Byju's Classes / Online Coaching

Hi Aspirants / Mentors

I would like to join by Byju's IAS Tablet Course, could you please share your reviews about their classes and material.

who is the best online coaching providers for UPSC CSE since i am available in Bahrain only.

Regards

Comments

• While I will not be able to review their course and study material , it is likely that you may not find very favourable feedback for the course.

This may be because people in Delhi still study the old way, and do not resort to tablet courses as such.

Secondly, the Civil Services Syllabus is so dynamic that it is difficult to cover it in a video course that is not updated regularly.

I would suggest you to understand the exam process first, the instead of preparing for Civil Services Exam, break down the problem statement into

1) How to prepare for CS Mains
    1.1) GS Paper 1 - World History, Geography, Sociology Part, etc
    1.2) GS Paper 2 - Polity Part - Static and Polity Dynamic, IR
    1.3) GS Paper 3 - Economy , S & T, - Static and Dynamic Issues
    1.4 ) GS Paper 4 - Ethics

2) How to prepare for Prelims
    Again, Polity, Economy, geography, History, Environment etc.

You will be doing (2) after December and doing ( 1) today.

Along with that you will have to do current Affairs from the Newspaper. You can follow the 9 PM Brief ( Google It ) for daily updates and Mains Marathon 2017. It will give you some perspective.

Dig a little thorugh the threads and ask specific question.

While the Tablet may be good, it may not solve your problem for Civil Services preparation, as you may need a human to guide you. This usually is a teacher in a coaching Institute. On Forum, try to make friends with ppl preparing for 2018 , discuss and ask what they are doing - especially those in Delhi ( tons of people here ) and try to do that.

Feel free to ass specific questions.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • My specific question is regarding module classes. I have gone through many threads which talked about relevance of gs coaching in the current pattern. They all seem to point out that coaching only provides structure, discipline, extrinsic motivation and a peer group. I have also observed that coaching classes mostly do not cover every subject and they seem to suck at most of them. Only 2-3 subjects are taught in a way that can be classified as passable. So is modular classes a way out? Considering the fact that I do not need coaching for all subjects, i can probably do a module or two and save my 1 lakh maybe? :pensive: I do have a peer group, and joining module will solve the discipline part as well.
    @Neyawn
  • My specific question is regarding module classes. I have gone through many threads which talked about relevance of gs coaching in the current pattern. They all seem to point out that coaching only provides structure, discipline, extrinsic motivation and a peer group. I have also observed that coaching classes mostly do not cover every subject and they seem to suck at most of them. Only 2-3 subjects are taught in a way that can be classified as passable. So is modular classes a way out? Considering the fact that I do not need coaching for all subjects, i can probably do a module or two and save my 1 lakh maybe? :pensive: I do have a peer group, and joining module will solve the discipline part as well.
    @Neyawn

If you have at all moved to Delhi, do join at least one class at least for the habit and the discipline. Do not join too many classes, but keep at least one class - be it your optional or some GS module or some Test Series ( which you appear for) , or you may may drift very very far away from preparation without realizing it.

Secondly, identify your key goal very clearly. The goal is not to save 1 lakh, the goal is to cover the syllabus as wisely as possible with as many classes as possible that are required, but no more. This you will try to achieve at a minimum cost possible.

If you change the priority of your goals, you will end up not meeting any of them. If you have moved to Delhi, make sure that whatever resources you have, by which I mean - time and money are spent mostly on education. For example, your rent and cost of living overall should not be more than 40% of the total cost of your stay. This means that you should spend 60% of your budget on education . Else, you end up being the guy, who left his 8 lakh per annum job, came to Delhi with savings of 2-3 lakhs rupees, didnt do any classes or coaching , but spend 15k on rent + 5k on food and others = 20k per month , and took no classes, to save that 1 lakh.

I mean be wise how you use your resources. If you plan to do this, do not come to Delhi. Its cheaper to stay at home, and do things in the online mode.

What I told you above, may not be something you had thought of before as such budgeting is generally done by people who come after leaving their jobs and using their savings, not by fresh pass-outs who are sponsored by parents.

So make your choices wisely. Honestly, if you are able to write in your own handwriting, class notes of 2 coachings, you dont need coaching. But if you dont have that discipline or lack will power, by all means take some classes where you will end up at least finishing making notes.

Then make use of those notes.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Neyawn said:

My specific question is regarding module classes. I have gone through many threads which talked about relevance of gs coaching in the current pattern. They all seem to point out that coaching only provides structure, discipline, extrinsic motivation and a peer group. I have also observed that coaching classes mostly do not cover every subject and they seem to suck at most of them. Only 2-3 subjects are taught in a way that can be classified as passable. So is modular classes a way out? Considering the fact that I do not need coaching for all subjects, i can probably do a module or two and save my 1 lakh maybe? :pensive: I do have a peer group, and joining module will solve the discipline part as well.
    @Neyawn

If you have at all moved to Delhi, do join at least one class at least for the habit and the discipline. Do not join too many classes, but keep at least one class - be it your optional or some GS module or some Test Series ( which you appear for) , or you may may drift very very far away from preparation without realizing it.

Secondly, identify your key goal very clearly. The goal is not to save 1 lakh, the goal is to cover the syllabus as wisely as possible with as many classes as possible that are required, but no more. This you will try to achieve at a minimum cost possible.

If you change the priority of your goals, you will end up not meeting any of them. If you have moved to Delhi, make sure that whatever resources you have, by which I mean - time and money are spent mostly on education. For example, your rent and cost of living overall should not be more than 40% of the total cost of your stay. This means that you should spend 60% of your budget on education . Else, you end up being the guy, who left his 8 lakh per annum job, came to Delhi with savings of 2-3 lakhs rupees, didnt do any classes or coaching , but spend 15k on rent + 5k on food and others = 20k per month , and took no classes, to save that 1 lakh.

I mean be wise how you use your resources. If you plan to do this, do not come to Delhi. Its cheaper to stay at home, and do things in the online mode.

What I told you above, may not be something you had thought of before as such budgeting is generally done by people who come after leaving their jobs and using their savings, not by fresh pass-outs who are sponsored by parents.

So make your choices wisely. Honestly, if you are able to write in your own handwriting, class notes of 2 coachings, you dont need coaching. But if you dont have that discipline or lack will power, by all means take some classes where you will end up at least finishing making notes.

Then make use of those notes.

thankyou for the detailed reply @Neyawn
    if I join a module for gs-2, do economics from mrunal, the only subjects I am missing out on are history and geography, for which I feel coaching is redundant, and also some other topics (like IR, Ethics, S&T) which are not taught properly even in vajiram.( so I have heard).
    Do you know about the good and the bad faculties of vajiram?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog