[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

E- notes vs paper notes?

1. Which notes are better in the long run?
2. Pros and Cons of each.
3. With respect to paper notes, should they be made with a pencil(easy editing) or pen?
·

Comments

• discuss.forumias.com/discussion/10784/google-keep-ms-onenote-evernote

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-make-notes-using-Evernote-while-preparing-for-the-UPSC-Civil-Service-Examination

This topic has been discussed so many times on forum as well, you can search on quora too for the same.

My take:

Go for evernote + you can balance a little bit with paper notes as well !
    E-notes are always better - easy to handle, edit, better organizing, web clipper tool is just awesome, strong search and tagging features makes it even more powerful.
    Your typing speed should be decent, and you should not hate computers/can balance online study with the conventional methods.

When you make a nice note on an issue during a course of time, then you can make a paper-note with just keywords/mind-maps withing 200 words for recollection in exam or for revisions. You can do this for say 100-200 topics, which are really important for mains.

PS- that's it, don't ask me for sample notes or anything. Just do it on your own and feel the difference.

·
  • @yashwardhan_singh Thanks for the advice!
    I have another query. While making notes, whether I should directly copy + paste the material into e-notes or abridge the content in my own words and type it?
    ·
  • Abridge, make it your own. Down the line, you will be surprised when you remember unexpected points.
    Its called garbage can, not garbage cannot.
    ·
    I have another query. While making notes, whether I should directly copy + paste the material into e-notes or abridge the content in my own words and type it?

You can't type all, so be smart. You will have to copy-paste too (web clipper tool on evernote). But the point is-don't be a collector ! Notes making is always about "notes in your own language" but as the CA is too vast and you can't write everything about the topic so "just play it smart".

Prepare things in such a way that a topic gets covered comprehensively (take help from newspapers, IasBaba DNA, Insights DCA, and of course Vision CA) and keep revising + keep editing to strike out unnecessary/trivial details/information which you can't reproduce in the exam, that way your note will be short and easy to remember. But it will be bulky in the beginning and with time you can learn the art of cutting it short and that too in your own language.

one more thing- just 1 month before prelims you can prepare the paper notes (as I suggested above) for most important topics to reproduce in the exam, so that way it can be done. Hope it is clear now.

·

You can't type all, so be smart. You will have to copy-paste too (web clipper tool on evernote). But the point is-don't be a collector ! Notes making is always about "notes in your own language" but as the CA is too vast and you can't write everything about the topic so "just play it smart".

Prepare things in such a way that a topic gets covered comprehensively (take help from newspapers, IasBaba DNA, Insights DCA, and of course Vision CA) and keep revising + keep editing to strike out unnecessary/trivial details/information which you can't reproduce in the exam, that way your note will be short and easy to remember. But it will be bulky in the beginning and with time you can learn the art of cutting it short and that too in your own language.

one more thing- just 1 month before prelims you can prepare the paper notes (as I suggested above) for most important topics to reproduce in the exam, so that way it can be done. Hope it is clear now.

sir how to copy, paste news from e paper or othr sites in mobile . u said through web clippr but in mobile no web clpr link plz help sir bcoz i new in e notes making
    ·

sir how to copy, paste news from e paper or othr sites in mobile . u said through web clippr but in mobile no web clpr link plz help sir bcoz i new in e notes making
    I am using the web version and desktop version (local disk). I don't use it on my mobile, so don't know whats available on mobile.

google the headline of the news/article (use the news section on google) and then you can use clipping tool to save the article in evernote or make notes out it. e paper in PDF format- use foxit pdf reader to edit.
    ·

Pocket/ clipix if you are on android
    A simple google search would have given you the answer...
    ·
  • Good luck with note taking. Around march/april this year i was struggling with like 200 odd pages of a year's worth of ca notes, pruned them to death and ended up with 50 some pages on simplenote. Came massively handy while revising for prelims.
    ·
  • @sylvian_10 Did you type those 200 pages in your own words(as mentioned above)? If that is true, that's quite a hard work. *respect*
    ·
  • Hahah, you make it sound some thing epic. Nah
    I mean .5 to 1 page per day daily for April '16 - March'17 mid was around 200 pages, I made like 1 wordpad speadsheet per month so it was less memory intensive and not laggy. Easier to sneak peeks while working.

If I wanted to add something later I left some special character like ~ or ^^ or some weird emoji to mark the spot.

Take some time and fool around, you will figure out a system of your own. Make sure you are comfortable with it. I have some organizing printables, will share later tonight.
    ·
  • Hahah, you make it sound some thing epic. Nah
    I mean .5 to 1 page per day daily for April '16 - March'17 mid was around 200 pages, I made like 1 wordpad speadsheet per month so it was less memory intensive and not laggy. Easier to sneak peeks while working.

If I wanted to add something later I left some special character like ~ or ^^ or some weird emoji to mark the spot.

Take some time and fool around, you will figure out a system of your own. Make sure you are comfortable with it. I have some organizing printables, will share later tonight.

To me, notes invariably mean handwritten notes. I have never fancied the idea of e-notes but the way your approach is wrt it, I'm tempted to give e note making a try. Thanks. :-)
    ·
  • @sylvian_10 Do share. Thanks.
    ·
  • I m sharing my methodology with OneNote hope it helps.
    image.png
    1361 x 717 - 215K
    image.png 214.5K
    Pre 2015- Fail
    Pre 2016- Fail
    CSIR Life Science NET- 18 June
    Road 2018 (Last Attempt)
    ·
  • OP look at dexter's, he's got it down to an art.

Printables

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8qnQ89-_UsUSmtubGRibUtwTHM
    These are by http://theorganisedstudent.tumblr.com/
    ·
  • @dexter_morgan you have done an excellent job. Have you written them in your own words? If so, how much time does it consume per day?
    ·
  • kon best rhga evrnote or onenote plz prons and cons batao
    ·

Tried both of them yesterday. Onenote is cumbersome, takes time to load - typical Microsoft product. Settled for Evernote.

Both the products have been comprehensively compared in the following thread:
    http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/10784/google-keep-ms-onenote-evernote
    ·

Tried both of them yesterday. Onenote is cumbersome, takes time to load - typical Microsoft product. Settled for Evernote.

Both the products have been comprehensively compared in the following thread:
    http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/10784/google-keep-ms-onenote-evernote
    Correct one note takes too much time for syncing as size of notes increases it get very slow so settle with evernote plus version...very new nice software...looking for second had ipad 10 anyone wants to sell
    ·
  • Instead of typing use Google voice typing feature it will greatly reduce your efforts of typing and when you speak loudly anything , it gets in your memory. I have made my optional notes this way and completed notes making of nearly 70-80% of my optional in relatively short time. Note that this feature is available only on Google docs on PC and it will not work on MS word moreover it will require internet (don't know about evernote or one note). If you are working on android phone then this feature will work for entire range of software like evernote, one note etc. Few tips to get most of the tool - Read out loud and clear. Use good quality microphone if you are using it on PC.
    ·
  • @"Dead Man" Great advice!! Will surely give it a try.
    Dead Man said:

Instead of typing use Google voice typing feature it will greatly reduce your efforts of typing and when you speak loudly anything , it gets in your memory. I have made my optional notes this way and completed notes making of nearly 70-80% of my optional in relatively short time. Note that this feature is available only on Google docs on PC and it will not work on MS word moreover it will require internet (don't know about evernote or one note). If you are working on android phone then this feature will work for entire range of software like evernote, one note etc. Few tips to get most of the tool - Read out loud and clear. Use good quality microphone if you are using it on PC.

Thanks @"Dead Man" great suggestion!! Will definitely try it.
    ·
  • guys koi page create krne ke badh usme sub group kaise banate hai any idea
    ·
  • edited August 18
    I started using apple pencil with i pad .... double benefits.... its smooth as pen and paper ... and u will also have benefits of e-management
    Also really help in solving test series ... coz u dont have to print and again scan paper ... u can write directly on pdf...
    U can check out youtube videos if u want
    Again there are similar option like surface pro and galxy tab 3 which also come with stylus
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog