MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

[CSE2017] - Serious Discussions, Doubts and Guidance

edited June 18 in Preparation FAQs
Your pitstop for all queries related to CS Prelims 2017.
Kindly do not create multiple threads and do not engage in gossip.
Self respect means everything.
I am not going to let myself down.

Comments

• Should I buy 9th edition of Ramesh Singh Indian economy?
  • So should we concluded that vision 365 is the best source for prelims current affairs? Done and dusted? Still doubt?
  • So should we concluded that vision 365 is the best source for prelims current affairs? Done and dusted? Still doubt?

Only prelims paper will decide that.
  • Not long ago Mains 365 was the one stop shop for CSM '16....well, we all know what happened to that assumption...get your basics, static in place, add 365 or whatever compilation you can get your hands on (1 or max 2 sources)
    Prelims'16 was CA heavy, gut says it'll b a washout this time around...
    I know we haven't got much, but whatever little there is - its worth fighting for.
  • I finished Bipan Chandra, should I revise it now or start Spectrum?
  • the way everyone​ is going crazy about current affairs this year it seems CA will suffer the same fate as that of geography last year
  • Is pharma industry licenced or has it been delicenced?
  • How to prepare for the topics like biosphere reserve, national parks, world heritage sites, ramasar wetland in India, GI tags, etc.
  • gt2015 said:

How to prepare for the topics like biosphere reserve, national parks, world heritage sites, ramasar wetland in India, GI tags, etc.

Google.
  • You can find all the videos of Important Topics from S & T for Prelims 2017 here:

• Videos on the following topics:

• Aditya L1
    • CERN-Benefits of India becoming an associate member
    • CIRB GAURAV
    • GM Mosquito
    • GPCR
    • Hohman Energy Transfer
    • LIGO India, Gravitational Waves
    • New Frontiers Program of NASA
    • Philea Rosetta
    • QUESS
    • Syn 1.0, Syn 3.0, Minimal Gene
    • Yamanaka Genes (OSKM Genes), iPSC
    • 13.Advanced Ultra Supercritical Plant
    • Aviation Climate Deal
    • Biopriting or Bioink
    • CE-20 (Croyogenic Engine-20)
    • Chemical Weapons
    • Coalbed Methane and Protest by Tamil Nadu Farmers
    • Fixed Dose drug combination
    • GSLV-FO5
    • HELP (Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy)
    • Ngari-Dark Sky in Tibet
    • PSLV
    • RUSTAM-II and Sonar Dome
    • Waste to Energy
    • Varunastra
    • 3-Parent Baby
    • E-Waste Management Rules
    • Emission Standards (BS-V and BS-VI)
    • Ethanol Blending Program, Biodiesel & Green Diesel
    • GM MUSTARD
    • Kigali Amendment
    • Water Laser

• gt2015 said:

How to prepare for the topics like biosphere reserve, national parks, world heritage sites, ramasar wetland in India, GI tags, etc.

Except GI tag. Which are some 237 in number, learnt and mugged up all. :smile:
  • vivekias said:

gt2015 said:

Thanks but is it possible to mug up all national parks, biosphere reserve etc..except GI tags.
  • Insight is going to

the way everyone​ is going crazy about current affairs this year it seems CA will suffer the same fate as that of geography last year

History will be superstar this year. I am expecting more than 20 questions from history.
  • @dhruv4star : What do you mean by it will be a washout?
  • Maybe UPSC will balance both current and static portion. Tectonic shift in paper pattern seems unlikely.
  • Yeh CVC and Lokpal both are the authorities for inquiring into references of corruption for all india services and group A officers of cgov?
  • edited May 2

@dhruv4star : What do you mean by it will be a washout?

First...thats just my feelin
    Second..look at how prelims has changed over the years...
    14: Art n Culture ...everyone did a PhD with singhania, ccrt, spectrum nd what not
    15: Relatively easier AnC, Environment stole it...everyone crammed up Shankar..
    16: CA % increased , Super easy modern history, unambiguous but not so obvious AnC , almost zero Geo, easiest Polity, very less environment...everyone including me is crammin, as many CA booklets as possible

PS: Have given the PT, M,I only once ...so you can just brush aside these obsvs as musings of an inexperienced candidate. Bottom Line: don't get obsessed with one particular part of the syllabus, prepare everything such that you can attempt easy questions without fail and a few difficult ones in the subjects that you are particularly good that....former will keep you in contention, latter will sail you through.. :)
    I know we haven't got much, but whatever little there is - its worth fighting for.
  • Tudor said:

IMO the best thing is go with an open mind. :)

+1
  • edited May 2
    Tudor said:

I humbly disagree, Going with open mind will work only sometimes(who we are lucky) and more often than not we tend make wrong judgments if we are caught off guard.
    IMO going with well prepared strategies is the best thing.
    One should know what to do when he knows 70+ questions correctly or 60+ or 50+ or 40+.
    There should be a plan for each of these scenarios, one should be able to pass no matter what he is going to face in the exam.
  • Diplomacy said:

Tudor said:

I humbly disagree, Going with open mind will work only sometimes(who we are lucky) and more often than not we tend make wrong judgments if we are caught off guard.
    IMO going with well prepared strategies is the best thing.
    One should know what to do when he knows 70+ questions correctly or 60+ or 50+ or 40+.
    There should be a plan for each of these scenarios, one should be able to pass no matter what he is going to face in the exam.
    I think what he meant was not to go inside expecting majority of the questions from a particular subject etc.
    Everything should be read, or at least glanced through. So that it can help in elimination at the very least. :)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • ^ haha! My bad. I stand corrected. :trollface:
  • 2014 type of paper will have devastating consequences for people who are neglecting static portion and focusing more on current affairs.
  • Some are saying history and culture weightage will go up. Some are saying current affairs weightage will remain same as last year.

Hey Ram!
  • shivajii said:

Some are saying history and culture weightage will go up. Some are saying current affairs weightage will remain same as last year.

Hey Ram!

Only stupid people fall for these distractions. No offense to anyone in particular.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • @DrKingSchultz and others

the new 2016 edition of History Spectrum has some additional chapters
    is it advisable to go for it now
    I have read the 2015 edition (which covers 1857-1947) in addition to Old Modern History- Bipin Chandra and TN Board- Class 11
    please suggest
  • although we should do everything as diligently as we can ,still APFC n CDS paper can provide some directions ...both had enough weightage of history and level was a notch higher than what we normally expect
  • although we should do everything as diligently as we can ,still APFC n CDS paper can provide some directions ...both had enough weightage of history and level was a notch higher than what we normally expect

Which book do you recommend for such higher level history questions?

Please post your analysis based on caf and cds questions.
  • shivajii said:

although we should do everything as diligently as we can ,still APFC n CDS paper can provide some directions ...both had enough weightage of history and level was a notch higher than what we normally expect

Which book do you recommend for such higher level history questions?

Please post your analysis based on caf and cds questions.
    1)do standard books like ncert and Chandra rock solid.if you are good with these books you will be able to eliminate well 2)if you still have time you can have cursory look over sumit sarkar (chapter s like reform movement are important IMO) 3)ROI is less on doing any HiFi book ...best case scenario me puri book ache se karne ke bad do extra q fasenge

• gt2015 said:

vivekias said:

gt2015 said:

Thanks but is it possible to mug up all national parks, biosphere reserve etc..except GI tags.
    I was facing same chain of doubts what to do, which one to do , bla bla, lastly wasnt getting convinced. Picked entire list one by one and mugged up , revised couple of times and I'm through and feel very confident and comfortable now. See how it works for u.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog