MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

CSE 2017 & 2018 - Queries related to GS, CSAT, Optional,Test series and Misc.

edited November 2 in Social, Tips & Support
Hi friends
I hope everyone is engrossed in their mains preparations. Currently we have 2 chichat, 2 answer writing and one 1 hr challenge thread active on this group for mains preparation. We don't have any thread for clearing our academic doubts or sharing relevant material with others. So I request you to kindly use this thread for this purpose and please limit its use to genuine academic purposes
The Wound is the place where the Light enters you.

Comments

• @StefanBoltzmann bhai you have been sharing some good articles which get lost in chitchat thread. Please use this thread instead as it will help others as well

• edited July 9
    @DrKingSchuItz @DrKingSchultz kindly announce this thread for a day or 2 so people get to know about it
  • how do we approach such mind-boggling questions like - "Why is the theme of "flute playing Krishna" very popular in Indian art?" /// "Krishnadeva Raya, the King of Vijayanagar, was not only an accomplished scholar himself but was also a great patron of learning and literature. Discuss."

Is it possible to gather knowledge from standard books, on questions like these?
  • how do we approach such mind-boggling questions like - "Why is the theme of "flute playing Krishna" very popular in Indian art?" /// "Krishnadeva Raya, the King of Vijayanagar, was not only an accomplished scholar himself but was also a great patron of learning and literature. Discuss."

Is it possible to gather knowledge from standard books, on questions like these?

In both the cases there was an article in Hindu in the past year of the question appearing.
    I kmow its not possible to keep track of every such article so one needs to rely on some information combined with imaginative writing
  • @sudipto pls continue your queries regarding essay strategy here so that one hour thread remains clean. Thanks
  • sss_2503 said:

@StefanBoltzmann bhai you have been sharing some good articles which get lost in chitchat thread. Please use this thread instead as it will help others as well

Sure bhai .
    Death is nothing , but to live defeated and inglorious , is to Die daily .
  • Abse yahin par hi post kar diya karunga .
  • The Wound is the place where the Light enters you.
  • Thanks for creating this thread. I have recently quit my job (20th june) and started full time preparation, I was preparing with a target for 2018 and had written this prelims just for the sake of writing it. But thanks to luck factor and unconventional paper, I am getting 107 ( strictly sticking to shankar key) and hence want to prepare in a way to give myself the best chance if I get to write.
    My question is specifically regarding geography for GS -1 , I have read the ncerts in the past 1 or 2 years, have gone through Indian geography from Ratnanjali (Mrunal) videos and had attended a weekend coaching (although irregularly and also syllabus completion was never up to the mark). But the problem is I hardly have any structured idea of what I know and what I need to cover. Can you guys please suggest me a way of the best approach for my geography preparation, I cannot give it a lot of time (as have to manage optional) so maiwould prefer some approach that lets me standardize what I know and helps surfaces areas which I may have totally missed.
    Some sort of mains notes/ answers compilation. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
  • edited July 9
    For flute I suppose we can bring in some indians' love for music and music history then talk about how flute is one of sweetest melodies and how it best shows Krishna is icon of romance plus wisdom and image represents it and get little philo/psycho. And then talk about how this is a fusion of music and art no? I'd probably mention those mountain schools of art and pattachittra in Orissa (or whatever it was). And give all that dialogue about Indian art transcending physical constraints unlike European and carrying spirituality. Say things like that same image can be drawn optimistically and in mystical sense showing the idea of Krishna's giant avatar and that his flute is the music that runs world...

It is possible to gather from std books but little imagination is required to add points where clearly we have to stretch it to 250 words.
    . We are what we do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
  • Thanks for creating this thread. I have recently quit my job (20th june) and started full time preparation, I was preparing with a target for 2018 and had written this prelims just for the sake of writing it. But thanks to luck factor and unconventional paper, I am getting 107 ( strictly sticking to shankar key) and hence want to prepare in a way to give myself the best chance if I get to write.
    My question is specifically regarding geography for GS -1 , I have read the ncerts in the past 1 or 2 years, have gone through Indian geography from Ratnanjali (Mrunal) videos and had attended a weekend coaching (although irregularly and also syllabus completion was never up to the mark). But the problem is I hardly have any structured idea of what I know and what I need to cover. Can you guys please suggest me a way of the best approach for my geography preparation, I cannot give it a lot of time (as have to manage optional) so maiwould prefer some approach that lets me standardize what I know and helps surfaces areas which I may have totally missed.
    Some sort of mains notes/ answers compilation. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Check put PYQs and see no if you can answer them. That should tell you what's missing. Seems like you've covered everything you possibly could.
    . We are what we do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.

Check previous year questions and stick to ncerts as they are sufficient. For revision purpose go through nitin sangwans notes
  • For flute I suppose we can bring in some indians' love for music and music history then talk about how flute is one of sweetest melodies and how it best shows Krishna is icon of romance plus wisdom and image represents it and get little philo/psycho. And then talk about how this is a fusion of music and art no? I'd probably mention those mountain schools of art and pattachittra in Orissa (or whatever it was). And give all that dialogue about Indian art transcending physical constraints unlike European and carrying spirituality. Say things like that same image can be drawn optimistically and in mystical sense showing the idea of Krishna's giant avatar and that his flute is the music that runs world...

It is possible to gather from std books but little imagination is required to add points where clearly we have to stretch it to 250 words.

Good points.... any painting ques can be answered by covering following
    THEME
    in this ques it would be religious themes with love of god
    ESSENCE OF PAINTING
    Most imp feature is romanticism. Both for the viewer and painter. Also related to mythology of romanticism between lord krishna and gopies
    Another imp feature is love of music
    COLOR & MATERIAL USED
    Use of vibrant colorals. Use of gold to paint the flute is very peculiar
  • The Wound is the place where the Light enters you.
  • I m announcing this thread for a little while, so that forumites (especially newbies) facing problems related to mains studies can share them with other fellow forumites and get their doubts cleared...
    But remember this thread is for queries only, no material sharing , cost sharing etc. allowed and fr preparation of GS, u guys can use already announced threads fr GS papers...
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

You could attempt second question by referring old ncert..
  • Guys, is the mains365 same as vision's monthly current affairs booklets?

Mujhe lagta hai ki same hi hota hoga..

I mean, alag material laayenge kahaan se Vision waale? .. Jo unki Monthly CA booklets aati hain, unhi mein se, Mains point of view se jo bahut important articles hote honge, unhi ko compile karke " Mains 365 " bana diya jata hai..
  • edited July 14

Guys, is the mains365 same as vision's monthly current affairs booklets?

I mean, alag material laayenge kahaan se Vision waale? .. Jo unki Monthly CA booklets aati hain, unhi mein se, Mains point of view se jo bahut important articles hote honge, unhi ko compile karke " Mains 365 " bana diya jata hai..
    +1
  • India -China-Bhutan
    pdf
    pdf
    The Political Geography of the India-China Crisis at Doklam _ The Diplomat.pdf
    “Success is not a random act. It arises out of a predictable and powerful set of circumstances and opportunities"
  • Guys, is the mains365 same as vision's monthly current affairs booklets?

Alright. Thanks
  • If anyone is feeling sluggish in studying.... pls try any pomodoro app... it has been quiet beneficial to me
  • Insight test series is worth taking. With almost 32-35 tests, though a hectic schedule but regular writing there might bring required improvement in answer writing.
  • (Content removed - Don't put cost/money sharing comments)

Mod sir...how to change user name...pls tell thanks...
  • Which test series to join for anthropology in Delhi? Please suggest and review if already joined.
  • ozzy said:

Insight test series is worth taking. With almost 32-35 tests, though a hectic schedule but regular writing there might bring required improvement in answer writing.

+1
    The End Is the Beginning Is the End
  • AFSPA confers special powers on Armed forces, State Police & Central police forces deployed in disturbed areas such as arrest without warrant , firing to maintain public order etc. My doubt is whether the power conferred extends to whole of armed forces or Officers of certain rank only ??
  • in army lower rank it is (senior hawildar and jco's)and in officer it capt. rank and above
  • AFSPA confers special powers on Armed forces, State Police & Central police forces deployed in disturbed areas such as arrest without warrant , firing to maintain public order etc. My doubt is whether the power conferred extends to whole of armed forces or Officers of certain rank only ??

pretty much entire force.. extends to all -commissioned non commissioned and warrant officers..
    ordinary jawans are excluded though
    the horror of no match found
    motivation, where art thou?
  • ozzy said:

Insight test series is worth taking. With almost 32-35 tests, though a hectic schedule but regular writing there might bring required improvement in answer writing.

Its really difficult to write all the tests...you will be just writing tests then..you need time to study as well..
    Even if you are able to write 12-15 tests, then also its enough..try reading answers instead of all the tests if u aint following secure..
    I would also suggest you to join any offline test series where you will be evaluated...like vision/forum/gsscore..
    AIR-128. CSE-2016.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog