hone chahiye... aur haan beti ye last bit of hardwork nahi hai, petty kosish hai lobbying karne ki which u r entitled to move ahead with just to realise we should not attempt that essay if not clear..
  • Cosmo said:

Please, any noble soul. Request you to share the draft.

Vinpat has shared above.
  • ass said:

bhej sakte ho representation, but kuch hone wala nahi- yahi to test tha is essay ka that whether u know meaning or not?

is tarah to last twenty thirty years me aaye upsc ke sare philosophical topics wale essay cancel hone chahiye... aur haan beti ye last bit of hardwork nahi hai, petty kosish hai lobbying karne ki which u r entitled to move ahead with just to realise we should not attempt that essay if not clear..

Its called advocacy rather than lobbying. Just trying to make our valid grievances addressed.
  • ass said:

bhej sakte ho representation, but kuch hone wala nahi- yahi to test tha is essay ka that whether u know meaning or not?

kripya apna gyan apne pASS*rakhe.. kyunki yaha sab gyani hai..
  • nandini said:

Cosmo said:

Vinpat has shared above.
    Bas usko copy karke bhej dena hai?
  • Cosmo said:

nandini said:

Cosmo said:

Vinpat has shared above.
    Bas usko copy karke bhej dena hai?
    Edit it just a bit.
  • Dont copy paste please!. make it genuine by providing your own words.
    To show your seriousness at least.
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog