MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Mood swings during preparation

Hello everyone,

I struggle with the above particularly on days study doesnt go as per planned or negative thoughts come.

The sheer logistics of the exam and uncertainity of the future is overwhelming at times. Though family and friends are encouraging, the problem lies in me.. Its plain overthinking and lack of confidence.

The topper videos give me an impression that its so easy for them but that doesnt seem to be the case with me.

Are these ups and downs part of this process? How have you all tackled these issues?

Comments

• Watch tv series.
    Isliye hum gathbandhan nhi karte, tootne ka darr rehta haiclear majority hona chahiye.
  • wat cats and dogs videos on youtube, its very relaxing B)
  • Eiago said:

wat cats and dogs videos on youtube, its very relaxing B)

:D +1
  • its normal ,, condiering the uncertainty everyone feels ups n down in this process -
    so i would say start planning your day and week
    do some workout everyday for 30 mins
    powernaps in between
    n stay away from forum
    पसीने की स्याही से जो लिखते है इरादों को, उनके मुकद्दर के सफ़ेद पन्ने कभी कोरे नही होते

dekhte h zaalim or kitna tadpaega
  • Tsuki said:

Hello everyone,

I struggle with the above particularly on days study doesnt go as per planned or negative thoughts come.

The sheer logistics of the exam and uncertainity of the future is overwhelming at times. Though family and friends are encouraging, the problem lies in me.. Its plain overthinking and lack of confidence.

The topper videos give me an impression that its so easy for them but that doesnt seem to be the case with me.

Are these ups and downs part of this process? How have you all tackled these issues?

its not easy ....there may be few lucky chaps who md it in very first attempt bt not all are lucky...
    whenever u feel low just look bck n see hw far u hv cm and remember its that last step only before the crossing line which makes someone a winner..
    it will matter in the end...definitely..
  • Thanks everyone. I will keep these points in mind :smile: I think I need to start working out properly. I do play the violin, go for quick walks and watch videos to unwind but the physical lethargy seems to be translating into anxiety.
  • Tsuki said:

Thanks everyone. I will keep these points in mind :smile: I think I need to start working out properly. I do play the violin, go for quick walks and watch videos to unwind but the physical lethargy seems to be translating into anxiety.

You can be my pen pal. :) We both can create awesome history. :) I assure you that you wont get bored with me. :trollface:
    Roopmati is not an individual. Roopmati is an institution.
  • does anyone wanna become my pen pal to create history? B)
  • Tsuki said:

Thanks everyone. I will keep these points in mind :smile: I think I need to start working out properly. I do play the violin, go for quick walks and watch videos to unwind but the physical lethargy seems to be translating into anxiety.

Nice :smile:
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
  • If you have a bad result in CSE you will become mentally strong.This strong mentality will help you fight mood swings.Not only CSE this strong mentality will help all of us in life.
    CSE 2016 Indian Police Service ( IPS )
  • Tsuki said:

Hello everyone,

Ups and downs, mood swings etc are part of any long term commitments.... CSE is no exception as your own experience tells.

Apart from already suggested useful suggestions by others----

1. Have at least two days (today-- tomorrows) very specific plan... like these topics to cover or have to write 2 GS answers etc (Whenever you feel mood swinging... ask yourself if your plan for the day has been accomplished?)
    (and pls have realistic plans... by now you would be knowing yourself this much)

2. Apart from this.... have rough weekly and fortnightly plans------ Plans helps us in staying well directed

3. Do take breaks.... like an evening off.... or even full day off and do things you like doing... can be anything like going out for movie, eating outside, boozing, meeting your best friend or whatever...... but do come back quickly!! Plan will help here also.

4. Join a test series and write tests as per schedule.

5. Often talk to people who you think energizes you.

And.... even if you fail to meet your targets, do not get frustrated with yourself and go to sleep to get up after one week..... concentrate on next target.

All the best!!
    Ab ki baari.... UPSC hamari
  • @Ethical Chaliya : i shall keep these in mind.
    @fieryfiesta : :)
    @Trupence Grasshopper : well i shall know next year. for now just need to study and stop thinking nonsense.

(finally know how to tag people in posts)
  • mera to sahi me jeene ka mann hi khatam ho gaya hai

jawani khatam, no girls , only books and boring life ahead .. death is better then life at least there will be no UPSC

puri life gujar gayi naa dhang ki naukari mili naa chaukari :(
    “The road to power is paved with hypocrisy, and casualties. Never regret.”

jawani khatam, no girls , only books and boring life ahead .. death is better then life at least there will be no UPSC

Before you think of a pvt sector job and leaving UPSC for good, keep this in mind:

Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @frank_underwood - what is the alternative that you have in mind work wise??
  • Tsuki said:

@frank_underwood - what is the alternative that you have in mind work wise??

meri 9-5 ki LOW paying job ,sat+sun off, tension free life NO POLITICAL INTERFERENE

Before you think of a pvt sector job and leaving UPSC for good, keep this in mind:

respect Vs happiness . and WE ALL KNOW WHO GETS RESPECT IN OUR INDIAN SOCIETY (THE RICH -)

mujhe bhi power chahiye...haa mujhe shatta chahiye.

shatta ka istemal subjetcs ko rule karne ke liye hota hai.

mai bhi subjetcs se ruler bnana chahta hun.

subjects ko rule karne ke liye .

yesi dharna meri nahi hai but.. >:)
  • edited July 13
    aerobics helps... I do skipping 1k every alternative day ... also a 5km marathon every sunday...
  • Money power prestige-as long as these do not harm others, it is gud..but there is something beyond this-thats peace without these..it can be some one's goal too..so these r all relative terms :)

Vai regret karna achi baat he..1mark ke lye koi agar kisi exam clear nhi kar pata..to isme uska kya kasur..use to 1saal baad hi pata chalega..kyu ki india me to kam se kam 1saal lagjata he process comlete hote hote..avi wo 1mark se kyu piche reh gaya..ye vi kehna muskil he..kyu ki apka result to 1000candidates ke upar depnd karta he..so atlast its a competitiv exam..dar lagta he aur regret hota he to chod dena hi behetr he..dar ke jindgi gujara nhi jata vai..primary goal shd be happiness only..wo har chiz me mahjud hota he..bas dekhne ki jarurat he... :)

inspirational-quote-life-suicide(3).jpg
    530 x 663 - 85K
  • Tsuki said:

Hello everyone,

It happens.. with all of us.

But as said in "The Shawshank Redemption".. HOPE IS A GOOD THING; PERHAPS THE BEST OF THE THINGS AND NO GOOD THING EVER DIES..

Some lines..

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

( By William Ernest Henley)

जलद-पटल में छिपा, किन्तु रवि कब तक रह सकता है?
    युग की अवहेलना शूरमा कब तक सह सकता है?
    पाकर समय एक दिन आखिर उठी जवानी जाग,
    फूट पड़ी सबके समक्ष पौरुष की पहली आग।

(RAMDHARI SINGH 'DINKAR')
    "थककर बैठ गये क्या भाई! मंजिल दूर नहीं है। "
  • Tsuki said:

Hello everyone,

Invictus. :)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • Tsuki said:

Hello everyone,

Invictus. :)

Yes Sir.. Aapka to English Literature hai hi.

:)
    "थककर बैठ गये क्या भाई! मंजिल दूर नहीं है। "
  • 1ManArmy said:

mera to sahi me jeene ka mann hi khatam ho gaya hai

dont u people think there are tons of these literature of not failing midway in journey and try completing till death

but

what if the path itself is wrong ? and how can be u sure that u r not walking on wrong path at the first place .. there seems no literature for that ...

now lets take a natural example from real world .. if u happen u take a journey from point A to B . if u r on right path right things will come your way .. (hotels dhaba people ).. howevre if u took a wrong turn unfamiliar,unexpected ,and often disgrunted things will come your way (as if u took a path to outer region)... the SIgns of UPSC journey (and the entangled life journey ) says the later .. i just dont know if i got the fuel left to backtrack OR it sud be like "if u r going through Hell just keep going"
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog