Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

What worked and what didn't

I have been a forum member since 3 years and believe me I have mostly been a watcher, I have seen as soon as the results are declared there is no thread for future and present aspirants to get guidance from seniors as to what and how to prepare

I have been in upsc game for 3 years albeit half hearted prep I request all those who have made it into final list and those who didn't please share some tips on what to do and most importantly what not to do this will serve as a beacon to the aspirants both veterans and freshers to navigate the stormy sea of UPSC.

I know some of you might see this and say well I am happy(or sad) right now not my problem who prepares what but please understand not all of us are in delhi and not all can meet seniors and you were also a fresher one day contribute to this thread and you might get something valuable

@DrKingSchultz sir thank you for guiding me, when I heard that upsc results were out my sincere prayer was that you should be on the list, seeing you out made me sad. I am not in a position to advise you but only I say this "who dares wins"

First contribution: while preparing for upsc procrastination will be such a killer you won't even know what hit you until significant time has passed study as if exam is next month

More on the way as they come to me
·

Comments

• @DrKingSchultz @Neyawn please make this an announcement atleast this can be one stop for people's doubts
    ·
  • just let ppl come to terms with their results..

ek. din ruk jao..

·
  • it is tough for people to see they failed, let them take time to come to terms and contemplate, introspect

ones who cleared are flocked, so no one will be logging on to the forum soon :smile:
    Mankind was corrupt from the time of Adam & eve, why complain now :) || कांथर हुनु भन्दा मर्नु राम्रो || वीर भोग्या वसुंधरा
    ·
  • Luck worked, bad luck didn't.
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
    ·
  • Already chisel and hammer in hand. Ready to carve out idols of new Gods. Gods for this year. And then newer.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    https://twitter.com/JFL_Kingslayer
    https://jflkingslayer.blogspot.in/
    jlkingslayer@gmail.com
    ·
  • Already chisel and hammer in hand. Ready to carve out idols of new Gods. Gods for this year. And then newer.

Any Economics deity from forumias selected ??
    | Economics Optional |
    ·
  • handshake said:

Luck worked, bad luck didn't.

+10000000000
    ·
  • As a person who didn't qualify, I think we should wait for the marks to come to make a better assessment.
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017
    Mains - 2016 | 2017
    Interview - 2016
    Final list - X
    ·
  • The North remembers
    ·
  • wolfpack said:

I have been a forum member since 3 years and believe me I have mostly been a watcher, I have seen as soon as the results are declared there is no thread for future and present aspirants to get guidance from seniors as to what and how to prepare

First contribution: while preparing for upsc procrastination will be such a killer you won't even know what hit you until significant time has passed study as if exam is next month

So ready for full throttle for 2018?
    1st attempt - 2018, Optional Med Sc
    ·
  • over_lord said:
    Where are IFoS pre cutoffs??
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    https://twitter.com/JFL_Kingslayer
    https://jflkingslayer.blogspot.in/
    jlkingslayer@gmail.com
    ·
  • over_lord said:
    Where are IFoS pre cutoffs??
    130+ hona chahiye as per my prediction
    ·
  • wolfpack said:

I have been in upsc game for 3 years albeit half hearted prep I request all those who have made it into final list and those who didn't please share some tips on what to do and most importantly what not to do this will serve as a beacon to the aspirants both veterans and freshers to navigate the stormy sea of UPSC.

I know some of you might see this and say well I am happy(or sad) right now not my problem who prepares what but please understand not all of us are in delhi and not all can meet seniors and you were also a fresher one day contribute to this thread and you might get something valuable

@DrKingSchultz sir thank you for guiding me, when I heard that upsc results were out my sincere prayer was that you should be on the list, seeing you out made me sad. I am not in a position to advise you but only I say this "who dares wins"

A simple and plain advice from me :- NEVER ever write UPSC Exam with half-hearted approach/preparation. Here I would like to clarify that INADEQUATE preparation is a different thing and one might justify writing the exams with inadequate prep in 1st attempt. But, if you intend to appear in 2nd or subsequent attempts with inadequate/half-hearted preparation, then you are bluffing not only yourself, but your family, friends and others too who have a hope from you.

Another piece of advice (for freshers)- Don't make any fragmented aim. What i mean is that don't try to think of Pre & Mains in isolation. Clearing Prelims is not going to add any kind of value to your life.(Clearing Mains and getting Interview Call may help you in many things though !). You will have to understand that Main is as essential as Pre and vice-versa. You need to hit both in single cycle of attempt and count your 1st(and so on..) as your LAST attempt.

PS- Confession of my bluff enclosed here- I have written 2 mains and now i realize that i have been stuck in this pre-mains-result-waiting cycle for past 3 years. I have not been able to clear mains single time because I never got the confidence of full preparation or atleast 100% efforts from my side. Just preparing seriously for approx 3.5 months(Prelims results-to-Mains exam) and depending on sheer luck that it would get me through, was indeed an act of bluffing myself. I really regret those times and now repent to set the clock right. I have decided that I should skip this year and write next year with full strength and as last attempt.
    ·
  • over_lord said:
    is this official or fake creation ?
    ·
  • @dmsahab yes right on one has to take this exam as a whole unit instead of parts because clearing any one will not be enough
    ·
  • Please keep this thread alive even if you add one line it is appreciated
    ·
  • Yr forest ki pre ki kya cut off hai plz tell
    ·
  • over_lord said:
    is this official or fake creation ?
    Seriously 116 prelims ka cut off ? Mere toh kabhi mock mein bhi itne nahin aaye yr
    Sab yeh sochte hai ki hero woh hota hai joh jeetta hai.
    mera yeh manana hai ki hero woh hai joh haarta hai ... kyun ki wohi jaanta hai jeetne ki asli value!
    ·
  • High cut off worked and low didn't!! :D :D
    ·
  • Koching wallahs exaggerating the importance of writing too many test series has didn't work. This exam is not logical. Anyone is bound to saturate after writing 10-15 tests. Writing test is not directly proportional guaranteed selection.
    ·
  • Yes, luck and fortune works...

Even though I cleared and got decent rank, I'll credit 40-50% of my success to good luck...

It may sound odd to many forumites but my horoscope also predicted very good fortune for me this year. Luckily, my interview date and time were also very auspicious for me. I also did a 16 Monday fast praying for my success since last Mahashivratri. I personally strongly believe that these things matter too. A lot.
    CSM 2015 | CSE 2016 - Ranked it Out!!
    Thank Lord Shiva...
    ·
  • dmsahab said:

wolfpack said:

A simple and plain advice from me :- NEVER ever write UPSC Exam with half-hearted approach/preparation. Here I would like to clarify that INADEQUATE preparation is a different thing and one might justify writing the exams with inadequate prep in 1st attempt. But, if you intend to appear in 2nd or subsequent attempts with inadequate/half-hearted preparation, then you are bluffing not only yourself, but your family, friends and others too who have a hope from you.

Another piece of advice (for freshers)- Don't make any fragmented aim. What i mean is that don't try to think of Pre & Mains in isolation. Clearing Prelims is not going to add any kind of value to your life.(Clearing Mains and getting Interview Call may help you in many things though !). You will have to understand that Main is as essential as Pre and vice-versa. You need to hit both in single cycle of attempt and count your 1st(and so on..) as your LAST attempt.

PS- Confession of my bluff enclosed here- I have written 2 mains and now i realize that i have been stuck in this pre-mains-result-waiting cycle for past 3 years. I have not been able to clear mains single time because I never got the confidence of full preparation or atleast 100% efforts from my side. Just preparing seriously for approx 3.5 months(Prelims results-to-Mains exam) and depending on sheer luck that it would get me through, was indeed an act of bluffing myself. I really regret those times and now repent to set the clock right. I have decided that I should skip this year and write next year with full strength and as last attempt.
    Well calculated, fair and wise decision. But ensure that you stay connected to the exam.
    ·
  • Koching wallahs exaggerating the importance of writing too many test series has didn't work. This exam is not logical. Anyone is bound to saturate after writing 10-15 tests. Writing test is not directly proportional guaranteed selection.

+1000000000
    ·
  • One of my known friend did not get select this time (3rd Interview in a row- always marks less in interview ). He already started a institute in Bangalore. He genuinely good in academic record so now he wants to help others.
    If anyone interested to give classes in his institute, can contact (should be good in teaching and sincere one)
    If any qualified candidate is available in Bangalore, he wants them also for one lecture as motivation to his students. He will welcome.

For contact details PM me and I will share name of institute and contact details.

I have not shared institute name here as otherwise some will think I am promoting his institute.

Join him if you want to remain in this civil service field. Thank you!
    ·
  • IMHO, 'being yourself' works...

Just be open, candid, honest and may be politically incorrect at times. It truly works. Sheds a lot of unecessary baggage from our brain.

I know, most of us are engineers and doctors and carry with us that argumentative middle-class, liberal-democratic superiority complex!! We should try getting out of that individualist, seen-all, done-all, "The-Hindu-editorial" character and just be honest and candid and accomodative at times.
    How about being run-of-the-mill sometimes... Until we succeed, at least...
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog