MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

One stop thread for working Professional - balancing full time Work vs UPSC Preparation

Hi Guys,

UPSC preparation is in itself challenging, however, it becomes a pain when someone has to manage it with their full time work. It's like living in worst of 2 worlds.
Like many aspirants I have also been juggling the two but I have been doing this for sometime with the help of few enlightened folks like @mango_dolly sir. Many people have PMed during my preparation about how to manage both. That's why I am opening a new thread for guidance and discussions on work and UPSC preparation specially in these crucial 5 months

PS: Mods in case if there is no other FTW vs upsc preparation. Kindly don't close it :)
The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats

Comments

• Please go ahead...
    it will matter in the end...definitely..
  • edited May 13
    My learning from experience with CSE so far
    1. Play dumb- Show you are trying but unable to get complex work done done
    2. If in Private sector don't disclose your Civils plan with anyone
    3. Always be out of Manager's radar
    4. If you are from Tier 1 colleges - stop following what your batchmates are doing which company and what CTC - limit your social media presence
    5. Don't be too aggressive in your career --> if you are a MBA grad Join IT and ITes industry that too a bulk hiring company rather than core industry or other sectors
    6. Maximize the peace time from Dec to March - write answer, revise, plan, make concise notes
    7. Don't get frustrated if are unable to give more hours for study even people in their full time preparation can't manage more than 8-9 quality hours
    8. Before quitting the job - you should have proven yourself atleast once by either making it mains or interview of the previous year - quitting before Prelims for any job that pays more than Rs 40 K/month could be a foolish step
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • edited May 14
    Currently reading : Flashboys by Michael Lewis; The Whisperers by Orlando Figes
    Last read : Return of a King by Dalrymple; The Emperor of all Maladies
  • How many productive hours do you guys get at your disposal? My morning hours are invariably linked with job, and I can't study at night. ~_~
  • 5 hrs on weekdays and 10 hrs on weekends
  • 5 hrs on weekdays and 10 hrs on weekends

5 hrs how?
    thats commendable!
  • kashmir said:

5 hrs on weekdays and 10 hrs on weekends

5 hrs how?
    thats commendable!
    Mann marr ke padh ta hu.naukari bhi nahi chod sakte kyunki exam ka bharosa nahi hai
  • edited May 15
    Wakaao said:

How many productive hours do you guys get at your disposal? My morning hours are invariably linked with job, and I can't study at night. ~_~

depends on mood :s
    Currently reading : Flashboys by Michael Lewis; The Whisperers by Orlando Figes
    Last read : Return of a King by Dalrymple; The Emperor of all Maladies
  • kashmir said:

5 hrs on weekdays and 10 hrs on weekends

5 hrs how?
    thats commendable!
    Mann marr ke padh ta hu.naukari bhi nahi chod sakte kyunki exam ka bharosa nahi hai
    subah uth k ya raat ko jaag k?
    kaise manage krte ho yar?
    kuch sikhao
  • what are the best jobs to do during UPSC prep?
    or
    which jobs will offer much time for UPSC prep?
  • be Gangadhar in office and Shaktiman at home while preparation .
    stay close to office . try to write a blog to explain a topic in office . this way you will be engaged googling and finding relevant information . if in a hectic job then just move away and find easier job , no point juggling prep and job
  • I work in PSU. I want leave for mains. Pls suggest innovative ideas.

Backpain reason,medical leave.. So that even in case they send you for second opinion. You can fake

Depends on no of days. Stress migraines/back pain/sciatica
    You have decided to walk a path curved like a question mark, sweet child, it will only lead to more questions. You're not a day dreamer, let your light clarify this blurred world.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog