MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Regarding cut-off and related anxiety

Hi..
Is there anyone out there who is confidently going ahead with preparation of Mains despite a score between 100-103? I'd like you to please write a message to help your fellow, very anxious comrades.
Those who want to say anything even remotely negative please waste your energy elsewhere!

I'd like to add that in 2014 there was a person @vignesh (if I'm not wrong) who wrote in detail how the cut off wouldnt breach 206 (and it didnt!!) when everyone was bull shitting like they are today..It provided me some solace.
I looked for his comment this time too..but a cursory search hasnt thrown anything! Let's discuss something positive which will ensure we can tame our mind for the coming 30-40 days..

Please pitch in...

Comments

• yayyyyyyyy I found Vignesh!!! :)
    And H/She says 98-100 is his approximate guess :)
  • All the best!!!May your words come true....Ameen!!
  • Yayyyy

yayyyyyyyy I found Vignesh!!! :)
    And H/She says 98-100 is his approximate guess :)

• I am scoring 103 considering all doubtful as wrong.. my strategy for the next one and half month.. I will go for current affairs classes and mains test series.. it will keep me engaged and away from negativities.. even after result if I fail I am not gonna leave the preparation..
    My point is if you think of not preparing then just leave this field and enjoy.. but if you have a feeling that you will take atleast one attempt more then please study
  • Sparrowin said:

I am scoring 103 considering all doubtful as wrong.. my strategy for the next one and half month.. I will go for current affairs classes and mains test series.. it will keep me engaged and away from negativities.. even after result if I fail I am not gonna leave the preparation..
    My point is if you think of not preparing then just leave this field and enjoy.. but if you have a feeling that you will take atleast one attempt more then please study

No one knows cut off ..but paper suggest it may be surprisingly low..
  • Had the 2nd ranker anmol sher singh bedi (pre marks 116) and 2011 2nd ranker rukmini riar ( pre marks 199 cutoff 198) been worried about cuttoff, they would hv flunked mains... its ok to worry but dont get paranoid about it... avoid forum till result or avoid cutoff related threads till result..they serve no good...study hard for mains..u never know..u might be the next topper.
    Valar Morghulis
  • Fuhrer said:

Had the 2nd ranker anmol sher singh bedi (pre marks 116) and 2011 2nd ranker rukmini riar ( pre marks 199 cutoff 198) been worried about cuttoff, they would hv flunked mains... its ok to worry but dont get paranoid about it... avoid forum till result or avoid cutoff related threads till result..they serve no good...study hard for mains..u never know..u might be the next topper.

+1
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • Fuhrer said:

Had the 2nd ranker anmol sher singh bedi (pre marks 116) and 2011 2nd ranker rukmini riar ( pre marks 199 cutoff 198) been worried about cuttoff, they would hv flunked mains... its ok to worry but dont get paranoid about it... avoid forum till result or avoid cutoff related threads till result..they serve no good...study hard for mains..u never know..u might be the next topper.

+1
  • Attention all.. If any one is getting above 105 in this paper..accept this challenge.. LETS have a one on one discussion..and prove it if u really got above 105 aftr removng all controversial onces..lets see how many genuine candidates here rather than candidates who dint even write exam ..speculating
  • edited June 27
    Hi guys.

Joined forum just few minutes ago. However, I have been following the discussion for past 9 days now.

Just an analysis of cutoff:

Lets consider 2015 as a balanced paper. Gen Cutoff: 107

2016 : Pretty simple , direct questions. Any serious candidate would have easily scored ~120.
    2016: Cut off: 116

2017: One of the trickiest paper`s of the decade.
    If cut off can increase 9 marks from 2015 level in a simple paper of 2016. it can surely fall by 9 marks in a tricky paper in 2017 from 2015 level.

It is better to consider 2015 as a benchmark than 2016.

Thus cutoff should be around 100.

Coming to my performance:

IAS baba, Insights keys: 93.33

Vision IAS: 96

Shankar IAS: 98.66

My answers to other controversial questions:
    RTV: Constitutional
    IVC: 1&3
    Cabinet: Speedy
    Butterfly : All 3
    Contaminants : All 3
    SFB: 1 & 2
    UPI : A
    DPSP: Neither
    Port: Masulipatnam

Logic in answering these questions: UPSC states that questions will be of the level that a well aware person should be able to answer.
    Just considered myself to be well aware and ticked options that seemed to be general and logical without going deep into them.
    :wink:

PS: This was my first serious attempt. I am a working professional ~ 9 years experience.
    Not sure about clearing prelims this time. May clear it on boundary or may not. However, its time to prepare for mains. Its been 9 days since prelims. Time to put all our energy for next stage of the exam.

Best wishes!!!
  • edited June 27
    Animax said:

Hi guys.

Joined forum just few minutes ago. However, I have been following the discussion for past 9 days now.

2016 : Pretty simple , direct questions. Any serious candidate would have easily scored ~120.

If cut off can increase 9 marks from 2015 level in a simple paper of 2016. it can surely fall by 9 marks in a tricky paper in 2017 from 2015 level.

Logic in answering these questions: UPSC states that questions will be of the level that a well aware person should be able to answer.
    Just considered myself to be well aware and ticked options that seemed to be general and logical without going deep into them.

PS: This was my first serious attempt. I am a working professional ~ 9 years experience.
    Not sure about clearing prelims this time. May clear it on boundary or may not. However, its time to prepare for mains. Its been 9 days since prelims. Time to put all our energy for next stage of the exam.

Best wishes!!!

RTV √
    SFB √
    UPI √
    Cabinet speedy 100% ×
    So you will be on better side

Just read 'Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme' and then read option C you would find the correct answer . Question is asking 'purpose of setting up' of sfb and it must be reflected in rbi guidelines or any sfbs product or services or mission statement but I don't find any such claims ...
    And sfb are not bound to setup their business only in rural areas.

In case of cabinet ... speedy has no relevance question is asking underlying principle and speedy quick फलाना ढिमका are not principle but might be consequences or reasons ... I have read official cabinet handbook of British as well as australian government and such 'speedy' fantasy was not mentioned there .
    Australian government's cabinet handbook 10th edition in the chapter 'CABINET CONVENTIONS AND PRINCIPLES' talks about it.

"Guiding Principles
    A Westminster-style Cabinet is defined by adherence to the principles of collective responsibility and Cabinet solidarity. These principles are the binding devices that ensure the unity of purpose of the Government and underpin the formulation of consistent policy advice. Collective Responsibility
    Collective responsibility is a long standing and integral part of the Cabinet system. It requires that whatever the range of private views put forward by ministers in the Cabinet, once decisions are arrived at and announced they are supported by all ministers. It ensures that the Government is collectively accountable and responsible to the Parliament and to the people of Australia."

now read option C it reflect the same thing
    it says " A mechanism of parliamentary democracy for ensuring collective responsibility of the Government to the people."

now compare it with option B

"मेलोडी खाओ खुद जान जाओ"

• Fuhrer said:

True.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
  • Brilliant thread. Scoring around 105/106 myself acc to shankar (strict marking, controversial Q or not). Been endlessly checking forum threads for a week now. Everytime it's just about some guy/ some analysis which would go in my favour. I've studied nothing, no productive work, no meeting friends, nothing. A bleddy shrub has a better life than I at this point.

So I decided 2 days back -- fuck it. This leads nowhere. In whose hands is the result? It's not in mine. Some folks would decide it based on some bleh calculations etc etc etc.

Jab aayega toh dekhenge. Abhi, prep karlo. Screw the associated anxiety. Aayega, ghabralenge, phir wapas lag jayenge prep mein. Do whatever, but do something that's related to mains. That's all. My 2 cents.
  • I wouldnt worry at 105!!!
    Secondly, I'd like to add that when one is a bit insecure-- even if a gadha says the most illogical of things with conviction we lose it. A lot of the people here are so full of conviction and are saying things that, like me, are probably making a lot of people super anxious and dejected.
    Fuck it and just study. No one knows jack shit. In 2014 a lot of people lost a lot of time due to this 220 hi jayegi cut off blah blah blah..
  • I wouldnt worry at 105!!!
    Secondly, I'd like to add that when one is a bit insecure-- even if a gadha says the most illogical of things with conviction we lose it. A lot of the people here are so full of conviction and are saying things that, like me, are probably making a lot of people super anxious and dejected.
    Fuck it and just study. No one knows jack shit. In 2014 a lot of people lost a lot of time due to this 220 hi jayegi cut off blah blah blah..

Well said.
  • We have to be our own saviors
    Shakeel Badayuni ke alfazo mein--

Chahiye khud pe yakin-e-kamil
    (you need resolute faith in yourself and your understanding of things)
    haunsla kis ka badhata hai koi
  • Everyone who is worried and asking insensitive, ill informed and smug people with good marks "what will be the cut off"; "will I clear"

Very wise Gurdas Mann (poet and singer we in Punjab love and adore) said about this duniya and its people-- "iss nagri di ajab kahani, dubbdeya de muh paundi paani"

"This world's a strange place, its people like to put water in the mouths of those they find drowning"
  • This thread has positivity..I am starting my studies from today ( 102-108 obc)
  • fakeid said:

Animax said:

Hi guys.

Best wishes!!!

RTV √
    SFB √
    UPI √
    Cabinet speedy 100% ×

Just read 'Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme' and then read option C you would find the correct answer . Question is asking 'purpose of setting up' of sfb and it must be reflected in rbi guidelines or any sfbs product or services or mission statement but I don't find any such claims ...

In case of cabinet ... speedy has no relevance question is asking underlying principle and speedy quick फलाना ढिमका are not principle but might be consequences or reasons ... I have read official cabinet handbook of British as well as australian government and such 'speedy' fantasy was not mentioned there .
    Australian government's cabinet handbook 10th edition in the chapter 'CABINET CONVENTIONS AND PRINCIPLES' talks about it.

"Guiding Principles
    A Westminster-style Cabinet is defined by adherence to the principles of collective responsibility and Cabinet solidarity. These principles are the binding devices that ensure the unity of purpose of the Government and underpin the formulation of consistent policy advice. Collective Responsibility
    Collective responsibility is a long standing and integral part of the Cabinet system. It requires that whatever the range of private views put forward by ministers in the Cabinet, once decisions are arrived at and announced they are supported by all ministers. It ensures that the Government is collectively accountable and responsible to the Parliament and to the people of Australia."

it says " A mechanism of parliamentary democracy for ensuring collective responsibility of the Government to the people."

"मेलोडी खाओ खुद जान जाओ"

look into this..yes i marked speedy..
    Sir,Please note ..the Cabinet(A mini council of ministers) is responsible to parliament and especially to the lok sabha..In UK..in the cabinet form of govt.. there is only cabinet and there is no council of ministers convept there..In the world..westminister form of govt is the most authentic cabinet form of govt..in that govt..cabinet is responsible to parliament(not just house of commons).. No where in the question there is mentioned India in the question..so no where in the world in any cabinet form of governments.. the cabinet is responsible to people.. The drkt question for this is..Is council of ministers(cabinet) is responsible to people or lok sabha? Even USA govt has cabinet .. cabinet form of govt doesnot mean parliamentary form please note.. In USA .. cabinet is chosen to speed up the day to day activities.
  • edited June 28
    Let me pass on the advice given to the world by a great intellectual, someone who cared about those he shared his time on earth with and also for those who were to come after he was long gone..Believe and internalise his words for he isnt petty like most people you'll encounter otherwise (especially on this forum) and he genuinely cared..

Janaab Allama Iqbal instructs you to adopt the following attitude for to help you deal with uncertainty of "am I in with this score or out" and extreme stress that unfolding of the last 11 days of events lead you to:

Batil se dabne vaale ai Aasman Nahi ham

Sau baar kar chuka hai tu imtihan hamara

(Batil- falsehood or untrue)

Further, Lakhnavi ji's words are golden and let us all think this way:

Aata hai jo tufan aane de Kashti Ka Khuda Khud Hafiz hai

Mumkin hai ki uthi Lehron mein behta hua sahil aa jaa.e

But I am convinced that uthi lehro se sahil ki journey requires our resolute effort. This depressive and uncertain wave must be ridden with such a killer attitude that we channel every inch of our mindspace to effective studying.

Ending this very very long post with Jigar Moradabadi ji's words

Jo Tufaano mein palte ja rahe hai

Vahi duniya badalte ja rahe hai

Control your mind. Put up a stellar fight. Don't ask any person for any help in terms of reassuring asnwers or comfort. NO. Work hard and watch how magic happens...sooner (inshallah) if not later.

In the weak moments in the coming month, remember the wise words of Wahidi sa'ab..

Kisi ko kaise bataein zaruratein apni

madad mile na mile aabru to jaati hai
  • edited June 28
    Love this above post @KhatoonKamyab . Can you tell me some good shayari books? I always love listening to them.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • fakeid said:

Animax said:

Hi guys.

Best wishes!!!

RTV √
    SFB √
    UPI √
    Cabinet speedy 100% ×

"Guiding Principles

"मेलोडी खाओ खुद जान जाओ"

Yes, I do agree with you on Cabinet form of Govt. However while I was attempting the question, word speedy struck me just by looking at the word cabinet. Had the question been just on cabinet, answer had to be speedy work. I neglected cabinet form of Govt. and hence marked b.

I was of the thought " Why would UPSC ask same question twice?" viz. executive is responsible to legislature.

Infact, I came across UPSC's indicative syllabus regarding personal interview for selection of Non SCS officers to IAS.

The syllabus says "A broad perspective of Indian political system, concepts of parliamentary democracy, cabinet form of government, unitary vs federal systems of government ...etc.."

Seeing this syllabus stating cabinet form of govt. just after parliamentary democracy, i believe UPSC will go with C as Ans.

• edited June 28
    I have started studying even though my score isnt such that I can be confident. I dont even have the cushion of another attempt (don't deny it ya'll; it does blunt the sharp fall a person takes failing at any stage). Yet I will study like crazy- give a good number of hours, study GS and my optional each day. I'll remember the passion I feel for the job I want which is nothing less than God's work in my eyes...

I cried a lot. I spoke to assholes of "friends" who told me to not hope at all and let it go. One said he'd change his name if the cut off went below 107. Cried more. Another said think of options. Howled.

Then after a while a lull took over. I was sad and heartbroken...Felt in my bones the words of my favourite poet Avtar Singh paash "Sabto khatarnaak hai sade supneya da mar jana" (Deadliest is the death of our dreams) probably with the same intensity he may have written them with.
    I'm a really optimistic and passionate person but this was a blow which knocked me to the ground, face down, from which I just couldn't pick myself up. 3 days passed-- people on forum made me cry so much more.

Finally, crying at 3 AM, all alone in the dark, words of another very loved poet (PS- I am very sensitive to the literary word and I truly believe poets are magicians and god's delegates here on earth) just came to me. Just like that. Got up and searched for the book which had the whole nazm.
    Read it. cried. re-read it and then alllll the strength and self-belief flooded my veins

Here it is for anyone who cares (annoyingly annotated with my interpretations etc; please ignore; sometimes I just can't help myself)..I pray it works as a soothing balm to you to and you feel as healed as I did and have since

Ham par tumhari chaah ka ilzam hi to hai
    (I am accused of desiring you IPS)
    Dushnam to nahi hai ye ikram hi to hai
    (Not an abuse but it is an honour to me)

Karte hai jis pe taan, koi jurm to nahin
    (Those who are taunting me, it is no crime)
    Shauq-e-fazul o ulfat-e-nakam hi to hai
    (No useless pursuit, it is only unrequited love ;( )

Dil muddayi ke harf-e-malamat se shaad hai
    (My heart's still happy by the words of humiliation that are thrown my way by accusers, accusing me of dreaming so and failing multiple times; calling me a loser)
    Ai jan-e-jan ye harf tera naam hi to hai
    (My beloved IPS these words are an association to you only; an association/accusation of dreaming and desiring the good work you would have empowered me to do..lives you would have empowered me to elevate)

DIL NA UMEED TO NAHIN..NAKAM HI TO HAI
    (The words that came to me at night..my heart is still not hopeless, even though I've seen multiple failures)
    LAMBI HAI GHAM KI SHAAM MAGAR SHAAM HI TO HAI
    (This evening of sorrow doesn't seem to end for me, but SO WHAT! I know it is only but an evening :) )

dast-e-falak mein gardish-e-taqdeer to nahi
    (The hand of sky or the creator hasnt written this to be destiny, for I believe I write my destiny)
    dast-e-falak mein gardish-e-ayyaam hi to hai
    (It is only the creator showing me a few bad days)

Akhir to ek roz karegi nazar vafaa
    (one day UPSC shall find me worthy of your honour, o' uniform)
    vo yaar-e-khush-khisal sar-e-bam hi to hai
    (My beloved with unparalleled qualities, you're only sitting at the top of the terrace; and all I need to do is elevate my being- intellectual, emotional and physical to reach you!)

Bhigi hai raat 'faiz' ghazal ibtida karo
    (The night is drenched with my tears and sweat, begin your ghazal Faiz)
    vaqt-e-sarod dard ka hangaam hi to hai
    (The music of the moment is the clamour of my searing pain afterall)

~~Magician Faiz Ahmed Faiz

I was reminded that I will always wear the pursuit of my passion to join the IPS, and do the amazing work I want to do, provide the dignity my fellow compatriots are denied like a badge of honour. Even in the face of my personal tragedy I will continue to believe I can and remain optimistic..Lambi hai gham ki shaam to kya?! SHAAM HI TO HAI!!
  • I used to clear cutoff by 30-40 marks in CSAT era... never felt anxiety...
    But since 2015 I continuosly feel the threat of elimination when i see discussion on forum IAS...

In 2015 I scored nearly 110, and I was not happy with my score as I cud do 2 more correct and that wud bring in in much safer zone...

In 2016 I score 118 and was still skeptic as all of my friends was getting 125+... i felt ki i cud hv done 2 more question correct...

I am in same situation this year, it seems prima facie... I am at minimum 103, (with same feeling, 2 more questions wud have been correct)...

With my extensive experience I know it will be sufficient... I hv started doing my optional till results come... hopefully it will be positive...

Guys, especially new comers... believe me, if u r scoring minimum 95 with all doubtful considering wrong, u will hv 50 50 chances of getting in... if u hv 100 minimum considering doubtfull wrong... u r surely in...

So dont waste ur time... dont abuse each other... today is 28th, 4 months down the line this time u will be writing UPSC Mains...

Bye till the result...
  • Don't know who u r khatoonkamyab but I luv u
    Just wow
    I can totally guess u r a girl. All the best dear
  • cbkg said:

Don't know who u r khatoonkamyab but I luv u
    Just wow
    I can totally guess u r a girl. All the best dear

hes a guy
    the only hurdle between you and success is lack of genuine belief
  • Can't believe itne tough times mein gender discuss karna precedence le raha hai.
    Please everyone share your personal story to help others overcome their insecurity; pain; lonely battle.
    One (wo)man's courage makes a majority!!!!

I am a female :)
    isnt it very obvious from Khatoon in my user name?? Khatoon matlab a lady! Hadd ho gayi...
  • edited June 28
    निग़ाह बुलंद सुखन दिलनवाज़ जाँ पुरसोज़
    यही है रख्त-ए-सफर मीर-ए-कारवाँ के लिये
    - इक़बाल
    Lofty vision, heart-warming speech and a soul on fire
    Of the leader of a caravan, this is all we require.

जुस्तजू हो तो सफ़र ख़त्म कहाँ होता है
    यूँ तो हर मोड़ पे मंज़िल का ग़ुमाँ होता है
    - ग़ुलाम रब्बानी ताबान
    For the seeker the journey will never end
    Though he may delude himself at every bend.
    But why?
  • जुस्तजू हो तो सफ़र ख़त्म कहाँ होता है
    यूँ तो हर मोड़ पे मंज़िल का ग़ुमाँ होता है

ah wala tan ghaint h 22
    पसीने की स्याही से जो लिखते है इरादों को, उनके मुकद्दर के सफ़ेद पन्ने कभी कोरे नही होते

dekhte h zaalim or kitna tadpaega
  • @KhatoonKamyab I am writing this because of you. :)

I love words. I am obsessed with all form of visual arts. I can look at star charts for hours and I own a tiny telescope. Loving these can't get you anywhere, can it? Neither will it make you a good son/daughter.

I am also a postgraduate from a premier Institute with hons and a gold medal, so I had a good thing going on career wise. And in my native, it was pure gold.

Then CSE happened. I wrote mains in my first attempt. Then, a cycle of sadness and despair.

Couple of year fast forward, CSE is a thing of past for me. I teach engineering grads in a premier Institute. I give myself solace saying that this is my chance to work for flaws in technical education in country, and I love all my kids there, but I can't stop thinking about LBSNAA and life thereafter.

I have age and attempt both for CSE, I don't if it's a good thing or bad... But you know, enough about myself, I would like to say something to all of you out there, everyone like khatoon.

This is coming straight from heart. You are all no less than a warrior. I respect you, and I want you to win, assuming what attracts you towards services is not grey. I want you to get in, it feels like I know you, reading your posts over years and years, and I want you to do what I could never achieve.

A big hug.
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog