Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

How to write 150+ Essays - A crowd-sourced compendium of strategies

Please share your best practices :)

Comments

• Cosmo Bhai ache initiatives h, umeed h log ayenge
    Waise last yr - in technology replacing man, i started with excerpts from ROBOT film
    But is saal Lanka lag gyi 123 only
  • are bhai log contribute karo..
    plz put up ur marks and also what essay u wrote..
    and last me what worked...

mine 135 :/
    water dispute
    cyberspace
  • Last year got 126 only..please 140+ guys .Give some tips and suggestions.
    Pre 2016,2017
    Mains 2016
    Interview 2016
    Rank 0
  • 2015- prelims failed by 1 mark
    2016 - missed final list by 9 marks
    2017- missed final list by 4 marks
  • I got 148, attempted engendered development and cyber space. I followed Gaurav Aggarwal's blog for essay. https://thesupermanreturns.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/improving-essay-writing/
    Especially the "‘Continuity’ in Essay" part. But I feel luck factor (like examiner mood and whether he likes your opinion etc.) is also there somehow. All the best.
    BITSian '12-'16, Anthro, 2016-Mains(727), 2017-Mains*
  • I got 137 in essay. Engendered and cooperative federalism. Missed crucial points in cooperative federalism like NITI Aayog and GST. Missed transgenders altogether in engenderdd. But my structure was good. Arguments were clear and gave many examples. I suppose those points fetched marks.
    Nevertheless why not bringing up a thread where we can write and review essays. That will be very beneficial.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
  • yes we should create a thread where essay could be reviewed
  • Keep it simple, multi dimensional but put forward your point as clearly as possible. If possible make flowcharts
  • Write in simple language, try to cover maximum dimensions and give current examples,good introduction and conclude on a positive note
  • From 103 in 2015,I got 145 in 2016...Just changed few small things.
    Kept the essay very simple. Ensured that the essay had good structure. Tried to bring in as many points that I could. Width instead of depth.
  • scored 155 in essay..it was my first mains . not sure what worked but i used lot of contemporary examples and keywords . Attempted innovation wala and cyberspace
    2015: pelims p1 62
    2016: pelims p1 114 mains 726
    2017: prelims p1 116.66 (forum key)
  • edited June 2017

From 103 in 2015,I got 145 in 2016...Just changed few small things.
    Kept the essay very simple. Ensured that the essay had good structure. Tried to bring in as many points that I could. Width instead of depth.

could you tell us about some pointers about any of your cse essay. I got 2015:117 and 2016:120 :neutral: though in 2016 I thought I have written a very good essay as compared to 2015 :)
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • Writing an essay is sure one of the biggest challenge. I usually choose the topic first and then make an in-depth research on it.

Here is a website that I used to refer for practising on my essay. They have good set of information.

Thanks
    Joy
  • Though i did not got very good marks but i have improved a lot by following gaurav aggrawal sirs and siddharth jains strategy for essay.
    2015 - 74
    2016 - 140
    What i realized that essay shld be as simple as possible and it shld be in proper flow. To give continuity and flow to essay i followed gaurav aggrawals strategy. Introduction and conclusion shld good because it is the main factor in deciding marks. Give as many examples as possible.
    This has worked for me this time but i dont know will it work again.
  • What r d highest marks in essay. Any idea...
  • Not sure but found someone a above 160
  • 161.. Water disputes & cyberspace ones..
    Took vision's online test series...
    Wrote 5 tests that is 10 essays... Used to pick the topic which I knew the least about, in the tests at home... these high stress writing practice helped somehow I guess
  • drakr said:

161.. Water disputes & cyberspace ones..
    Took vision's online test series...
    Wrote 5 tests that is 10 essays... Used to pick the topic which I knew the least about, in the tests at home... these high stress writing practice helped somehow I guess

Thank you for giving a glimpse of essay
    If you can write a strategy for essay, that can be really helpful for newbies like us.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog