NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Strategic Space & Strategic Depth | Indo-Afghan relations | US withdrawal

Expecting the layman answers from fellow aspirants , This was asked in the context of India's relationship with afghanistan after the withdrawal of US..
·

Comments

• generally concept of strategic depth is used in relation to pakistan policy wherein it seeks to have an afghanistan govt that remains under its influence/control. This is to ensure that India doesn't gain any strategic space in afghanistan.
    SSC CGL 2011,SBI po 12,13;Capf AC 14;RBI grade b 16;CSM 2011-15
    ·
  • Physical space: for physical extension
    Strategic space: for strategic extension, a space that can be used to create or improve strategy, e.g. a territory which allows you to create terror schools away from home or a policy of non alignment which allows you to make moral choices on crucial issues rather than being bound by a group decision

Strategic depth is pretty similar in meaning. This is what I think. Only the so called 'seniors' here can state with absolute certainty, what it exactly means. Their word is gospel as I have come to understand.
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
    ·
  • edited October 2013
    @rgv_0404

Strategic depth is a military term = The distance between the front line and the main centers of development in the country. (Like capital, Industrial townships, cities etc.) - The more the distance, the more the strategic depth the army has. The Army gets more time to plan out its defensive strategy. For example, Russia used its strategic depth against Napoleon by using the scorched earth policy which ultimately forced him to retreat.

Some strategists in Pakistan recently suggested that Pakistan should use the AF-PAK region to increase its strategic depth = In case of war with India, Pakistan army will have some space to retreat and continue fighting. As in, they will use Afghanistan as a temporary base. Which is indeed a laughable suggestion and these strategists were derided by their own people.

Strategic space is similar but with a more larger context - It is basically to increase the presence in a region in order to have some military, economic or political dominance in that region. For instance, China is looking to increase its strategic space in Indian ocean by building ports in Indian Ocean. US is trying to increase its strategic space in Asia by its Asia Pivot. India is increasing its strategic space around the strait of Hormuz and near Pakistan sea by building the Chahbhar port in Iran and the INSTC. The South China sea dispute, apart from fight for resources is also a fight for strategic space. China is negotiating with Bhutan over Chumbi valley to gain some strategic space viz-a-viz our Siliguri corridor. And of course fight over Siachen is also a fight for strategic space - India is at an envious position at Siachen, it keeps an eye over PoK and the Aksai Chin.

Well! This is what I understand, it is definitely not a gospel as am no senior. So, please feel free to correct me.
    ·
  • @woman , @Partho , @DANGERIPS

Thanks for your prompt replies, really helped lot..

This was a question reflected in Shankar ias academy Mains test series , paper was set by high profile pol science professor...

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google