Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Philosophy performance in 2016

Plz provide info
·

Comments

• @yoga123 ma'am are you rank 311..??
    ·
  • mere khayal me wahi hain
    Prelims - 3, Mains - 2*, Interview - 0.
    ·
  • SAVITAR said:

@yoga123 ma'am are you rank 311..??

Yes.
    Discovery.
    ·
  • @yoga123 mam Philosophy k liye aap kch likh dijiye time nikal k
    ·
  • @yoga123 mam Philosophy k liye aap kch likh dijiye time nikal k

My score seems pathetic. Hardly any point
    Discovery.
    ·
  • Philosophy is gone this tym
    ·
  • i too think philosophy has been butchered this time,very very few in the list
    journey of 1000 miles starts with single step
    ·
  • edited June 1
    Philosophy paper was little tough this time.
    Also, I think, UPSC has stopped taking Mitra-Patanjali-VVR-3 Month chits as a legitimate philosophy answer.
    I get this sense from the nature of questions and also from the results. I know a couple of guys who have got into IAS with Philosophy. They were Philosophers. They had that abstract philosophical knack. And they refused to attach a negative attitudinal stigma to the words such as philosopher, Philosophy etc. As far as I know, one of them had 280 something in Philosophy. And his interview was also around Philosophy esp existentialism.
    ·
  • forward said:

Philosophy paper was little tough this time.
    Also, I think, UPSC has stopped taking Mitra-Patanjali-VVR-3 Month chits as a legitimate philosophy answer.
    I get this sense from the nature of questions and also from the results. I know a couple of guys who have got into IAS with Philosophy. They were Philosophers. They had that abstract philosophical knack. And they refused to attach a negative attitudinal stigma to the words such as philosopher, Philosophy etc. As far as I know, one of them had 280 something in Philosophy. And his interview was also around Philosophy esp existentialism.

bhai aapka kya raha

You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
    ·
  • Lagta hai Mitra-Patanjali kafi ho kya ab...khud philosophy padhne ki bari hai ab
    ·
  • Patanjali wala just uploaded some ranks 31,88,132,200.philo result doent look good and honestly just like forward bhai said i dont have any knack for philo so might change optional.

You wouldn't like me when i'm angry Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources. |Philosophy|
    ·
  • thehulk said:

Patanjali wala just uploaded some ranks 31,88,132,200.philo result doent look good and honestly just like forward bhai said i dont have any knack for philo so might change optional.

Bhai we need to eat drink and merry with our subject. No matter which subject we chose. Its good in a way that notes ratne se kam nahi chalega. People will not take philosophy thinking that 500 pages ka notes hi to padhna hai.
    ·
  • 31 n 132 rank do not have philo , one has his n other geo
    ·
  • 88 also does not have philo but History.
    ·
  • I dont know bhai he has put up poctures on his fb page.may be they did diferent things from this institute...
    ·
  • thehulk said:

I dont know bhai he has put up poctures on his fb page.may be they did diferent things from this institute...

He did indeed. But changed optional.
    ·
  • edited June 1
    Philosophy is an amazing optional.
    Personally I have enjoyed it through and through. And still love reading more of it. Sometimes I even gone out of syllabus for the love of issues discussed.
    For example, I am in the middle of Brothers Karamazov which is considered to be the greatest work of Dostoevsky.
    It is not part of sylabus, but that should not be our only consideration. Rather, if you read one original work of a Kafka or a Dostoevsky, you get the entire theme of existentialism in your blood. And that not just reflects in your Essay, GS, Ethics and Philosophy answers, but also in your daily life, decisions, attitudes and personal relations.

Problem is not in the optional. Problem is in the cut-short approach which has been fed by coaching institutes. The subject demands readers that love and respect it, readers who are willing to put in the required due time and effort.

A good measure to judge your maturity and graduation in the optional is when your reading and understanding reaches a position where you not just understand what the thinker has said, but also you have your 'original' comparative critique of the same.

It is the spirit of @stonecold_srivastav which is needed. Make merry with your subject. And trust you me, you have got a subject which is genuinely worth making merry with. It is far more charming than prettiest of girlfriend. No other optional-study can be so cutting and truthful. Most other optionals are interpretations of being. Philosophy is study of being as it is. All other optionals are packagings, philosophy is unpacking. It is opposite path, the less taken. Enjoy it, through and through!!

You may love Philosophy and not opt for it.
    You may opt for it and yet not have any love for it, which is the problem case.
    ·
  • forward said:

Philosophy is an amazing optional.
    Personally I have enjoyed it through and through. And still love reading more of it. Sometimes I even gone out of syllabus for the love of issues discussed.
    For example, I am in the middle of Brothers Karamazov which is considered to be the greatest work of Dostoevsky.
    It is not part of sylabus, but that should not be our only consideration. Rather, if you read one original work of a Kafka or a Dostoevsky, you get the entire theme of existentialism in your blood. And that not just reflects in your Essay, GS, Ethics and Philosophy answers, but also in your daily life, decisions, attitudes and personal relations.

Problem is not in the optional. Problem is in the cut-short approach which has been fed by coaching institutes. The subject demands readers that love and respect it, readers who are willing to put in the required due time and effort.

A good measure to judge your maturity and graduation in the optional is when your reading and understanding reaches a position where you not just understand what the thinker has said, but also you have your 'original' comparative critique of the same.

It is the spirit of @stonecold_srivastav which is needed. Make merry with your subject. And trust you me, you have got a subject which is genuinely worth making merry with. It is far more charming than prettiest of girlfriend. No other optional-study can be so cutting and truthful. Most other optionals are interpretations of being. Philosophy is study of being as it is. All other optionals are packagings, philosophy is unpacking. It is opposite path, the less taken. Enjoy it, through and through!!

You may love Philosophy and not opt for it.
    You may opt for it and yet not have any love for it, which is the problem case.

Much like Husserl's critic of natural standpoint..lol..you have studied philosophy as a rigorous science
    ·
  • edited June 1
    @stonecold_srivastav:

It is another question of Philosophy that what Philosophy 'is'.
    What is the 'being' of Philosophy?
    What it is to 'be' Philosophy?

I say that we cannot assign same horizontal category to Philosophy in which Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Social Sciences etc are placed. Philosophy is a 'category of categories'.

For example:

1. In Shankar, Yoga, Buddha, Aristo, Plato etc, Philosophy becomes a science of reduction where continuous backward steps are taken to locate the last reductant/substance.

2. In existentialism, Philosophy becomes a combination of Ethics (what 'ought' to be done) and literature.
    I include literature as most existentialist text has come in form of literature.
    Also, was fascinated to read Premchand recently. I would say that Premchand was much an existentialist like Tolstoy or Camu who has tried to bring out dilemmas of human situation through literature.

3. In Russel, EW, Moore etc, Philosophy becomes maths-like objective.

4. In Hegel, Philosophy becomes a 'speculative exercise' where man tries to locate reason in existence.
    This is exact opposite to existentialist who find existence as meaningless/absurd/reasonless/irrational.

5. In Kant, Brentano, Husserl and Jung, Philosophy becomes a kind of foundational psychology.

So Philosophy appears to me like a category of study which in itself includes various other above mentioned categories.
    ·
  • forward said:

@stonecold_srivastav:

It is another question of Philosophy that what Philosophy 'is'.
    What is the 'being' of Philosophy?
    What it is to 'be' Philosophy?

I say that we cannot assign same horizontal category to Philosophy in which Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Social Sciences etc are placed. Philosophy is a 'category of categories'.

For example:

1. In Shankar, Yoga, Buddha, Aristo, Plato etc, Philosophy becomes a science of reduction where continuous backward steps are taken to locate the last reductant/substance.

2. In existentialism, Philosophy becomes a combination of Ethics (what 'ought' to be done) and literature.
    I include literature as most existentialist text has come in form of literature.
    Also, was fascinated to read Premchand recently. I would say that Premchand was much an existentialist like Tolstoy or Camu who has tried to bring out dilemmas of human situation through literature.

3. In Russel, EW, Moore etc, Philosophy becomes maths-like objective.

4. In Hegel, Philosophy becomes a 'speculative exercise' where man tries to locate reason in existence.
    This is exact opposite to existentialist who find existence as meaningless/absurd/reasonless/irrational.

5. In Kant, Brentano, Husserl and Jung, Philosophy becomes a kind of foundational psychology.

So Philosophy appears to me like a category of study which in itself includes various other above mentioned categories.

Insightful...where do you place LW?
    ·
  • edited June 1
    people try to showoff their knowledge once they get high rank except few questions all were doable in both philosophy papers this year if someone have conceptual clarity. If UPSC has decided to butcher any optional then nothing can be done.
    got bad 794 rank(OBC) not due to lack of knowledge but butchering of my optional.
    people in other optional like geo and anthro with average writeup and even after leaving about 50 marks are in list with decent rank.
    IRTS2017 by CSM 2016 (present service)
    RBI Grade B Manager 2017
    ·
  • sahi kaha bhai aapne
    ·
  • gariyan said:

people try to showoff their knowledge once they get high rank except few questions all were doable in both philosophy papers this year if someone have conceptual clarity. If UPSC has decided to butcher any optional then nothing can be done.
    got bad 794 rank(OBC) not due to lack of knowledge but butchering of my optional.
    people in other optional like geo and anthro with average writeup and even after leaving about 50 marks are in list with decent rank.

haan yar...conceptual clarity k liye hi notes k upar jana pad raha hai
    ·
  • gariyan said:

Congratulations Sir for getting into the final list.
    One thing i fail to understand is that why Philosophy's performance is going downside year by year. Or why even Philo. would be butchered?? I mean unlike some humanities subject, Philosophy has not seen any huge upsurge in No. of takers. I believe No. of takers has been constant through out last 3-4 years. The nature of Questions has evolved but it has happened across all optionals. So why this unfair treatment by upsc?
    ·
  • If one has read Mitra-pantanjali-vvr, it will certainly help. But understanding-depth, subject-vocab and philosophical expression is gained only by good original readings of university Philosophy books.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog