Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Modern Indian History                                         (2) Environment & Ecology
(3) Polity, Current Affairs & Govt. Schemes            (4)Budget & Economic survey
(5) Geography with MCQ's                                        (6) Important Current Affairs
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

suggest me some minimum number of books for cse 2018 preperation please !

So hey guys . Am new to forum , and i really need some guidance so that i could try my very best in my first attempt which i am planning for 2018. I have no idea about important books as well as booklists. I had searched my own for a bit long time and all i could see is lots n lots n lots of books . What i need is few books + great rivision ! help me out !!!

Comments

• history- rajiv ahir spectrum
    geography- 6-12 ncert, gc leong
    polity- laxmikant
    economics-basic concepts from any class notes
    art & culture- nitin singhania
    environment- shankar ias
    current affairs- hindu/ IE, insights, forum
    in my opinion its sufficent i m also boost up for 2018. Always remember- read one book 10 times rather than 10 book one time.
  • mogley said:

history- rajiv ahir spectrum
    polity- laxmikant
    environment- shankar ias
    in my opinion its sufficent i m also boost up for 2018. Always remember- read one book 10 times rather than 10 book one time.

+1

First do these, then ask for another set of books. Try to finish these in 3-4 months time.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • mogley said:

polity- laxmikant
    environment- shankar ias

+100
    And also dont forget to study NCERTS! :smile:
    Current Target: Making my weakness my strength: Covering Polsci by October.
  • This is going to be a journey of patience.

You will have to read lots and lots of books if you eventually have to clear this exam. No shortcut at all.

However, you may start your journey by walking tiny steps into the ncert books.

Starting from 6th, till 12th std. Study each and every book, it will not only help you build extremely strong basics, but will also help you in clearing prelims with ease.

You have time, so don't ignore doing the above step, if your foundation is strong, you can build any type of building on it. Do the above with immense dedication and with a curiosity to learn concepts.

Only after you are done with these books, move forward to the below,
    1. Ancient history - makkhan Lal, rs Sharma and Tamil Nadu board book. Total 3 books.
    2. Art and culture - nitin "sangwan" notes. Google it you will find the pdf.
    3. Medieval history - Satish Chandra and tn board
    4. Modern history - spectrum (suggested by most) "or" bipan Chandra or shekhar bandpadhyay.

5. World physical history - ignore gc Leong, the book is extremely boring and kill away all your enthusiasm.
    World physical geography - Majid hussain. Study this book judiciously, your grip on this subject will be strong. Also you can refer to a book by Alan strahler, it's very colorful and you will find it interesting to read.
    There's a YouTube lecture series by eastern Illinois University called "without the sun" , it deals with climatology part and trust me the professor is simply brilliant. Also use YouTube extensively for better visulaization of geography concenpts.

6. Environment and ecology - Shankar is book.

7. Indian polity - laxmikanth. It's more than sufficient.

8. Economics - Ramesh Singh or any coaching material. Some will suggest advanced books, please avoid it. These will do just fine.

9. Science and tech - you will cover everything when you study 6th till 12th. No special book required.

Once you are done with first reading of all the above.

Either make short crisp notes or just highlight. Do what makes you feel comfortable, both give same type of benefit.
    What to highlight?
    Facts/concepts.

If you do this much, you will be ready with your static portion of the prelims syllabus. You will just have to keep revising your notes or the highlighted part till you remember them nicely.

Next, current affairs.
    1. Read "just one" newspaper. Make notes only for important national issues. For example, demonetization or triple talaq or smart city or swachh bharat etc. This will mainly help during mains.
    2. Download coaching material for current affairs. Monthly magazines and prelims specific material like vision 365 or insights prelims compilations etc.
    3. Download PDFs for govt schemes, reports, international institutions, committees in news etc.
    4. Ping me later in the year, I will give you other prelims related PDFs from my notes.

All the best. Feel free to inbox after June 18th.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • edited June 2017
    pizza said:

This is going to be a journey of patience.

You will have to read lots and lots of books if you eventually have to clear this exam. No shortcut at all.

Starting from 6th, till 12th std. Study each and every book, it will not only help you build extremely strong basics, but will also help you in clearing prelims with ease.

You have time, so don't ignore doing the above step, if your foundation is strong, you can build any type of building on it. Do the above with immense dedication and with a curiosity to learn concepts.

1. Ancient history - makkhan Lal, rs Sharma and Tamil Nadu board book. Total 3 books.
    4. Modern history - spectrum (suggested by most) "or" bipan Chandra or shekhar bandpadhyay.

5. World physical history - ignore gc Leong, the book is extremely boring and kill away all your enthusiasm.
    World physical geography - Majid hussain. Study this book judiciously, your grip on this subject will be strong. Also you can refer to a book by Alan strahler, it's very colorful and you will find it interesting to read.
    There's a YouTube lecture series by eastern Illinois University called "without the sun" , it deals with climatology part and trust me the professor is simply brilliant. Also use YouTube extensively for better visulaization of geography concenpts.

8. Economics - Ramesh Singh or any coaching material. Some will suggest advanced books, please avoid it. These will do just fine.

9. Science and tech - you will cover everything when you study 6th till 12th. No special book required.

Either make short crisp notes or just highlight. Do what makes you feel comfortable, both give same type of benefit.
    What to highlight?
    Facts/concepts.

If you do this much, you will be ready with your static portion of the prelims syllabus. You will just have to keep revising your notes or the highlighted part till you remember them nicely.

Next, current affairs.
    1. Read "just one" newspaper. Make notes only for important national issues. For example, demonetization or triple talaq or smart city or swachh bharat etc. This will mainly help during mains.
    2. Download coaching material for current affairs. Monthly magazines and prelims specific material like vision 365 or insights prelims compilations etc.
    3. Download PDFs for govt schemes, reports, international institutions, committees in news etc.
    4. Ping me later in the year, I will give you other prelims related PDFs from my notes.

Kaash tune yeh advice(of reading all these books) mere ko preparation phase mein ghusne se pehle di hoti!! Aata hi nahiṅ main is field mein kabhi. :D :D

#Mazak kar raha. Mind mat kar jaiyo. :D
  • mogley said:

polity- laxmikant
    environment- shankar ias

Well this is quite short. I would get my hands on it from now.
  • edited June 2017
    pizza said:

This is going to be a journey of patience.

What to highlight?
    Facts/concepts.

Next, current affairs.

Well am starting off with 6th to 12th Wala basic books. Yep , will ping you for additional information.
  • mogley said:

polity- laxmikant
    environment- shankar ias

Well this is quite short. I would get my hands on it from now.
    yes buddy, if you see any toppers interview i don't find anyone suggest different from it. Huge number of books available in market but can we read all those? and also we have to prepare optional as well and we need to good command over current issues bcs mostly mains paper depend on current issues. So i don't think we have time to read so many books. Its my opinion you may follow depends on you.
  • edited June 2017
    Books for sale:
    1.history IGNOU MA MATERIAL Rs 1200
    2.SATISH CHNADRA MEDIEVAL INDIA PART 1,2013 RS 100
    3.SATISH CHNADRA MEDIEVAL INDIA PART 2,2013 RS 50
    5.MODERN WORLD HISTORY,NORMAN LOWE, 2016 EDITION RS 350
    6.INDIAN POLITY, LAXMIKANT,4TH EDITION Rs 150
    7.HISTORY OF MEDIEVAL INDIA SATISH CHANDRA ORIENT BLACKSWAN(ncert),LATEST RS 100
    9 A HISTORY OF MODERN INDIA ISHITA BANERJEE DUBE Rs 200
    11 FRANK ISC ECONOMICS CLASS 12 RS 50
    12 INDIA'S FOREIGN POLICY VP DUTT RS 50
    13EUROPE AND THE WORLD SN SEN SECOND EDITION RS 50
    14 MEDIEVAL INDIA IRFAN HABIB RS 50
    15 NEW HORIZONS OF PUB AB MOHIT BHATTACHARYA 6TH EDITION RS 50
    16 THE PENGUIN HISTORY OF EARLY INDIA ROMILLA THAPAR RS 150
    18 THE WONDER THAT WAS INDIA PART 1 AL BASHAM RS 250
    19 PLASSEY TO PARTITION 2014 EDITION 150
    20 THE NATIONAL CULTURE OF INDIA RS 50
    21 INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPTS OF 2014, 2015 (TOTAL-194), 100
    22 QUANTATIVE APTITUDE RS 100
    23 VERBAL AND NON VERBAL RS 200
    24 GK TODAY COMPLETE CULTURE MATERIAL RS 100
    25 THEMES IN INDIAN HISTORY PART 1 ,2, 3 RS 50 EACH
    26 HISTORY CHAPTERWISE SOLVED PREVIOUS YEAR 2000-2013 RS 100
    27 SPECTRUM HISTORICAL ATLAS 2012 EDITION RS 50
    28 RAMESH SINGH 6TH EDITION RS 100
    29 ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES FROM CRIS TO CURE R RAJAGOPALAN RS 150
    30 LUCENT HINDI RS 50
    31 INDIAN ECONOMY ZULFIKAR SIR'S NOTES ECONOMICS SIMPLIFIED RS 100
    32 POLITICS IN INDIA SINCE INDEPEDENCE NCERT RS 50
    33 INDIA PEOPLE AND ECONOMY RS 50
    34FUNDAMENTALS OF HUMAN GEOGRAPHY RS 50
    36 CCRT ART AND CULTURE RS 100
    37 MODERN EUROPE AND THE WORLD (1815-1950) L MUKHERJEE RS 100
    38 ANCIENT INDIA RS SHARMA PHOTOCOPY NCERT RS 50
    39 CONSTITUTION D D BASU 21ST EDITION RS 150
    41 ECONOMIC SURVEY 2015-16 PHOTOCOPY RS 50
    42 CHRONICLE IAS ACADEMY 2014 STATIC NOTES FOR MAINS 2014 RS 500
    43 HEMAN JHA HISTORY HAND WRITTEN NOTES RS 600
    44 MODERN INDIA SUMIT SARKAR 2016 EDITION RS 150
    47 DN JHA ANCIENT HISTORY RS 50
    48 READING COMPREHENSION PRELIMS SPECIAL RS 100
    49 HISTORY OF THE WORLD ARJUN DEV ORIENT BLACKSWAN RS 80
    50 UPINDER SINGH ANCIENT HISTORY RS 250
    51 WORLD CIVILIZATION PART C RS 200
    52 INDEPENDENT INDIA FIRST FIFTY YEARS BY ICCR PHOTOCOPY RS 100
    53 SOCIOLOGY CLASS 11, 12 NCERT PHOTOCOPY 150 TOGETHER
    54 MODERN INDIA GROVER AND MEHTA RS 200
    Ping me via msg or over here.
    Special price all total 5000.place:kolkata
    CSM-2014 1st attempt-history
    CSM-2015 2nd attempt-history
    CSM-2016 3rd attempt-history
    WBCS(EXEC.),2014
  • edited June 2017

pizza said:

Kaash tune yeh advice(of reading all these books) mere ko preparation phase mein ghusne se pehle di hoti!! Aata hi nahiṅ main is field mein kabhi. :D :D

#Mazak kar raha. Mind mat kar jaiyo. :D
    This is too much ,my personal opinion is refrain

Follow booklist on unacademy
    Search google /youtube
    Basic books are
    Ncerts , ahir ,laxmikant, shankr for env. , mrunal for econmoics +ramesh arora , ancient from unacademy nd ncerts only
  • For economics try erudition +mrunal.
  • Hi friends...I am also new to upsc preparation...Thanx @pizza and @mogley for book suggestions...I am living in a very small town and most of books mentioned are not available here. Are they available online? Plz suggest good online websites to buy UPSC books..
  • hello guys , i have come across tina dabi 's videos sharing book list at ksg seminar, i have watched the videos she has shared some of the books list for preparation, guys m sharing the link...do check upsc booklist by tina dabi
  • thnk u for sharing @rohan.sehgal , she talks too much, such a wide range of books , material, etc she talked about..it will be a good thought if she give us some of the tips for the beginning level.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog