MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Are there any disadvantages of using ball pens in UPSC mains?

I see a lot of people using gel pens especially in toppers' mock papers. Was just curious if there are any inherent disadvantages of writing in ball pens in the exam.

Comments

• edited July 8
    If ur handwriting is decent no need to worry. Just buy a decent pen whose ink would be water resistant because u never know which examiner that tea cup on ur answer sheet
  • I've tried with ball pens twice by now. The ink flow isn't good it's either too slow ( as the ink freezes in winters ) or if I'm too fast the ball bleeds ink. But I also realised it depends on how a person holds the pen and how much pressure he puts. So if you clutch your pen tightly & put pressure on pen then do not use ball point pen at all. Try with various gel pens or some branded ink pens with waterproof ink.
  • Last time I wrote using Lamy safari fountain pen and Pilot water proof ink. I found with comfort zone here.
  • Last time I wrote using Lamy safari fountain pen and Pilot water proof ink. I found with comfort zone here.

is the lamy pen heavy ? I bought Sheaffer , it was too heavy for using long writing
  • edited July 8
    :) Koi sasta accha gel pen nahi Kya....
    Sasta,sundar tikau..
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • Usainbolt said:

:) Koi sasta accha gel pen nahi Kya....
    Sasta,sundar tikau..

Main toh racergel use karta hoon.
    10Rs ka hai
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
  • edited July 8
    I used racergel in essay paper.Couldn't complete in due time.Marks~114

I used ball point pen this time.Paper completed in due time.And even wrote more than the word limit.Marks~143
    Again used gel pen in optional. Left 60 marks in paper-1.scored 112.
    Used ball point pen in paper-2.Completed in due time.Got 143.

Facts/opinions/experiences are personal in nature.
    Pre:-4* Mains:-3 PT:-0
  • I used racergel in essay paper.Couldn't complete in due time.Marks~114

I used ball point pen this time.Paper completed in due time.And even wrote more than the word limit.Marks~143
    Again used gel pen in optional. Left 60 marks in paper-1.scored 112.
    Used ball point pen in paper-2.Completed in due time.Got 143.

Facts/opinions/experiences are personal in nature.

;)
  • only and only PILOT v7
  • only and only PILOT v7

Ye thik hai.sasta sundar tikau category Mai
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • Cello butterflow- best mains ball pen. But it will get over during a paper- so carry 2 for each paper. Sasta BHI hai, I think around 15-20 RS.

I generally like cello gripper due to its thin tip, but I can't find it in the market anywhere these days.

• In ball pen, I find gripper good atleast it dont give smudges and is vey smooth and crispy. Only issue is its sensitive tip.
    An avg gel pen is a smudge free tool. Its good, I use though rorito trimax or mitsubishi uniball roller. They are fast, beautiful, water proof* and comfortable. Rorito is cheap and lasts longer then gelpen, Uniball is better then rorito but its costly and use and throw, here it loose edge with rorito trimax.

*Once I dropped water on my notes and nothing happened to my ink, so I believe this.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • id anyone is game for a decent gel pen.. mitsubishi uni click. is the answer...

i personally like it.. moti grip hai... flow smooth hai.. just a hiccup that its cost is 50rs a piece (offcourse refills are cheaper)..

but try it dudes...

uni click gel..
    Mood bohot kharab hai kya kare
    Prelims -3 Mains-3* Interview - 0*
  • I used Pilot v5 last time out because everyone seems to be suggesting a Pilot or a Lamy (very expensive). Though v7 is popular, I found it's nib too broad and the words bigger for my taste. V5 doesn't have a gripper so 3 days into mains, the side of my middle finger at the first bend (phalangeal joint) started paining. It became unbearable by optionals and a prominent callus had formed which remained for a month.

The issue could be due to the way I hold it for so it might not be a problem for others. Thinking of using a ball or gel pen with gripper this time. Regarding the bias against ball pen, may be there is a feeling among people that the writing doesn't look good with it. Toppers can have a better say at this.

• nipon said:

Last time I wrote using Lamy safari fountain pen and Pilot water proof ink. I found with comfort zone here.

is the lamy pen heavy ? I bought Sheaffer , it was too heavy for using long writing
    Schaffer black is water resistant (but not blue) but I found it to be feathering on many types of paper. So you can go with it if you're fine with it. Lamy safari is very light. It would be an investment. Go for it. I even ordered Noodlers water proof black ink for it. :)
  • id anyone is game for a decent gel pen.. mitsubishi uni click. is the answer...

i personally like it.. moti grip hai... flow smooth hai.. just a hiccup that its cost is 50rs a piece (offcourse refills are cheaper)..

but try it dudes...

uni click gel..

I used it earlier for casual writing but ever since I have started using it with the objective of writing mains with it, I am finding it hard to do so especially with pain in my fingers post only a few mins of writing. It might have something to do with me writing after a long time so let's see how it goes for the next few days!
  • Doesn't anyone use the Reynolds 045 series pens ? The white ones with a blue / red / black cap depending on the ink colour ?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog