MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

CSM 2017 Ethics Answer Writing and Learning Together Here

As many many people are requesting my Strategy for Ethics paper, I'm creating this thread for continued feedback based learning together. For next month or so I will remain here and will TRY to review questions and answers placed here.

I request EVERYONE who scored good or have confidence that they have a better approach , please do share your gems of knowledge here !

PS- It's a purely self analysis based learning thread. If you feel that my suggestions will not work..then search for your own ones. Ethics is one of the easiest paper to score good if you decode some basics associated with it. Also there are MULTIPLE ways to score good in Ethics so I will share Onlyyyy My Way. Anyone can share any other way even if IT IS DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSITE one. So LEARNERS DISCRETION is expected.

PPS- NO BAKAR SIRF PDAI !

all the Besttt.. #HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

Comments

• edited June 24
    http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/12054/csm-2016-ethics-answer-writing-practice-thread/p1

BEFORE i share my extra info I request you to please THOROUGHLY read the pages of this discusSion thread. Most of the things which i believe can help us in ethics is ALREADY GIVEN in this.

So FIRST READ this and then ask any further query IF ARISES ! I will share my answers here as and when available. :)

PS- Don't PM me regarding queries related to Ethics. It's already overburdened plus will not be so much available here as PREPARING for my OWN selection also. I'm a 3 times YET-NOT-SUCCEEDED ASPIRANT so nothing much to tell except where i scored good. HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND !

#KeepWritingKeepReviewingKeepLearning :)
  • My quick time answer to Last year OLD LADY CASE STUDY -

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

1st line - 1st i will again verify personally whether old lady is truly eligible and only document lack is the problem.. if yes then I will ensure that old lady gets the benefit of the scheme immediately even if it involve some tweaking or breaking of rules.

(Then just dropped key points/lines )

Why-

1. Rules for public not vice versa

2. Bureaucratic Redtapism hv done more harm than good in our country.. in the name of archaic rigid rules evn genuine public interest not served.

3. Erosion of public faith in the system due to blind rule driven follow up

4. Any good public servant should not just understand well the laws but more importantly the loopholes of the laws..so tweaking of laws always possible but only thing is it should be done in OPEN TRANSPARENT AND PUBLIC INTEREST DRIVEN MANNER WITH INVOLVING/INFORMING THE SENIOR HIERARCHY EXPLICITLY

5. I will search the provisions or loopholes available thru which i can give benefits to the lady firstly and timely. I will personally verify and write the file noting that although no document but i as a competent authority is reasonably satisfied that she is a deserving beneficiary. (Intelligent transgression of the law !)

6. Then once this is done i will search for alternative like quick making of her requisite documents within a reasonable period and then attach them for official record maintenance purpose.

7. Now i wil ensure that scheme provisions is changed to institutionalize such kind of Exceptional cases and there redressal in a proper And objective manner like Tehsildar approved affidavit or self attested affidavit valid for some time if genuine beneficiary etc.

8. Finally i know that sooner rather than later i will be questioned or even can be brought to court ..but it's ok.. i am young plus knowledge but the old lady have nothing.. so i will be ready to bear all the pain of legal proceedings to get a genuine old lady beneficiary her due benefits on time.

9. As ex PM on CS day function said
    " A public servant should be Biased towards the poor destitute and vulnerable sections of the society."

So i will happily take this biased step to help the old lady.
  • Thanks bro...
  • My quick time answer to Last year OLD LADY CASE STUDY -

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

1st line - 1st i will again verify personally whether old lady is truly eligible and only document lack is the problem.. if yes then I will ensure that old lady gets the benefit of the scheme immediately even if it involve some tweaking or breaking of rules.

Why-

2. Bureaucratic Redtapism hv done more harm than good in our country.. in the name of archaic rigid rules evn genuine public interest not served.

4. Any good public servant should not just understand well the laws but more importantly the loopholes of the laws..so tweaking of laws always possible but only thing is it should be done in OPEN TRANSPARENT AND PUBLIC INTEREST DRIVEN MANNER WITH INVOLVING/INFORMING THE SENIOR HIERARCHY EXPLICITLY

5. I will search the provisions or loopholes available thru which i can give benefits to the lady firstly and timely. I will personally verify and write the file noting that although no document but i as a competent authority is reasonably satisfied that she is a deserving beneficiary. (Intelligent transgression of the law !)

6. Then once this is done i will search for alternative like quick making of her requisite documents within a reasonable period and then attach them for official record maintenance purpose.

7. Now i wil ensure that scheme provisions is changed to institutionalize such kind of Exceptional cases and there redressal in a proper And objective manner like Tehsildar approved affidavit or self attested affidavit valid for some time if genuine beneficiary etc.

8. Finally i know that sooner rather than later i will be questioned or even can be brought to court ..but it's ok.. i am young plus knowledge but the old lady have nothing.. so i will be ready to bear all the pain of legal proceedings to get a genuine old lady beneficiary her due benefits on time.

" A public servant should be Biased towards the poor destitute and vulnerable sections of the society."

A very reasoned answer. It cleared some doubts as to what is the extent to which one can go when it comes to tweaking rules and exploiting lacunae when it comes to decision making.
  • edited June 24
    Your understanding of the topic is pretty good Yar..
    I remember writing somewhat similar answer but not in depth.. i had written that kaise to I'll get those documents arranged so that both the purpose are solved....ethical concerns zabardasti ghused Raha tha... Your flow appears to be very lucid and that's why answer appear more convincing...bus I'm curious to know Kya time sahi me likha Tha ki you are prepared to undergo legal tangle for this case??

PS: I remember reading your answers last year and somewhat thinking ki maybe such answers ( those you had written in that thread) could only be written within the comfort of time, but with your score I was proven wrong :) .You were damn good in them, iam glad you have shown the way by sharing not only your answers but depth of thinking process.
    Thanks for creating this thread.

# HumHongeKamyab B)
  • Thanks a ton bro.
  • Thanks bro
  • Ques- Employee in govt office finds his boss indulges in domestic violence. (2016)

This is what I think I would have written (I don't remember what I wrote in exam)-

Option 1- Just ignore thinking it is their personal affair

If one ignores this, then there are certain problems. The officer would continue to engage in domestic violence. His wife would continue to be beaten up, which would affect her self worth, her physical body and her soul negatively. The officer would continue to disparage women in general and that would also affect his work and environment in office. Unconciously, he would discourage women employees and there won't be gender equity.

Option2- Report the case to appropriate authority

In this case, the authority would conduct investigation and would punish him if he is found guilty. But often in such cases, punishment don't stop such behavior. These are deep seated thoughts and perceptions which needs counselling as well. He must see his fault and realise it. Moreover, it would also affect his relation with his subordinate officer who complained. This would affect office atmosphere and can be taken as backstabbing by the senior.

Option 3- Your own innovative approach

The best option seems to speak to the senior and try to make him realise his mistake. He must be made to realise that women contributes more than a man, she raises a child, maintains a family. He should be shown examples of how his wife worked hard and sacrificed for him many times. Also, telling him of various achievements of women might help him in shunning his preconceptions. As a last resort, he should be warned if he engages as such, then the junior would complain to authorities. This option would also not affect the relation between the senior officer and junior as such and would allow him an option to reform before things come out in public.

PS- I got only 91.
    @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir please review.
  • edited June 24

My quick time answer to Last year OLD LADY CASE STUDY -

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

i got 56/250, :|
    let me also share what i wrote so that people can make me aware of mistakes.

Wrote it in a elaborate way, but summarizing it here in points,
    1. Rules are there for both ordinary and extra ordinary situations. This is an extra ordinary situation and i will have to ensure that i "apply" the rule in such a way that the aim of the rules are maintained.
    2. The aim of the rules pertaining to this schemes was to make sure the scheme is efficiently delivered to everyone and also make sure no multiple persons or ineligible person gets the benefit of the scheme.
    3. Lady does not have documents, so there are two things to consider, establishing identity of the lady(To prohibit multiple benefit case) and ensuring that her age is as per the requirements of the scheme.
    4. For identity, Bio metrics will be scanned and stored into database.
    5. For ensuring age is proper, will be referred immediately to a doctor to get the necessary tests done. If such cases are large, a doctor's camp will be set up in the office or if this is an isolated case, a person from the office will accompany the lady to ensure things move smoothly and quickly.

So i gave this solution :|

Mistakes according to me,
    1. Did not relate it to the current system in India - While talking about bio metrics etc i should have quoted the provisions from the aadhar card and linked it as an example.
    2. should have mentioned more words like transparency, bureaucratic attitude, red tapism etc. I mean i totally ignored the theory and just gave a practical example of how i would solve it. :|

Please everyone feel free to point out more mistakes. :|
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Old lady case- my answer (though influenced by yo yo sir's thinking pattern)

In this case, the conflict is between the urge to help a helpless woman and to follow rules as otherwise it won’t be fair to all.

The women is illiterate and old. She needs help and is a genuine beneficiary intended under the scheme. The schemes are made for people. If after checking her credentials, she seems to be genuine, one should go ahead and help her get the scheme benefits.

The reasons being-

1) She is old and illterate. In such a case, it is difficult to go from office to office to make papers and then come back. She would do better off without such red tapism.

2) The ultimate aim of such schemes are to help intended beneficiaries and to check out those who are not eligible. I would check again to ensure if she fulfills all criteria. Her cas e is a special one and our DPSP also says that state should make provisions for helpless, old aged person.

3) I would arrange for papers after enrolling her in the scheme and would make sure she has her papers from later on.

4) She is in helpless state and I being in a privileged state, I would help her and if any investigation comes then I would tll them the truth and face them. She would be more harassed if she goes through all the procedures to have her papers.

5) She is old and the unnecessary delay might further deteriorate her health. Let her have some benefits of the scheme which are intended for people, when she lives.
  • pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

1. Rules are there for both ordinary and extra ordinary situations. This is an extra ordinary situation and i will have to ensure that i "apply" the rule in such a way that the aim of the rules are maintained.
    2. The aim of the rules pertaining to this schemes was to make sure the scheme is efficiently delivered to everyone and also make sure no multiple persons or ineligible person gets the benefit of the scheme.
    3. Lady does not have documents, so there are two things to consider, establishing identity of the lady(To prohibit multiple benefit case) and ensuring that her age is as per the requirements of the scheme.
    5. For ensuring age is proper, will be referred immediately to a doctor to get the necessary tests done. If such cases are large, a doctor's camp will be set up in the office or if this is an isolated case, a person from the office will accompany the lady to ensure things move smoothly and quickly.

1. Did not relate it to the current system in India - While talking about bio metrics etc i should have quoted the provisions from the aadhar card and linked it as an example.
    2. should have mentioned more words like transparency, bureaucratic attitude, red tapism etc. I mean i totally ignored the theory and just gave a practical example of how i would solve it. :|

Your answer also did not suggest immediate steps to address the lady's concern. What you suggested should have been done after she was provided some sort of immediate relief.

And this is a great initiative. Let's try and discuss as many questions and case studies as possible in the most scoring paper of GS. :)
  • edited June 24
    Catman said:

pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Your answer also did not suggest immediate steps to address the lady's concern. What you suggested should have been done after she was provided some sort of immediate relief.

And this is a great initiative. Let's try and discuss as many questions and case studies as possible in the most scoring paper of GS. :)
    Thank you, kindly request you to elaborate more on the immediate relief part :)
    i thought biometrics and doctor's tests will be done in a day because a person from office is accompanying the lady :|
    please put more light, maybe i am missing something here
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

Catman said:

pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

i thought biometrics and doctor's tests will be done in a day because a person from office is accompanying the lady :|
    "But after meeting her and listening to her you feel that she certainly needs support"
    I feel the way you have framed your answer makes it seem that you are giving too much importance to "paper-work" before helping out a poor lady.
    Maybe, you could have stated at the outset that you will assure her that she will get her right and later request her to accompany your guy to complete the biometric etc. What do you think?
  • edited June 24
    Catman said:

pizza said:

Catman said:

pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

"But after meeting her and listening to her you feel that she certainly needs support"
    I feel the way you have framed your answer makes it seem that you are giving too much importance to "paper-work" before helping out a poor lady.
    Maybe, you could have stated at the outset that you will assure her that she will get her right and later request her to accompany your guy to complete the biometric etc. What do you think?
    I thought that was implied. Giving importance to paper work means solving her issue asap. :tongue:
    Anyways, will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you. :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

Catman said:

pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Well @pizza , if I may, I think the question is Can you think of a rational way to resolve this dilemma?

Here, at first, a little discussion about the dilemma and then the rational way out of that dilemma. So, I think moral reasoning of why you are doing what you are doing like helping woman needs to be focussed. You are focussing on how you would help. Hope this helps. :)
  • Wife beater boss Case Study:

Analysis of Options:
    a) Ignore the situation:
    This option allows one to keep the distance between professional and personal life.
    It may also save me from the disdain of my boss.
    However, such an attitude is not healthy for the growth of a society and will ultimately harm the weakest section the most.
    Besides, agreeing with everything your boss says or does is not the correct way to approach a professional relationship.

b) Report the Situation:
    This will open up the opportunity for an impartial inquiry into the personal conduct of the person in question.
    Will help improve the situation of his wife.
    However, since I am the assistant to the director of the department, it would almost certainly jeopardize my career at this institute.
    There is also a slight possibility that I may not be aware of the complete details of their personal life.

c) Innovative solution to the problem:
    Talk to the boss about the entire situation and tell him that I'm uncomfortable with the way he treats his wife.
    Inform him that as a responsible citizen, I will look into the avenues of informing his uneducated wife of the steps she can take to get out of the situation, unless he changes his behaviour towards her.
    This allows him an opportunity to introspect into his failings in his personal life and gives him an opportunity to change his behaviour in his personal life.
    If his behaviour does not change, appropriate measures must be taken to help the wife out of her misery, even at the risk of ruining my professional relationship with the boss.

All inputs are most welcome. :)
  • edited June 24

pizza said:

Catman said:

pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Well @pizza , if I may, I think the question is Can you think of a rational way to resolve this dilemma?

Here, at first, a little discussion about the dilemma and then the rational way out of that dilemma. So, I think moral reasoning of why you are doing what you are doing like helping woman needs to be focussed. You are focussing on how you would help. Hope this helps. :)
    Yes, i understand it now :) It was wrong on my part to assume that there will not be any ethical concerns here as i felt that the extra ordinary situation was well within the ambit of the law.
    The aadhar provisions where, one could be registered if even they dont have the required proof(in case of BPL), was at the back of my mind(although i dint mention the act and its provisions). This led me to think that this is an exercise well within the rules framed. so i assumed that this would be ethical. :)
    And yes, i totally forgot to add the moral theory part.
    Being multi dimensional helps i guess like you have suggested. Thank you very much! :innocent:
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • In old woman case study I wrote a different opinion .

Please review.

Dilemma :- A situation in which discretion needs to be applied either in conformity with the rules or probably against the rules.

Though the main motive of the scheme is to serve old and destitude lady and hence as an Officer in charge I have a moral duty to look into the case sincerely even if the women may not be eligible.

I will interrogate her to find out whether she is eligible or not. If she seems to be eligible then I expedite the process to ensure proper support to her. And will ask the respective authority to make the desirable documents for future use.

But if she does not fulfill any of the eligibility criteria, then I would in deliverance of my duty would contact other such institutes run by NGOs, philanthropists or social workers to ensure her a dwelling space..

If I could not find any, then I would look for other schemes through which she could be made eligible for support.

If not, then I would beg her pardon to support in my official capacity as she is not the only destitute who may be in need. Probably, this will lead to requests by other such ladies who are in need but are not eligible. This may bring disrepute to my institution on hypothetical grounds such as disrepute endangering the support already provided to the already existing members.

Though I would promise her to look into her cause as soon as possible.

I would also request the respective agencies and social workers to find out the causes of destituion on old ladies. I would requst them to aware people about parental rights and responsibilities of eAdult children for them..

Their long term independence can only be ensured by proper social security benefits.

It is also a case which shows the failure of the state to provide id cards and legal documents to the needy. Which need to be looked into on a priority basis.
  • pizza did u attempt case stdies first or after section a?
    coz 56 seems low by this years marking, maybe your strategy also needs a revisit
  • Eiago said:

pizza did u attempt case stdies first or after section a?
    coz 56 seems low by this years marking, maybe your strategy also needs a revisit

case studies first. its not just low, its almost equal to fail. :tongue:
    Yes there were a lot of flaws in the way i answered :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Seed said:

In old woman case study I wrote a different opinion .

Please review.

Dilemma :- A situation in which discretion needs to be applied either in conformity with the rules or probably against the rules.

Though the main motive of the scheme is to serve old and destitude lady and hence as an Officer in charge I have a moral duty to look into the case sincerely even if the women may not be eligible.

I will interrogate her to find out whether she is eligible or not. If she seems to be eligible then I expedite the process to ensure proper support to her. And will ask the respective authority to make the desirable documents for future use.

But if she does not fulfill any of the eligibility criteria, then I would in deliverance of my duty would contact other such institutes run by NGOs, philanthropists or social workers to ensure her a dwelling space..

If I could not find any, then I would look for other schemes through which she could be made eligible for support.

If not, then I would beg her pardon to support in my official capacity as she is not the only destitute who may be in need. Probably, this will lead to requests by other such ladies who are in need but are not eligible. This may bring disrepute to my institution on hypothetical grounds such as disrepute endangering the support already provided to the already existing members.

Though I would promise her to look into her cause as soon as possible.

I would also request the respective agencies and social workers to find out the causes of destituion on old ladies. I would requst them to aware people about parental rights and responsibilities of eAdult children for them..

Their long term independence can only be ensured by proper social security benefits.

It is also a case which shows the failure of the state to provide id cards and legal documents to the needy. Which need to be looked into on a priority basis.

So many dimensions! Loved the critical analysis. Need to learn a lot from this answer. :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

Eiago said:

pizza did u attempt case stdies first or after section a?

case studies first. its not just low, its almost equal to fail. :tongue:
    Yes there were a lot of flaws in the way i answered :)
    hmm bhai.. just keep going through case studies section of last year's thread, it will help.
    iam did the same last year but it was rather late in the day, this time ill be doing it from now itself.
  • Catman said:

Wife beater boss Case Study:

Analysis of Options:
    a) Ignore the situation:
    This option allows one to keep the distance between professional and personal life.
    It may also save me from the disdain of my boss.
    However, such an attitude is not healthy for the growth of a society and will ultimately harm the weakest section the most.
    Besides, agreeing with everything your boss says or does is not the correct way to approach a professional relationship.

b) Report the Situation:
    This will open up the opportunity for an impartial inquiry into the personal conduct of the person in question.
    Will help improve the situation of his wife.
    However, since I am the assistant to the director of the department, it would almost certainly jeopardize my career at this institute.
    There is also a slight possibility that I may not be aware of the complete details of their personal life.

c) Innovative solution to the problem:
    Talk to the boss about the entire situation and tell him that I'm uncomfortable with the way he treats his wife.
    Inform him that as a responsible citizen, I will look into the avenues of informing his uneducated wife of the steps she can take to get out of the situation, unless he changes his behaviour towards her.
    This allows him an opportunity to introspect into his failings in his personal life and gives him an opportunity to change his behaviour in his personal life.
    If his behaviour does not change, appropriate measures must be taken to help the wife out of her misery, even at the risk of ruining my professional relationship with the boss.
    with respect to the third option, i think first consulting to the victim is necessary to realize actual situation, it is quite possible that she may not support your action due to fear, so in first place confidence building is necessary.

All inputs are most welcome. :)

• From where we can practice few case studies ??
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

Pre -4, mains -2 , interview - 2, Rank -None
  • Wife beater question

Options can be many ,

Simply ignore but it will only result in more pain to the victim

Or we need to first approach the lady , understand her problem , why and what has been the issue

Than following steps can be taken

1) directly approach to the law , but again if done directly it may or may not deter the individual ,

2) a comprehensive counselling and make him understand that it's not correct , through his superiors , if that doesn't stop him than try to pressurise through his superiors on professional level , if still he doesn't stop than finally legal action has to be taken , even though it will create problems in professional relationship , but still when there is something wrong happening we can't close our eyes to it.
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• edited June 24

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Sir, is point #8 really required to be written here. I am skeptical about it whether we should go that far. Please suggest.

PS: I got only 100/250
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • Eiago said:

Your understanding of the topic is pretty good Yar..
    I remember writing somewhat similar answer but not in depth.. i had written that kaise to I'll get those documents arranged so that both the purpose are solved....ethical concerns zabardasti ghused Raha tha... Your flow appears to be very lucid and that's why answer appear more convincing...bus I'm curious to know Kya time sahi me likha Tha ki you are prepared to undergo legal tangle for this case??

PS: I remember reading your answers last year and somewhat thinking ki maybe such answers ( those you had written in that thread) could only be written within the comfort of time, but with your score I was proven wrong :) .You were damn good in them, iam glad you have shown the way by sharing not only your answers but depth of thinking process.
    Thanks for creating this thread.

# HumHongeKamyab B)

Yes I wrote.. This case study i wrote in last 6 7 minutes only.. so i can't say how it was perceived by examiner.. but i write and think in this manner only.. IMO we can write such language if we can convey our viewpoint reasonably in our answer. :)
  • pizza said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Lots of improvement possible tau IMO.. u wandered in a wrong direction in a wrong paper.. the same stand could have been better expressed with a more structured and good word choice.. Ethical dimensions dekho tumne kitni k likhi h or kese likhi h.. jabardasti ethics ghusaoge to dikkat rhegi.. free mind se likhoge to better likh paoge.. or answers likho fir better analysis kr payenge :)

Don't wry you can easily score above 100 in ethics with slight understanding of basic requirements of this subject.. !!
  • bugsbunny said:

Wife beater question

Options can be many ,

Simply ignore but it will only result in more pain to the victim

Or we need to first approach the lady , understand her problem , why and what has been the issue

Than following steps can be taken

1) directly approach to the law , but again if done directly it may or may not deter the individual ,

2) a comprehensive counselling and make him understand that it's not correct , through his superiors , if that doesn't stop him than try to pressurise through his superiors on professional level , if still he doesn't stop than finally legal action has to be taken , even though it will create problems in professional relationship , but still when there is something wrong happening we can't close our eyes to it.

Please review (short he)
    ehh what's up doc!!!!

• aman131 said:

Jha tk mujhe yaad h..

Why-

Sir, is point #8 really required to be written here. I am skeptical about it whether we should go that far. Please suggest.

PS: I got only 100/250
    Sir mere writing style me mein to jaa skta hu.. you as an examiner read my answer ..hopefully u will not feel it too much offensive.. morever I write what i believe i will truly do in such situation.. ab pta nhi is br hi marks a6e aa gye kismat se ya next br bhi aayenge.. but i just know atleast average marks i will get with such stand even in worst case scenario :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog