MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Abysmal Drawing Skills

Hey there ,
I'm planning to take CSE - 2018 , but I am not sure as to which optional to take . I'm interested in Geography but my drawing skills are very poor. Even 4th-5th graders can draw better than me.
Would it be wise to go on with Geography optional ?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Comments

• Diagram won't play much role (atleast didn't play in my case.)

Although you should practise to make India's sketch map thoroughly, cause that is important to show distributional pattern etc in P2. You would learn that in 20-30 rough practise, hardly 1 hour game.

But yes, there are few sketches which you should be able to draw. Like plate tectonics, Fold Fault, Parallel retreat slope etc. And these are very easy to draw.
    Drawing skill should not play even 1% role in deciding this optional.

My comment before marks were out :
    http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1265329/#Comment_1265329
    CSE '16 : Interview
  • th0r^ said:

Hey there ,
    I'm planning to take CSE - 2018 , but I am not sure as to which optional to take . I'm interested in Geography but my drawing skills are very poor. Even 4th-5th graders can draw better than me.
    Would it be wise to go on with Geography optional ?
    Thanks in advance. :smile:

Its not an art competition. All you need is to know how to draw maps...and everybody learns that with practice. Its easy to draw maps. Trust me..if you practice 3-4 days at a stretch or couple of hours everyday for a week or so..u will easily learn how to draw maps and that too quickly.
    Valar Morghulis
  • thanks guys. :-)
    I have one more doubt , how important is coaching for geography ?
  • Depends... If you are zero in this subject, then Coaching may be helpful. ( Considering no constraint on fees, time, and location)

Otherwise, if you are enthusiastic about reading books and exploring via internet etc. then there is nothing in the syllabus which you can't cover comprehensively. This applies to all humanities optional imo.

So I'd suggest try to go through last 4-5 years paper, give it 1-2 days to solve and apply logic.{considering you have atleast done NCERTs] If you get the feeling of the subject and questions, then just start with standard books right away and prep. IF you feel totally clueless, then you could think of coaching.

for books there are many content/blogs on internet. Moreover explore yourself, it will help.
    CSE '16 : Interview
  • ty sir. :smile:
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog