ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

[Query] Presidential election 2017: How are the votes calculated?

Actually, I am not able to relate an article of Hindu with Laxmikanth.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/presidential-election-how-are-the-votes-calculated/article19108121.ece
be a UPSC killer than a UPSC lover

Comments

• As per the article
    Hindu.PNG
    571 x 556 - 24K
  • I assume Hindu has shown the Value of an MLA vote and Total value of MLA votes same.
  • As per laxmi
    Laxmi.PNG
    197 x 107 - 13K
  • To have the Total value of MLA votes we need to multiply the Value of an MLA vote with total no of MLAs (4120).
  • edited July 22

As per the article

theek to hai bhai... BTW what's the exact discrepancy between two sources
  • I assume Hindu has shown the Value of an MLA vote and Total value of MLA votes same.

yes
  • Rather than dividing the Total value of MLA votes [549495 x 4120] by Total number of MPs(776), Hindu has divided the Value of a MLA votes by Total number of MPs ( 549495/776).
  • Hindu has shown 549495 as both Value of an MLA vote as well as the Total value of MLA votes.

yes
    How is that possible?
  • edited July 22

Rather than dividing the Total value of MLA votes [549495 x 4120] by Total number of MPs(776), Hindu has divided the Value of a MLA votes by Total number of MPs ( 549495/776).

total votes polled were 1090300 acc. to TOI...so Total value of MLA votes remains 549495 ..there is typo from Hindu in heading "Value of an MLA's vote" and shows Total value of all MLA's votes

yes
    How is that possible?
    it's typing error....
  • Rather than dividing the Total value of MLA votes [549495 x 4120] by Total number of MPs(776), Hindu has divided the Value of a MLA votes by Total number of MPs ( 549495/776).

total votes polled were 1090300 acc. to TOI...so Total value of MLA votes remains 549495 ..there is typo from Hindu in heading "Value of an MLA's vote" and shows Total value of all MLA's votes

yes
    How is that possible?
    it's typing error....
    hmm
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog