Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
GUIDANCE IAS Geography(Opt.) @500+ Programme STARTS ON 26th JUNE 9:30 AM.
Venue:   11/5-B, Basement, Param Tower , Pusa Road, Delhi 110005. Call (+91)-9718793363, 011-45586829. Geography(Opt.) Online / Offline Test Series
& Daily Mapwork Program Online
To Enroll Click Here
Top 4 scorers in Geography (Opt.) are Guidance IAS Students: AIR 5 PRATHAM KAUSHIK (327 Marks); AIR 109 DHRUV MISHRA (318 Marks); AIR 411 SAI KIRAN D.N. (316 Marks); AIR 423 DHEERAJ AGARWAL (315 Marks)

Time taken for reading newspaper

edited September 2013 in Current Affairs
I am reading for the last 3 months but still i am not able to complete within 1 hour( as recomnended by seniors) .. it takes me 1.5 hours and if i make notes then full 2 hours. is there any new reader who is able to finish it in 1 hour?

Comments

• i believe you are on the right track, 1.5hrs in 3months!
    to be honest i take 3hrs including note making and i am preparing from last 2months :-SS .
    so bro i would like to ask some tips from you. :D
    Indian Forest Service 2016
    pre= 2, mains= 0, interview= 0.
  • i believe you are on the right track, 1.5hrs in 3months!
    to be honest i take 3hrs including note making and i am preparing from last 2months :-SS .
    so bro i would like to ask some tips from you. :D
    I read in this order- Front page, editorial, oped, periscope, international. On national page only headlines. Read in detail if related to some topic in syllabus. no politics news. In editorial also only relevant ones. i did not read business page except on monday. maximum time ,about 45 minutes is spent on edit, oped and periscope.
  • @Hegde @sanjubaba
    Friends, I consider myself as an experienced aspirant, as I have read "almost every thing" written on web regarding Indian CSE.
    I have started my preparation since june-13. CSE-14 would be my first attempt.
    I have been reading the "The Hindu" newspaper since part few months, and it takes me 7 hours at an average to completely read and make notes from the Newspaper, when I read the news of the "UPSC relevance" only.
    My intuition regarding "relevance of an article", cannot be wrong as I have the hardcopy of the Syllabus and previous year question paper ! (I refer to it twice at an average, average ! )

My day starts with a "sincere reading" of these two 'printouts' that I have !
    I cannot do justice with the Newspaper if I try to "complete" the newspaper in Half an hour !!!
    :-B
  • @sanjubaba thank you for your reply.
    i usually dont read front page except it is important for upsc and i take ~30min for business :-B
    and now realised i waste time reading national politics. and also i can skip politics related editorials.
    thanks once again bro
  • @Hegde @sanjubaba
    Friends, I consider myself as an experienced aspirant, as I have read "almost every thing" written on web regarding Indian CSE.
    I have started my preparation since june-13. CSE-14 would be my first attempt.
    I have been reading the "The Hindu" newspaper since part few months, and it takes me 7 hours at an average to completely read and make notes from the Newspaper, when I read the news of the "UPSC relevance" only.
    My intuition regarding "relevance of an article", cannot be wrong as I have the hardcopy of the Syllabus and previous year question paper ! (I refer to it twice at an average, average ! )

My day starts with a "sincere reading" of these two 'printouts' that I have !
    I cannot do justice with the Newspaper if I try to "complete" the newspaper in Half an hour !!!
    :-B
    7 hours!!!!!!!!?????? are you serious ?
  • @abhithepandey you are scaring me now :-O
    can you share your news paper reading process?
  • edited September 2013
    @Hegde @sanjubaba

Yes I do mean it. I do. The newspaper contains "new" terms. Let me share the terms that I found new in today's newspaper ! These were the terms, for which I had to refer to the internet and write it down in a seperate note book (to have a comprehensive knowledge about the Current Affairs, on which solid opinions can be formed).
    Now I am Preparing 2 letters to the editor of The Hindu. At 11 pm I shall send them.

These were as follows (The Hindu, 17-sept-2013), following is only the list of the unknown term for which I had to refer to web. I have made the notes from the newspaper too !!!
    1st page- nothing !
    2nd page- NCPCR, ZIPNET
    3rd page- Action taken report,LARB-13,Location/River flowing through Kaziranga National Park,Section 395 of IPC, CRPF
    6th page- Hoairuo Commission, CBGA, medical termination of pregnancy act-1971
    7th page-Jharkhand state commission for women
    Likewise I had to do some, background study of the terms mentioned in the Newspaper + writing the important points from the general news too ! (Till the last page)

This is very important as, 95% of the mains-12 questions and almost 30% of the pre-13 questions were from the several Dynamic sources(not only the hindu) !
    (This would help me in forming an opinion)

What makes the questions more tough is to critically analysis of the aspects asked in the question. That also in very less time !
    Though I do agree that this act of reading the newspaper, making the notes from the newspaper , referring to the unknown terms from web, does takes time. But we should not forget that we are preparing for UPSC and not SSC. Till now the profile based question are still left to be maintained for according to today's quota !

This is my strategy, inferred from the "sincere analysis of the recent previous year UPSC question papers(Pre+mains)".
    Any one is free to disagree !

Please do ask, If you have any doubt ! (I am very confident with what I am doing and I am very sure that all the guys in delhi are also doing this, I am confident)

• edited September 2013
    This is how it took 7 hrs today, i had to take breakfast+ take bath too, in this duration !!! (to be precise )
    7am to 3 pm != 7hrs
    I have read, almost 80% of the news from newspaper, except sports !
    Periscope=complete
    editorial=complete
    op-ed= complete
    Firstpage=complete
    IR=complete
    business=complete
  • This is how it took 7 hrs today, i had to take breakfast+ take bath too, in this duration !!! (to be precise )
    7am to 3 pm != 7hrs
    I have read, almost 80% of the news from newspaper, except sports !
    Periscope=complete
    editorial=complete
    op-ed= complete
    Firstpage=complete
    IR=complete
    business=complete
    Do you take notes from editorials even if the whole is relevant?. I prefer to cut it and keep it in my folder. and isn't it too early for making notes in detail soo early. In mains usually questionscone from 1 yr old news and maibs is in december next yr. my roomate is preapring from 2012. he read 3 newspaper IE and ET apart from Hindu.
  • @abhithepandey Thanks a lot for giving such a comprehensive description about newspaper reading. I'm also taking about 3-4 hours for reading the newspaper and for past few days I was trying to reduce it to 1 hour but after your post, I feel I was on right track as you have correctly mentioned that this is UPSC not SSC and here we have to go into depth of every single thing that is important from the exam perspective...
    The creative adult is the child who has survived.
  • Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff … and it’s all
    small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little
    Things from Taking Over Your Life – Richard
    Carlson
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • @abhithepandey

I also follow the same strategy and take around 4 hrs to completely read it. For newbie like me, its important to understand every new term or concept we come across while reading newspaper. With time, the no of these new terms decreases and we will be able to complete the newspaper in less time, I suppose.

However I am facing difficulty in making notes from newspaper.
    I started writing the news items in the notebook with important points . I have separate notebook for separate columns like business, editorial, op-eds, IR etc.
    But then the problem arises because dynamic news items added daily to the previous content.
    Also we have to write the ( background explanation/ new terms explanation ) concerned with the topic , in the notes.
    So, how can I manage with this?
    “If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects.”
    ―Albert Einstein
  • Good Morning all :-)
  • sorry for above unrelated comment due to an unexpected copy paste snag .
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • sorry for above unrelated comment due to an unexpected copy paste snag .
    Hey, it wasn't unrelated at all. I felt it to be complete to the point and pertinent. If you know what I mean :D You rock!!
    2012: Mains | 2013: Interview | 2014: IRTS | 2015: IPS | 2016: Uncharted Territory
    Step by step success is written in my destiny
  • @maxi
    Thanks for the compliment but i still cant figure as to how that comment was pertinent ;-)
  • Definitely a novice would find it tiresome in dealing with newspapers . But hey , dont get disappointed by it . Case wont be similar after couple of months . Everyone would end up reading with below one hour and could prepare notes too within the same hour ..

Your eyes and brain would be trained , only for those wanted materials . Rest you wont even know , how did you skip while after 4-5 months ..

Enjoy learning :)>-
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • can i divide a book into various sections and make notes from paper ?? like for s&t , economics etc.
  • no matter what you do, 7 hrs is way too much!!
  • My bad. I had specified previously that I do take bath and eat breakfast too in that span of 7 hours. So the average time devoted by me on the Hindu newspaper must be ~5 to 5.5 hrs. This time I have managed to achieve in 2 months of preparation ! With more experience, I shall increase the spectrum of the resources I refer to and the time shall remain the same !!!
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog