ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Optional selection- How to? and making a group of serious candidates

I am really really confused about selecting an optional. How does one go about selecting an optional?

I have no prior graduation experience in any of the optional subjects as I will graduate with a simple BA. I understand there are pros and cons of every optional but I have hit a brick wall as some options have lesser syllabus but are application oriented while some are less in depth but more in width.

Lastly, I have eliminated all engineering, medical science and pure science related optional as neither my interest nor my caliber lies in studying them.

I will be attempting in 2018 and figure I should start optional studies now along with GS.

Kindly shed some light and help me understand how I should go about selecting one?
wubba lubba dub dub

Comments

• As you are saying that you ar BA so logical choice would be your graduation humanities subject
  • As you are saying that you ar BA so logical choice would be your graduation humanities subject

I had a bit of political science, sociology, and economics but not in great depth.

wubba lubba dub dub
  • Sociology and pol science seem like a good option then. There is enough material available too. Personally i suggest you go for sociology. It seems more straight forward and syllabus isnt massive.

Dont go for economics unless you have a degree in it or come from a strong maths background centric degree.
  • Pehle topi sahi se choose karo uske baad optional.

did not find "optional" topic so went with support and tips. Help nahi karni to na comment kar, topic ki spelling sahi se likh le
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • Tsuki said:

Sociology and pol science seem like a good option then. There is enough material available too. Personally i suggest you go for sociology. It seems more straight forward and syllabus isnt massive.

Dont go for economics unless you have a degree in it or come from a strong maths background centric degree.

Thank you, I will check sociology out. If you are preparing, what is your optional and why did you choose it?

wubba lubba dub dub
  • ashuks21 said:

Pehle topi sahi se choose karo uske baad optional.

did not find "optional" topic so went with support and tips. Help nahi karni to na comment kar, topic ki spelling sahi se likh le
    Topi sahi spelling hai
  • edited July 24
    @ashuks21 - economics. Studied till PG level and comfortable with it.
  • @ashuks21 I'd say go with either Sociology or Psychology. Pick up some books and read then choose what interests you.
  • ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai
    Just look at his tone @Huntington I wouldn't have replied as decently.
  • @ashuks21 don't ask others explicitly for optional selection. They will tell the optional that is easy or interesting for them. First look at all optionals and syllabus carefully. Then depending on your interest followed by other factors like material, test series, Seniors advice etc ... choose the one you like. Remember that once you choose the optional you feel hard to change it because of the efforts and money you had put in that optional. Take time and choose wisely. Atb
  • Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai
    online strangers se offend hone ka award lega?

wubba lubba dub dub
  • knl.ias said:

@ashuks21 don't ask others explicitly for optional selection. They will tell the optional that is easy or interesting for them. First look at all optionals and syllabus carefully. Then depending on your interest followed by other factors like material, test series, Seniors advice etc ... choose the one you like. Remember that once you choose the optional you feel hard to change it because of the efforts and money you had put in that optional. Take time and choose wisely. Atb

all right noted. If you are preparing for CSE which optional did you choose and why?
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • m3gh4 said:

@ashuks21 I'd say go with either Sociology or Psychology. Pick up some books and read then choose what interests you.

Thanks, Which optional did you choose and by what criteria?

wubba lubba dub dub
  • ashuks21 said:

knl.ias said:

@ashuks21 don't ask others explicitly for optional selection. They will tell the optional that is easy or interesting for them. First look at all optionals and syllabus carefully. Then depending on your interest followed by other factors like material, test series, Seniors advice etc ... choose the one you like. Remember that once you choose the optional you feel hard to change it because of the efforts and money you had put in that optional. Take time and choose wisely. Atb

all right noted. If you are preparing for CSE which optional did you choose and why?
    Pub ad.
    Reason-kismat. Just because some Senior told me and I blindly followed him then.
  • knl.ias said:

ashuks21 said:

knl.ias said:

Pub ad.
    Reason-kismat. Just because some Senior told me and I blindly followed him then.
    You once contemplated English literature if I'm not wrong.
    Why leave it? Would've bore fruits.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai

It's not about being offended or not, but if one is asking for some help from seniors, he should have minimum courtesy. May be you were not fortunate enough of good upbringing.
  • ashuks21 said:

m3gh4 said:

@ashuks21 I'd say go with either Sociology or Psychology. Pick up some books and read then choose what interests you.

Let me tell u asucks21 that Topi=cap. I was referring to your retarted cap with a wannabe logo of playboy. Maintain some minimum level of decency. First work on the basic skills of life asucks21.
  • ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai

Award ko apni usme daal lena asucks21
  • ashuks21 said:

m3gh4 said:

Let me tell u asucks21 that Topi=cap. I was referring to your retarted cap with a wannabe logo of playboy. Maintain some minimum level of decency. First work on the basic skills of life asucks21.
    Toh bc jab optional pooch raha hoon topi kahan se aa gaya tere dimaag me? anyways not inclined to argue more with your illogical persona. have a great day.

wubba lubba dub dub
  • Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai

It's not about being offended or not, but if one is asking for some help from seniors, he should have minimum courtesy. May be you were not fortunate enough of good upbringing.
    see minimum courtesy has to be expected from both ends does not matter senior or junior. How is my cap even an issue when I ask about a genuine query that I am facing. Other seniors have replied in a helping tone and I reciprocate by being thankful.

But don't expect that you will put any random comment and think I am the one who is retarded.

wubba lubba dub dub
  • knl.ias said:

ashuks21 said:

knl.ias said:

Pub ad.
    You once contemplated English literature if I'm not wrong.
    Why leave it? Would've bore fruits.
    I am curious... is english literature considered easy? how is it in terms of syllabus and in terms of questions asked?

wubba lubba dub dub
  • @DrKingSchultz wow!! you still remember!!!
    DrKing for a reason ;)
    Yes I did.I considered choosing English literature for a while. It is only after discussions from the thread I dropped this thought and stuck with the better known devil-Pub ad.
  • ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai

see minimum courtesy has to be expected from both ends does not matter senior or junior. How is my cap even an issue when I ask about a genuine query that I am facing. Other seniors have replied in a helping tone and I reciprocate by being thankful.

But don't expect that you will put any random comment and think I am the one who is retarded.

Wow. Good luck for your CSAT, GS4 and interview. Forumias community will be proud of you and I see where is it heading. Peace!
  • Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Shad said:

ashuks21 said:

Topi sahi spelling hai

Wow. Good luck for your CSAT, GS4 and interview. Forumias community will be proud of you and I see where is it heading. Peace!
    all the very best for your future endeavors and unlike you, my best wishes are not sarcastic, I hope you do well.
    wubba lubba dub dub

Pick up the latest notification and pore over the syllabus of subjects which you feel comfortable with and when i say pore over you've to read each and every topic of that subject.

With that you could narrow down your choices to 4-5 optionals which is further followed by looking at some prev year papers. You'll get decent idea post that regarding level of ease/tough- ness of that subject.

Now go to query bar and type that subject name and related threads will pop out.
    Get a glimpse of those thread and you'll find out some interesting views regarding that optional.
    • Ping people who are active on those thread concerning whatsover doubts you've with that optional. Most people would reply but yes, beware of trolls.
    All this would help you to pick a better optional. But don't forget that once decided, you've to show unconditional love to that subject. She demands it and she deserve it, if you do too.
    Dog days are over
  • thank you @saitama ,you the one punch man! I will follow as you have suggested.
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • saitama said:

Pick up the latest notification and pore over the syllabus of subjects which you feel comfortable with and when i say pore over you've to read each and every topic of that subject.

With that you could narrow down your choices to 4-5 optionals which is further followed by looking at some prev year papers. You'll get decent idea post that regarding level of ease/tough- ness of that subject.

Now go to query bar and type that subject name and related threads will pop out.
    Get a glimpse of those thread and you'll find out some interesting views regarding that optional.
    • Ping people who are active on those thread concerning whatsover doubts you've with that optional. Most people would reply but yes, beware of trolls.
    All this would help you to pick a better optional. But don't forget that once decided, you've to show unconditional love to that subject. She demands it and she deserve it, if you do too.
    btw, @saitama which optional have you selected and by what criteria?
    wubba lubba dub dub
  • Selling all the Socio, Pub.Ad, GS books/notes at half the price.

Books:
    PUB.Ad.
    New Horizons - Mohit Bhattacharya
    From Government to Governance by Kuldeep Mathur (National Book Trust)
    Public Admn and Public Affairs - Nicholas Henry
    Fadia and Fadia (Sahitya Bhawan Publications)
    Social Theory and Development Ethics by Mohit Bhattacharya (Jawahar Publications)
    Social Theory and Development Ethics by Mohit Bhattacharya (Jawahar Publications)
    Globalisation and Development - Sunanda Sen (NBT)
    Our Parliament by Subhash Kashyap (NBT)
    Thinkers- Prasad and Prasad
    Pub Ad- New Issues and Perspectives by Mohit Bhattacharya (Jawahar)
    Restructuring Pub Ad - A new Look by Mohit Bhattacharya (Jawahar)
    Comparative Pub Ad by Ramesh Arora
    Indian Admin by Fadia and Fadia (Paper 2)
    Public Administration by Polinaidu
    Indian Public Admin by Ramesh Arora and Rajni Goyal
    IGNOU Material (Paper 1 and Paper 2)
    Mohanty Class Notes

Sociology:
    Haralambas and Heald
    Indian Sociological Thought by Nagla (Rawat Publications)
    Indian Sociology by Veena Das (Oxford Uni Press)
    Social Change in Modern India by MN Sriniwas (Orient Blackswan)
    Bottomore - Sociology (S.Chand)
    Changing India - Robert Stern (Cambridge Uni Press)
    India Development and Participation by Amartya Sen and Jean Dreze (Oxford)
    Tribal Life in India by NK Bose (National Book Trust)
    Society in India - Mandlebaum
    Indian Society - SC Dube (NBT)
    Tribal India by Nadeem Hasnain
    Society in India by Ram Ahuja
    Ritzer
    Modernisation of Indian Tradition by Yogindra Singh
    IGNOU Material (Paper 1 and Paper 2)
    Entire Class Note Booklets by Pravin Kishore (NICE IAS)
    Handwritten notes - Upendra’s
    Handwritten Notes - Mohapatra (Vajiram)
    Handwritten Notes/Booklets - Aditya Mongra

Misc. (GS):
    Ethics-Subbarao and Chowdhary, Access Publishing
    Our Judiciary by Agarwala (Natonal Book Trust)
    Introductory Macroeconomics - NCERT- XII
    Challenges and Strategies - Rajiv Sikri (Sage Publishing)
    Essay Writing by Dr. A. R. Khan
    Uma Kapila 1991-2011 2 decades of Economic Reforms
    Indian Culture- Spectrum
    History of World - Arjun Dev (Orient Blackswan)
    Indian Economy - Dutt and Sundaram
    Indian Space by Mohan Rajan - (NBT)
    Modern History - Grover and Mehta (S. Chand)
    India After Gandhi by Ramchandra Guha
    India’s Foreign Policy by Muchkand Dubey

Email ID: 2014jito@gmail.com
    Mob: 8178480240
    Selling Location: Noida
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog