MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 30th OCT(Evening) 5:15 PM - 7:15 PM & 15th Nov. (Morning) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM ;
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

How to Minimize Time Consumption in Current Affairs Preparation? [The Hindu]

Dear All,

I am a 26 year old working professional & 2018 will be my first attempt (Late Starter). Since Last month when I have started my preparation for CSE 2018, I found immense difficulty to cope up with The Hindu. As a Working Professional having 6 working Days (Only Sunday off), I can devote maximum 6 hours per day. I want to utilize this time as much as possible (Cost to Benefit Ratio) but Today when I analysed my Last one month preparation, I found that Most of my time is consumed in "The Hindu" (Reading & Note Making). I want to find better alternative of The Hindu without adversely effecting my preparation or selection probability as people say you can not clear CSE with out reading & Note making from The Hindu.

I have shorted out some option please help me to find out Best One:

1. The Hindu [Reading & Note Making] = = No other Option
2. The Hindu [Reading] + Insights or IASBABA or Vision IAS Monthly Suppliment
3. Totally Rely on Insights Current Affairs (Daily + Monthly) + Vision PT 365
4. Totally Rely on Iasbaba Current Affairs (Daily + Monthly) + Vision PT 365
5. Vision Monthly Magazine + Vision PT365

Please Guide me what to do? Which one I should select to optimize my preparation.

PS: I have a time constraint of 6 Hour Per day for Study. Since I am a novice I have to cover GS as well as optional which is an engineering subject.

Comments

• Vision monthly magazines alone should suffice. They compile info from different sources which includes the Hindu as well. If you have done all monthly, only revise them. No need for PT365 then (though 365 offers subject wise compilation eg, everything related to judiciary at one place). Doing this, you can completely skip the newspaper.

If you are reading The Hindu, read the Economics, World, Editorial (don't read all. Over time you will realise not all are important) and front page only.

Preparing with a job is not easy. Kudos to you for preparing. It might take more time than other for you but don't lose hope. Keep working.
  • Reading one newspaper is inevitable,read it in 45 mins.No need to make notes.Couple this with any of the monthly magazine which you feel comfortable.

If you dont read newspaper you'll face difficulties reading the monthly magazines.
  • edited July 3
    I agree with this fact that reading newspaper is inevitable but In my current condition I have to do some compromise. Since My optional is Electrical Engineering, I have to devote enough time for that also. If I follow Insight/Iasbaba daily CAs & Vision IAS monthly magzine and Vision PT365 then wouldn't it be enough to replace The Hindu? Or I may face Difficulty in Mains 2018? I have listen Interview of some toppers some told There is no alternative of Newspaper, Some told Insight & Vision CAs can sail you through..I am highly confused now..Please help me seniors & guide me..
  • edited July 3

I agree with this fact that reading newspaper is inevitable but In my current condition I have to do some compromise. Since My optional is Electrical Engineering, I have to devote enough time for that also. If I follow Insight/Iasbaba daily CAs & Vision IAS monthly magzine and Vision PT365 then wouldn't it be enough to replace The Hindu? Or I may face Difficulty in Mains 2018? I have listen Interview of some toppers some told There is no alternative of Newspaper, Some told Insight & Vision CAs can sail you through..I am highly confused now..Please help me seniors & guide me..

pick only 1, but have faith in your decision... ideally, avoid insights.. They r very very exhaustive. sometimes copy paste work also... Pick up Vision booklets. They are trimmed and suit well for the word limit bound mains exam...

Dont skip reading Hindu(no need of making notes, vision would suffice), especially the editorials.. it will give u enough detailed idea about the happenings..

Complete ur optional... ee is vast...
  • edited July 3

Dear All,

I am a 26 year old working professional & 2018 will be my first attempt (Late Starter). Since Last month when I have started my preparation for CSE 2018, I found immense difficulty to cope up with The Hindu. As a Working Professional having 6 working Days (Only Sunday off), I can devote maximum 6 hours per day. I want to utilize this time as much as possible (Cost to Benefit Ratio) but Today when I analysed my Last one month preparation, I found that Most of my time is consumed in "The Hindu" (Reading & Note Making). I want to find better alternative of The Hindu without adversely effecting my preparation or selection probability as people say you can not clear CSE with out reading & Note making from The Hindu.

I have shorted out some option please help me to find out Best One:

1. The Hindu [Reading & Note Making] = = No other Option
    2. The Hindu [Reading] + Insights or IASBABA or Vision IAS Monthly Suppliment
    3. Totally Rely on Insights Current Affairs (Daily + Monthly) + Vision PT 365
    4. Totally Rely on Iasbaba Current Affairs (Daily + Monthly) + Vision PT 365
    5. Vision Monthly Magazine + Vision PT365

Please Guide me what to do? Which one I should select to optimize my preparation.

PS: I have a time constraint of 6 Hour Per day for Study. Since I am a novice I have to cover GS as well as optional which is an engineering subject.

First option seems most logical.

I executed that second option in 2016, cleared prelims, failed in mains.note making is extremely important for mains IMO.

I can tell you options 3, 4 and 5 are same, in the sense magazines cover nothing special to give u edge over others.

Upsc doesn't stick to a particular trend/nature of questions. People who prepared news papers religiously are in good position this time, those who crammed different magazines neglecting news papers are bound to suffer, most of them scoring between 100_110.

• i am not a senior but can advice you what i am doing as i am also a working professional and also 6 day per week and hardly devote time to study more than 6 hours per day but in my previous attempt i totally avoided the hindu reading and could not clear because my sources were many including ias baba,insights ca,forum ias mrna,etc.but this time i relied only on hindu reading and unacademy daily hindu summary and editorial analysis,these videos takes only 25-30 minutes,you can save this time also by listening unacademy videos while having snacks or dinner.
    (i am a hindi medium student but no one can ignore the importance of the hindu editorials )
  • and please please please read vision monthly magazine at the end of the month twice or thrice,don't skip or procrastinate revising.
  • So here all people are suggesting Reading of THE HINDU. So should I go ahead like that:

1. The Hindu Reading (editorial only)
    2. Insight Daily CAs for covering other than editorial
    3. Insights News Paper discussion
    4. Vision IAS monthly Current affairs

If I calculate time than 1Hr for Editorial, 45 Mins for Insight CAs & 15-20 daily analysis Video. Is it okay without daily note making?

Would it be a suggested/better approach?
  • So here all people are suggesting Reading of THE HINDU. So should I go ahead like that:

If I calculate time than 1Hr for Editorial, 45 Mins for Insight CAs & 15-20 daily analysis Video. Is it okay without daily note making?

Pick 1 and 4.

i 'd have suggested insights if u were free ... but seeing the time connstrait, pick up the ones that help remain in sync with the race... But do not miss out on Hindu editorials.

There's a lot to cover apart from CAs... so choose wisely. dont get emotional while deciding.
  • edited July 3

So here all people are suggesting Reading of THE HINDU. So should I go ahead like that:

Pick 1 and 4.

i 'd have suggested insights if u were free ... but seeing the time connstrait, pick up the ones that help remain in sync with the race... But do not miss out on Hindu editorials.

There's a lot to cover apart from CAs... so choose wisely. dont get emotional while deciding.
    Thank you for your suggestion I will try to keep it but only editorial with out note making + vision ias monthly supliment can sail me through?

Or should I watch insight news analysis also.. by which i can also know abt other imp article on a particular day. Will it help or just not a proper utilisation of time?

• edited July 3

So here all people are suggesting Reading of THE HINDU. So should I go ahead like that:

Pick 1 and 4.

Thank you for your suggestion I will try to keep it but only editorial with out note making + vision ias monthly supliment can sail me through?

Or should I watch insight news analysis also.. by which i can also know abt other imp article on a particular day. Will it help or just not a proper utilisation of time?

yes... but make sure that u revise those notes numerous times.. But please make file notes of editorials (clippings/handwritten.. whatever suits u), underline them, revise them...

Maintain few sources... u will know the worth of this line when exam date approaches....

Watch insight news analysis? I have no idea on that... I was following their daily current updates but found it toooo exhaustive... Vision does the same in few words.

imo, proper utilization of time would be...

1. cover optional + static gs like bipan, lakshmikanth ncert etc.
    2. everyday hindu editorial
    3. monthly revision of the stuff in point 2 from vision montly compilations.

Vision will give u points to write in Mains exam, Hindu will give u the idea and the structure. Do both.

Pick 1 and 4.

yes... but make sure that u revise those notes numerous times.. But please make file notes of editorials (clippings/handwritten.. whatever suits u), underline them, revise them...

Maintain few sources... u will know the worth of this line when exam date approaches....

Watch insight news analysis? I have no idea on that... I was following their daily current updates but found it toooo exhaustive... Vision does the same in few words.

Vision will give u points to write in Mains exam, Hindu will give u the idea and the structure. Do both.
    agar yeh na karo to kitan nuksaan hoga

Pick 1 and 4.

bhai... hindu is first hand source, considering that pib/govt source are notbeing referred by a given aspirant...

Vision culls info from them + from other sources.. they give stuffs in gist, so most of the time, we dont know about the background of a given topic..

Editorials give a 360 degree analysis of a given topic in one writing or numerous writings...

Eg... River linking, intra or inter state, is given in gist format in Vision... Editorials on it has a wide coverage, policy failures, env concerns, future prospect n challeges etc...

In due course of time, one wuld come to know how much to cover... Some days, editorials can be neglected.

Hindu + One CA compilation is a must...

Pick 1 and 4.

bhai... hindu is first hand source, considering that pib/govt source are notbeing referred by a given aspirant...

Vision culls info from them + from other sources.. they give stuffs in gist, so most of the time, we dont know about the background of a given topic..

Editorials give a 360 degree analysis of a given topic in one writing or numerous writings...

Eg... River linking, intra or inter state, is given in gist format in Vision... Editorials on it has a wide coverage, policy failures, env concerns, future prospect n challeges etc...

In due course of time, one wuld come to know how much to cover... Some days, editorials can be neglected.

ok pib + 1 ca c?

Pick 1 and 4.

ok pib + 1 ca c?
    perfect hai jee... mirpur prince. :mrgreen:

Pick 1 and 4.

ok pib + 1 ca c?
    perfect hai jee... mirpur prince. :mrgreen:
    :mrgreen: thaks hydrabadi biryaani :lol:
  • @Neyawn Please sir help me! What exactly should I do? I have seen you helping novice/exp. people..please help me..
  • Vision IAS study material is very helpful.
  • vom said:

and please please please read vision monthly magazine at the end of the month twice or thrice,don't skip or procrastinate revising.

Thanks
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
  • How are the 'must read news articles' by forumias?
    You raise me up to more than I can be...
  • @DrKingSchultz Please Help me brother!!
  • @DrKingSchultz Please Help me brother!!

Man, you have already been helped by forum users. How much more do you need?
    • Read & Highlight in Hindu Editorials + Just go thru insights daily CA (for Prelims)= Maximum 45 minutes + 20 minutes
    • Maximum 4 to 5 mains relevant topics comes in a week.
    • Once in a week or twice as you find easier- Make notes for the topics using 3-4 editorials you got that week. (What, Why, Pros, Cons, Misc, write few probable Questions)
    • Monthly read, highlight & keep/ save Vision notes & treat those as your primary source for revision for Prelims: the exam
    ples of Prelims related stuffs will get into your head by reading it twice & will make your mains answer worthy.

I do this every day & week. This gives me enormous confidence to solve any answer related to mains. Reading Editorial daily helps you develop a lucid language, understand many issues from all perspective & remember many quotes & phrases which definitely helps you in mains & Interview.

I am a big fan of Unacademy, but will never suggest Unacademy videos for editorial as they will never let you rise above the thinking that you have the capability to read between the lines & develop your 'own' perspective out of multiple editorials.

REVISE YOUR MAINS NOTES!

This is my personal view.
  • edited July 3
    P.S.- Follow the above only if you have went thru previous 4 yrs Mains Questions & little bit understood what to read in a newspaper.

For example: I analyzed that we don't need to cover International affairs from a newspaper, its better to cover those from Vision as questions are mainly current based & are of very basic in nature.
  • If you have shortage of time then I would suggest you to follow insights daily secure initiative. Don't try to answer all the questions but make sure that you go through all the links given by them and read them. These questions will help you to cover the current affairs 360 degree as they frame by questions from various sources which will ensure that you will go through all the important stuff. If you have time then maintain the notes of these questions/topics in offline/online format. This will be sufficient for mains and to some extent for prelims. In addition to this you should refer to vision monthly current affairs and make sure to revise it. These two things will ensure that you will not be missing out anything.
  • guys those who r solving secure and making notes out of newspaper please share ur strategy ? m not able to complete all this.. it will take 3-4 hours if i do alll this and i do not think investing this much time in CA will be valuable as per mood swings of upsc GUYS PLS HELP
  • @DrKingSchuItz @gt2015 @psychopath @Neyawn @doc @andy133 guys please give ur valuable suggestion
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog