MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

What are the good coaching options for Economics Optional in New Delhi?

Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of a few friends who shave reached me to seek an opinion on Economics Optional. What are the choices of coaching/ Test Series / Guidance for Economics Optional Candidates? Anyone with Eco optional can throw some light here?

How is Vajiram for Eco? Please avoid, dont go , they are fraud, save money etc. type of replies. The candidates on whose behalf I am asking are usually who were in high paying jobs , studies from IIMs and cannot afford to stay jobless for more than a year due to loans and family expectation which follows once you have a high paying job.

@BeLikeBro You should find your answer here.
*No good deed goes unpunished*

Comments

• Unfortunately,no coaching is providing good economics coaching.I am masters in economics and i have seen the level of teaching of one institute(Kalinga ias).They will focus largely on indian economy(paper 2) but will leave major portions of paper 1. There is group of economics optional students on google group where many successful candidates recommend not taking coaching.
    I cant say anything about vajiram.someone else can throw light on it.
    Even the test series papers of eco optional of these institutes are not useful given the question paper of 2016 mains.
    Atleast in my case,my expectations were not fulfilled.
  • edited May 11
    Yes Gaurav Agrawal also said on similar lines in his blog.. you can find answer about which coaching is good in that economics optional google group
  • Neyawn said:

Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of a few friends who shave reached me to seek an opinion on Economics Optional. What are the choices of coaching/ Test Series / Guidance for Economics Optional Candidates? Anyone with Eco optional can throw some light here?

How is Vajiram for Eco? Please avoid, dont go , they are fraud, save money etc. type of replies. The candidates on whose behalf I am asking are usually who were in high paying jobs , studies from IIMs and cannot afford to stay jobless for more than a year due to loans and family expectation which follows once you have a high paying job.

Thanks for creating a thread on the topic at a such short notice. I am also pretty much flummoxed by the negative reviews about each and every coaching providing economics optional coaching. Topper's are also pretty much in two minds given that Neeraj Singh praises Lalwani a lot in his blog while GA pretty much stops short of calling Lalwani total BS. Being a completely new aspirant from non-economics background, the coaching scene for this optional seems lacking in all respect. Should I drop the idea of picking up Economics optional in which I have quite the interest and move to more popular optionals or should I stick it out with self preparation? Suggestions from old players of the game would go a long way in helping me. Thanks
  • @vsec your guidance is needed here.
  • BeLikeBro said:

Neyawn said:

Hi,

Thanks for creating a thread on the topic at a such short notice. I am also pretty much flummoxed by the negative reviews about each and every coaching providing economics optional coaching. Topper's are also pretty much in two minds given that Neeraj Singh praises Lalwani a lot in his blog while GA pretty much stops short of calling Lalwani total BS. Being a completely new aspirant from non-economics background, the coaching scene for this optional seems lacking in all respect. Should I drop the idea of picking up Economics optional in which I have quite the interest and move to more popular optionals or should I stick it out with self preparation? Suggestions from old players of the game would go a long way in helping me. Thanks
    Thanks for being so specific about your query. It will help a few thousand people make up their minds , you see.

I did have a word with GA and did point out to him that he was trying to evaluate the utility of Economics coaching from the perspective of a candidate who had cleared IIT as well as IIM, knew Ecomics pretty well, and then sat in a class of people who knew zero economics but chose to take it based on interest. His assessment may not be even fair.

I am in touch with a few Eco Candidates who are in service, and have appeared again this year, and I may ask them. This will take time. Meanwhile, I hope the community helps out more proactively here.?

However, I would point out that every candidate I met from Eco Optional who secured good marks, even at the ForumIAS Community Meet, did say that they referred to GA's blog. So you can begin from there.

• Neyawn said:

BeLikeBro said:

Neyawn said:

Hi,

Thanks for being so specific about your query. It will help a few thousand people make up their minds , you see.

I did have a word with GA and did point out to him that he was trying to evaluate the utility of Economics coaching from the perspective of a candidate who had cleared IIT as well as IIM, knew Ecomics pretty well, and then sat in a class of people who knew zero economics but chose to take it based on interest. His assessment may not be even fair.

I am in touch with a few Eco Candidates who are in service, and have appeared again this year, and I may ask them. This will take time. Meanwhile, I hope the community helps out more proactively here.?

However, I would point out that every candidate I met from Eco Optional who secured good marks, even at the ForumIAS Community Meet, did say that they referred to GA's blog. So you can begin from there.

GA's blog is a gold mine for any aspirant there is no denying that. I , on any day for my preparation, would love self study over spoon fed coaching. But when it comes optional, in-depth preparation and analysis is required along with proper completion of syllabus which I am apprehensive that I can't achieve alone through self study as it isn't my graduation subject and hence the requirement for coaching. @Neyawn I am really thankful that you are taking the initiative to connect aspirants with economics optional, both old and new, and I am really hopeful that it would bring clarity to the confused souls like me.
  • Currently reading : Flashboys by Michael Lewis; The Whisperers by Orlando Figes
    Last read : Return of a King by Dalrymple; The Emperor of all Maladies
  • vajiram will be good,, the faculty is awesome for economics optional there,,
  • Okay,

This is to quickly update you @BeLikeBro

Take the below as a peer review, instead of some "topper" recommendation, though this friend of mine who has provided the review is serving in Indian Revenue Service.

Economics_Optional.png
    960 x 487 - 60K
  • edited May 19
    Neyawn said:

Okay,

Take the below as a peer review, instead of some "topper" recommendation, though this friend of mine who has provided the review is serving in Indian Revenue Service.

Thanks a lot. It's what I required.
  • BeLikeBro said:

Neyawn said:

Okay,

Thanks a lot. It's what I required.
    Glad, it worked for you. Of all things that one needs the most during preparation, conviction is the most underrated one.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog