Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Issues with IFoS recruitment process through UPSC

Many threads exist where people have brought out the problems with UPSC's conduct of the Civil Service Examination.
But hardly is there any discussion regarding the step-motherly treatment meted out to the aspirants of another All - India Service, The Indian Forest Services, which deals with a field as critical as our Environment.
And these issues had started right since 2013 when all of a sudden the prelims were made the same for both Civil Services and IFoS.

This is to bring to your notice few issues with regards to the recruitment procedure followed for Indian Forest Service (IFoS) via UPSC.

Issue 1)

The eligibility for IFoS clearly says that students with only Science or Engineering backgrounds can apply for IFoS. But there is no checking of graduation documents / marksheets at the preliminary stage. As a result, many students who might be otherwise ineligible at later stages (due to Arts or other educational backgrounds) for IFoS, apply for it.

Now if they clear the cut off (which is usually 15-20 marks higher than Civil Service cut-off) they essentially deprive a potential eligible candidate of his/her chance at appearing for IFoS mains. (because only a fixed number of candidates will be allowed to sit for the Mains around 13 times the vacanices)

There is no way to rectify this injustice meted out to a deserving and eligible candidate under the present rules.

Issue 2)

Unlike Civil Services, Indian Forest Service does not come out with a "Reserve List" of candidates who may have missed out from the final list by a few marks and who can be allotted the service in case someone opts out.

Every year there are many over-lapping candidates who qualify for both Civil Services and also IFoS. Many of them opt for Civil Services (and Allied Services) due to the physically challenging nature of the job of an IFoS officer.

Hence all 110 vacancies are usually not filled up yet at the same time, many bright candidates, who may have missed out by very few marks at the final interview stage, are also deprived of their chance to pursue this prestigious All-India Service.

Though there have been many petitions and protests in the recent past regarding the syllabus and format of Civil Service recruitment, nothing has been done to correct these wrongs meted out to Indian Forest Service aspirants every year.

The reserve list for the Civil Services 2016 has not been released yet.
Indian Forest Service should also get its due importance and DoPT and UPSC should also come out with a Reserve List for Indian Forest Service Examination.
Send emails to MoEF, DoPT and Dr. Jitendra Singh to bring this issue to their notice.

mos-pp@nic.in
secy-mop@nic.in
drjitendras@gmail.com
secy-moef@nic.in

·

Comments

• Very rightly pointed out the issues. :)
    But, I think DoPT won't have any role in this. MoEF&CC is the cadre controlling authority for IFS. So, if the representation is made to the Environment Minister, something can happen.
    Earlier further attempts at CSE were not allowed during 16.5 months training in National Forest Academy. But this restriction was removed in Feb 2017, after probationers requested the earlier environment minister.
    Indian Forest Service 2017 Batch | Skipped 92nd FC :`(
    ·
  • One more issue is the allocation of cadre to all those who are in the list, irrespective of their decision to opt for IAS/IPS etc over IFS. Someone in the current batch asked JS in this regard.
    ·
  • INFI said:

One more issue is the allocation of cadre to all those who are in the list, irrespective of their decision to opt for IAS/IPS etc over IFS. Someone in the current batch asked JS in this regard.

Absolutely right!

This is sheer wastage of precious human resource
    ·
  • Many threads exist where people have brought out the problems with UPSC's conduct of the Civil Service Examination.
    But hardly is there any discussion regarding the step-motherly treatment meted out to the aspirants of another All - India Service, The Indian Forest Services, which deals with a field as critical as our Environment.
    And these issues had started right since 2013 when all of a sudden the prelims were made the same for both Civil Services and IFoS.

This is to bring to your notice few issues with regards to the recruitment procedure followed for Indian Forest Service (IFoS) via UPSC.

Issue 1)

The eligibility for IFoS clearly says that students with only Science or Engineering backgrounds can apply for IFoS. But there is no checking of graduation documents / marksheets at the preliminary stage. As a result, many students who might be otherwise ineligible at later stages (due to Arts or other educational backgrounds) for IFoS, apply for it.

Now if they clear the cut off (which is usually 15-20 marks higher than Civil Service cut-off) they essentially deprive a potential eligible candidate of his/her chance at appearing for IFoS mains. (because only a fixed number of candidates will be allowed to sit for the Mains around 13 times the vacanices)

There is no way to rectify this injustice meted out to a deserving and eligible candidate under the present rules.

Issue 2)

Unlike Civil Services, Indian Forest Service does not come out with a "Reserve List" of candidates who may have missed out from the final list by a few marks and who can be allotted the service in case someone opts out.

Every year there are many over-lapping candidates who qualify for both Civil Services and also IFoS. Many of them opt for Civil Services (and Allied Services) due to the physically challenging nature of the job of an IFoS officer.

Hence all 110 vacancies are usually not filled up yet at the same time, many bright candidates, who may have missed out by very few marks at the final interview stage, are also deprived of their chance to pursue this prestigious All-India Service.

Though there have been many petitions and protests in the recent past regarding the syllabus and format of Civil Service recruitment, nothing has been done to correct these wrongs meted out to Indian Forest Service aspirants every year.

The reserve list for the Civil Services 2016 has not been released yet.
    Indian Forest Service should also get its due importance and DoPT and UPSC should also come out with a Reserve List for Indian Forest Service Examination.
    Send emails to MoEF, DoPT and Dr. Jitendra Singh to bring this issue to their notice.

mos-pp@nic.in
    secy-mop@nic.in
    drjitendras@gmail.com
    secy-moef@nic.in

U don't know the concept of reserve list that's why u r saying this.
    Reserve list is for single exam for multiple service.
    its not for single service exam.
    Read about that before mailing to higher authority if u really want to make some changes.
    ·
  • There cant be reserve list but only waiting list. I got 837 in ifos mains . Due to english paper i could not qualify . Got 179 in geology . 225 in forestry. 145 gs . English 109 interview 180.
    I wrote to moeaf dopt and others . Registered grievance also . But no reply yet. .this time applied for ifos but could not qualify prelims.
    Waiting list is prerogative of moeaf. Upsc cant do anything. You all can write to moeaf and dopt. It can benefit future generation.
    Regards
    ·
  • Sorry geology 178 not 179
    ·
  • No coaching . 2 month self study . As i was appearing for civil too.
    For forestry
    Be careful with maniknandan. Read only those thing which u can understand . As in this book
    I found things difficult to comprehend . Concepts are not explained properly . I used sageriya . Nepal forestry and the maximum use of youtube videos. Used coloured pencil for drawings. Try to make maximum diagrams. Use simple mathematical and graphical representation for question. One thing i would like to tell do not try to give scientific name of trees . Because it can take lot of time to mug that. Just remember 20 names which can be used at maximum place. If it is difficult to grip the concept of cai and mai . Look for it on you tube . There are some financial calculation for returns on you tube which is same for forestry.
    You need clarity for cai mai yield . It will help you lot in exam in some way .
    ·
  • No coaching . 2 month self study . As i was appearing for civil too.
    For forestry
    Be careful with maniknandan. Read only those thing which u can understand . As in this book
    I found things difficult to comprehend . Concepts are not explained properly . I used sageriya . Nepal forestry and the maximum use of youtube videos. Used coloured pencil for drawings. Try to make maximum diagrams. Use simple mathematical and graphical representation for question. One thing i would like to tell do not try to give scientific name of trees . Because it can take lot of time to mug that. Just remember 20 names which can be used at maximum place. If it is difficult to grip the concept of cai and mai . Look for it on you tube . There are some financial calculation for returns on you tube which is same for forestry.
    You need clarity for cai mai yield . It will help you lot in exam in some way .

Thank you sir.. :)
    Which book is this? (sageriya , nepal forestry?)
    What is this mathematical and graphical representation?
    ·
  • For geology
    Avoid bangar except rocks . It is of no use .
    More over examiner is pissing off the geology student by some way or other .
    I think except plaentology engineering student can understand the subject.
    I used nptel. Tulane university notes . Mahaptra for plaentology .
    For boundary problem use beilliant material.
    For plaentology try to study with some of your friend having medical science or geology as graduation subject.
    Used you tube for different topics . You will get maximum topic at nptel . Keep patience while reading it .
    Paper1 part1 and paper 2 part 2 is easy . Less time consuming and scoring . While rest you have to mug things alot .
    Try to make graphs as much as you can . Like in rocks use pressure temperature graphs.
    You get 70 percent marks of your right attempt in geology. My experience
    Rest is your luck .
    All the best
    ·
  • For geology
    Avoid bangar except rocks . It is of no use .
    More over examiner is pissing off the geology student by some way or other .
    I think except plaentology engineering student can understand the subject.
    I used nptel. Tulane university notes . Mahaptra for plaentology .
    For boundary problem use beilliant material.
    For plaentology try to study with some of your friend having medical science or geology as graduation subject.
    Used you tube for different topics . You will get maximum topic at nptel . Keep patience while reading it .
    Paper1 part1 and paper 2 part 2 is easy . Less time consuming and scoring . While rest you have to mug things alot .
    Try to make graphs as much as you can . Like in rocks use pressure temperature graphs.
    You get 70 percent marks of your right attempt in geology. My experience
    Rest is your luck .
    All the best

Thank you sir.. All the best :)
    ·
  • For forestry there as no such you tube channel . But you have to put individual topic in search bar. It can be irritating to search right thing . But once you find it things can be simple. Be patient.
    One thing whole forestry is dependent on few concept like silviculture and forest management . Do it nicely
    At last it comes to wether you are getting questions according to your taste or not .
    ·
  • Sageriya nbt book .
    Nepal forestry is site used by most of the student.
    One thing more you all have got golden chance by qualifying prelims . Try to convert it . 15 days for forestry will suffice for getting decent marks.
    ·
  • 4 marks

IFoS Marks magnified - Copy.jpg
    547 x 568 - 74K
    ·
  • @zeus666 sir interview marks /\
    ·
  • INFI said:

@zeus666 sir interview marks /\

But...

"In the end...it doesn't even matter.." !!
    ·
    @"Conscience Keeper" u have raised completely relevant issues, but sadly UPSC wont hear any of these arguments. Experience hai.
    Better to accept this flawed situation as it is, and prepare accordingly.

@zeus666 ....great marks bro.
    All the best for IFoS 2017 Mains.
    ·
  • zeus666 said:

4 marks

You can do it bro.
    It was sheer bad luck you had geology as your optional in that particular year.

Keep fighting.
    Just do it.
    ·
  • chuck said:

@"Conscience Keeper" u have raised completely relevant issues, but sadly UPSC wont hear any of these arguments. Experience hai.

@chuck -- bro, please elaborate a bit more...actions u had taken and response u hd received from their end?

Can't we send mails to Dr. Harsh Vardhan?

drhrshvardhan@gmail.com
    ·
  • chuck said:

Thanks a lot bro...but I wasnt able to clear IFoS cut off this time.. :smile:
    ·
  • zeus666 said:

4 marks

you are an inspiration. I hope you make it, this country needs people this inspired to work at moef.
    ·
  • chuck said:

@chuck -- bro, please elaborate a bit more...actions u had taken and response u hd received from their end?

Can't we send mails to Dr. Harsh Vardhan?

drhrshvardhan@gmail.com
    @"Conscience Keeper" ...bhai check ur message box.

U can. No harm in doing it (mailing to Mr. HV).
    However m sure that nothing will change ...no one will respond to mails.
    ·
  • zeus666 said:

chuck said:

Thanks a lot bro...but I wasnt able to clear IFoS cut off this time.. :smile:
    :( ooh sorry mate. Give ur best in 2018 ...success has been delayed, but wont be denied.
    ·
  • Two of my friends opted for ifos just for 'fun', to see whether they are able to clear it or not or how fun it is to clear ifos cut off with random optionals. They both cleared. I can not explain how bad I felt at this fun thing. They are not sure if they will write ifos main or not.

But I thought it is okay for me as ifos would only a backup for me with having only one common optional But how about the people whose sole aim is ifos.
    God please put some humanity in people :'(
    ·
  • zeus666 said:

4 marks

you are an inspiration. I hope you make it, this country needs people this inspired to work at moef.
    Ha Ha!! Thank you @sylvian_10 !!
    Have been observing you since last yr...your google drive link did come in handy!
    Best wishes for the Mains!
    ·
  • zeus666 said:

zeus666 said:

4 marks

Ha Ha!! Thank you @sylvian_10 !!
    Have been observing you since last yr...your google drive link did come in handy!
    Best wishes for the Mains!
    If you haven't could you please share your interview transcript, 210 is pretty solid. A word file/pdf would be great.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog