MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

UPSC CSE 2018 WITH SOCIOLOGY AS OPTIONAL

hi guys, anybody who is preparing for UPSC 2018 with sociology and with self study? we can share our doubts and strategies which will benifit us all.

Comments

• edited June 26
    i hav geography optional... but i m ready 2 discuss sociology optional with u.... :) u r beautiful
  • Yes, i am having sociology optional and 2018 will be my first attempt..
  • I am thinking of changing my optional. I am inclined towards Socio now. Would you please help me with that ? :confused:
  • Mishtu said:

I am thinking of changing my optional. I am inclined towards Socio now. Would you please help me with that ? :confused:

its vast and it takes time.decision is yours.but incase you are guided by someone that its syllabus is short is a lie.it requires more than 3 times effort than tht of pub ad.in addition to that unless you have knowledge of other subjects you wont be able to have a good understanding of this subject.

for exmple,in order to understand "emergence of sociology " you need to know a bit of world history.for sociological methods you need to have some knowledge of statistics.similarly you need to kknow basics of economics,polity,some anthropology,modern indian history for various topics of sociology.this is what makes the subject chllenging as all the topics are interrelated.
  • I am planning to change my optional from history to sociology for CSE 2018....Is it wise decision??
  • mein bhi
  • under the garb of anonymity some comments made by people forced the person to change her profile pic.disgusting !
  • anurag11 said:

Mishtu said:

I am thinking of changing my optional. I am inclined towards Socio now. Would you please help me with that ? :confused:

its vast and it takes time.decision is yours.but incase you are guided by someone that its syllabus is short is a lie.it requires more than 3 times effort than tht of pub ad.in addition to that unless you have knowledge of other subjects you wont be able to have a good understanding of this subject.

for exmple,in order to understand "emergence of sociology " you need to know a bit of world history.for sociological methods you need to have some knowledge of statistics.similarly you need to kknow basics of economics,polity,some anthropology,modern indian history for various topics of sociology.this is what makes the subject chllenging as all the topics are interrelated.
    True that , all my funds always told me tumhara toh syllabus choṭa he , I was like are u kidding me , never in my 4 years I have felt that and if its that small why very few take it , anyways yeah it takes a lot of time and after attending Mohapatra sirs classes I felt there is lot more to sociology than I had ever thought of
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • under the garb of anonymity some comments made by people forced the person to change her profile pic.disgusting !

Internet gives us anonymity and we tend to take advantage of it by showing our true face , as someone said give a man power and than see whertehr he or she is corrupt or not(something like that ) , I say make someone anonymous and see his/her true self
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• I wonder why people want to switch to socio. It has got below avg marks over the past 2 yrs. Marking is also very random. In P1, despite writing good answers you might get stuck in 90s and in P2 despite writing pathetic answers and no brainers one can score 130-140.
    In subjects like anthro, pol sc where avg score is 275+, socio guys are stuck at 240-250 mark.
    Syllabus is also quite random. Cramming mahapatra/upendra is not working out anymore. There is still no std booklist as such, one has gotta study and revise as much he can.
  • I wonder why people want to switch to socio. It has got below avg marks over the past 2 yrs. Marking is also very random. In P1, despite writing good answers you might get stuck in 90s and in P2 despite writing pathetic answers and no brainers one can score 130-140.
    In subjects like anthro, pol sc where avg score is 275+, socio guys are stuck at 240-250 mark.
    Syllabus is also quite random. Cramming mahapatra/upendra is not working out anymore. There is still no std booklist as such, one has gotta study and revise as much he can.

indeed true and i second that
  • Uhtred said:

I am planning to change my optional from history to sociology for CSE 2018....Is it wise decision??

not at all.remeber that the guy who is scoring 300 in socio has worked 3 times for socio than the guy who is scoring 300 in pub ad.decision is yours.

unless you know almost the whole of modern indian history you wont be understanding,land reform,socioreligious movemnt,lefftwing extremism etc etc.similarly you need to know a lot more subjects to understad various tpics of other subjects completely to undeerstand sociology.

apart from that vivekannda foundation and other organizations of right wing are totally against what this subject teaches.you can see a youtube video of rajeev malhotra.so so long as modi govt is there you dont get many questions from modern indian history,cngress movement nor you do get good score in sociology.you can see world history is totally negelced in gs 1 bcoz wworld history means european history.

second reason.............there are NO STANDARD BOOKS NOR COMPELETE NOTES FOR SOCIOLOGY.IF YOU GET ANY NOTES WHICH SAYS THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO READ THEN YOU CAN TAKE SOCIO.BUT THERE IS NOT A SINGLE BOOK WHICH COVERS THE SYALLBUS
  • there is no single book fat or thin that covers more than 15% of syllabus,decision is yours.if i had not taken socio as an option i wud hv been in service by now.
  • anurag11 said:

Uhtred said:

I am planning to change my optional from history to sociology for CSE 2018....Is it wise decision??

not at all.remeber that the guy who is scoring 300 in socio has worked 3 times for socio than the guy who is scoring 300 in pub ad.decision is yours.

unless you know almost the whole of modern indian history you wont be understanding,land reform,socioreligious movemnt,lefftwing extremism etc etc.similarly you need to know a lot more subjects to understad various tpics of other subjects completely to undeerstand sociology.

apart from that vivekannda foundation and other organizations of right wing are totally against what this subject teaches.you can see a youtube video of rajeev malhotra.so so long as modi govt is there you dont get many questions from modern indian history,cngress movement nor you do get good score in sociology.you can see world history is totally negelced in gs 1 bcoz wworld history means european history.

second reason.............there are NO STANDARD BOOKS NOR COMPELETE NOTES FOR SOCIOLOGY.IF YOU GET ANY NOTES WHICH SAYS THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO READ THEN YOU CAN TAKE SOCIO.BUT THERE IS NOT A SINGLE BOOK WHICH COVERS THE SYALLBUS
    Thanks....What about Pol science????

• Uhtred said:

anurag11 said:

Uhtred said:

Thanks....What about Pol science????

pol science ke baremein idea nehin he.but it is more vast than pub ad,eisa suna he.vaji wala,only notes dictate karta he.does not explain,eisa suna he.
  • ye byapari log apna advertisement pel rahe hein.byapar kelie logo ko barbaad kardete hein,misguide karte hein.
  • is there any whatsapp group for sociology optional students?
  • hello friends,any one interested in sociology group study for cse 2018 .kindly comment.
  • I was planning to take sociology as my optional subject.
    But after going through the above I'm seriously confused whether to take sociology or should i stick with psychology..?
  • rishabhkm said:

I was planning to take sociology as my optional subject.
    But after going through the above I'm seriously confused whether to take sociology or should i stick with psychology..?

Sociology is not that bad as such but changing to sociology because it has less syllabus or can be more mark fetching wont be a good idea at all , as it doesn't have any less syllabus plus mark scoring might be actually tougher here because of its unlimited scope and lack of method in approaching a question or what makes an answer a sociological one , rest its your choice , as long as ur comfortable u should go for it its not going to be an issue
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• @Bugs_Bunny is joining vajiram worth for sociology?
  • rishabhkm said:

@Bugs_Bunny is joining vajiram worth for sociology?

This year I actually joined Vajiram , I felt it was pretty good , May be due to my prior knowledge of the subject but atleatst I felt it was worth it , so in my opinion its well worth it , provided u join and do the classes consistently and revise it regularly , coaching can be helpful upto certain point after that its ur smart/hard work that matters
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• @Bugs_Bunny thank you for your feedback.
  • guys please tell me about upendra sir classes for sociology .
  • guys please tell me about upendra sir classes for sociology .

dear i would request you to take a demo of Aditya Mongras sociology classes and then feel the difference which i felt after his orientation class.....he doesnot provide for demo but still request him for the same....best wishes
  • Thank you so much for replying . See i ahve contacted both the teachers upender sir and aditya sir . Batches have started and upender sir is done with 8 lectures and aditya sir 3 lectures m really confused . Please suggest and share ur experience cz i m going to join on monday . Tia
  • edited July 6

Thank you so much for replying . See i ahve contacted both the teachers upender sir and aditya sir . Batches have started and upender sir is done with 8 lectures and aditya sir 3 lectures m really confused . Please suggest and share ur experience cz i m going to join on monday . Tia

Join only mahapatra or upendra sir, others are pathetic. Also there are many coaching teachers posing as forumusers. Dont get misled by them.
  • Thank you so much for replying . See i ahve contacted both the teachers upender sir and aditya sir . Batches have started and upender sir is done with 8 lectures and aditya sir 3 lectures m really confused . Please suggest and share ur experience cz i m going to join on monday . Tia

please ask for demo class he might permit....i believe he is best mentor i have ever found who really can teach sociology.....i studied from both upendra and did test series from mahapatra....they donot provide personal guidance ....i believe aditya sir demo class made me join his regular classes last year....i wish you all the best.....
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog