How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Anyone with medical science optional writing 2017 mains

Hi doctors,

Anyone who cleared prelims 2017 with medical science can come form a group and discuss strategy,how to write answers in examination..standard of books used for preparation , if possible combined notes compilation..asking daily few possible questions as per syllabus.

COUNTING MANY TO PARTICIPATE AND I GUARANTEE U THIS DEFINITELY INCREASES YOUR OPTIONAL SCORE.. TARGET>300

Comments

• To start with .
    For gen med- davidson@ harrison handbook
    Surg- manipal
    Gyn-shaw
    Obs- mudaliar
    Spm-park
    Peds-op ghai
    Anatomy - chaurasia
    Bio- satyamarayan
    Physio-ganong
    Pharma-lippincotts
    Patho-harshmohan
    Micro- -baveja
    Forensic-laxmimarayana

IS THIS ENOUGH GUYS..Anyone following other books/ easy books than this..pls mention
  • Hi @kabaali_da
    I will also be appearing with medical science this year. My booklist is similar to yours except for the following-
    Pharma - KDT
    OBG - Dutta
    Forensic - Reddy

I am confused between George Mathew or Davidson for medicine. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also we can discuss some clinical questions of paper 2.
    There is no peace for the living.
  • Writing 2017 mains with MS
    Rakhiye te preet, nai te paleet.
  • @Dr_House By looking at previous questions it appears that they are using davidson as standard..its my view..i never read george mathew so sorry i dont know about that...

If u know others ..pls ask them to join..as u know this subject guarantees minimum 250 marks where u cannot guarantee to score in general studies..

We can get pics of flow charts, d/d , and many things..

This will help all in saving time.

We should target to complete syllabus in 1 month..

Regarding kdt pharma , it was not updated properly..i dont know hows latest edition
  • 2 interesting questions in 2016..a housewife develps itching and irritation of hands following peel ing vegetables such as jack fruit and ladys finger and itching relieved on washing withing water.
    Diagnosis?
    2)adult male in icu with extensive blistering lesions on skin and mucosa with H/O high grade fever and malaise for 7 days.
    Diagnosis
  • 2 interesting questions in 2016..a housewife develps itching and irritation of hands following peel ing vegetables such as jack fruit and ladys finger and itching relieved on washing withing water.
    Diagnosis?
    2)adult male in icu with extensive blistering lesions on skin and mucosa with H/O high grade fever and malaise for 7 days.
    Diagnosis

Irritant contact dermatitis
    2nd one Steven Johnson
  • @Dr_House By looking at previous questions it appears that they are using davidson as standard..its my view..i never read george mathew so sorry i dont know about that...

If u know others ..pls ask them to join..as u know this subject guarantees minimum 250 marks where u cannot guarantee to score in general studies..

We can get pics of flow charts, d/d , and many things..

This will help all in saving time.

We should target to complete syllabus in 1 month..

Regarding kdt pharma , it was not updated properly..i dont know hows latest edition

Ok. Ive read both Mathew and Kdt in my ug days and found them to be concise. But Davidson and Lippincott are surely superior books.

I agree that MS can help score 250 plus but Gs too has done well this year. So GS score should also be aimed at 400 or above to get a decent rank.
  • M in.. what's the plan
  • I am writing mains this year.
  • @chou I too thought same but, for sake of discussion what other we can think..like chicken pox, rickettsia, toxic epidermolysis..

Is allergic contact dermatitis= irritant contact dermatitis
  • 1)Plan - when preparing a topic pls prepare a question..like mentioning its characteristic features/ triads/ symptoms and post here.

2)If u see any flow charts on management , d/d, pls post here ..

3)if possible try to post a topic in nutshell/ outline of the topic..
  • i am preparing for mains with medical science.and my strategy is to revise / complete the few topics per day supplemented with answer writing practice
  • Let's make a WhatsApp/telegram group for daily answer writing and evaluation. If anyone interested PM me your number. Only 3-4 people not more than that.
    5th attempt
    Prelims score- 234/116/133/108/?
    Mains score-662/667/782/785
  • Did anyone write mains last 2 yrs with this option..pls tell scores.
    How is answer booklet..is it similar like gs i.e, like question space and again next question..pls clarify
  • a child age 10 yrs came with c/o of pedal edema , hematuria and he had recent h/o fever and sore throat..probable diagnosis?
  • a child age 10 yrs came with c/o of pedal edema , hematuria and he had recent h/o fever and sore throat..probable diagnosis?

Post streptococcal glomerulonephritis yaar I got 280 in optional last year but I think can score more
  • Ya its same as GS ...
  • @chou..good to hear..better luck this time..hope u will b in final list..what were your mistakes last year
  • @chou..good to hear..better luck this time..hope u will b in final list..what were your mistakes last year

Paper 2 approach needs to be comprehensive.. especially grasp of clinical questions....need to work on them
  • "Likely diagnosis" does it mean to write most probable causes and choosing one among them as best or just we have to mention one diagnosis...pls clear my doubt
  • I have given mains 2 optional era..left this field and came back again..thats why having lots of doubts ..bare me heroes..
  • "Likely diagnosis" does it mean to write most probable causes and choosing one among them as best or just we have to mention one diagnosis...pls clear my doubt

Likely diagnosis just diagnose the case and write about its management or whatever asked related to it
    Differential diagnosis write all possible diagnosis
  • @chou then he can ask directly na..what is the diagnosis...
    I raised this topic because interesting questions in 2016..

If the diagnosis was steven johnson syndrome..you cannot prove that one with H/o fever and malaise..
    Steven johnson syndrome is having criteria like involving > 30% body surface area and most likely chance of drug reaction..

Any way not sure enough to debate with you..

I feel the answer should be fever with blisters..
    I am not criticizing just want to have rational debate
  • @chou then he can ask directly na..what is the diagnosis...

If the diagnosis was steven johnson syndrome..you cannot prove that one with H/o fever and malaise..
    Steven johnson syndrome is having criteria like involving > 30% body surface area and most likely chance of drug reaction..

Whenever any question comes you have to remember from which part of syllabus it is coming then reflect that in your diagnosis...the question seems from medicine but actually is from dermatology..this is what I have understood in last 2 years but I may be wrong also
  • chou said:

@chou then he can ask directly na..what is the diagnosis...

Whenever any question comes you have to remember from which part of syllabus it is coming then reflect that in your diagnosis...the question seems from medicine but actually is from dermatology..this is what I have understood in last 2 years but I may be wrong also</blockquote

+1
  • @chou Ok..i want to know..how did u supported ur diagnosis.. This is for my sake so that i can answer similar questions ..
  • I think everyone is busy in their preparation..and then this thread irrelevant..all the best guys..we will meet again after exams..
  • I think everyone is busy in their preparation..and then this thread irrelevant..all the best guys..we will meet again after exams..

@kabaali_da
    You should give more time to others to participate in the thread. This thread is the only one for medical science and I think we should keep it active.
    It is not necessary that this thread should have daily discussions or something, but can be used to discuss doubts.

• @chou Ok..i want to know..how did u supported ur diagnosis.. This is for my sake so that i can answer similar questions ..

For diagnosis, in most questions we are given a limited history. So we have to make a diagnosis which matches with the topics in the Syllabus.
    For the above question on SJS, though history is limited but extensive blistering of skin and mucosa with fever strongly supports the diagnosis.

• chou said:

@chou then he can ask directly na..what is the diagnosis...

Whenever any question comes you have to remember from which part of syllabus it is coming then reflect that in your diagnosis...the question seems from medicine but actually is from dermatology..this is what I have understood in last 2 years but I may be wrong also
    Thats what I have been doing..relating these questions to the part of syllabus..although scores only in 250s..Could you share strategy regarding paper 2 of ms, how are you covering it and also it would be of great help if you could share answer writing strategy specially of those carrying 20 marks
    Change is The Only Constant
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog