MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Essay UPSC 2018 Social Media Question

edited October 29 in Essay
This is some Quote and if you read more on its meaning,the word "Inherently" mattered way more than anything else.
Capture.JPG
597 x 173 - 22K

Comments

• What according to u is it's significance
  • I googled and the quotation is attributed to one Pam Dyer. A google search brings up a forbes article which credits one Pam Dyer as being one of the top 50 social media influencers. I will hazard they are the same person.

The "human law/natural law" topic is also a quote by Jules Verne . It is a sentence lifted directly from 20,000 leagues under the sea.
  • edited October 29
    ^this is partially right way to deal with this answer. They didnt ask people on social media are selfish so all those examples such as guys harassing women, people trolling won't work.This is why i think it was damn tricky
    There are two ways to write- one is "Bad elements in society use social media as platform to harass women or Terrorist are using social media to do.. XYZ"- This i guess is completely wrong approach to it. It means you are saying social media is used selfishly. That is not the question at all. It is INHERENTLY SELFISH. That means social media itself as an independent identity is characteristically selfish. Thus, another way to write the same thing- "Social media promotes terrorist activity. Social media promotes sexual harassment" - this will be the right way. This, small LINGUISTIC difference made by INHERENT will be too huge
    Pam Dyer used it to say that- Social Media platforms only care about how good your content is, can it have wide reach and can it use its selfish elements such as that "Like" on Fb as a dopamine to reach more people. Social media is so selfish that once you login to FB you never delete your account, it keeps you into it
    Blue Whale Game example- Again, not by saying that "People use Social media to harm others and spread violent activities/ criminal activities"- Goes wrong. It should be like- "Social Media propogates harmful activities such as Blue Whale Game by attracting vulnerable elements toward it and keeping them on the platform till they finally loose their life
    Social Media platforms such as those on DARK WEB can be great example in this essay
    Social Media platforms such as Twitter do not care about if content is harming others, violating their rights etc. It is only about how popular the content is and how many people are coming to the platform to read it,so that it can make more money etc
    Social Media disguises as free and takes away our privacy.
    ^So all these points and many others i think are appropriate for this.
    P.S. For Sociology Optional friends, this is basically thinking about Social Media as a social structure with a life of its own (Sui Generis) - Durkheim
  • Basuroy said:

I googled and the quotation is attributed to one Pam Dyer. A google search brings up a forbes article which credits one Pam Dyer as being one of the top 50 social media influencers. I will hazard they are the same person.

The "human law/natural law" topic is also a quote by Jules Verne . It is a sentence lifted directly from 20,000 leagues under the sea.

"Human law/Natural Law" question is on climate change. My friend wrote that. Hope he gets selected :)
  • ^this is partially right way to deal with this answer. They didnt ask people on social media are selfish so all those examples such as guys harassing women, people trolling won't work.This is why i think it was damn tricky
    There are two ways to write- one is "Bad elements in society use social media as platform to harass women or Terrorist are using social media to do.. XYZ"- This i guess is completely wrong approach to it. It means you are saying social media is used selfishly. That is not the question at all. It is INHERENTLY SELFISH. That means social media itself as an independent identity is characteristically selfish. Thus, another way to write the same thing- "Social media promotes terrorist activity. Social media promotes sexual harassment" - this will be the right way. This, small LINGUISTIC difference made by INHERENT will be too huge
    Pam Dyer used it to say that- Social Media platforms only care about how good your content is, can it have wide reach and can it use its selfish elements such as that "Like" on Fb as a dopamine to reach more people. Social media is so selfish that once you login to FB you never delete your account, it keeps you into it
    Blue Whale Game example- Again, not by saying that "People use Social media to harm others and spread violent activities/ criminal activities"- Goes wrong. It should be like- "Social Media propogates harmful activities such as Blue Whale Game by attracting vulnerable elements toward it and keeping them on the platform till they finally loose their life
    Social Media platforms such as those on DARK WEB can be great example in this essay
    Social Media platforms such as Twitter do not care about if content is harming others, violating their rights etc. It is only about how popular the content is and how many people are coming to the platform to read it,so that it can make more money etc
    Social Media disguises as free and takes away our privacy.
    ^So all these points and many others i think are appropriate for this.
    P.S. For Sociology Optional friends, this is basically thinking about Social Media as a social structure with a life of its own (Sui Generis) - Durkheim

I don't agree with you.. A sword is inherently dangerous but it depends on the user how to use it

• edited October 30
    ^this will be a conclusion or something and not the body. Sword cannot have its own life. Social Media has its own life, its own features and its own algorithms to ensure what to show, what to block. Can your sword stop itself from cutting others all by itself? Does your sword make money? Social Media is a very living being in this Ques.
    I already mentioned what you are talking about in the second sentence. Question is not about how people use it promote good or bad. It is about selfishness of the Social Media.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog