Deputy Collector (SDM) in home state MP vs scale 2 officer (promoted from PO)

Dear friends​, I have some confusion regarding choice between scale 2 bank officer and Deputy Collector. I am in banking as branch manager but recently selected as deputy collector (SDM) in MP, that is my home state also. So, dear friends, considering all factors like home state, salary, authority, status, future prospects..etc etc pls suggest me better option between these two.

Comments

• Trolls Are getting funnier day by day :D
  • @Ant_Man bhaisahab kuchh dikkat Hai to, na Karo reply. Seriously Bata sakte ho to batao.
  • @Ant_Man bhaisahab kuchh dikkat Hai to, na Karo reply. Seriously Bata sakte ho to batao.

Its not even a close comparision, that's why i felt you were trolling.
    anyways SDM is million times better
  • edited May 9
    @adthelegend

Close your eyes and go for sdm..no comparison between these two as sdm is far far better
  • Go for SDM
  • edited May 9
    the day is not far when people will ask Daily Wage Laborer under MGNREGA vs SDM :wink:
  • Dear friends​, I have some confusion regarding choice between scale 2 bank officer and Deputy Collector. I am in banking as branch manager but recently selected as deputy collector (SDM) in MP, that is my home state also. So, dear friends, considering all factors like home state, salary, authority, status, future prospects..etc etc pls suggest me better option between these two.

yar comparision to dhang ka karo..isme koi confusion hai hi nahi SDM mila hai wo bhi home state aur kya chahiye..
    PO is anytime like a private job only.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • the day is not far when people will ask Daily Wage Laborer under MGNREGA vs SDM :wink:

:mrgreen:
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • Ant_Man said:

Trolls Are getting funnier day by day :D

agree
    Pre 2015- Fail
    Pre 2016- Fail
    CSIR Life Science NET- 18 June
    Road 2018 (Last Attempt)
  • the day is not far when people will ask Daily Wage Laborer under MGNREGA vs SDM :wink:

hahahahaha.
    Pre 2015- Fail
    Pre 2016- Fail
    CSIR Life Science NET- 18 June
    Road 2018 (Last Attempt)
  • Sometimes low confidence and feeling of lack of self worth make low in life. Particularly, when reason is some other person. I, myself have given upsc civil service interviews and one forest service interview. Luckily, got selected as deputy collector. Still, prevailing personal conditions​ forcing me to compare between said posts.... starting late preparation can negatively compensate our dreams of higher life style, particularly when low grade job people start living their full life...

So, dear friends nothing trolls n all....I wanted some genuine views to find motivating path of my life....

All the best to all aspirants

If possible then remember some good suggestion by AXIS bank CEO at IIM Ahmdabad convocation about life...
  • aise chaman bhi SDM ban jaate hain jo sale PO or SDM ki job compare na kar sake. Bhai gali main ghumne wale kisi rsikshey wale se bhi poochenga na woh bhi bata dega ki...SDM kya hota hai. Bhai kahi tu Vyapam ghotale ki upaj toh nahi hai ???
  • Sometimes low confidence and feeling of lack of self worth make low in life. Particularly, when reason is some other person. I, myself have given upsc civil service interviews and one forest service interview. Luckily, got selected as deputy collector. Still, prevailing personal conditions​ forcing me to compare between said posts.... starting late preparation can negatively compensate our dreams of higher life style, particularly when low grade job people start living their full life...

So, dear friends nothing trolls n all....I wanted some genuine views to find motivating path of my life....

If possible then remember some good suggestion by AXIS bank CEO at IIM Ahmdabad convocation about life...

You may not be a troll, but you are on a website where most people have a common bias in favour of administrative jobs.

In terms of comparison between an SDM and a bank PO, an SDM, gets immediate respect and decent administrative powers. Law & Order is a duty often assigned to SDMs, even if they are not holding the post of SDM, but as a magistrate with any portfolio in the district, be it rajasvya or transport.

The job is much less armchair than bank PO.

SDMs command high respect and value in the society and the job is the closes that you can imagine to the IAS ( provided you got the top rank and actually got SDM, and not some other department specific job like registrar etc. )

The one advantage that bank POs may have over the SDM, may be in the very long run, is that career progression for SDMs stagnate, and unless promoted to IAS , they stay at the district level, retiring at the rank of ADM.

Whereas POs in PSU can rise to the top level. The SDM rises very little in rank. In powers, it is almost a demotion. The SDM is an independent office and powerful. All other posts that you get are not independent and you will spend your career between SDM and ADM, who does not have real powers. The next independent office is DM, which you will not get if you do not get IAS.

If you are serving in state Police via this exam, you are likely to be DSP at least for 15 years and maybe for life. You may not become an SP at all.

Secondly, law and order is not an easy job or lucrative job. You don't get to do lathi charge and riot control at will . There is democracy. In real life situations, the DM may ask you as a magistrate to go for riot control and it will be on your orders that the police force will shoot a bullet.

Remember that in real life situations, firing is a big thing. You are likely to abdicate responsibility because you would want to take the DM into confidence before ordering shooting or use of violence. The DMs, a large number of times stop picking up calls when situation goes out of control and there is need to kill people to control the mob.

And if you are the one who gave shooting orders , there will be a magistratial probe, where your seniors may not be brave enough to write that situation warranted it. Most of the times, your seniors end up writing " The Office lacks decision making qualities and resorted to violence where mob control could have been done peacefully"

In fact when even SPs order firing as last resort, and if the SP has not kept good terms with the DM, who will avoid giving orders for firing , even when the mob has taken control, sometimes end up writing "SP uses force when it can be avoided"

Which is why you will see that most people in IAS boast that I can do everything what the IPS can do , plus more.

Also, Unfortunately, in working, the power gap between you first posting and the last posting is negligible, making you feel that there is no growth at all.

In fact , if you got the administrative service in the state and are actually made SDM in the first posting , which is also the first posting of IAS officers ( but they will quickly climb the succession to ADC/DDC , DM , Commissioner, Secy and Principal Secy ), further posting which are non- SDM, but in-charge of Land revenue, Land Acquisition, Agriculture, Nazarat, Treasury etc. are vastly different from an SDM's life.

However, because the job is difficult, it has more prestige, and it enjoys respect in the society. If you enjoy hierarchy ( by which I mean, enjoy giving orders and taking orders ), you will love this job.

If you are looking for a more 10-5 job, the PO is suitable. Again, SBI does make its POs work a lot. But career progression is good in Banking as of now.

I have worked at District Level and I am aware of many SDMs who would give up their jobs to be Professors, who earn very very well, have a peaceful life, and get leaves when you need + spend festivals like Durga Pooja and Diwali with family, and not on some magisterial duty like the SDM.

Not sure about anyone leaving SDMship to be a PO though.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • I would rate SDM better than GM of Bank. I left scale 2 manager without any option in feb 17.
  • coolbuddy said:

I would rate SDM better than GM of Bank. I left scale 2 manager without any option in feb 17.

I would pick SDM over the CEO of Google India! :mrgreen:
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • Neyawn said:

Sometimes low confidence and feeling of lack of self worth make low in life. Particularly, when reason is some other person. I, myself have given upsc civil service interviews and one forest service interview. Luckily, got selected as deputy collector. Still, prevailing personal conditions​ forcing me to compare between said posts.... starting late preparation can negatively compensate our dreams of higher life style, particularly when low grade job people start living their full life...

You may not be a troll, but you are on a website where most people have a common bias in favour of administrative jobs.

In terms of comparison between an SDM and a bank PO, an SDM, gets immediate respect and decent administrative powers. Law & Order is a duty often assigned to SDMs, even if they are not holding the post of SDM, but as a magistrate with any portfolio in the district, be it rajasvya or transport.

SDMs command high respect and value in the society and the job is the closes that you can imagine to the IAS ( provided you got the top rank and actually got SDM, and not some other department specific job like registrar etc. )

The one advantage that bank POs may have over the SDM, may be in the very long run, is that career progression for SDMs stagnate, and unless promoted to IAS , they stay at the district level, retiring at the rank of ADM.

Whereas POs in PSU can rise to the top level. The SDM rises very little in rank. In powers, it is almost a demotion. The SDM is an independent office and powerful. All other posts that you get are not independent and you will spend your career between SDM and ADM, who does not have real powers. The next independent office is DM, which you will not get if you do not get IAS.

If you are serving in state Police via this exam, you are likely to be DSP at least for 15 years and maybe for life. You may not become an SP at all.

Secondly, law and order is not an easy job or lucrative job. You don't get to do lathi charge and riot control at will . There is democracy. In real life situations, the DM may ask you as a magistrate to go for riot control and it will be on your orders that the police force will shoot a bullet.

Remember that in real life situations, firing is a big thing. You are likely to abdicate responsibility because you would want to take the DM into confidence before ordering shooting or use of violence. The DMs, a large number of times stop picking up calls when situation goes out of control and there is need to kill people to control the mob.

And if you are the one who gave shooting orders , there will be a magistratial probe, where your seniors may not be brave enough to write that situation warranted it. Most of the times, your seniors end up writing " The Office lacks decision making qualities and resorted to violence where mob control could have been done peacefully"

In fact when even SPs order firing as last resort, and if the SP has not kept good terms with the DM, who will avoid giving orders for firing , even when the mob has taken control, sometimes end up writing "SP uses force when it can be avoided"

Which is why you will see that most people in IAS boast that I can do everything what the IPS can do , plus more.

Also, Unfortunately, in working, the power gap between you first posting and the last posting is negligible, making you feel that there is no growth at all.

In fact , if you got the administrative service in the state and are actually made SDM in the first posting , which is also the first posting of IAS officers ( but they will quickly climb the succession to ADC/DDC , DM , Commissioner, Secy and Principal Secy ), further posting which are non- SDM, but in-charge of Land revenue, Land Acquisition, Agriculture, Nazarat, Treasury etc. are vastly different from an SDM's life.

However, because the job is difficult, it has more prestige, and it enjoys respect in the society. If you enjoy hierarchy ( by which I mean, enjoy giving orders and taking orders ), you will love this job.

If you are looking for a more 10-5 job, the PO is suitable. Again, SBI does make its POs work a lot. But career progression is good in Banking as of now.

I have worked at District Level and I am aware of many SDMs who would give up their jobs to be Professors, who earn very very well, have a peaceful life, and get leaves when you need + spend festivals like Durga Pooja and Diwali with family, and not on some magisterial duty like the SDM.

Mate, how did u write so many words??? :o
    I would have suffered a heart attack :mrgreen: But all things aside, nothing compares to Civils.... :)
    Civils rocks <3 o:) </b>
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

• Neyawn said:

Sometimes low confidence and feeling of lack of self worth make low in life. Particularly, when reason is some other person. I, myself have given upsc civil service interviews and one forest service interview. Luckily, got selected as deputy collector. Still, prevailing personal conditions​ forcing me to compare between said posts.... starting late preparation can negatively compensate our dreams of higher life style, particularly when low grade job people start living their full life...

Perfect answer
  • coolbuddy said:

I would rate SDM better than GM of Bank. I left scale 2 manager without any option in feb 17.

I would pick SDM over the CEO of Google India! :mrgreen:
    I would even choose naib tehsildar over juckerbergua :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    London main barish bata ke nahi aati
  • I would pick sdm over modi
  • edited May 10

Dear friends​, I have some confusion regarding choice between scale 2 bank officer and Deputy Collector. I am in banking as branch manager but recently selected as deputy collector (SDM) in MP, that is my home state also. So, dear friends, considering all factors like home state, salary, authority, status, future prospects..etc etc pls suggest me better option between these two.

What is grade pay of Deputy Collector in your state???...... I am asking this because in some state rank of deputy Collector is not equivalent to SDM ..... In these states a officer equivelent to Naib Tehsildar with Grade Pay 4200.is called Deputy Collector.

If your Deputy Collector is indeed SDM with Grade Pay 5400(Level 10 as per 7th CPC)...... Then with full politeness , I would say that your question is quite absurd. I am currently working as Custom Inspector(through SSC CGL) and in my department every year many PO of scale 2,3(whatever) are coming in droves that too most of them are from SBI.....

So, There is no comparison of SDM and PO whatsoever..... Many people leave IPS,IRS for SDM in their home state...... So if deputy collector of your state is indeed SDM(grade pay 5400) then you should not ask this question any futher.....
  • Tudor said:

I would pick sdm over modi

Any girl would :mrgreen:
    Edjacktaly.. :mrgreen: ok bye
  • Tudor said:

merc_benz said:

Tudor said:

I would pick sdm over modi

Any girl would :mrgreen:
    Edjacktaly.. :mrgreen: ok bye
    Abhi kuch din pehle Ranchi ke DSP uncle se milne gaya tha. SP phone par bole Bahubali ke do tikat jugad de yaar. Thana in charge bhi wahin. Ek phone call aur 2 tickets. Now which girl would refuse to watch a movie. :mrgreen:

#Disclaimer- Although the incident was real, but light tone me boli hai :mrgreen:
    Ye accha h... tum gangajal apharan jaisi movies bnaoge ek din :mrgreen: advance booking kr do
  • I know friends who were scale-3/SBI(28 yrs) and left the job without any other in hand.And please, it is not a 10-5 job anymore if you are ambitious and have self-respect(people still see the watch when you leave your office).Foreign posting are a reality and CTC of a bank like SBI is much higher.Life is comfortable relatively.

And lastly, if you cannot choose for yourself (whether low esteem or anything,doesn't matter) how would you make a decision for thousands of people.

Good luck.
    Pre:-4* Mains:-3 PT:-0
  • Ab itna comparison chal hi rha tha to koi RBI grade B vs SDM ko bhi compare kar hi do. I know the basic cliched points. Agar usse zyada kisi ko pata ho to kripya prakash daalen. Asking bcoz I have cleared UKPCS prelims. Mains is in sept. But before that I have to join rbi. So not able to decide whether to take immense pains to write ukpcs mains.
    RBI Grade B officer
  • Ab itna comparison chal hi rha tha to koi RBI grade B vs SDM ko bhi compare kar hi do. I know the basic cliched points. Agar usse zyada kisi ko pata ho to kripya prakash daalen. Asking bcoz I have cleared UKPCS prelims. Mains is in sept. But before that I have to join rbi. So not able to decide whether to take immense pains to write ukpcs mains.

Rbi join karo aur aish karo.kaha pauri gadhwal mein sdm banne chale ho bhai.
    Uk ka infrastructure kafi kharab hai especially in hilly areas.
  • edited May 10

Ab itna comparison chal hi rha tha to koi RBI grade B vs SDM ko bhi compare kar hi do. I know the basic cliched points. Agar usse zyada kisi ko pata ho to kripya prakash daalen. Asking bcoz I have cleared UKPCS prelims. Mains is in sept. But before that I have to join rbi. So not able to decide whether to take immense pains to write ukpcs mains.

RBI grade B is a tension free job.No public dealing, weekends off, postings in good cities.For 15 years,you might stay In Mumbai only.But societal recognition is less.Decide your priorities as these jobs have job profile and lifestyle 180° apart from each other.
    I don't think there is anything to cause a doubt in mind regarding which one to opt for.Shaanti se jivan jina chahate ho to RBI join karlo....Paisa,gaadi,ghar,biwi or in Sab ke saath bitaane k liye time,Sab mil jaayega.

Or life main kuch or cheez bhi matter Karti ho to SDM ban Jaao.Par pehle mains or Interview nikaal lo.Good luck.

Pre:-4* Mains:-3 PT:-0
  • Neyawn said:

Mwhahaha... kuch bhi. Sdm adm tak hi jaa pata hai... arey sir 40-45 m select hue log honge wo :D
  • I would pick sdm over modi

Haha,

Be careful with what you wish for.

You might actually get it.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog