ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

How to start afresh for civils after failing Prelims 2-3 times?

i am posting this on behalf of a friend this query. What is someone hasn't been able to clear prelims in 3 attempts, is there any chance of clearing later? if so, how should one plan his journey ahead? because after not being able to clear prelims, it becomes difficult to orient oneself for the exam. and then it becomes series of prelims with no result.

second, should one simply follow the model of joining test series and keep rolling the dice?

@Neyawn , your guidance and views will be helpful in this regard.

Comments

• I am in the same boat. After 3 failed attempts, my energy level has deteriorated further. Dont know what to do.
    Please guide how to continue.
  • I have failed 2 times but I have been making similar mistakes. I will try not to commit those mistakes this time.
  • If people provide data points, it will be helpful for experts here to arrive conclusively. e.g. Difference of cut-off marks and their own marks. If the difference is minimising, they can intensify the same strategy else look for alternate views.

I am closely following this thread.
  • Same story.. How about following insightsonindia schedule or making our own schedule.. See the point is we have already read basic books. The only problem i'm facing is procrastination. we can set daily targets + daily quiz and secure + taking insights prelims test together then comparing marks + discussion. If anyone of you interested, let me know.
  • dont knoow what to do
    not cleared after solving vision n insit test
  • i am posting this on behalf of a friend this query. What is someone hasn't been able to clear prelims in 3 attempts, is there any chance of clearing later? if so, how should one plan his journey ahead? because after not being able to clear prelims, it becomes difficult to orient oneself for the exam. and then it becomes series of prelims with no result.

second, should one simply follow the model of joining test series and keep rolling the dice?

This year AIR-26 Mallika Sudheer cleared this exam in her 4th attempt. Earlier failed 3 prelims.
    One girl got rank around 530s also cleared prelims in her 4th attempt.

Remember Vivek -AIR 300, and Raja Ganapathy Ramasamy (IAS) - could clear prelims in their 5th attempt !!! later got selected.
    These are just few examples which I know, there will be many more.
    Now ask your friend- if these people could do it, then why can't you ??

Muskil jaroor hai, Par namumkin nahi hai ! Literally speaking Janta give example and get inspired from people who have shown exemplary courage to pursue their dreams. Kick in and try one more time.

Regarding what should be done - Ask your friend to lock himself/herself in a room for few hours and figure out his/her mistakes. I am sure he/she must be repeating same set of mistakes every time and appearing in the prelims without correcting them. SWOT analysis, brainstorm, write your mistakes on a piece of paper, stick it on the study table.

mostly people fail to be consistent for say 10-12 months and study like mad person, 3-4 months before prelims and expect good results. Some will clear with 2 months study (very very few like Artika Sukla type) but most of the people who clear work relentlessly for at least 8-10 months.

Ask your friend to study consistently, 6-8 hours per day without fail for next 6 months and then 8-10 hours for next 4 months without fail, phir bhi kuch na ho to samajh lena 'IAS se kuch behtar awaits him".
    Against Islamic terrorism, Hindu nation agenda of RSS, Communist bloodshed in Kerala and WB. Learning "how to become a rationalist".

हर हर महादेव | जय माँ भवानी |
  • i am posting this on behalf of a friend this query. What is someone hasn't been able to clear prelims in 3 attempts, is there any chance of clearing later? if so, how should one plan his journey ahead? because after not being able to clear prelims, it becomes difficult to orient oneself for the exam. and then it becomes series of prelims with no result.

This year AIR-26 Mallika Sudheer cleared this exam in her 4th attempt. Earlier failed 3 prelims.

Remember Vivek -AIR 300, and Raja Ganapathy Ramasamy (IAS) - could clear prelims in their 5th attempt !!! later got selected.

Muskil jaroor hai, Par namumkin nahi hai ! Literally speaking Janta give example and get inspired from people who have shown exemplary courage to pursue their dreams. Kick in and try one more time.

Regarding what should be done - Ask your friend to lock himself/herself in a room for few hours and figure out his/her mistakes. I am sure he/she must be repeating same set of mistakes every time and appearing in the prelims without correcting them. SWOT analysis, brainstorm, write your mistakes on a piece of paper, stick it on the study table.

mostly people fail to be consistent for say 10-12 months and study like mad person, 3-4 months before prelims and expect good results. Some will clear with 2 months study (very very few like Artika Sukla type) but most of the people who clear work relentlessly for at least 8-10 months.

Ask your friend to study consistently, 6-8 hours per day without fail for next 6 months and then 8-10 hours for next 4 months without fail, phir bhi kuch na ho to samajh lena 'IAS se kuch behtar awaits him".
    +1

Also this

Strategically speaking, do this

1) Improving reading comprehension
    2) stop making shortcuts while studying
    3) re examine study timings, health, mental health and diet
    4) exercise
    5)Use Mains and Pre integrated approach!
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • edited August 3
    rigorous revision of same sources. The only key which I think. Baki tests etc can be useful if paper is current oriented.
    basic sources everybody knows like spectrum, Laxmikant, etc.
    Prelims - 3, Mains - 2*, Interview - 0.

I know who that friend is ;)

Let me tell you, with the benefit of hindsight is that you may be trying to solve a problem that does not and should not exist in the first place. And you may not realise it now, but you will, eventually. And when it does, the futility of it all will shine on its own.

I will answer this question in a while, meanwhile, Congrats on making it to the final list!

Will you be joining this year?

The service allocation has happened, so you may be better suited to take a decision now.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • elenaa said:

Same story.. How about following insightsonindia schedule or making our own schedule.. See the point is we have already read basic books. The only problem i'm facing is procrastination. we can set daily targets + daily quiz and secure + taking insights prelims test together then comparing marks + discussion. If anyone of you interested, let me know.

This doesn't sustain for long. Doesn't give required returns. Invest when it's needed. I am on the same ship. It's much better to focus on your optional right now.
    Procrastination has to be nipped at the bud. Only you yourself can figure a way out.
  • Neyawn said:

i am posting this on behalf of a friend this query. What is someone hasn't been able to clear prelims in 3 attempts, is there any chance of clearing later? if so, how should one plan his journey ahead? because after not being able to clear prelims, it becomes difficult to orient oneself for the exam. and then it becomes series of prelims with no result.

I know who that friend is ;)

Let me tell you, with the benefit of hindsight is that you may be trying to solve a problem that does not and should not exist in the first place. And you may not realise it now, but you will, eventually. And when it does, the futility of it all will shine on its own.

I will answer this question in a while, meanwhile, Congrats on making it to the final list!

Will you be joining this year?

The service allocation has happened, so you may be better suited to take a decision now.

bhai, not joining this year... current service and job in IES is better than what i am getting.. have messaged you, check inbox.

it was interview again man, 132 number mile hain, mera give up ho gaya hai is exam se. english utni achhi nahi hai har baar wahi ho raha hai yaar.. ab toh boss chutti bhi nahi dega preparation ke liye..office me bhi sabko pata hai ki paper de raha hoon civils ka..

• Life said:

elenaa said:

Same story.. How about following insightsonindia schedule or making our own schedule.. See the point is we have already read basic books. The only problem i'm facing is procrastination. we can set daily targets + daily quiz and secure + taking insights prelims test together then comparing marks + discussion. If anyone of you interested, let me know.

This doesn't sustain for long. Doesn't give required returns. Invest when it's needed. I am on the same ship. It's much better to focus on your optional right now.
    Procrastination has to be nipped at the bud. Only you yourself can figure a way out.
    that is correct, it is impossible to follow "insights" or "forumias" mains marathon all year and stay motivated staying in one place, then u are wrong.

bhai yeh sab padh ke bahut motivate hote hai but at the end bahut mushkil hota hai , mai bhi 3 failure dekh chuka hun continuous family pressure bahut jayada hai papa keh rahe hai shadi karke business start kar le puri colony and relative ke samne mazak ban gya hun
    and ab itni himmat nhi ke logo ka samna kar sku buss gar par baitha rehta hun kuch nhi karta hun din bhar share market mai trading ke alawa kahin mann nhi lagta ab
    kbhi mann hota hai upsc chod du kabhi mann karta hai wapis start karu ek aur attempt du ( i am 27 )
    bahut logo ko acha chance milta hai mere bahut se frnds 5 sal se delhi hai akele prepartion kar rahe hai mai apne gar se prepartion kar raha hun 2014 mai sirf 7 months vajiram mai nikla tha fir tab se gar par hi hun (problem at home )
    gar ka chota mota kam karta hun and sath mai self study lekin ab zindigi ek mazak ban gyi hai
    mai 2014 mai apni govt job(central psu ) se resign kar ke aaj ek joker ban gya hun mere se choti age wale mere kahin relative bank mai po wagreh ban ke achi life ji rhe hai mai ab unse bhi gya gujara ban gya hun
    puri tarah se shame less
    Pi Pi Pi
  • My Problem is diffrent from you people...
    I have cracked in 2nd attempt (last year)..But this year (3rd attempt) M again failed in pre..M not getting where I did mistake?? I think M the single piece jo itna dumb hai.. :'(
  • My Problem is diffrent from you people...
    I have cracked in 2nd attempt (last year)..But this year (3rd attempt) M again failed in pre..M not getting where I did mistake?? I think M the single piece jo itna dumb hai.. :'(

I am in your list .
    Givem mains twice and interview once.
    2015 - Mains with Job(Software engineering)
    2016 - Mains + interviewed (left job in july 2016 to further to now)
    2017 - Prelims not cleared. I did lot of blunders.(Prepared all time ..without job)

I figured out that - Even if u are CHAMP, never ever tale pre for granted. If u r indisciplined, following shortcuts, Moving with over confidence... etc etc ...
    Sword of prelims is there to thrash u in 20 pieces in those 3 hours.
    My lesson :smile:
    1. Be very disciplined(Not procrastination)
    2. Respect PRELIMS exam more and more.
    3. If u r an old plaver - Still give minimum 3 months specially to Prelims. (I gave 40days for pre 2017 and lost by 5-6 marks ...I know about 90 questions but go so confused in about 30-35 questions... I can't say.... I just hate myself for being overconfident in 2017)
    4. Don't take Paper 2 for granted . One of my frnd failed on same day . paper 26 ques only and paper 1 - 120 around marks.
    4. Even selected guys fails in pre badly.(One of my frnd IPS and one is IIS failed in 2017 pre)
    5. Prelims is the shallow hell and Mains is virtual heaven .
    Thus - For prelims which is shallow hell ..you have to be vigil enough otherwise any small poisonous bug(2marks ques) can end your dream
    For mains - Virtual heaven - U feel u did everything right and fanstastic in paper but later actually got mains marks in two digits all. ( 2015 marks only 540 . and after learning above lesson 2016 - Mains marks 814. )

So , Thing is :smile:

उठो धरा के अमर सपूतो पुन: नया निर्माण करो
    - रामधारी सिह दिनकर

However, I have lost my everything for this very exam ... Job(5 year exp when i left - I had to wait to start pre because my family is weak ..so i have to fund my dream myself ) , Invested my savings to live in delhi, Paisa khatam in coaching and all, No money to purchase even a single book , No support from home, No one cares , Gilfriend - was studying in IIT BHU ..5 year relation... Now dont pay a shit .
    And so many things .

After being broken since 24-25 july , When 207 result came , I wept and wept and wept and wept for 2-3 dayz .
    But later collected myself- Gone to Temple and sit a whole day there to get myself right. I choose to join my job again within 20 days .. Even i could stil get 12-15 lacs package by one month hard work in computer science ...!!
    So, To survival- I packed my UPSC books whole day while weeping....and unpacked computers and programming books which i packed years ago...!!
    But, I would return after getting Job .... in two months and prepare along with job ... I would throw every heck out of me ... I will give watever this ecam requires again ... Yes i will .... I can't be defeated every time in essence !!!

My dream for civils never die such a tragic death !!
    I do. I do. I do . I am in hibernation for my survival and return this time with full might.
    Mains Giver 2015 and 2016 .
    Not cleared yet.
  • copied from quora , answer by Chandra Mohan Garg, IAS 2015 Batch, Rank 25

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-continue-my-UPSC-preparation-even-after-3-failed-attempts-to-clear-the-prelims
    Hello friends. The prelims results are recently declared. Some of you would be going through a tough time, trying to digest the fact that you were not able to make in the list. These are probably the toughest times; when no one except us can understand how we are feeling. And we can’t even make others understand it. There are multiple feelings inside us. We feel disgusted for the fact we couldn’t clear it , we feel frustrated that one year got wasted, we feel depressed about future, we doubt our capabilities and most importantly we feel directionless.

This small note from my side is not to make u feel more depressed. It is simply written to make you understand that what you are feeling, there thousands of others are feeling in the same way. So your case is not unique. What can be unique is your reasons (victim of stupidity, unlucky, missed by an inch, did not do hard work and so on) , but feelings and condition is the same for all.

Do you really think the journey was going to be a cake walk? When there are a million applicants and only a thousand seats, the competition is not about how smart, intelligent or hard working you are. The competition is about how did you managed to be patient and persistent despite life was throwing its own challenges on you, despite failures, despite no one being there to understand your mental state. Each and every one of us has been though these tough times, what matters is how we handled it. There are hardly 1-2 % people who manage to fight the odds and ultimately achieve their goals, Rest fall into a trap of negativity and ultimately fail to accomplish their dreams despite being the fact that they were hard working and intelligent. So understand this fact that this is neither IIT or IIM exam where intelligence matters, nor SSC where hard work matters. This is Baap of all exams where you need some intelligence, some hard work but more than that you need a right attitude, clarity, focus and will to fight the odds.

Do I mean you should not feel bad about failing? No, I feel it is normal to feel bad, normal to question why you failed, normal to feel disgusted and normal to feel a little angered. Don’t let these feelings overpower you and make you fall into a loop of negativity, where you start thinking that I am incapable, I am doing everything wrong etc. Even I could not clear prelims in my first attempt, and there are many who couldn’t clear multiple times but still managed to be a civil servant. So failing and feeling angered is normal, but letting it impact you is a sign of abnormality.

You just need to do two things. One is to use your anger to provide you thrust. Sometimes when we are hurt we do wonders, so try to make the best use of these feelings to make you work madly. As if throwing up a challenge itself, “what do you think? You will hit me and I will fall down. Nobody can come between me and my dreams. Let me tell you what I am made up of and what I am capable of doing”. Trust me it works. We perform beyond our limits in adverse situations. Other is to Introspect. There is no point in getting egoistic. Talk to teachers, friends and seniors to identify where you are going wrong. Are you studying less? Or are you not studying relevant things? Or might be you are studying but failing to remember or recall. Something or the other might be wrong. You need to figure that out and fix it.

UPSC CSE examination is like a journey. Here it’s a test of your complete personality. So try to build and make yourself strong not only in academics or in ability to slog but also mentally. Irrespective of what was your past (academics), you can always manage to work in your present and change yours and this nations future.

Just remember one simple thing. It is common people who do uncommon things when they have CLARITY about what they want, REASON about why they want it, TRUST that they can do it and yes WILL to get it irrespective of all odds. If you have it or develop it , I am sure you will be in the list.

Best of luck !!!

We are our memory,
    we are that chimerical museum of shifting shapes,
    that pile of broken mirrors.
  • I am also facing the same problem . I don't know whether to continue or to quit it altogether , because i don't think i have the heart to face another failure next year . I want some stability and steadiness in the near future in order to prepare again .I know there is a possibility of failure in everything that we do in whatever field. Nothing is easy . So if i change my career path now , the feeling of uncertainty would still be there, but at least i would start afresh .

Personally , i think at another level there is seduction of this exam. There are various ways to serve the country and being a civil servant is not the only way . We don't just need bureaucrats, but citizens who play an active role in social entrepreneurship and try to participate in political and social processes, and make the govt. accountable . Good governance is a two way process, it has to be both top down and bottom up . Look at kailash satyarthi , Rajendra singh , medha patkar . But we as a society rarely discuss their efforts and career paths so that we can also imagine ourselves in the same shoes. In fact , we need international awards to recognize their efforts. To be honest , i respect those who clear this exam, but i am not awe struck by them. To me , they are just the people who had the courage to pursue their dreams against all odds and had the mental strength to keep going and play their cards well . But i would truly admire them if they really use the opportunity that comes with clearing this exam to do something constructive in society and not be dodged by the negativity ki is desh ka kuch nahi ho sakta and the social problems in the country. Moreover, not just as an active citizen , you still serve the country with whatever means you have, whether you are a teacher , an IT engineer , a doctor, a farmer , a writer , a poet etc, if you love your work and do it with whole heart. Each one of them has a crucially important role to play , its just that they just don't receive the glory and glamour that the Civil services toppers receive , because society worships govt jobs so much . and that means ,that we as a society worship stability , security . We need the assurance that things will be fine for us in the future , both economically and socially , only that will give us happiness. I am not saying indians do not take risks , but most of us (including me) are wary of what society will think of in case we remain stuck or are stuck in this exam with no fruit of selection. This is both natural and okay to feel . It means we are conscious of our role in the society , and as a social animal we want to feel as a part of something fruitful and little bit recognition is ok. If there was no audience, there wouldn't be artists. But , we also have a personal responsibility towards ourselves and our own growth , because we belong to a world that predated our existence and will survive our departure . The lives of men are in a whirl .So we are entitled to make as many mistakes we want , and pursue our heart's calling because one day this personal consciousness that speaks to us everyday will also end . at least we won't die unexplored, unbloomed.

I also think that every dream has that intense fighting stage , when you really need to stick your head out , hold yourself together and give one last push with a positivity of madness of another world, which you never thought existed in you . I see that in the life of anurag kashyap and nawazuddin siddiqui . any substantial result requires transformation and sometimes, a lot of time. .No life is born without pain and blood . Therefore i am confused, should i just drop it altogether and start afresh because i still want to serve my country , or to just give one last shot with positivity , in a deontological manner , with no attachment to result . I think what went wrong in my prelims this time was that i was afraid , afraid of failure and what would happen if i don't clear it again , but i kept reassuring myself . still, there was a mental block which was there in the exam , the hope kept dimming with every other question and i kept telling myself to hold on and keep going . If there is anything i need to work on , i think its my faith in myself . But still, that's not enough to drive me to study again .

As of now , my only goal is to work on many fronts . i am preparing for other exams as well , and trying not to lose touch with the process of this exam's preparation, hoping one day that my preparation meets that golden opportunity and i am in the right state of mind to achieve it . and even if things don't work out, i would still curse myself because i am a human , but i hope that by then i have made efforts to diversify my opportunities and find myself somewhere.

We are our memory,
  • zazen said:

I am also facing the same problem . I don't know whether to continue or to quit it altogether , because i don't think i have the heart to face another failure next year . I want some stability and steadiness in the near future in order to prepare again .I know there is a possibility of failure in everything that we do in whatever field. Nothing is easy . So if i change my career path now , the feeling of uncertainty would still be there, but at least i would start afresh .

Personally , i think at another level there is seduction of this exam. There are various ways to serve the country and being a civil servant is not the only way . We don't just need bureaucrats, but citizens who play an active role in social entrepreneurship and try to participate in political and social processes, and make the govt. accountable . Good governance is a two way process, it has to be both top down and bottom up . Look at kailash satyarthi , Rajendra singh , medha patkar . But we as a society rarely discuss their efforts and career paths so that we can also imagine ourselves in the same shoes. In fact , we need international awards to recognize their efforts. To be honest , i respect those who clear this exam, but i am not awe struck by them. To me , they are just the people who had the courage to pursue their dreams against all odds and had the mental strength to keep going and play their cards well . But i would truly admire them if they really use the opportunity that comes with clearing this exam to do something constructive in society and not be dodged by the negativity ki is desh ka kuch nahi ho sakta and the social problems in the country. Moreover, not just as an active citizen , you still serve the country with whatever means you have, whether you are a teacher , an IT engineer , a doctor, a farmer , a writer , a poet etc, if you love your work and do it with whole heart. Each one of them has a crucially important role to play , its just that they just don't receive the glory and glamour that the Civil services toppers receive , because society worships govt jobs so much . and that means ,that we as a society worship stability , security . We need the assurance that things will be fine for us in the future , both economically and socially , only that will give us happiness. I am not saying indians do not take risks , but most of us (including me) are wary of what society will think of in case we remain stuck or are stuck in this exam with no fruit of selection. This is both natural and okay to feel . It means we are conscious of our role in the society , and as a social animal we want to feel as a part of something fruitful and little bit recognition is ok. If there was no audience, there wouldn't be artists. But , we also have a personal responsibility towards ourselves and our own growth , because we belong to a world that predated our existence and will survive our departure . The lives of men are in a whirl .So we are entitled to make as many mistakes we want , and pursue our heart's calling because one day this personal consciousness that speaks to us everyday will also end . at least we won't die unexplored, unbloomed.

I also think that every dream has that intense fighting stage , when you really need to stick your head out , hold yourself together and give one last push with a positivity of madness of another world, which you never thought existed in you . I see that in the life of anurag kashyap and nawazuddin siddiqui . any substantial result requires transformation and sometimes, a lot of time. .No life is born without pain and blood . Therefore i am confused, should i just drop it altogether and start afresh because i still want to serve my country , or to just give one last shot with positivity , in a deontological manner , with no attachment to result . I think what went wrong in my prelims this time was that i was afraid , afraid of failure and what would happen if i don't clear it again , but i kept reassuring myself . still, there was a mental block which was there in the exam , the hope kept dimming with every other question and i kept telling myself to hold on and keep going . If there is anything i need to work on , i think its my faith in myself . But still, that's not enough to drive me to study again .

As of now , my only goal is to work on many fronts . i am preparing for other exams as well , and trying not to lose touch with the process of this exam's preparation, hoping one day that my preparation meets that golden opportunity and i am in the right state of mind to achieve it . and even if things don't work out, i would still curse myself because i am a human , but i hope that by then i have made efforts to diversify my opportunities and find myself somewhere.

Bro... I disagree with u ... I given civils because - I love challenges ahead in that job .
    My Family never wanted me as a civil servants as I was doing better being a software professional with hefty package.
    My family scolds my decision of entering to civils.
    Its not all about Power and money ... How come more good officers will come ... If the good aspirants will hive up thier aspirations.

For me - Civil is just a launchpad to do million things in life as we live in India where things are centrred around bureaux.

P.S. See my answer above .

Not cleared yet.
  • edited August 4
    @gaurav_javaexpert BRO, i don't understand what you have inferred from my post or even read it completely . I am not here to spread any negativity over this dream . I am not saying its about power and money . I am saying there is a seduction to clear this exam and we run after it . It becomes difficult to call out the seduction . and we suffer because of the same feelings , if we are not able to clear it . WE judge ourselves . The problem is that once you in are the mode of civils prep, you don't have the time or capacity to do the things you once did . you become a one dimensional man . you lose touch with yourself . and lo, if you fail , you keep slipping into a loop of negativity . moreover, there is a seduction to clear this exam in first attempt. alll of this makes us lose touch with ourselves, with who we are, what we are capable of and we become scared of the future and the uncertainties it brings.

i am merely describing the process.

it becomes easier to approach something once you have admitted the challenges that come with it , and become more realistic about it

The goal is not be in a state of despair, but "cheerful despair ".

Moreover, i was moved to write this , after reading the post by "local train" . i wanted to give him perspective , that i am also going through the same phase in which i do not understand whether to quit or to continue and where i have come so far . I merely tried to constructively approach the issue in my own way .
    We are our memory,
  • zazen said:

@gaurav_javaexpert BRO, i don't understand what you have inferred from my post or even read it completely . I am not here to spread any negativity over this dream . I am not saying its about power and money . I am saying there is a seduction to clear this exam and we run after it . It becomes difficult to call out the seduction . and we suffer because of the same feelings , if we are not able to clear it . WE judge ourselves . The problem is that once you in are the mode of civils prep, you don't have the time or capacity to do the things you once did . you become a one dimensional man . you lose touch with yourself . and lo, if you fail , you keep slipping into a loop of negativity . moreover, there is a seduction to clear this exam in first attempt. alll of this makes us lose touch with ourselves, with who we are, what we are capable of and we become scared of the future and the uncertainties it brings.

i am merely describing the process.

it becomes easier to approach something once you have admitted the challenges that come with it , and become more realistic about it

The goal is not be in a state of despair, but "cheerful despair ".

Moreover, i was moved to write this , after reading the post by "local train" . i wanted to give him perspective , that i am also going through the same phase in which i do not understand whether to quit or to continue and where i have come so far . I merely tried to constructively approach the issue in my own way .

Thanks .. Great of u.
    Not cleared yet.
  • After failing in prelims 3 times in a row I think it all boils down to the art of solving MCQs which will help you clear the prelims. So rigourous practice of MCQs is the only thing which will help to master the art of solving MCQs.
  • it was my 5th attempt . Could not qualify prelims becoz some silly mistakes like mapping etc. Allthough I have done mapping of Mediterranean countries and middle east thousand time before p.t. May be day was not mine. In last attempt i have given mains with geography as an optional. scored only 220 in optional. right now i am focussing on back up jobs and state pcs. i would like to give an honest piece of advice to aspirants with 3rd or 4th attempt. dont be myopic in view. p.t is not the only hurdle. plz plz get command over optional and essay. this is the key to qualify in the exam. This year or next year you guys will definitely qualify pre. so make sure, when u qualify pre that shoild be you last attempt in order to get in civil service. so never take optional and other things lightly. This is the real time to sharpen the skill on essay and g.s paper. so utilize this time. dont let procastination to overcome your mental strength. join gym or do exercise to make a regular routine.
    best of luck
  • How do you guys manage the fluctuation of energy while preparing? Any anecdote will help!
    Especially when you know that u are out in pre and have to wait one whole year for exam??
    Dog days are over
  • edited August 4
    saitama said:

How do you guys manage the fluctuation of energy while preparing? Any anecdote will help!
    Especially when you know that u are out in pre and have to wait one whole year for exam??

I mean one generally pick up pace after mains or so, but immediately after prelims i am finding it very difficult.
    PS: i am not in delhi and neither in coaching.
    Dog days are over
  • saitama said:

saitama said:

How do you guys manage the fluctuation of energy while preparing? Any anecdote will help!

I mean one generally pick up pace after mains or so, but immediately after prelims i am finding it very difficult.
    PS: i am not in delhi and neither in coaching.
    If in Delhi... Go visit South block, North Block, any museum, Official buildings, etc etc... There's a lot to do here. Atleast once or twice in a week do this. This is the only time when you can spare a bit luxuriously... You will feel urge to study... Worked for me..
  • pandit ji said:

it was my 5th attempt . Could not qualify prelims becoz some silly mistakes like mapping etc. Allthough I have done mapping of Mediterranean countries and middle east thousand time before p.t. May be day was not mine. In last attempt i have given mains with geography as an optional. scored only 220 in optional. right now i am focussing on back up jobs and state pcs. i would like to give an honest piece of advice to aspirants with 3rd or 4th attempt. dont be myopic in view. p.t is not the only hurdle. plz plz get command over optional and essay. this is the key to qualify in the exam. This year or next year you guys will definitely qualify pre. so make sure, when u qualify pre that shoild be you last attempt in order to get in civil service. so never take optional and other things lightly. This is the real time to sharpen the skill on essay and g.s paper. so utilize this time. dont let procastination to overcome your mental strength. join gym or do exercise to make a regular routine.
    best of luck

If we have regular routine without joining gym or exercise (e.g. lazy me), how much necessary as exercise or gyming? The toughest thing is to get up in the morning. Can it be attributed to prelims failure, slightly?
  • edited August 4
    I have appeared in 4 prelims. And cleared the last two (2017 and 2016).

I very strongly believe that if a specific strategy is followed, prelims can be cracked each year and every year. Why, there are people who clear prelims 6-7-8 times continuously. If they can, why can't others?

And I have a fairly large sample size which corroborates this assertion.
    I am not saying there is only one strategy, I am saying that one needs to find the strategy that suits them.

That being said, there are certain dos and don'ts, like in everything. This is, after all, just another exam.

Won't be able to write in detail right now due to severe paucity of time, but I will write something on this come November.

Meanwhile, my request to those thinking about leaving prep is not to do so ONLY because of the reason that they've failed in prelims. Clearing prelims is a matter of knowledge and strategy, not entirely of luck. Well, 95% knowledge and strategy and 5% luck.

Till November, finish your optional subjects, read the newspaper, write answers daily (if you are into that sort of thing), and most importantly, always be inquisitive, curious and positive.

Barring a couple of months before the actual exam (when the actual grind starts), treat the studies not as a burden, but as an opportunity to learn more about the country and the world - the flaws, the perfections, the good, bad and the ugly - and think what you would do if you were in a position to change it.

Would end with a quote from my all-time favourite poem If:

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!"

Stay positive. Stay strong. Stay determined.
    All the best!
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @DrKingSchuItz
    Used the poem too much
    Din't work this time :neutral:
  • smoke said:

@DrKingSchuItz
    Used the poem too much

It works if you let it. :)
    Don't worry, try Invictus. :sunglasses:
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • smoke said:

@DrKingSchuItz
    Used the poem too much

It works if you let it. :)
    Don't worry, try Invictus. :sunglasses:
    'IF' still is my favourite.
    Read Invictus too.
    Will be looking for whatever you will come up with next. Also read what others has to say. Till then optional + daily news.
    I have a specific query, only thing I have not done in my previous attempts is joining a test series. On the silver lining my score has been coming closer to cut off every year. Would a test series help me take a leap?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog