MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 30th OCT(Evening) 5:15 PM - 7:15 PM & 15th Nov. (Morning) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM ;
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Purpose of interview in ias exam: should it be replaced by a written exam

What is the need for upsc to have interview when the same questions can be asked to a candidate in form of a written exam. I mean, the questions related to home state, hobbies can be asked to every candidate in a general form, like what are the problems which your home state is facing and what suggestions would you give to rectify them

As far as graduation subject is concerned, upsc anyways prepares different sets of question papers for different subjects for optional subjects in mains exam, so if upsc makes a question paper for each candidate in the subject in which he has done his graduation, then it would bring uniformity in the process, and more open-ness.

Also, why hire so many elite people to merely carry the recruitment, just the teachers which evaluate the mains exam answer sheets could evaluate the people who appear in a stage subsequent to clearing the mains exam.

Moreover, the above measures would help in eliminating subjectivity from the marks because the interview people know the caste of the candidate who is sitting before them and the person's background(say, if his father is a bureaucrat, etc.), ,then these things are very likely to influence the marks of the candidate.

SO, what exactly is the purpose served by the interview?

Moreover, if written exam isi taken, it would be a help to future candidates who would know what sort of questions have been asked in the exam unlike the present scenario where the questions being asked are at the whims and fancies of the chair person of the board.....

Could anyone please answer this query................................

Thanks a lot..............

Comments

• Then there is no difference between written and interviews.... People will cram good answers and reproduce them as such.
    Things like body language, handling uncomfortable questions, alertness and general personality outlook cannot be tested by a written test...
    This is what I think...
  • Because its not an interview, per se, its a personality test. They are not testing your knowledge, that's something you have already proven in the written, what they are probably looking at is a future bureaucratic candidate. You could answer all their "technical" questions, and still end up with with lower scores. The job profile we are aiming at is at mid level management. You will be competing with people from varied backgrounds, so what sets you apart? With enough practice one can cram and fake answers.

As for the elite candidates, I personally feel this exam will always be a game of averages. Sure, the elite ones will crack the top ranks, but the bulk will be folks like you and I. They just need a bachelor's degree from any accredited university, no? You could just as easily be home schooled and graduate with an open university degree and still crack the exam. Heck they aren't even confining us to optionals related to the bachelor level degree. No percentile limit like say cat or gate. Only a cutoff.

You will spend 30 yrs of service being accountable, presenting to and meeting with people, writing some paper isn't going to crack that.
    Be glad they aren't conducting stress interviews in bulk where the panel shoot questions non stop for till you crack.
    Its called garbage can, not garbage cannot.
  • Scene 1

Exam hall, aspirant holding question paper, reading the question
    "Why do you want to be an IAS officer?"

Aspirant: Eh, I have prepared this answer by making a khichdi out of all the coaching notes out there in the market. Let me vomit all the best points I can think of.

Proceeds to answer next question peacefully.

.............................×××××.......................

Scene 2

Upsc interview room, before the panel

Chairman asks "Why do you want to be an IAS officer?"

Aspirant: "To serve the nation, sir".

Cm: "According to our honorable PM A safai karmchari is doing the best possible service of the nation. Then why didn't you become one? Why only IAS seems to be serving the nation?"

Aspirant: :cold_sweat: :cold_sweat:

...............................xxxxx......................

Try to answer the question within 1minute or less, then you will know why interview is essential. :smile:

Whoever you are, I like you. You didn't follow the herd and stopped for a while to think about what you are doing. And "why" is the most beautiful question in the process of innovation. Keep it up.
  • regarding UPSC, I'd say it's the least biased of all entrance exams that are currently held in India. Interview don't decide your selection. You have power over 1750 marks worth of the written test. Interview is a part of selection in every major exam. Even if you have doubts about any one member, there are a group of individuals to judge you during the interview. One guy can't kick you out of the competition.
  • Scene 1

Exam hall, aspirant holding question paper, reading the question
    "Why do you want to be an IAS officer?"

Aspirant: Eh, I have prepared this answer by making a khichdi out of all the coaching notes out there in the market. Let me vomit all the best points I can think of.

Proceeds to answer next question peacefully.

.............................×××××.......................

Scene 2

Upsc interview room, before the panel

Chairman asks "Why do you want to be an IAS officer?"

Aspirant: "To serve the nation, sir".

Cm: "According to our honorable PM A safai karmchari is doing the best possible service of the nation. Then why didn't you become one? Why only IAS seems to be serving the nation?"

Aspirant: :cold_sweat: :cold_sweat:

...............................xxxxx......................

Try to answer the question within 1minute or less, then you will know why interview is essential. :smile:

Whoever you are, I like you. You didn't follow the herd and stopped for a while to think about what you are doing. And "why" is the most beautiful question in the process of innovation. Keep it up.

The immediate answer I thought of this was "I like cleaning. I too do think it's a noble job, and service to the nation. I just wouldn't like to get paid for that part of my service, it will be free in whatever capacity I will do it".

Not a perfect answer, but I have done worse than this.

• harry90 said:

Then there is no difference between written and interviews.... People will cram good answers and reproduce them as such.
    Things like body language, handling uncomfortable questions, alertness and general personality outlook cannot be tested by a written test...
    This is what I think...

Hey, this is what is happening even now. People who get good marks are the ones who have crammed (almost)every answer beforehand. The only thing is that the people who know this are the ones who are able to get good scores in interview, the others are still wondering as to how to conquer the interview.
  • harry90 said:

Then there is no difference between written and interviews.... People will cram good answers and reproduce them as such.
    This is what I think...

Hey, this is what is happening even now. People who get good marks are the ones who have crammed (almost)every answer beforehand. The only thing is that the people who know this are the ones who are able to get good scores in interview, the others are still wondering as to how to conquer the interview.
    These are my personal views and i am not sure about this. Wish if someone could clarify this... As to what needs to be practiced to get good score in interview.
  • I have heard like certain info that can bring bias in the panel towards/against a candidate like caste are not provided to the panel at the time of interview.

Any old-timer? To throw more light on this, please.
    Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short.
    Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control; these three alone lead one to sovereign power
    Pre-2, Mains-2*, Interview-0
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog