MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batch of WESTERN Philosophy starting on 30th Nov. (EVENING) 05:00 PM-7:15 PM.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Google is a thief, delete your activity

edited August 16 in Essay
Google has been recording activities of its unscrupulous users. You all may be aware but it's possible that this particular aspect that I am sharing here may not have come to notice of millions. Today I went to https://myactivity.google.com and was surprised to see results going back to 2008! The revelation was this - if you erase anything from your history, it is NEVER deleted. It is just made little obscure. I will advise everyone to go to that page and delete all your activity, though I am not sure how much you can trust Gogle to have actually deleted your data and not stored at a further level down the inception-ladder.

The accumulation of data by the software giants is akin to how Europeans hoarded gold and silver from Americas in exchange for petty cocoa, and as its immediate fall-out, managed to finance their trade in Indian Ocean trade without losing wealth of ther own countries. The further history of them undermining long-established tradition of free-trade and opportunities in Indian Ocean till their dominance was well-established and in a big turn-around of policy strated batting for advantages of free and liberal trade, opportunities, and low tarrifs, needs to be remembered. There has been very less awareness among general masses about how precious a person's data is for which the corollary of gold-cocoa substituting data and online services are very apt.

A small example will highlight the importance and price of data. Storing statistics on how many people have been searching for a particular product and brand to make a trend for propspctive brightspots among companies, makes way for selling the data and related analytics based on such data as reports through consultation services. At its most basic you may feel annoyed at seeing the same amazon items that you once looked at prop up again and again when reading an online article. Or even on @ForumIAS you sell your right to edit or delete your wriiten content, over which you have an IP, the moment you are done publishing (posting) it. That's your literature. In lieu of free services (gmail, google search) or addictive services (fb, whatsapp) we are being given a deal that we did not ask for. This deal not only compromises transparency and fair dealing with suppliers, and customers who happen to be same party. The other party is a resource-gobbling beheboth. This is not a fair business practice.

There are obvious ethical concerns here such as how many customers are expressly aware what barter exchange is going on between them and the software companies. There are repercussions for security and safety of users. In case data-securty is compromised or the company which is capturing the data is taken over by some other company or even a government. The posibilty of a deep-state having access to citizens' data can't be overstated, be it the security establishment of one's own country or a foreign state. The possibility of a nexus between governments and software companies had recently come to light in wake of whistleblowing incidents by an individual Edward Snowden and Wikileaks.

Commercial interests are very prominent considering the rise of big data analytics. Google and other major software companies have global user-base, which is rising exponentially particularly in emerging economies like India's. The giants have hoarded a lot of data-oil. This calls for action on policy front, some suggestions are expressed below.

1. Each incident of use and referral of a user's data needs to be monetised even if at a nominal rate. Also advisable is a time-based price for continuing to store user-data, even if it is not being used or referred to for anlaytics for the present. This will address the problem of users being unaware of their data and information being captured, stored and monetised and also bring into open a business practice that has been going on unconspicously.

2. A software company or website or service provider, beyond a user-base should need to shift the server in the territory of India, or otherwise be blocked for access.

3. [root wants everyone to contribute more points regarding the government policy towards data in India]

There is immediate need for a data acquisition policy covering all companies in general but keeping peculiar practices of software companies or online service providers in particular focus.

Remember data is the gold, free service is cocoa

तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।

Comments

• and a smaal question - what is vanilla discussion permission @ForumIAS ? saw the message when tried to edit the post. Why don't I have the vanilla sir?
  • Search your real name in inverted quotes and see what it turns up. "Firstname Surname"
    You have decided to walk a path curved like a question mark, sweet child, it will only lead to more questions. You're not a day dreamer, let your light clarify this blurred world.
  • Search your real name in inverted quotes and see what it turns up. "Firstname Surname"

I think you are probably pointing the options they seem to be giving to have control over your data. But my point is even if they pose to be giving me control after taking my data, they shud first of all take my express consent, and not the ubiquitous 'I've read the terms and conditions" and proceed to make me part of data-sharing contracts, that I know nothing about.
  • After reading your post i was like okay i got keywords for my answer :p . Reading it was like connecting the dots :#

Was already aware of "my activity page" but still whatever you said enlightened me :)

I think you are probably pointing the options they seem to be giving to have control over your data. But my point is even if they pose to be giving me control after taking my data, they shud first of all take my express consent, and not the ubiquitous 'I've read the terms and conditions" and proceed to make me part of data-sharing contracts, that I know nothing about.
    Nah, I want people to trace their footprints to their real names and get a little shock.

Google isn't a data thief, they are data hoarders. Like an unreliable friend storing all your chat logs after asking you to clear your own history. Say you used a friend's notebook and wrote nasty stuff about a teacher. If you friend rats you out to the teacher, whose fault is it? Your for writing the stuff without thinking or the friend's for violating your trust?

What I am trying to point out is how ubiquitous and invasive the internet has become. Going off the grid is out of the question and neither is keeping a tight reign on one's opinions. I will give you an example, a few years back I only used firefox with a thousand addons, and around the snowden papers decided to use the tor browser to check the files, as one does. I had logged out of gmail, cleaned all cookies/whatnot. I got a stern warning mail from google on gmail inspite of having logged out. That put my back up. I browse some silly thing while logged onto facebook, nice little ad on the left hand side similar to my interest area. I have had friends point out how facebook is 'listening to chat conversations"

I am gradually growing paranoid in a system that has no basic respect for privacy, the blocked websites have an interesting little logo of reliance communications along with the "this url has been blocked by the dept of thought control".

Whats to prevent some bhakti filled techsavvy bureaucrat in the future on advising some eejit minister on to putting a block on drive sharing. They have choked out archive.org, weebly, and quite a few legal file sharing sites. What's to prevent one of us snitching on sashid thakur and having the coaching folks choke him for illegal distribution. They could very easily prove that he earns thousands from traffic/adsense data, the photocopy judgement won't hold water if they set up a smart lawyer.

So my question for you is this. If you have done nothing wrong, and you have nothing to hide, what are you afraid of? Ever filed a FIR, then I am quite sure you know how it goes from here.

Jio, anyone?

P.S. Not you Richard, you here is the reader in general.
    You have decided to walk a path curved like a question mark, sweet child, it will only lead to more questions. You're not a day dreamer, let your light clarify this blurred world.
  • google ko bhi mujhme koi interest nahi.. mera koi purana data nahi dikha raha
    sab bekar hai
  • What exactly is the alternative for us?
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker
    Geography Optional.
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

Use TOR and DuckDuckgo!
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory

Nah, I want people to trace their footprints to their real names and get a little shock.

Google isn't a data thief, they are data hoarders. Like an unreliable friend storing all your chat logs after asking you to clear your own history. Say you used a friend's notebook and wrote nasty stuff about a teacher. If you friend rats you out to the teacher, whose fault is it? Your for writing the stuff without thinking or the friend's for violating your trust?

What I am trying to point out is how ubiquitous and invasive the internet has become. Going off the grid is out of the question and neither is keeping a tight reign on one's opinions. I will give you an example, a few years back I only used firefox with a thousand addons, and around the snowden papers decided to use the tor browser to check the files, as one does. I had logged out of gmail, cleaned all cookies/whatnot. I got a stern warning mail from google on gmail inspite of having logged out. That put my back up. I browse some silly thing while logged onto facebook, nice little ad on the left hand side similar to my interest area. I have had friends point out how facebook is 'listening to chat conversations"

I am gradually growing paranoid in a system that has no basic respect for privacy, the blocked websites have an interesting little logo of reliance communications along with the "this url has been blocked by the dept of thought control".

Whats to prevent some bhakti filled techsavvy bureaucrat in the future on advising some eejit minister on to putting a block on drive sharing. They have choked out archive.org, weebly, and quite a few legal file sharing sites. What's to prevent one of us snitching on sashid thakur and having the coaching folks choke him for illegal distribution. They could very easily prove that he earns thousands from traffic/adsense data, the photocopy judgement won't hold water if they set up a smart lawyer.

So my question for you is this. If you have done nothing wrong, and you have nothing to hide, what are you afraid of? Ever filed a FIR, then I am quite sure you know how it goes from here.

Jio, anyone?

• google ko bhi mujhme koi interest nahi.. mera koi purana data nahi dikha raha

Me to delete kar deta hu. Mujhe waise bhi delete karte rahna padhta hai. Poori web history me more or less ek hi jaise web link hote hain.
    @will_holden

Jio, anyone?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. What could possibly go wrong?
  • @sylvian_10

The REAL irony is, people happily give their stats away to foreign companies, but they dont trust their OWN government.

• chills 1 said:

google ko bhi mujhme koi interest nahi.. mera koi purana data nahi dikha raha

Me to delete kar deta hu. Mujhe waise bhi delete karte rahna padhta hai. Poori web history me more or less ek hi jaise web link hote hain.
    @will_holden
    mere me bhi...
    sab bekar hai
  • @sylvian_10

The REAL irony is, people happily give their stats away to foreign companies, but they dont trust their OWN government.

I don't. For a fact I know microsoft/google will let me know if someone tried to log into my account, or if there has been a security outage, they will let me know that I need to change my password. Whats to prevent someone high up to take a peek into my digilocker or some unsecure govt site leaking my aadhar data? Say my aadhar or biometrics gets leaked, will I get a notification from the govt. that my security has been compromised?
  • @sylvian_10

I don't. For a fact I know microsoft/google will let me know if someone tried to log into my account, or if there has been a security outage, they will let me know that I need to change my password. Whats to prevent someone high up to take a peek into my digilocker or some unsecure govt site leaking my aadhar data? Say my aadhar or biometrics gets leaked, will I get a notification from the govt. that my security has been compromised?
    How can you be so sure?
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

well I tried a few things back in days when I was too free to do these things - using Ubuntu, instead of windows, which for one, obliterates the need for antivirus and stuff, enhances safety of your files from corruptability.

But when we are busy going on with our specific vocations, doing such out of place things creates inconvenience, when everone else is using windows and MS-Office..

This is different from the data capturing thing, but the core is same what to do when you don't like the giants who have us virtually hostage. the key here is policy context, which has been shaped as per these software major's wishes. This needs to change. Look how fb and google are getting on their knees to be allowed entry into china. We need to value our assets at their appropriate value. Having a strong base in softwares could be an advantage, as we may not be prone to fear of losing out like in manufacturing.

Right policy support has the potential to make India take the next big jump in softwares, and perhaps shape world policy. That will take efforts on part of giovernments and entrepreneurs. As citizens outside the technical domain, we can create awareness in the least, and I fear at the most also that's the only thing we can do. There's not much in alternatives that we should shift to, as that wud compromise convenience. Diversifying my dependence across google, bing, yahoo, hotmail is not the mess I wud be inclined to venture into. Individually all are in the same nature, google just has the things on a bigger scale.
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

well I tried a few things back in days when I was too free to do these things - using Ubuntu, instead of windows, which for one, obliterates the need for antivirus and stuff, enhances safety of your files from corruptability.

But when we are busy going on with our specific vocations, doing such out of place things creates inconvenience, when everone else is using windows and MS-Office..

This is different from the data capturing thing, but the core is same what to do when you don't like the giants who have us virtually hostage. the key here is policy context, which has been shaped as per these software major's wishes. This needs to change. Look how fb and google are getting on their knees to be allowed entry into china. We need to value our assets at their appropriate value. Having a strong base in softwares could be an advantage, as we may not be prone to fear of losing out like in manufacturing.

Right policy support has the potential to make India take the next big jump in softwares, and perhaps shape world policy. That will take efforts on part of giovernments and entrepreneurs. As citizens outside the technical domain, we can create awareness in the least, and I fear at the most also that's the only thing we can do. There's not much in alternatives that we should shift to, as that wud compromise convenience. Diversifying my dependence across google, bing, yahoo, hotmail is not the mess I wud be inclined to venture into. Individually all are in the same nature, google just has the things on a bigger scale.
    The government should first include computer science as an optional in CSE!
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

Cyber security should be enough.

Sweet Victory!
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

CSE waale sab upsc nikaal lenge, to Indian google kaun banaega
  • @sylvian_10

How can you be so sure?
    During the previous cloud security attempts, we all had mails from google, did we not? We are doing xyz, there has been an attempt at a breach. The aadhar data that were leaked were in unsecure departmental sites. Have you not had , there was an attempt to log in from abc location, if its not you change the password ad infinitum?

What I am trying to say is lets not be blindly trusting of any monolith. Be it a foreign company trading in our data or our very own elected and nominated folks.
  • ^ CSE - computer science engineering
  • Gameplay said:

What exactly is the alternative for us?
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

Don't give ideas to people man, next thing we know we will be mugging up vision 365 cyber security special.
  • Gameplay said:

What exactly is the alternative for us?
    That's the question.
    @Richard_Parker

Don't give ideas to people man, next thing we know we will be mugging up vision 365 cyber security special.
    Haha
    Sweet Victory!
  • @sylvian_10

How can you be so sure?
    During the previous cloud security attempts, we all had mails from google, did we not? We are doing xyz, there has been an attempt at a breach. The aadhar data that were leaked were in unsecure departmental sites. Have you not had , there was an attempt to log in from abc location, if its not you change the password ad infinitum?

What I am trying to say is lets not be blindly trusting of any monolith. Be it a foreign company trading in our data or our very own elected and nominated folks.
    @sylvian_10

They give you an IMPRESSION that your data is secure. Why are you restricting yourself to MS and GOOGLE? What about sony?

If you are connected, you are vulnerable. Period. Be it any government or some private enterprise.

Now, the government would not PROFIT by selling your data. You can never expect such "asceticism" from a private enterprise!!
  • @sylvian_10

Secondly, if a government wants your data, you DONT have a choice. If AADHAR benefits some at the cost of OUR privacy, we should be a bit tolerant towards it.

However, when it comes to private enterprises, you do have a choice (of not signing up/deleting your data in toto)
  • @sylvian_10

How can you be so sure?

As a measure, in aadhar you can lock in your biometrics, which means your data is inaccessible, unless you approve at each attempt to access data. The lapses that have so far taken place with Aadhar are majorly in nature of lists with names and aadhar being published by government departments.
  • @sylvian_10

How can you be so sure?

@sylvian_10

They give you an IMPRESSION that your data is secure. Why are you restricting yourself to MS and GOOGLE? What about sony?

If you are connected, you are vulnerable. Period. Be it any government or some private enterprise.

Now, the government would not PROFIT by selling your data. You can never expect such "asceticism" from a private enterprise!!
    Heh, because OP has an axe to grind with google, I stuck in MS just to balance things out.
    Well thats what I am saying as well, except I am equally if not more skeptical of the govt with my data. Why is the reliance comm logo on the left hand upper corner of the blocked sites?
  • @sylvian_10

How can you be so sure?

@sylvian_10

Heh, because OP has an axe to grind with google, I stuck in MS just to balance things out.
    Well thats what I am saying as well, except I am equally if not more skeptical of the govt with my data. Why is the reliance comm logo on the left hand upper corner of the blocked sites?
    Because your ISP is Reliance Comm!

• Nope. that's the joke.
  • Nope. that's the joke.

link please?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog