Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Help needed : Missed Cut off by few marks : Scope for improvement

hello all,

i had worked very hard for mains last year , gave it my best, and i will not say there was no lacuna in my preparation, but i have seen a few people around me getting under top 100, while i think i will not even make it to the reserve list.

i am sharing my marksheet

I need help with two things
1) I am unable to score in Philosophy paper 1. I have zero idea about contemporary . can someone guide where to do contemporary from? i have both mitra and patanjali notes.. patanjali notes make some sense, but i am unable to fully understand it.
2) for essay what can be done? This time people have scored 150+. In comparison to that my marks are very low.
3) do i have any chance of making it to reserve list? i know that for reserve list you need only 1-2 marks less than the cut off , and final selection cut off is 988 while I am getting only 979. I am from General.

I had done everything i could for Mains. Solved all past year questions in philosophy ( paper 2) , paper 1 i had only done indian philosophy.

I need to improve in Essay .. last time i had written hardly one essay.

I dont know what went wrong in the interview board.. only 125 marks for what reason they awarded marks..

i dont think i have the energy to write the paper anymore with same enthusiasm that i had last year.
marks.PNG
619 x 350 - 59K
marks.PNG 59.1K
·

Comments

• @anjus please check ur inbox
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
    ·
  • edited July 1
    Hi there,
    I understand the despondency that you are feeling because of being so close yet so far, but take a look at your marks again. See you are ahead of around probably thirteen thousand other aspirants who would have appeared for the mains. You are right there. Get ul and you look at yourself and get the confidence from your last performance and set once again to be there in the list this time.

Coming to increasing your marks in essay, as my optional is different from yours. I wrote one and a half essay( which was not good enough as per my own abilities) and scored almost same as you. I suggest you work on your structure and flow of the content. While practicing essays ensure that the passages are interconnected with proper use of words. Practicing would be key, the more you practice the better you get. Above all pick yourself up and set on the journey to see yourself in the final list this time.
    "Try again, try better" hopefully you will succeed

All the best
    ·
  • Hi anjus,
    Firstly congratulations on scoring well in the mains.Your written score is great.With some expert guidance you can easily improve upon essay marks.You may join Vikas Ranjan/GS Score/Shabbir etc.I have followed your posts related to mains & interview last year.You have got the real fighting spirit in you. Dont accept this small defeat when you can achieve greater victories.Just by improving upon 2 areas [Interview,Essay] you shall achieve a top-50 rank for sure.

Btw,I need your help.Hope you won't mind.

I gave my second mains[ first with preparation] in 2016 & couldn't score well.I kindly request you to help me in following areas

1). Gs Paper 2 [Polity-Gov] & 2).GS.Paper 4 [Ethics]

Please suggest in detail about the preparation strategy/approach for these two papers. For GS2 especially, I am confused about what to refer for static & dynamic parts.

Thanks in advance & all the best for the coming mains !

thank you, but i am in an emotional turmoil right now.. i dont think i am in a position to help anyone right now. i somehow managed to give pre safely, or else pre mein bhi i would have failed this time.

my marks in gs have been 460+ , this was got after a lot of hard work ,i had fallen sick and then also i did not miss a single test or something. All this was totally disregarded by Mr. Chhattar Singh when he gave me 125..

I have no enthusiasm left to study anymore. Now i am like everyone else, just writing the exam annually.. without any plan of strategy..
    ·
  • First of all congrats mam, that you made to the interview and just near to the cutoff.

I know the words that you read just feel like the useless talks and the flowery, but you already know what u lack at, that is the most important aspect of UPSC preparation.

Phil. paper 1, needs more diverse answers with connecting nodes at required point. As you know it Essay is all about practice and interview, the whimsical part is out of my reach to comment on.

But one thing I am sure of , you are in the chakravyh that make or break someone on this deserted path.
    Each day I woke up thinking that I will get the same energy back, I fail each night to achieve the target of the day. I may not be right person to comment here as the questions you raised are not addressed my me completely.

But mam, believe me you are not the only one. There is a poem by John Greenleaf Whittier
    And you never can tell just how close you are,

...And you never can tell just how close you are,

It may be near when it seems so far;

So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit—

It's when things seem worst that you must not Quit..........

Sorry if I have bored you.
    ·
  • edited July 1
    anjus said:

Hi anjus,
    Firstly congratulations on scoring well in the mains.Your written score is great.With some expert guidance you can easily improve upon essay marks.You may join Vikas Ranjan/GS Score/Shabbir etc.I have followed your posts related to mains & interview last year.You have got the real fighting spirit in you. Dont accept this small defeat when you can achieve greater victories.Just by improving upon 2 areas [Interview,Essay] you shall achieve a top-50 rank for sure.

Btw,I need your help.Hope you won't mind.

I gave my second mains[ first with preparation] in 2016 & couldn't score well.I kindly request you to help me in following areas

1). Gs Paper 2 [Polity-Gov] & 2).GS.Paper 4 [Ethics]

Please suggest in detail about the preparation strategy/approach for these two papers. For GS2 especially, I am confused about what to refer for static & dynamic parts.

Thanks in advance & all the best for the coming mains !

thank you, but i am in an emotional turmoil right now.. i dont think i am in a position to help anyone right now. i somehow managed to give pre safely, or else pre mein bhi i would have failed this time.

my marks in gs have been 460+ , this was got after a lot of hard work ,i had fallen sick and then also i did not miss a single test or something. All this was totally disregarded by Mr. Chhattar Singh when he gave me 125..

I have no enthusiasm left to study anymore. Now i am like everyone else, just writing the exam annually.. without any plan of strategy..

Okay ! You could have replied to it in the message box itself.

Anyways,ATB !
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

i had worked very hard for mains last year , gave it my best, and i will not say there was no lacuna in my preparation, but i have seen a few people around me getting under top 100, while i think i will not even make it to the reserve list.

1) I am unable to score in Philosophy paper 1. I have zero idea about contemporary . can someone guide where to do contemporary from? i have both mitra and patanjali notes.. patanjali notes make some sense, but i am unable to fully understand it.
    2) for essay what can be done? This time people have scored 150+. In comparison to that my marks are very low.
    3) do i have any chance of making it to reserve list? i know that for reserve list you need only 1-2 marks less than the cut off , and final selection cut off is 988 while I am getting only 979. I am from General.

I had done everything i could for Mains. Solved all past year questions in philosophy ( paper 2) , paper 1 i had only done indian philosophy.

I dont know what went wrong in the interview board.. only 125 marks for what reason they awarded marks..

i dont think i have the energy to write the paper anymore with same enthusiasm that i had last year.

Hello Mam ,

First of all Congrats on the result that you have got 460 in GS. And sorry for your Bad Luck !!
    You should be happy your GS Score in one of best and Philosophy Marks of paper 2 are Highest.

I am not in a position of suggesting of something but all I Can Say you are Just There Wait for Right time and keep work you will make it!

About Essay and interview .. there is subjectivity and the good thing about subjectivity is that it's not always against you !! interview you can work on !!

Your Marks Itself Speak of your hard work. Keep it Up and you will be there ..

·
  • Plz provide guidance for GS, like try writing an essay on guiding aspirants about GS perparation :grimace: That's some seriously good marks. I also fell ill in the oct-nov period last year, but I gave up. Kudos to you.
    तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

Sent one message in inbox. Do check it...and let me know the replies...if you have interview transcript with your answers, I can do some good...

Without doubt, 125 in interview, means you have repeatedly done big mistakes continuously on D day. And UPSC hate those attributes which unknowingly you might have displayed on the D day..And getting 175/180 + is very easy in interview than getting same marks in written. ..rest once I get your replies
    ·
  • edited July 1
    anjus said:

hello all,

I have been observing your posts since quite some time maam. And I think you'll easily take care of your essay marks since you are a hard worker and clearly know how to write well.

Now as regards Philo paper 1, you yourself have identified and mentioned your folly. Leaving contemporary Western in totality is like digging a hole for yourself. I would suggest you to watch YouTube videos of each thinker since coaching centers themselves are very poor with tackling that section. After that make notes using coaching notes. Trust me it is not that hard.

Now coming to interview, this is where I think you have immense scope to change. The interview is actually not as subjective as people out here make it out to be. Now what I'm going to say next may sound harsh but im going to be blunt. I always thought that you were very knowledgeable but unaccomodative and stubborn when it came to discussions on forum. Assertiveness is a good trait but at the same time giving space to others opinions is very important and I think the board picked up on your arrogance. So try and work on that a little. I'm really sorry for laying it on the table like this.

However I genuinely believe that with a few tweaks you can easily get a top 50 rank.. So chin up, you're a soldier and the battle is not over. :)
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

Which essays u wrote ?? Because I also got exactly similar no. In essay (124) which als
    anjus said:

hello all,

Which essays u wrote ?? Because I also got exactly similar no. In essay (124) which also is the culprit for me not getting recommended... I think choosing the right topic is very vital..
    P.S. I wrote "need greed breed" wala and " cyber space wala"...
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

Which essays u wrote ?? Because I also got exactly similar no. In essay (124) which als
    anjus said:

hello all,

Which essays u wrote ?? Because I also got exactly similar no. In essay (124) which also is the culprit for me not getting recommended... I think choosing the right topic is very vital..
    P.S. I wrote "need greed breed" wala and " cyber space wala"...
    waise I also wrote need greed breed wala essay & digital economy. Got 121. Not recommended.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

I have been observing your posts since quite some time maam. And I think you'll easily take care of your essay marks since you are a hard worker and clearly know how to write well.

Now as regards Philo paper 1, you yourself have identified and mentioned your folly. Leaving contemporary Western in totality is like digging a hole for yourself. I would suggest you to watch YouTube videos of each thinker since coaching centers themselves are very poor with tackling that section. After that make notes using coaching notes. Trust me it is not that hard.

Now coming to interview, this is where I think you have immense scope to change. The interview is actually not as subjective as people out here make it out to be. Now what I'm going to say next may sound harsh but im going to be blunt. I always thought that you were very knowledgeable but unaccomodative and stubborn when it came to discussions on forum. Assertiveness is a good trait but at the same time giving space to others opinions is very important and I think the board picked up on your arrogance. So try and work on that a little. I'm really sorry for laying it on the table like this.

However I genuinely believe that with a few tweaks you can easily get a top 50 rank.. So chin up, you're a soldier and the battle is not over. :)
    No gentleperson, what one has achieved will take years to change....but certain traits are there which if presented , upsc will provide sound score in interview.....
    ·
  • The same has happened to me... though I belong to category but even I left no stone unturned for interview preparation...

I had gone through all the needed resources but still got low marks in final..

I understand the mental agony... I wept quite a few times and my weight had also dropped drastically...

What can be said here... let the life play its innings and let us strike another blow to it.
    Screenshot_20170701-191748.png
    720 x 1280 - 96K
    "थककर बैठ गये क्या भाई! मंजिल दूर नहीं है। "
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

Sahi kaha mitra...atleast mere case me unhe shayad main arrogant laga hun...

Mujhe bhi yahi laga ki coaching aur other people try to make it like no other thing...

Main thoda doosron se influence ho gaya aur ye ho gaya...
    ·
  • @anjus sis...Don't lose your hope...Jus work hard for dis year...You will make into the list this year...Concentrate on interview and optional paper 1.. get guidance from experts... I am.not the one to suggest. ..
    ·
  • You shouldn't look for guidance on this forum, you've already scored more than 99.9 % of the janta on this forum, you should guide us :D
    Prelims 2017 Cut off: 108-111
    ·
  • Analysis from my side..
    Interview marks is not accidental you probably have done something very wrong find out that and rectify that i also got similar marks one year and i know what mistake i did.

If you need to improve find mistake and improve upon it.. B)
    ·
  • anjus said:

hello all,

Pls share ur gs strategy one of highest marks u have
    ·
  • I scored in 180s from cs board, but I am not in the list due to low marks mains, I feel u deserve to be there with this marks. If u have scored 180 in interview u would have been giving interviews on how to prepare... Anyway prepare well, I can guide u this time for interview, u pl guide me for mains
    ·
  • Hello mate!

I was in a similar situation to you this year. I scored a total of 980. Last year too, I missed the final cutoff by a small margin. Moreover, this time, I scored low in the subjects, in which I was best prepared (as they say, humein to apno ne loota, auron mein kahan dum tha, hamari kashti vaha doobi jaha paani kam tha :P)
    But, I have realized that for every one candidate who is lucky enough to get through, there are tens others, who miss the mark due to some reason or the other. So just look at yourself as part of a probability distribution, with you being at the wrong side of the curve (I too see it the same way). As regards the next attempt, I believe, a lot of things have already been covered, and to eliminate the factor of luck this time, leave no stones unturned.

·
  • Just now, some one brought to my notice that Saxena board gave 104/107 marks to two persons who GS score was 440+ .....my own friend got 121 in saxena board in 2015, this time in saxena board he got 179 marks (400 approx rank).....he did change his way of approach in the questions in interview....

2014 vinay metal gave 114. To my friend....

Whole story is that if candidate is doing very big blunder they make sure NO one can help to make his/her roll no in list....but if small 2/3 mistakes are there, they do ignore......

·
  • Just now, some one brought to my notice that Saxena board gave 104/107 marks to two persons who GS score was 440+ .....my own friend got 121 in saxena board in 2015, this time in saxena board he got 179 marks (400 approx rank).....he did change his way of approach in the questions in interview....

Whole story is that if candidate is doing very big blunder they make sure NO one can help to make his/her roll no in list....but if small 2/3 mistakes are there, they do ignore......

Sahi kah rahe ho dost... Vinay mittal ne 124 diye mujhe...

Apni blunders ka andaza h mujhe
    ·

If you could share please?
    ·

Yaar in budhe logo k samne C......ya....ban k 30 mins nikal do to marks aate h...James Bond type kuch bhi unknowingly bola jaye ya harkat ho to sale ulu k pathe itne kaam marks dete h ki whole life yaad rahta h...195 wale bande bhi janta hu.....itne BADMAS....but 30 mins BAHRUPIYA (face mask) LGA k baithe rhe.....and Ab sale ADC bne baithe h.....
    ·

Yaar in budhe logo k samne C......ya....ban k 30 mins nikal do to marks aate h...James Bond type kuch bhi unknowingly bola jaye ya harkat ho to sale ulu k pathe itne kaam marks dete h ki whole life yaad rahta h...195 wale bande bhi janta hu.....itne BADMAS....but 30 mins BAHRUPIYA (face mask) LGA k baithe rhe.....and Ab sale ADC bne baithe h.....
    that is the sad part of this exam.. quality unrewarded.. mediocracy is rewarded
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog