MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 30th OCT(Evening) 5:15 PM - 7:15 PM & 15th Nov. (Morning) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM ;
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Startups , business ideas etc

from quite few days i have seen people Asking for startup ideas etc here on forum ,
i might be able to help a few people (as i wont be contributing much to Forumias from tomorrow onwards , no Bakaar , no faltu Threads)

My background
I had co-founded and ran a startup for some time ( ecommerce) , and was selected in an (tichu sa ) Startup incubator (for a diff startup idea)
so i would try to keep it brief

to start with : Golden rule of any startup is to keep it Lean , malb ki minimum investment , max Output (Paisa) , you could refer : Zero to One book by peter Theil

types of startups : a) E Commerce b) Non - Ecommerce

a) E Commerce

level 1 : Sell on Amazon / Flipkart etc
-This would be the easiest and the most lean way to start ,
you could simply import something and sell via amazon
-Earlier it was pain in ass to get started as one needed to have TIN ( you would need to pay bribe of around 15-20K) , IEC ( import export code ) etc
but t seems now it has become easier given the GST
tips
-Sell a product which isnt common , maltb agr koi wo particular cheez search kre to you shoild be the first seller to be selling that
- Try to get +ve ranking , respond to queries , focus on packing etc
- Amazon will take care of all the stuff for you if your formalities are in order
refrence sites : Amazonn seller , GSTIN Guide , Other import export guidelines

*refer Appendix 1, for further details on import -export , alibaba etc

level 2 : Get your own Ecommerce website
-This is one of the most easiest way to make a brand for youself ( this is what i did) ,
- don't go to web developers , they will charge you ton of money , 50-60k , and that all could be done in a day
- Everyone knows wordpress , right ? , anyone can setup a simple ecommerce website (almost free) usinh wordpress and a simple plugin called woocommerce
- All documentation and steps related to woocommerce HERE and here
- You need to buy a domain name , pay for hosting ( don't go for expensive US hosting , any desi cheap hosting will work) , and professional looking emails like zohan@forumias.com ( i wish they gave me one :pensive: ) , using zoho mail free plan
- This all will cost you around 2-3k a yr ( depending upon hosting / domain name )
- I used CCavenue for payment gateways , but i have heard great things about Razorpay
- For Shipping Use Fedex (desi trike se , pack the order , take it to nearest office and mail) , at least for start to make your customer base ,then you may use delhivery , shiprocket etc for same and automate the whole process ( but do this later)
- Use plugins like This one , to automatically make pdf bills and Packin slip ( paste it on the package , tape it and mail) , and AfterShip , to add tracking functunality ( remember , all this is free)
- Optimise your site , read on internet , educate yourself , use sites like GTmatrix to annalyse and improve your site.
- You would need to register your Company ( register an LLP ) , dont spend money on Cs etc , google and you will understand how to do this

- refer appendix -2 for more details
b) Non Ecommerce
-Educational : ists only profitable in offline setup if forumias can be kind enough to let
- Hardware : it takes lot of time and effort , but you could look to apply to incubators like Hax
- You need to get an MVP (minimum viable product ) before applying to a incubator , but you gotta be different , and interesting , and noone can do help you in that
seniors to conduct test series in their home states :wink: )

Appendix -1
Importing is a tricky job ,
-you would need to import from alibaba , , there are many ways to be safe and online tutorials are available , just google " how to import from alibaba safely"
- This site StartupBros has many good tutorials
- payments are tricky never use western Union or letter of Credit (LoC) , you could refer this guide
- remember china wale bhi humari trah hai , all they want is to trick and steal from foreigners , you could always bargain ( to extend of 1/10th of initially mentioned cost)
- always be Polite and at same time be professional , have a business card ( could make one free online) , a website etc
-
Appendix 2
- Always start small , and go vertical , matlb , depending upon response , improvise and invest more
- have minimum investment in non essential stuff , extra functunality
- make sure site is easy to load even on mobile sites ( use appropriate woocommerce themes for same)
- Never used nulled themes (hacked themes , or anything hacked , illegal )
-
the post is getting too long and would add other points if any , later

@root @ForumIAS , can this be made announcement ?

Comments

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog