ForumIAS Prelims 2018 Open Test:Result Declared
A score of 80+ would be a good score whereas 70+ is a decent score.To Check Result Click here
There are some changes in Solution and Answer Key. Click here

LLL - Lessons Learnt in Last month!!!

many of us might experienced it, at least for the first mains. we prepare for almost one or one and half year but in the last month of our preparation only we REALISE that we should have done THIS from first day of our preparation or we should have done this in ANOTHER way. likewise we get many inputs in the last month. so this thread is to share those INPUTS. may those inputs will be helpful for persons like me who are at their initial stages of preparation.

Comments

• GS : Select 2 test series like vision & insight or that You wrote. Revise them atleast 3 times.
    Optional: same things for optional too but try to write in full depth.
    Start reading compulsory paper too atleast 1 hour. Many persons fail in it every year

Try to make a list of last one year Hot topics. And all pro and cons on tips.

This time never go to any inexperience or frustrated person for review try to being isolate, watch motivational things

Love this journey and struggle.
  • Discuss lots with friends those Giving mains or Good.
    Discuss basic book to book.
    Don't ignore basics books in this current affairs gathering. Revise them too.
    You all know value if static part.

All the best.
  • I've been an ardent opposer of notes, as many here would know.
    But I've changed my stance now, and strongly urge everyone to make integrated static + CA notes from the beginning of prep. And constantly improve upon them (make them more concise, distilled, relevant).
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    But I've changed my stance now, and strongly urge everyone to make integrated static + CA notes from the beginning of prep. And constantly improve upon them (make them more concise, distilled, relevant).

Thank you!
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Be organised in your notes making.

Finally ! Good change doc king. No replacement to self-notes atleast for 99% people here. No matter who you are this habit makes you BETTER YOU. :)

My bit

# Either you don't read anything or make a 1:10 concise notes of it on the SAME DAY SAME TIME or Write one 200 word question on the topic on same day. Keep revising and Keep Improving.

The Better you do this. The Better you score. Tge faster you become a Civil Servant.

Good nightttt :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

Finally ! Good change doc king. No replacement to self-notes atleast for 99% people here. No matter who you are this habit makes you BETTER YOU. :)

My bit

# Either you don't read anything or make a 1:10 concise notes of it on the SAME DAY SAME TIME or Write one 200 word question on the topic on same day. Keep revising and Keep Improving.

The Better you do this. The Better you score. Tge faster you become a Civil Servant.

Good nightttt :)
    +1 I have also been doing this, reading w/o making note on it is waste. But I've started pretty late, in my 3rd attempt, and at a late phase even in that, trying to make synopsis. Feel I m quite a laggard. Just hope I can attempt 18-20 questions in all GS papers, and able to hang on to something in this year's list.
  • @mods @Neyawn please make this announcement atleast for a day or two
  • thanks for all replies... please spread this thread to reach every senior aspirant.
  • In last month, Aspirants are in state of delusion. Not right time to take tips. I know no one will agree but who cares.
  • @Neyawn Inputs please! 1st mains here. Suggestions for last 1 month!
    Tryst with Mains 2017
  • start making notes from the beginning ...notes should be innovative with diagrams , flowcharts, and nicely organised.
    those following insights secure should also maintain monthwise notes or subject wise notes. dont just rely on printed material. ultimately one has to reproduce our knowlege in exam whic is only possible by revision.
    vision monthly magazine should be filterd and crisp notes that suits u should be prepared.

write down revision plan once u are done with syllabus like what to revise after what. "THE MORE ORGANISED U ARE MORE EARLY U WILL BECOME CIVIL SERVANT". this suggestion is for 2018 exam takers.
  • In last month
    One should leave aside all the doubts. And prepare like whatever happened , happened. Try to not worry a lot about whether you can or not.
    Try to instead give your full from now. Do not waste time. And do not worry about sleep.
    If you are not able to sleep at night then get up and finish something instead of just trying to sleep and getting frustrated in return. You will sleep optimally every 3-4 days as you will be tired.
    Try to have a half day break every week if you can.
    Only thing i learnt in one time i wrote mains is yes you can. Leave all self doubts aside and instead work very very hard. And it really happens! Especially for the first timers as they are filled with lots of self doubts.
  • This is the right thread that needs immediate closure. Even without writing the first paper, OP is fishing the anxieties of others. Utter wastage of time.

If need be, open it after exam.
  • i see mixed response to this thread
    those who shared their insights were really helpful. @Praish @DrKingSchuItz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @jill gave good suggestions and especially @win_2017 's response lead me to do some changes in my preparation. thank you @win_2017 .
    i know that senior aspirants are too busy wth their preparation in the last month.
    reason for starting this in last month before the exam is to make a list of 'insights' regarding preparation that many aspirants get in this period. only those aspirants who are free to comment will comment. others can comment once the exam is finished.
    so please share your VALUABLE insights here at your convenient time. thank you.
  • I personally don't think such thread sould be aired before mains as it leaves many in tension.
    After mains yes. But total no during these days. And it really feels like fishing on anxiety of others. No offence meant.
  • Well, I guess everyone learns a lot of lessons in the last month.
    For now, I will address those who are giving mains this year.
    In case you have ever taken a mains test series, take out those answer booklets, read ur answers, remember the mistakes pointed out and read the suggestions written by the checker, again n again. Underline them and write them down separately.
    Those who have still not practiced answer writing, start now. Even 3 weeks of writing will help u a lot. If u have a friend who can check your answers or u can mutually check each other's, that too will be immensely beneficial. Else, check them yourself the next day. Again, dont write just for the sake of it. Unless u are analysing ur mistakes and correcting them next time, it will not be very helpful.
    I did this for essay last year and scored above 165.
    On exam days, instead of revising notes, I was repeating the suggestions and remembering what Not to do while writing. Because firstly, according to me, it is futile to revise notes just before exam. Secondly, every person is unique, with their unique mistakes. And that is why, u need to remember to correct the mistakes that you commit.
    Even while writing, think before you write, so as to avoid crossing out things and making the page untidy. Dont jump after reading a question thinking u know it. Sometimes it is very different from what you are thinking. Read it carefully atleast 2-3 times. Refer to the question again in between to check whether you have addressed all parts.
    For content, atleast write the basic things. Do mains365. Content cant be done in the last month, but dont give up, do whatever u can. Dont forget to mention recent events related to the question, articles of the constitution, recommendations of major commissions etc.
    Getting average marks in all can also get u an interview call and even a rank, to be truthful. You dont need to get highest marks in everything.
    So practice for whatever time is left and do not repeat mistakes.
    Apart from this, do some stretching coz back hurts a lot due to long durations of sitting, do give your eyes some rest and eat healthy. Coz u dont need any kind of physical illness near to the exam, right. Dont compare with peers and feel that you are unprepared. Just concentrate on yourself.
    Goodluck to all... :blush:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • i see mixed response to this thread
    those who shared their insights were really helpful. @Praish @DrKingSchuItz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @jill gave good suggestions and especially @win_2017 's response lead me to do some changes in my preparation. thank you @win_2017 .
    i know that senior aspirants are too busy wth their preparation in the last month.
    reason for starting this in last month before the exam is to make a list of 'insights' regarding preparation that many aspirants get in this period. only those aspirants who are free to comment will comment. others can comment once the exam is finished.

one more while making insights secure notes...u should write down question then you should jot down imp points from the news item link given and ur own google search (like definition,example). here too u should be very innovative ...like framing entire answer in a flow chart.. whatever u do make sure ur notes isnt bulky,easily revisible and reproducible.(this is for 2018 aspirants)

sir how well do we need to write so that our handwriting seems legible. I mean in GS 4 i cannot improve both my writing and meet the task of finishing the paper simultaneously. What should i do?

sir how well do we need to write so that our handwriting seems legible. I mean in GS 4 i cannot improve both my writing and meet the task of finishing the paper simultaneously. What should i do?
    Well, it's a trade-off.
    But if a few people you show your writing to say they're legible, then carry on with them.
    Always try to finish the paper even if it means compromising a but on the handwriting part.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • Queen said:

Well, I guess everyone learns a lot of lessons in the last month.
    For now, I will address those who are giving mains this year.
    In case you have ever taken a mains test series, take out those answer booklets, read ur answers, remember the mistakes pointed out and read the suggestions written by the checker, again n again. Underline them and write them down separately.
    Those who have still not practiced answer writing, start now. Even 3 weeks of writing will help u a lot. If u have a friend who can check your answers or u can mutually check each other's, that too will be immensely beneficial. Else, check them yourself the next day. Again, dont write just for the sake of it. Unless u are analysing ur mistakes and correcting them next time, it will not be very helpful.
    I did this for essay last year and scored above 165.
    On exam days, instead of revising notes, I was repeating the suggestions and remembering what Not to do while writing. Because firstly, according to me, it is futile to revise notes just before exam. Secondly, every person is unique, with their unique mistakes. And that is why, u need to remember to correct the mistakes that you commit.
    Even while writing, think before you write, so as to avoid crossing out things and making the page untidy. Dont jump after reading a question thinking u know it. Sometimes it is very different from what you are thinking. Read it carefully atleast 2-3 times. Refer to the question again in between to check whether you have addressed all parts.
    For content, atleast write the basic things. Do mains365. Content cant be done in the last month, but dont give up, do whatever u can. Dont forget to mention recent events related to the question, articles of the constitution, recommendations of major commissions etc.
    Getting average marks in all can also get u an interview call and even a rank, to be truthful. You dont need to get highest marks in everything.
    So practice for whatever time is left and do not repeat mistakes.
    Apart from this, do some stretching coz back hurts a lot due to long durations of sitting, do give your eyes some rest and eat healthy. Coz u dont need any kind of physical illness near to the exam, right. Dont compare with peers and feel that you are unprepared. Just concentrate on yourself.
    Goodluck to all... :blush:

thanks a lot!!
  • win_2017 said:

i see mixed response to this thread

one more while making insights secure notes...u should write down question then you should jot down imp points from the news item link given and ur own google search (like definition,example). here too u should be very innovative ...like framing entire answer in a flow chart.. whatever u do make sure ur notes isnt bulky,easily revisible and reproducible.(this is for 2018 aspirants)
    ok bro i will consider this as well.. :smile:
  • Plz provide some input here @all
  • I have a doubt. What does the word structure entail in an answer?
  • Plz provide some input here @all

+1
  • Greenland said:

I have a doubt. What does the word structure entail in an answer?

Anyone??
  • Structure is generally intro, body and conclusion. It would depend on the 'anchors' in the question - elucidate, critically analyse, discuss etc. Based on these keywords, you would have to modify your 'body' accordingly like either doing a SWOT analysis, 'pro/cons', 'way forward' sub sections etc. And if you are mentioning a point, underline the most important term of that point (could be a noun or a verb) and if it the point is not self explanatory, give a brief definition in 2-3 lines.

A conclusion is not always needed. If would depend on the question anchor. This is what I feel. But I haven't cleared mains yet so let others also reply.
  • @civilengineer - essentially you mean logical, relevant flow of writing and proper presensation ??
  • jitna bhi padh lo ...at the end karni mann ki baat hi hoti hai exam week mein .
    3 prelims ; 2 mains* : 0* interview
  • Thats why daily answer writting practice makes all the difference.At least i felt that way...if i get into service..then it would be because of this.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog