MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 30th OCT(Evening) 5:15 PM - 7:15 PM & 15th Nov. (Morning) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM ;
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

How to make notes of the standard books for gs mains

1. Can anyone please tell me how to make notes of the spectrum's modern history and of ancient and medieval(and art and culture) ncert and world history ncert books and post-independence india ncert . What are the things that i need to cover in making my notes of these books.
2. Also, how to make notes of the geography ncert books of class 6th to 12th.
3. How to make notes of laxmikant?
4. how to make notes of the shankar's ias book and of class 12th bio ncert ecology and biotech unit?
5. How to make notes of the society for gs mains paper 1?

Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

I prefer to make notes in one-note or handwritten notes, so please answer in that context.

Comments

• hmm nice great pointers tudor, I have also come to this conclusion that the first reading should be without any bother of making notes , just casually underline the points which really pique your interest. This doesn't make reading a drab exercise while you also retain a lot more and come out happy after finishing the book.

# I was reading India after Gandhi which reads more like a novel so may not apply for academic books hahaha
    Man is but a reed, the weakest in nature, but he is a thinking reed
  • Google Tony Buzan, Study Skills, read that book , everything will be clear.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • Tudor said:

1. Can anyone please tell me how to make notes of the spectrum's modern history and of ancient and medieval(and art and culture) ncert and world history ncert books and post-independence india ncert . What are the things that i need to cover in making my notes of these books.
    2. Also, how to make notes of the geography ncert books of class 6th to 12th.
    3. How to make notes of laxmikant?
    4. how to make notes of the shankar's ias book and of class 12th bio ncert ecology and biotech unit?
    5. How to make notes of the society for gs mains paper 1?

Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

I prefer to make notes in one-note or handwritten notes, so please answer in that context.

Sir, I can quickly address the first point of your query as I have had experience with History note making for optional.

Adopt the Cornell note making approach, if you can. For this, go through the book once, in its entirity. While highlighting, focus only on the subject matter that adds something to your knowledge (and which is not a part of a narration; narration - you won't forget!). Underline the keywords. While highlighting and underline be a miser! Save Ink!

Once done, do this, and as a thumbrule it's always better to adoptin the chronological approach if the content permits so (easier to retain)-

*Heading
    *Condensed Subject Matter (highlights) <> Keywords.

The Subject Matter should be nothing more than a synopsis, and should take the form of a barebones enumeration of points. Skip the adjectives, pronouns, phrases, bla bla. Stick only to the words that you'll have trouble retaining in your memory.

#Works for me, not sure about you.
    @Tudor Sir, thanks for replying.

1But i was looking forward to make notes with answer writing in mind. I mean what dimensions should i include in my notes, eg. what pros, cons, etc. of the event i want to cover.

Say, i want to make notes of civil disobedience movement from spectrum's book, then what are the points i should include in my notes. Eg. what was the movement about, what are its pros and cons and what impact it lead on the indian freedom struggle.

So, would this be the right approach.
    Also, i have tried this approach of skipping adjectives, pronouns, etc. and it is really helpful.

2. Can you please tell to what extent do i need to google in order to make notes of history.
    3. Also, many people say that they covered world history event wise, and not through ncerts. They say that they just did the past year questions of history optional to cover the world history. Could you please suggest how to go ahead in this approach. (But these people had history as their optional, I dont know if a person with non-history optional can do this or not).

4. Finally, is there an alternative to note making in ancient, medieval , modern, and world history. Since, these are the topics in gs and all aspirants must be attempting these papers, so i am assuming that there must be some book which must be popular in the market and which would allow the people to simply learn that in question-answer format and just reproduce that content in the actual gs mains exam.

5. Moreover, since ancient and medieval history is to read only for the purpose of art and culture, so it seems futile to read the entire book like a novel. After all it makes more sense to spend time in reading some topics(related to art and culture aspect) in great detail rather than skimming the entire book. Moreover, the questions like roman greece on gandhara art are so out of the world that hardly anyone can attempt them.
    5a) SO, how to cover the ancient and medieval ncert. Which chapters of them should we cover? Or do the entire books need to be covered. I have old ncert. Also, for spectrum, there are names of so many personalities in it that it becomes almost difficult to know what the story is about, so how to go about it.

In a nutshell: i am totally confused as to how to cover the history portion(and geography portion) of the gs mains paper 1.

Others also please advice something, @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh , @Neanderthal , @DrKingSchuItz and others........

With heartful thanks to all
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog