[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Regular Coaching or Distance Learning ?

edited May 11 in Preparation FAQs
What are the possible percentage of selection for the IAS aspirants preparing from Distance Mode?
·

Comments

• No coachibg is requried if u can have the dicipline
    Follow guides of mrunal and unacademy
    ·
  • Selection does not depend upon coaching. In fact, coaching institutes reduce the success chances of 'bright' students by teaching superficial, trivial, irrelevant things.

What u need is guidance and for that u need to trust someone who is ready to guide u. Freshers first don't trust any one and rush to coaching institutes, but later they realize that coaching institutes just simply ' robbed' them of their time , energy and money.

People get selected on their own. They join some coaching institutes during their initial stage of preparation out of unawareness or out of the desire to follow the herd, but get frustrated with them later. In their later attempts, they gain maturity and wisdom and depend entirely on self study, and succeed. But since the coaching inst have their names in their database, even after 5-6 years if the aspirant gets success, they claim their success shamelessly.

This is the ground reality.

If you need some more such insights, feel free to ask me ( a veteran aspirant).
    ·
  • I suggested many fresher aspirants not to join coaching institutes for GS, but no one listened to me, but after their classes were over, all of them conceded that I was right in suggesting them to not to join coaching inst, including Vajiram. But ab pachhtaye kya hot jab chidiya chug gayi khet. This is what happens.
    ·
  • suggest me some institutes who are providing good material in distance learning..
    ·
  • seema123 said:

suggest me some institutes who are providing good material in distance learning..

Distance learning , as in video classes ?
    As far as material is concerned , everything is available in photocopy shops of ORN , (tgey curiour too) @seema123
    ·
  • yea..they are providing the material, and u will easily get some sections of vajiram notes in the market also but if this is ur first attempt then u should take coaching guidance.

·
  • No need of Coaching ...and no need of Distance Learning as well..Read basic Books and newspaper and notes of Coaching if required...
    Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
    ·
  • Coachings do magic to you. I have never attended any but last month i came across a guy from a renowned coaching, i asked how is preparation going for pre? He said all finished. Me(WTH) so how much you are scoring in mocks? He said i dnt write tests, sometimes i refer to tests with my friends. He was so chilled out and relaxed, dnt knw which magic pill coachings give to their students. He was in that coaching for last two years and still havent decided the optional, was saying abhi pre aur pakka karna hai. Loot macha rkhi h coaching waalon ne but not their mistake, jb log baithe hai katne ke liye then why not, simple economics.
    ·
  • All these ppl who r saying no coaching required would have taken classes.. so do go for basics atleast
    ·
  • Selection does not depend upon coaching. In fact, coaching institutes reduce the success chances of 'bright' students by teaching superficial, trivial, irrelevant things.

What u need is guidance and for that u need to trust someone who is ready to guide u. Freshers first don't trust any one and rush to coaching institutes, but later they realize that coaching institutes just simply ' robbed' them of their time , energy and money.

People get selected on their own. They join some coaching institutes during their initial stage of preparation out of unawareness or out of the desire to follow the herd, but get frustrated with them later. In their later attempts, they gain maturity and wisdom and depend entirely on self study, and succeed. But since the coaching inst have their names in their database, even after 5-6 years if the aspirant gets success, they claim their success shamelessly.

Sorry to interfer Sir. Aspirants love and like to follow Topppers blindly, and somehow most have joined this or that coaching so they take this as mantra and dont wanna risk plus lot more discipline, environment stuff is there.

And don't mind when u write, veteran aspirant, frshers first query comes as what took u so long if u were doing all perfectly as u think ? Convincing is the answer Sir.

P.S- Myself fresher, and may not go fr Coaching. But must fr optional. Never heard many say optional can be taken care on your own.
    ·
  • Vemana said:

All these ppl who r saying no coaching required would have taken classes.. so do go for basics atleast

·
  • vivekias said:

Selection does not depend upon coaching. In fact, coaching institutes reduce the success chances of 'bright' students by teaching superficial, trivial, irrelevant things.

Sorry to interfer Sir. Aspirants love and like to follow Topppers blindly, and somehow most have joined this or that coaching so they take this as mantra and dont wanna risk plus lot more discipline, environment stuff is there.

And don't mind when u write, veteran aspirant, frshers first query comes as what took u so long if u were doing all perfectly as u think ? Convincing is the answer Sir.

P.S- Myself fresher, and may not go fr Coaching. But must fr optional. Never heard many say optional can be taken care on your own.
    with time u will get the answer u r seeking on ur own. Time teaches everything.
    ·
  • I agree with you Vemana, my only aim is to be an IAS...m very passionate about it. I am thinking to join the foundation course to clear my basics. name some good coaching institutes in Delhi (south ex).
    ·
  • seema123 said:

I agree with you Vemana, my only aim is to be an IAS...m very passionate about it. I am thinking to join the foundation course to clear my basics. name some good coaching institutes in Delhi (south ex).

basics need to be done from books....coaching for GS is only a psychological need.
    ·
  • edited May 20
    No fresher has ever listened to any advice, cz they follow the crowd, they havn't undergone the experience yet.

But bright aspirants later do admit that joining a coaching for GS was not required, and their time was wasted.

But avg or below avg aspirants don't have the capacity to even analyse, so they praise coaching inst.

Some aspirants just join coaching for fun, or to make some group/frnds, some do it cz they get bored in room reading alone, some join cz they feel directionless doing self study, some join it under peer or family pressure, some join cz they lack confidence to do self study.

As we know, UPSC prep is not just a serious thing to do, for bright aspirants, its a HOBBY, TOURISM, ENTERTAINMENT for the majority avg or below avg or simply dull aspirants who come to Delhi. So views of such people are very gd about coaching inst. :D

·
  • No fresher has ever listened to any advice, cz they follow the crowd, they havn't undergone the experience yet.

But bright aspirants later do admit that joining a coaching for GS was not required, and their time was wasted.

But avg or below avg aspirants don't have the capacity to even analyse, so they praise coaching inst.

Some aspirants just join coaching for fun, or to make some group/frnds, some do it cz they get bored in room reading alone, some join cz they feel directionless doing self study, some join it under peer or family pressure, some join cz they lack confidence to do self study.

As we know, UPSC prep is not just a serious thing to do, for bright aspirants, its a HOBBY, TOURISM, ENTERTAINMENT for the majority avg or below avg or simply dull aspirants who come to Delhi. So views of such people are very gd about coaching inst. :D

With all u have written, What is bright, below average kindda aspirants?? UPSC is all about ur efforts u put in. No scope for talent here. Or talent of putting ur efforts. And yes express ur view, but then dont drag it as if all successful guys regret joining. And u never know, what would work for one, may not work for other.

Just my perosnal opinion..
    ·
  • edited May 20
    vivekias said:

No fresher has ever listened to any advice, cz they follow the crowd, they havn't undergone the experience yet.

With all u have written, What is bright, below average kindda aspirants?? UPSC is all about ur efforts u put in. No scope for talent here. Or talent of putting ur efforts. And yes express ur view, but then dont drag it as if all successful guys regret joining. And u never know, what would work for one, may not work for other.

with all ur comment on all the threads, it can be easily inferred that u r a child now...take ur time...grow up...and plzz dont cmment on my commnts...thats q rqst....
    ·
  • vivekias said:

with all ur comment on all the threads, it can be easily inferred that u r a child now...take ur time...grow up...and plzz dont cmment on my commnts...thats q rqst....
    I was thinking the same when i read his comments. I was like that once.
    ·
  • vivekias said:

I was thinking the same when i read his comments. I was like that once.
    Hehe..everyone is..dats y i called him a 'child' and not a 'fool'.
    ·
  • I think coaching is not neccessary, if u are that much passionate about yur goal and as u said, " my only aim is to become an IAS" just understand the pattern of upsc first then collect the material under different names , as per yur requiremnt...and organise yourself in a well prepared study plan, this might b difficult but after few weeks you will adapt to it. all the best.
    ·
  • vernica said:

I think coaching is not neccessary, if u are that much passionate about yur goal and as u said, " my only aim is to become an IAS" just understand the pattern of upsc first then collect the material under different names , as per yur requiremnt...and organise yourself in a well prepared study plan, this might b difficult but after few weeks you will adapt to it. all the best.

exactly.
    ·
  • i think i shud visit some institute for counselling, so that i can get a better vision. thank u ol fr your suggestions.
    ·
  • Almost all of preachers and selected candidates join some coaching class. it is not only about knowledge, It will be helpful to organize yourself, there are many hidden benefits. So join coaching insti at-least for 2-3 months.
    ·
  • Set the target and then crack the goal ....its old line......write now ....9 lakhs students are preparing ..ias ..exam ..any every years maximum 800 student crack the examination so without ...guidenes and without planning u can't crack ias exam ....
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog