Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Senior Candidates who failed in Prelims

Hello. This was my 5th Attempt.
Have failed once in Language paper in 2013, Missed Prelims by 1.5 marks in 2015, Missed Mains by 10 marks in 2016.
This time(2017) despite getting 120+ in Prelims paper 1 I found myself out of list because of prelims paper 2
Anyway, I will be giving last attempt in 2018 for which I'm beginning to prepare for my optional subject.
I would like to know if there are any serious candidates who find themselves in the similar situation and how they are going about their prep.
·

Comments

• Job backup?
    ·
  • This time it was my third attempt. 2015 did not qualify prelims as I laid too much emphasis on paper 2 (which was relevant until few months before the exam it was made qualifying). 2016 cleared prelims but two weeks prior to pre my mother was hospitalised and right up till mains she suffered from pyscho motor ailment aacentuated by depression. I had to take care of her as there is no one else in the house besides us. I could hardly study anything for 2016 mains and hence did not qualify. It took me some time to get my momentum back and then came 2017 prelims which I found was completely unorthodox and subjective leaving to open interpretation in many questions. Did not clear this time.
    I am now 29 years old. In 2014 I left my job as a finance journalist after experience of 3 years and enrolled in a coaching centre.
    I have been without any job for three years and surviving on my savings. Moreover I am living in a house owned by my brother in law and my sister and that makes me quite insecure as financially I have not contributed and living under somebody's house and for how long can I continue to do so.
    I am sure there are many like me in similar situations.
    It's hard to keep going on, yet there is a gut instinct that tells one could clear it. So far I have faced not only the academic hardship that is required but also personal hardship in the form of my mother's health who is still gradually recovering. MY BAD LUCK IS EXTREMELY BAD.
    But I still want to persevere and crack this exam but everyday I get overburdened by the fact that I am living in my brother in law's house, jobless and far away from becoming a Civil servant. I feel like a freeloader.
    Just wish GOD makes my life a little better in the coming years.

JUST WANTED TO LET MY FEELINGS OUT.
    ·
  • Dev_j7 said:

This time it was my third attempt. 2015 did not qualify prelims as I laid too much emphasis on paper 2 (which was relevant until few months before the exam it was made qualifying). 2016 cleared prelims but two weeks prior to pre my mother was hospitalised and right up till mains she suffered from pyscho motor ailment aacentuated by depression. I had to take care of her as there is no one else in the house besides us. I could hardly study anything for 2016 mains and hence did not qualify. It took me some time to get my momentum back and then came 2017 prelims which I found was completely unorthodox and subjective leaving to open interpretation in many questions. Did not clear this time.
    I am now 29 years old. In 2014 I left my job as a finance journalist after experience of 3 years and enrolled in a coaching centre.
    I have been without any job for three years and surviving on my savings. Moreover I am living in a house owned by my brother in law and my sister and that makes me quite insecure as financially I have not contributed and living under somebody's house and for how long can I continue to do so.
    It's hard to keep going on, yet there is a gut instinct that tells one could clear it. So far I have faced not only the academic hardship that is required but also personal hardship in the form of my mother's health who is still gradually recovering. MY BAD LUCK IS EXTREMELY BAD.
    But I still want to persevere and crack this exam but everyday I get overburdened by the fact that I am living in my brother in law's house, jobless and far away from becoming a Civil servant. I feel like a freeloader.

lol...mooch
    ·
  • Dev_j7 said:

This time it was my third attempt. 2015 did not qualify prelims as I laid too much emphasis on paper 2 (which was relevant until few months before the exam it was made qualifying). 2016 cleared prelims but two weeks prior to pre my mother was hospitalised and right up till mains she suffered from pyscho motor ailment aacentuated by depression. I had to take care of her as there is no one else in the house besides us. I could hardly study anything for 2016 mains and hence did not qualify. It took me some time to get my momentum back and then came 2017 prelims which I found was completely unorthodox and subjective leaving to open interpretation in many questions. Did not clear this time.

I wish your mother a speedy recovery. I know things are hard now but focus on the bigger picture.
    ·
  • Don't know whether I will qualify to be called as senior or not.
    This was my third attempt was getting around 104 but I knew I won't clear it.
    Last two attempts cleared pre easily and in 2016 was out by 14marks in mains..mainly due to essay(don't know why such low marks).

Hard to digest can't clear pre.
    But this is life.

But one problem is that now am not finding study interesting at all. Just passing days since pre exam.

But one thing i know will top 2018 cse for sure
    ·
  • This was my 5th attempt and continuous 3rd failure in pre.. I was expectin positive result and enrolled for mains test series and all but failed.. Right now I want to get into some job in this area only..will approach some institutes for work.. I hope I get some work for some months...
    I m depressed right now but I know I have to come out of it.. This is my dream job and I won't stop trying till me last chance..
    all i need is You Lord
    ·
  • doc said:

This was my 5th attempt and continuous 3rd failure in pre.. I was expectin positive result and enrolled for mains test series and all but failed.. Right now I want to get into some job in this area only..will approach some institutes for work.. I hope I get some work for some months...
    I m depressed right now but I know I have to come out of it.. This is my dream job and I won't stop trying till me last chance..

Drishti publication & coaching pvt. Ltd me poocho doctor sahab.. they have vacancies.. also they pay well. . Higher than others..
    @doc
    ·
  • Dev_j7 said:

@Dev_j7
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. G B Shaw
    the horror of no match found
    motivation, where art thou?
    ·
  • Hadfield said:

Have failed once in Language paper in 2013, Missed Prelims by 1.5 marks in 2015, Missed Mains by 10 marks in 2016.
    This time(2017) despite getting 120+ in Prelims paper 1 I found myself out of list because of prelims paper 2
    Anyway, I will be giving last attempt in 2018 for which I'm beginning to prepare for my optional subject.
    I would like to know if there are any serious candidates who find themselves in the similar situation and how they are going about their prep.

wow man. hats off to your perseverance. respect.
    Do not go gentle into that good night
    ·
  • Tsuki said:

Dev_j7 said:

I wish your mother a speedy recovery. I know things are hard now but focus on the bigger picture.
    Thank you so much
    ·
  • tiger101 said:

Dev_j7 said:

@Dev_j7
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. Dale Carnegie
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. G B Shaw
    Thanks a ton man. Highly appreciate the encouragement
    ·
  • Hadfield said:

You have missed 2016 mains by 10 marks. All you need is just to get through prelims next year and I am sure you will in the final list.
    ·
  • edited July 29
    2015- Failed prelims by 1 mark.(106)
    2016-(Prelims 139) Failed mains due to bad score in Ethics(79) and Essay (125)
    2017- Failed Prelims, was getting around 104
    2018- ????
    ·
  • hi @Hadfield am planning to complete optional asap, then moving to ethics and GS1, then GS2&3 by the end of these targets it will be jan2018 so after tht prelims prep.
    how about ur plan?
    am also thinking of a job backup.. i shud wait and see how tht will turnout...
    ·
  • Ant_Man said:

2018- ????

almost a similar story as mine
    ·
  • chills 1 said:

doc said:

This was my 5th attempt and continuous 3rd failure in pre.. I was expectin positive result and enrolled for mains test series and all but failed.. Right now I want to get into some job in this area only..will approach some institutes for work.. I hope I get some work for some months...

Drishti publication & coaching pvt. Ltd me poocho doctor sahab.. they have vacancies.. also they pay well. . Higher than others..
    @doc
    Thanks dear
    all i need is You Lord
    ·
  • Ant_Man said:

2018- ????

there are too many like us brother, that's also quite depressing/motivating the way we look at it, that our struggles or failures are not all that unique.
    ·
  • Ant_Man said:

Ant_Man said:

2018- ????

there are too many like us brother, that's also quite depressing/motivating the way we look at it, that our struggles or failures are not all that unique.
    +1, and everyone thinking they will top the exam in 2018!!!
    ·
  • If anyone has Social Theory and development Administration by mohit. bhattacharya, please upload photos of chapter 3 - State, Bureaucracy and Development. The pages of this chapter are missing in my book. Feeling incomplete and restless without reading this chapter. Will be of great help if someone uploads. Thanks in advance.
    ·
  • I have been failing consistently in this exam for lot many years and this year too is not an exception . How many mains and interviews ? These things are just irrelevant . Because only final list counts , other things are just plain stupidity.
    My experience :
    - How so ever well you prepare , there are lot many chances that u won't clear. Just studying hard from this day to the day just before the next pre , simply won't work . This exam has lot many variables that is not under ones control.
    - It's the best time to look for alternatives . Forget about ur time that u have spent in the past so many years . Just focus on ur alternatives . I know, it's not easy. I know how difficult to look for alternatives when u have none . And leaving the field of UPSC altogether still haunts .
    - Think and contemplate , how to use the information that u have acquired during the preparation process.You have wasted ur all years or not , wholesome , depends upon u .
    - One have no right to blame UPSC for ones failure . It's fair enough . U can't build a perfect system .
    - Never thinks that u wasted ur years in preparation. Don't insult urself . Try to think it helped u in maturing ur personality.
    - And believe me , struggles in early part of life is much appreciable than the later ones . It helps u in dealing with life better .
    ·
  • I have been failing consistently in this exam for lot many years and this year too is not an exception . How many mains and interviews ? These things are just irrelevant . Because only final list counts , other things are just plain stupidity.
    My experience :
    - How so ever well you prepare , there are lot many chances that u won't clear. Just studying hard from this day to the day just before the next pre , simply won't work . This exam has lot many variables that is not under ones control.
    - It's the best time to look for alternatives . Forget about ur time that u have spent in the past so many years . Just focus on ur alternatives . I know, it's not easy. I know how difficult to look for alternatives when u have none . And leaving the field of UPSC altogether still haunts .
    - Think and contemplate , how to use the information that u have acquired during the preparation process.You have wasted ur all years or not , wholesome , depends upon u .
    - One have no right to blame UPSC for ones failure . It's fair enough . U can't build a perfect system .
    - Never thinks that u wasted ur years in preparation. Don't insult urself . Try to think it helped u in maturing ur personality.
    - And believe me , struggles in early part of life is much appreciable than the later ones . It helps u in dealing with life better .

Sir, assuming this was your last attempt, pardon me if it's not, what are you going to do with your career now?
    It's time i left.

Citizenmonk@gmail.com
    ·
    My experience :

Where all of your points are correct, I agree with all except the first one... 'how so ever well you prepare'...
    I think if you work hard enough, in the right direction, you will definitely succeed. Yes, there are numerous other factors at play, but If and Whenever, you put in the right amount of work, I believe, nothing can stop you from achieving your goal. The only struggle is to prevent yourself from getting distracted between preparation and making sure that you do all that is required with consistency and dedication.
    If one has not been successful, there was definitely something lacking somewhere. If 1100 people can do it, overcoming their own unique problems, then any other person can do it. You only have to identify your weaknesses and work on it.
    Such interpretations do not help anyone and create an environment of gloom around the exam...
    Experience and time has shown me that, Luck is directly proportional to the hard work you put in...
    So I will beg to differ... :smile:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
    ·
  • Queen said:

I have been failing consistently in this exam for lot many years and this year too is not an exception . How many mains and interviews ? These things are just irrelevant . Because only final list counts , other things are just plain stupidity.
    My experience :

Where all of your points are correct, I agree with all except the first one... 'how so ever well you prepare'...
    I think if you work hard enough, in the right direction, you will definitely succeed. Yes, there are numerous other factors at play, but If and Whenever, you put in the right amount of work, I believe, nothing can stop you from achieving your goal. The only struggle is to prevent yourself from getting distracted between preparation and making sure that you do all that is required with consistency and dedication.
    If one has not been successful, there was definitely something lacking somewhere. If 1100 people can do it, overcoming their own unique problems, then any other person can do it. You only have to identify your weaknesses and work on it.
    Such interpretations do not help anyone and create an environment of gloom around the exam...
    Experience and time has shown me that, Luck is directly proportional to the hard work you put in...
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    The trick is not to prepare hard, the trick is to identify and correct your weaknesses while leveraging your strengths. :)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
  • Queen said:

I have been failing consistently in this exam for lot many years and this year too is not an exception . How many mains and interviews ? These things are just irrelevant . Because only final list counts , other things are just plain stupidity.
    My experience :

I wholeheartedly agree.
    The trick is not to prepare hard, the trick is to identify and correct your weaknesses while leveraging your strengths. :)
    True :relaxed:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog