Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Not clearing prelims. what to do now?

This was my first attempt and i am getting 90-93 from various keys and i don't think i would clear prelims (UR category). I am preparing from home without any coaching. Now i am now completely clueless as of what should i pick now and how should i proceed if i have to appear in 2018. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Bahut Khoob
·

Comments

• Prepare for mains as if you would have done if you were clearing prelims. It is easier said than done but it would be wise.
    ·
  • Its great to get these much in ur first attempt itself.Give ur full efforts for next year.As for now,complete ur optional within october.
    ·
  • saitama said:

This was my first attempt and i am getting 90-93 from various keys and i don't think i would clear prelims (UR category). I am preparing from home without any coaching. Now i am now completely clueless as of what should i pick now and how should i proceed if i have to appear in 2018. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Just chill..

Don't prepare for mains as of now, concentrate solely on Prelims 2018.
    Try to revise basics as many times as you can.
    Meanwhile apply for other exams to upgrade your skills and to have a real time experience.

Btw today is the last date for Nabard manager's exam, try that too.

·
  • Take a break for a month. Reflect on what you did wrong and how you can improve your preparation. Talk to some seniors or friends regarding their strategy. Make your own strategy for 2018. From September onwards start giving mocks as many as possible. Atleast 60. This should continue till Jan.(5 months). From Feb to March - Revision-1(of mock tests). From April to May -Revision- 2.I think this should suffice.
    ·
  • edited July 10
    Thnx everyone. I guess not giving mocks hit me badly which i have to look into. Regarding mains, should i just focus on optional and note-making from CA with issues understanding, or start attempting answer writing initiative from forum or insight. I am saying this because a good proportion of people who are optimistic for mains should be writing over there and it would align my prep along with them.
    Bahut Khoob
    ·
  • Do NOT take a single day break now, it's already more than 20 days since prelims.. prepare for mains as if you have to give mains from 28 oct 2017.. from 29 oct to 4 Nov give mains in your house only i.e 28th paper on 29th likewise,, get it checked by anyone who would write mains this year or any teacher.. It will give you feeling as if you have written mains this year too plus a confidence boost for next year mains.. If you prepare for next year prelims from now on it won't benefit you much.

watch this.
    ·
  • saitama said:

Thnx everyone. I guess not giving mocks hit me badly which i have to look into. Regarding mains, should i just focus on optional and note-making from CA with issues understanding, or start attempting answer writing initiative from forum or insight. I am saying this because a good proportion of people who are optimistic for mains should be writing over there and it would align my prep along with them.

I would suggest you to study for as if you are giving Mains 2017 so that after seeing the mains papers you get certain idea as to what you could have written, also as you were in study mode after prelims, it would enhance your knowledge further. After mains you should complete your Optional and from January start giving mocks for Prelims 2018.

All the best.
    ·
  • saitama said:

Group banao 2018 walo ka. Include me too. I am getting round 106(-2.66 is possible) so why not start preparing from now itself. 1 day saved, is 1 day earned
    ·
  • In any case, it's better to fail now for a fresher than fail in mains. You can plan things better. What's your optional?
    ·
  • same situation prepared for 4-5 months in isolation getting 90-93 in prelims ......not yet started again for 2018 ...bt stressed nd depressed no one to talk around
    ·
  • In any case, it's better to fail now for a fresher than fail in mains. You can plan things better. What's your optional?

anthro
    Bahut Khoob
    ·
  • BeTTor said:

same situation prepared for 4-5 months in isolation getting 90-93 in prelims ......not yet started again for 2018 ...bt stressed nd depressed no one to talk around

which testseries u had finished?
    ·
  • edited July 10
    saitama said:

Just my take... so use your discretion

1. Finish your optional---- twice revision-----along with notes making (If you know anybody who has scored good in your optional.... stay in touch with them)
    2. Are you eligible for IFoS------> If yes and your optional is not your grad subject----> Read forestry or any subject you wish to opt for IFoS--- just have basic idea of the subject so that it wont appear alien to you next year.
    3. Read and make notes of standard books like NCERTs of History and Geography, Modern Art book, Lakshmi Kant etc..... these notes shall be your saviour in both prelims and mains---- your mains GS-1 should be complete before March next year.
    4. Keep reading News Paper of your choice and google what you dont know----- no need to make exhaustive notes for mains..... just google and try to understand issues---- rest notes of Vision and Insight are good enough at least for mains.
    5. Do Join one Prelims test series---- its absolutely necessary---- not only for improving your knowledge base but also improving your exam temperament----- slowly you will develop your own tricks by knowing your strength and weaknesses------ anyway you are expecting 90+----> so you are just there!!
    6. Fully dedicate last two month before Prelims for multiple revisions and attempting tests.

All the best!!
    Ab ki baari.... UPSC hamari
    ·
  • BeTTor said:

same situation prepared for 4-5 months in isolation getting 90-93 in prelims ......not yet started again for 2018 ...bt stressed nd depressed no one to talk around

Bro a testament for you- the moment i decided to take a plunge in UPSC civils, one thing was clear in my mind- 'i will be perplexed sometimes, sad/happy other times but would never get disheartened. 'depression' is a strong word for us, the youth. Just pick urself up and think if a future civil servant would be like a present you. Spiderman movie ayi he, wo dekh ke aao instead of sitting idle at home and cursing self.
    Bahut Khoob
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog