[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Need guidance/advice/opinion - Newbie

For the first time, I am seriously treading on this UPSC preparation path. I have self-studied basics of GS while working in an MNC. But 2017-Prelims made me feel its not gonna work for me, to prepare along with job.

So I put down paper. And plan to take coaching in Delhi, because:

1. Kind of heard mentality:
- Most of the successful aspirants are against joining any coaching, but in fact most of them have joined.
- So, I fear if I don't join, I might lose something that I don't exactly know what (may be some psychological factor pushing aspirants to the limit.)

2. To follow a strict routine

3. To meet fellow serious aspirants for motivation.

The notice period took me long enough that I crossed Vajiram's admission last date. Now, that I will be available from September, from the options available I am considering to take up Sriram's IAS - GTB Nagar branch, September batch.

Now what want to know from the experienced senior players here are: (Plz take is as asking for guidance/advice/opinion)

1. Should I come to Delhi.
- I am not from Delhi/North India. So,in what ways coming to Delhi will help me, apart from killing the insecurity what people face if they don't come to Delhi?

2. Should I join a coaching centre.
- Is joining a coaching will help me in profound ways (without considering the financial factor). If so, which one will suit to my current situation.

3. What strategy will suit my situation?

Have been searching here @ForumIAS for the light on this journey, but couldn't satisfy myself with sparse information available.

Your suggestion will be of great value and help to me.

Regards.
·

Comments

• Taking gs coaching now would mean they will finish syllabus very close to prelims itself leaving you with bare minimum time for self study.

You will also need to do previous yr questions and a prelims test series for staying in the right temperament of prelims.
    Also, would you be able to complete 90% of your optional by march? If no, no point in joining srirams or other regular coaching for gs now as your post preliminary period would mostly go in planning to cover optional and gs etc when you should have been revising and writing answers in a test series for both gs and optional.

You already have done gs somewhat and need only to internalise it and reproduce it on paper while linking it to the current affairs if and when needed.

Best thing, according to me is to join optional coaching and finish it by jan end or feb at max. While doing so , you will have to give some time to gs as well daily, say 2-3 hours and daily newspaper . From march-- only gs and prelims should be focus!
    This way you may have better chances to get through mains if you clear prelims, for which 3 months should be enough.

Final decision is always yours.
    Best wishes!
    ·
  • Kira said:

Taking gs coaching now would mean they will finish syllabus very close to prelims itself leaving you with bare minimum time for self study.

You will also need to do previous yr questions and a prelims test series for staying in the right temperament of prelims.
    Also, would you be able to complete 90% of your optional by march? If no, no point in joining srirams or other regular coaching for gs now as your post preliminary period would mostly go in planning to cover optional and gs etc when you should have been revising and writing answers in a test series for both gs and optional.

You already have done gs somewhat and need only to internalise it and reproduce it on paper while linking it to the current affairs if and when needed.

Best thing, according to me is to join optional coaching and finish it by jan end or feb at max. While doing so , you will have to give some time to gs as well daily, say 2-3 hours and daily newspaper . From march-- only gs and prelims should be focus!
    This way you may have better chances to get through mains if you clear prelims, for which 3 months should be enough.

Final decision is always yours.
    Best wishes!

Thank you very much for your suggestion @Kira. I really appreciate the time you took to write this. Your opinion opened my mind to new angles, and will be of great help in taking my decision.
    ·
  • TheNeo said:

For the first time, I am seriously treading on this UPSC preparation path. I have self-studied basics of GS while working in an MNC. But 2017-Prelims made me feel its not gonna work for me, to prepare along with job.

- Most of the successful aspirants are against joining any coaching, but in fact most of them have joined.
    - So, I fear if I don't join, I might lose something that I don't exactly know what (may be some psychological factor pushing aspirants to the limit.)

The notice period took me long enough that I crossed Vajiram's admission last date. Now, that I will be available from September, from the options available I am considering to take up Sriram's IAS - GTB Nagar branch, September batch.

Now what want to know from the experienced senior players here are: (Plz take is as asking for guidance/advice/opinion)

- I am not from Delhi/North India. So,in what ways coming to Delhi will help me, apart from killing the insecurity what people face if they don't come to Delhi?

- Is joining a coaching will help me in profound ways (without considering the financial factor). If so, which one will suit to my current situation.

Have been searching here @ForumIAS for the light on this journey, but couldn't satisfy myself with sparse information available.

Regards.

1. Herd Mentatlity : There is no problem in following the herd, as long as you are leading the herd. Yes ir is also true that most people who say they have done no coaching, have actually done more than one classes.

I will tell you why they say so.

Reason #1 : They are lying and they want to look like heroes of self study .

This is the most over simplistic explanation. It is like if a road get destroyed after rain, you saying that is because of corruption. This is because, it is easy, simple, and meets the needs of the below average IQ person.

Reason #2 : They do not want to give credit of success to anyone/ They are already endorsing some classes in lieu of certain benefits

This is one plausible reason, but I know that no student will end up NOT giving credits to where they have benefitted from.

Reason # 3: They do not think that classes from the certain institute benefited them.

This is one BIG and primary reason, why people do not give credits to where they take classes. If you look deeper, this is a genuine case with most people.

This is because (A) General Studies in obvious truism, and often can be done by self study. The only problem with doing GS by self is that you do not know what to do and what to leave. Any coaching classes, only offer you three benefits (i) They help you make notes in class (ii) They help you identify the locus ( outer, porous boundary of the syllabus ) and focus (important areas from exam point of view ) (iii) you may end up getting a good peer group.

Once you have done , let us say Citizen Charter (CC), you realise it is not a complex concept at all. It could very well be read by self, and in fact, before exam you do read it . So you may not give credit to the coaching that taught you. Unless it is John Rawl's idea of justice , which may need some understanding, most syllabus is self explanatory. Once you do the classes, you realise it could be done by self, reading notes, instead of attending classes.

And then ,you actually end up doing so , and hence when you succeed, you end up saying I didnt do coaching classes - often meaning - I didnt do classes that may have played a role in selection, whereas in fact they my have, because any coaching will, for example , will teach you "Sevottam Model" in CC, but by self study may cover it, because the source you read it from did not have it. (unless you are doing it from second ARC )

Similarly, coachings will teach you Gujral doctrine, which may not be in a source that you are doing IR from. But once you know what it is , it ends up being a significant topic for you, and you dont even remember where you read it from. So you dont even bother to give crediit to the class you joined. So, yes, try to seek "personal" advice over phone or "Private Message" from people you trust.

The reason is that in public, it will be difficult for a successful or semi successful candidate to tell you what classes he took.

Lastly, there is a learning involved in different stage of the exam, it develops over a period of time. You will develop this when you go through the journey yourself. A successful candidate, in person, cannot tell you everything, because even if you follow the same steps as he did, it is likely that your experience/ learning and trajectory may be different from his. In such a case it is likley that you ask someone an advice over phone , email or PM. The closer you can get, the likely they are going to give you a genuine advice.

So instead of blindly following blogs, or persons, ask 3-4 people and then make your plan. And work on it. And believe its impossible to fail, and it wont fail you.

And then take the decisions based on your learning.

The questions you have asked, will have to be answered by your experience.Just like I will answer them, based on my experience.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • @TheNeo

I am still the "ONE " :tongue:
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

TheNeo said:

Regards.

1. Herd Mentatlity : There is no problem in following the herd, as long as you are leading the herd. Yes ir is also true that most people who say they have done no coaching, have actually done more than one classes.

This is the most over simplistic explanation. It is like if a road get destroyed after rain, you saying that is because of corruption. This is because, it is easy, simple, and meets the needs of the below average IQ person.

Reason #2 : They do not want to give credit of success to anyone/ They are already endorsing some classes in lieu of certain benefits

This is one plausible reason, but I know that no student will end up NOT giving credits to where they have benefitted from.

Reason # 3: They do not think that classes from the certain institute benefited them.

This is one BIG and primary reason, why people do not give credits to where they take classes. If you look deeper, this is a genuine case with most people.

This is because (A) General Studies in obvious truism, and often can be done by self study. The only problem with doing GS by self is that you do not know what to do and what to leave. Any coaching classes, only offer you three benefits (i) They help you make notes in class (ii) They help you identify the locus ( outer, porous boundary of the syllabus ) and focus (important areas from exam point of view ) (iii) you may end up getting a good peer group.

Once you have done , let us say Citizen Charter (CC), you realise it is not a complex concept at all. It could very well be read by self, and in fact, before exam you do read it . So you may not give credit to the coaching that taught you. Unless it is John Rawl's idea of justice , which may need some understanding, most syllabus is self explanatory. Once you do the classes, you realise it could be done by self, reading notes, instead of attending classes.

And then ,you actually end up doing so , and hence when you succeed, you end up saying I didnt do coaching classes - often meaning - I didnt do classes that may have played a role in selection, whereas in fact they my have, because any coaching will, for example , will teach you "Sevottam Model" in CC, but by self study may cover it, because the source you read it from did not have it. (unless you are doing it from second ARC )

Similarly, coachings will teach you Gujral doctrine, which may not be in a source that you are doing IR from. But once you know what it is , it ends up being a significant topic for you, and you dont even remember where you read it from. So you dont even bother to give crediit to the class you joined. So, yes, try to seek "personal" advice over phone or "Private Message" from people you trust.

The reason is that in public, it will be difficult for a successful or semi successful candidate to tell you what classes he took.

Lastly, there is a learning involved in different stage of the exam, it develops over a period of time. You will develop this when you go through the journey yourself. A successful candidate, in person, cannot tell you everything, because even if you follow the same steps as he did, it is likely that your experience/ learning and trajectory may be different from his. In such a case it is likley that you ask someone an advice over phone , email or PM. The closer you can get, the likely they are going to give you a genuine advice.

So instead of blindly following blogs, or persons, ask 3-4 people and then make your plan. And work on it. And believe its impossible to fail, and it wont fail you.

The questions you have asked, will have to be answered by your experience.Just like I will answer them, based on my experience.

Thank you so much @Neyawn for providing an insight explaination, as you always do. It means a lot to me. I will keep in mind these valuable suggestions on planning and making my decision.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

@TheNeo

I am still the "ONE " :tongue:

:p
    ·
  • @Neyawn @Neyawn I have messaged you regarding philosophy paper 2 strategy. Please rply
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

TheNeo said:

Regards.

itna honest reply maine aaj tak nhi dekha.....

·
  • Neyawn said:

TheNeo said:

Regards.

itna honest reply maine aaj tak nhi dekha.....

That's why we love Neyawn.
    I rebel; therefore I exist.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog