[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

"Hidden guidance" for UPSC preparation which coaching provide

Is there any "Hidden guidance" for UPSC preparation which coaching provide or topper's interview+websites reveale everything?
·

Comments

• What is meaning of Proper guidance? Is there anything extra which we should know or topper's interview and websites told everything?
    ·
  • Work like horse not mule.
    Speed , Concentration, Chill mode are three important keys.
    Your question implies you are missing third one, asssuming first two are not a problem for you.
    Dog days are over
    ·
  • edited April 29
    As far as I know I don't think anybody gets special treatment because the teacher has no way of knowing who will eventually make it.

however, sometimes we read in toppers interviews "I benefitted a lot under the guidance of ABC/XYZ sir" giving us the impression that that teacher especially helped out that one candidate. What we don't realise is 80-90% of the times these are actually hidden promotions of a coaching.

Sometimes students get some extra attention after preliminary if they have cleared it and the rest haven't. For eg I remember at vajiram in a class of 300-400 ppl, only one had cleared pre that year so everyone noticed him including the teachers. But that's it. he didn't get special classes.

Sometimes, students and teachers form a bond, like one of my divyang friends did, so our teacher esp took care that she didn't face any problems. Such bonds are more likely to form in smaller Coaching centres though, not corporate money minters like vajiram.

One of my friends was a family friend of a coaching teacher. But she didn't get any SP treatment as such. However all my friends who cleared mains had a comparatively freer access to teachers lounge. But that's obviously understandable.

I don't know why I am writing such a massive treatise on such a trivial question. It's probably because I have thought about this question at length myself and I m bored right now. But I hope this answers your question :)

·
  • There is no hidden guidence , Everything boils down to Discipline , the coaching walas get to many people to suceed is because they are able to provide a timetable and discipline
    And as a lot of money of student is at stake ,the students tend to be more serious
    ·
  • Is there any "Hidden guidance" for UPSC preparation which coaching provide or topper's interview+websites reveale everything?

Your question is already answered by Rasputin.
    But let me bust the myth surrounding the guidance provided by the teachers.
    There are very few teachers in CSE coaching field who may be helpful in specific area they teach.

But if you really seek guidance, you should keep in touch with recent pass outs. Not necessarily toppers.
    You can look at their marks and decide or you can ignore them if the said topper is genuine person.

What one need in UPSC is one genuine mentor apart from other factors. This is the most underestimated thing in CSE prep.
    IRS-IT [2016]
    ·
  • edited April 29

Is there any "Hidden guidance" for UPSC preparation which coaching provide or topper's interview+websites reveale everything?

There are very few teachers in CSE coaching field who may be helpful in specific area they teach.

But if you really seek guidance, you should keep in touch with recent pass outs. Not necessarily toppers.
    You can look at their marks and decide or you can ignore them if the said topper is genuine person.

What one need in UPSC is one genuine mentor apart from other factors. This is the most underestimated thing in CSE prep.
    +1. I've been immensely benefited from @MisfitMedico , @Neyawn , @Antecedant and the entire ForumIAS in general. A good mentor can save precious years of your youth that are lost in figuring out what to read, how to approach, what NOT to study etc etc. :)
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
  • bhai kuch 'guidance waidance' nhi chahiye hota,, khud ka rasta banao.. keep failing and analyzing mistakes.. 1 saal extra lagega.. but u will learn a lot.. keep enjoying the process.. may be world is waiting for your strategy and you are looking into other's strategy. have self belief..

all the best.. :smile:
    ·
  • Cremator said:

bhai kuch 'guidance waidance' nhi chahiye hota,, khud ka rasta banao.. keep failing and analyzing mistakes.. 1 saal extra lagega.. but u will learn a lot.. keep enjoying the process.. may be world is waiting for your strategy and you are looking into other's strategy. have self belief..

all the best.. :smile:

Well said @Cremator
    ·
  • Only proper guidance I can give you is that please give your first attempt as your best nd fully prepared attempt.Take two years before prelims.Warna bhai bhut buri cycle me phas jaaoge nd kbhi syllabus complete nahi hoga nd u will only do " catching up"

Instead "lead " your preparation.
    ·
  • edited April 29

+1. I've been immensely benefited from @MisfitMedico , @Neyawn , @Antecedant and the entire ForumIAS in general. A good mentor can save precious years of your youth that are lost in figuring out what to read, how to approach, what NOT to study etc etc. :)
    Please @DrKingSchultz can you make a pointwise list vreifly explaining the gist of advise you that u have been given and has ven immesely helpful to you
    ·
  • Is there any "Hidden guidance" for UPSC preparation which coaching provide or topper's interview+websites reveale everything?

Please @DrKingSchultz can you make a pointwise list vreifly explaining the gist of advise you that u have been given and has ven immesely helpful to you
    I will. But I would prefer to do so after the results are out. The advice mainly pertains to mains, so I think a month here or there wouldn't make much difference. :)
    ·

I will. But I would prefer to do so after the results are out. The advice mainly pertains to mains, so I think a month here or there wouldn't make much difference. :)
    Yep , make a detailed post regarding it ( and disable comments)
    ·

Yep , make a detailed post regarding it ( and disable comments)
    Sure. (Good idea :P )
    ·
  • edited April 30

There is no hidden guidence , Everything boils down to Discipline , the coaching walas get to many people to suceed is because they are able to provide a timetable and discipline
    And as a lot of money of student is at stake ,the students tend to be more serious

You made me wake from my deep slumber of non-participation and write this at 6 AM, skipping my morning jog.

Here is the thing.

If there is one thing that is required most for this exam, it is

1) Right guidance
    2) Right Guidance in the very first attempt.

When people decide to write CSE, they are full of energy, and have enhanced ability to study , especially those who leave their jobs and come - since they have a lot at stake , plus they also have developed the emotional maturity to study despite not feeling like to - thats something you learn at workplace.

As long as you have that energy and the right guidance, you chances of success are high. Remember that your ability to benefit from the right guidance decreases with your your age, attempt , as your energy levels drop, your enthusiasm is missing, and you are closer to day dreaming than making actual effort.

Also, you are so frozen into what you know that it is difficult to change. One good way to identify it is if you are stuck at the same achievement level - for example, stuck at Prelims stage year after year, or unable to crack Mains year after year. Then you know you need help.

Self discovery is good, and things work for you only when you "self-realize" it , but it takes time. The only risk involved here is what if your energy levels / enthusiasm drops or financial pressure / family pressure / aging catches up? So it is good to seek help from someone you know or trust, and make incremental progress.

Again, guidance is the bottleneck for people who do not know what to do .

It may not be a problem fro people who know what to do but are unable to do it.

While this may seem like an easy problem , it is not, Because , people who do not know that they do not know - are least willing to learn as they think that they know.

A lot of people apply to work with ForumIAS after Mains, and a lot of many of them make it with improved ranks. I often bait them they if they do something right, they will have access to my advice :tongue:

And I have seen that people who intern at ForumIAS in Gurgaon - the ones that have appeared for the interview or are in some service, such as the IIS or IRS often say - I am not sure if I can do it/ My english is not as good as you, I will try my best etc.

For example, @ surbendu on the Forum or @ greymatterrules before getting into IRS and IAS were helping out with a couple of things , and they would always say that - It is difficult , will take time, but can be done.

But people who have not cleared Prelims 5 times in a row, sitting right next to them, will often say I know how to do it and it is easy, wont take much time etc., but they will ultimately Not do it.

That is because unless you have learned things the hard way , you do not know anything about it, and research [will cite later] shows that people who know nothing or absolutely everything about something share the same confidence level.

This is frightening.

So my basic question to you is -
    1) How do you know you have Guidance?
    2) How do you know that the Guidance is right?

One good way to find out if you have guidance is 1) the availability of help / advice on some area where you have doubt or confusion in making a decision. If you have something like that , you probably have guidance. The second criteria is that the advice rendered to you here on forum or by some friend should NOT be nihilistic. A nihilistic help is usually worded like this - " It is totally luck"

The problem with such help ( despite being often true , I dont dispute that ) is that it offers no plan of action or action Points - by which I mean - you read the guidance article , it motivated you, and yet you do not know what to do about it as the guidance advice offers no real solutions - much like the how Marxists would want to create an ideal world.

I will give you an example. I met Sushant 4 months before the Prelims. He was writing his fourth Prelims and had not written a single Mains.

He had joined Political Science Test Series by Shubhra Ma'am. Brilliang Test Series. I asked him, if 120 days before the Prelims , why did he join an Optional Test Series? He said he did it so that he revises his optional before Prelim so that after Prelims , with less time available Optional is not a problem

I asked him - are you bad at Pol Sc? He shyly told me he is good, but again he has appeared for Mains, so he doesn't really know.

I asked him what he is doing about Prelims. He had not joined a Test Series, but said he wasnt writing it, as "But I am comfortable with Prelims"

I asked him, what makes you comfortable? Is it the AC in the room? Or is it the fan? Because we can switch it off to make you uncomfortable. And then find out your actual comfort levels. How do you know how you are doing?

Most people who take the exam seriously, including this guy, who yesterday became a DM join Test Series just to track their progress. Then when you become super good at Prelims and have cleared it more than once, you just practice papers because you know you will get through - all you have to do is to NOT lose touch.

He asked me what I should do. I was furious, and I probably told him write a letter to your father stating "Facts" - I have not cleared Prelims four time , however I have not joined a Prelims Test Series . I have not written Mains even once, but I have joined a Mains Test Series, that costs twice as much.

Your father would be your best mentor.

You see, Sushant was
    1) trying to solve a problem that did not exist in the first place ( He may actually be good at Pol. Sc. and dint need it)
    2) ignoring a problem that he annually faces ( He failed at Prelims every year and would grow comfortable every year, not joining a TS that would relatively rank him , and make him uncomfortable )

I know why Sushant does it annually. I also know this time again in Dec-Jan he will join Mains Test Series, because he refuses to open his eyes to reality.

Guidance, is the single most important thing for this exam, and it is a good idea to have it when you still have the energy, age and enthusiasm to use to your benefit.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • If I can remember it correctly Artika Shukla in her session at vision after getting selected said "I had my brother guiding me". I think this what genuine guidance or mentorship would be.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

There is no hidden guidence , Everything boils down to Discipline , the coaching walas get to many people to suceed is because they are able to provide a timetable and discipline

You made me wake from my deep slumber of non-participation and write this at 6 AM, skipping my morning jog.

Here is the thing.

1) Right guidance

When people decide to write CSE, they are full of energy, and have enhanced ability to study , especially those who leave their jobs and come - since they have a lot at stake , plus they also have developed the emotional maturity to study despite not feeling like to - thats something you learn at workplace.

As long as you have that energy and the right guidance, you chances of success are high. Remember that your ability to benefit from the right guidance decreases with your your age, attempt , as your energy levels drop, your enthusiasm is missing, and you are closer to day dreaming than making actual effort.

Also, you are so frozen into what you know that it is difficult to change. One good way to identify it is if you are stuck at the same achievement level - for example, stuck at Prelims stage year after year, or unable to crack Mains year after year. Then you know you need help.

Self discovery is good, and things work for you only when you "self-realize" it , but it takes time. The only risk involved here is what if your energy levels / enthusiasm drops or financial pressure / family pressure / aging catches up? So it is good to seek help from someone you know or trust, and make incremental progress.

While this may seem like an easy problem , it is not, Because , people who do not know that they do not know - are least willing to learn as they think that they know.

A lot of people apply to work with ForumIAS after Mains, and a lot of many of them make it with improved ranks. I often bait them they if they do something right, they will have access to my advice :tongue:

And I have seen that people who intern at ForumIAS in Gurgaon - the ones that have appeared for the interview or are in some service, such as the IIS or IRS often say - I am not sure if I can do it/ My english is not as good as you, I will try my best etc.

For example, @ surbendu on the Forum or @ greymatterrules before getting into IRS and IAS were helping out with a couple of things , and they would always say that - It is difficult , will take time, but can be done.

But people who have not cleared Prelims 5 times in a row, sitting right next to them, will often say I know how to do it and it is easy, wont take much time etc., but they will ultimately Not do it.

That is because unless you have learned things the hard way , you do not know anything about it, and research [will cite later] shows that people who know nothing or absolutely everything about something share the same confidence level.

This is frightening.

One good way to find out if you have guidance is 1) the availability of help / advice on some area where you have doubt or confusion in making a decision. If you have something like that , you probably have guidance. The second criteria is that the advice rendered to you here on forum or by some friend should NOT be nihilistic. A nihilistic help is usually worded like this - " It is totally luck"

The problem with such help ( despite being often true , I dont dispute that ) is that it offers no plan of action or action Points - by which I mean - you read the guidance article , it motivated you, and yet you do not know what to do about it as the guidance advice offers no real solutions - much like the how Marxists would want to create an ideal world.

I will give you an example. I met Sushant 4 months before the Prelims. He was writing his fourth Prelims and had not written a single Mains.

He had joined Political Science Test Series by Shubhra Ma'am. Brilliang Test Series. I asked him, if 120 days before the Prelims , why did he join an Optional Test Series? He said he did it so that he revises his optional before Prelim so that after Prelims , with less time available Optional is not a problem

I asked him - are you bad at Pol Sc? He shyly told me he is good, but again he has appeared for Mains, so he doesn't really know.

I asked him what he is doing about Prelims. He had not joined a Test Series, but said he wasnt writing it, as "But I am comfortable with Prelims"

I asked him, what makes you comfortable? Is it the AC in the room? Or is it the fan? Because we can switch it off to make you uncomfortable. And then find out your actual comfort levels. How do you know how you are doing?

Most people who take the exam seriously, including this guy, who yesterday became a DM join Test Series just to track their progress. Then when you become super good at Prelims and have cleared it more than once, you just practice papers because you know you will get through - all you have to do is to NOT lose touch.

He asked me what I should do. I was furious, and I probably told him write a letter to your father stating "Facts" - I have not cleared Prelims four time , however I have not joined a Prelims Test Series . I have not written Mains even once, but I have joined a Mains Test Series, that costs twice as much.

You see, Sushant was
    1) trying to solve a problem that did not exist in the first place ( He may actually be good at Pol. Sc. and dint need it)
    2) ignoring a problem that he annually faces ( He failed at Prelims every year and would grow comfortable every year, not joining a TS that would relatively rank him , and make him uncomfortable )

I know why Sushant does it annually. I also know this time again in Dec-Jan he will join Mains Test Series, because he refuses to open his eyes to reality.

Guidance, is the single most important thing for this exam, and it is a good idea to have it when you still have the energy, age and enthusiasm to use to your benefit.

+1 , great advise
    ·
  • Well..let me interject and point out..TS doesn't look like willing to appreciate the depth of arguments and analysis put up here about role and significance of guidance in preparation.

May be (I am nt sure) he is a newbie who is just fascinated by the mysteries woven around this exam and some aberrant selections or some misunderstood jackpot hitters...that's why he used phrase like "hidden guidance".

Cant's you see how overloaded this phrase is! He might be thinking like he is nt privileged enough like many others and there are secret coteries of some extra smart and well do to people who have some formula and they don't reveal it to the normal ones... if that is the case then you see you are providing a square-peg-guidance for a round-hole- doubt :wink:

When someone asks such overloaded question..usually he knows the "foolish answer" but still he asks it..because he needs external validation of his foolhardy adventure of reaching to the stupid judgement. (unfortunately! that's how mind works)

Well guidance is a great thing to have but unfortunately..the kind of guidance one is looking for is worth having or not is not guided by anyone (or very rare ones) and guidance you are looking for might be available in plenty at first sight..but how to choose one among them again requires some guidance..which again is extremely rare!!

Why to be a "dahi bhalla" when you can become fried split black gram dumpling smothered with sweetened yoghurt, tamarind and mint sauce.
    ·
  • Well..let me interject and point out..TS doesn't look like willing to appreciate the depth of arguments and analysis put up here about role and significance of guidance in preparation.

May be (I am nt sure) he is a newbie who is just fascinated by the mysteries woven around this exam and some aberrant selections or some misunderstood jackpot hitters...that's why he used phrase like "hidden guidance".

Cant's you see how overloaded this phrase is! He might be thinking like he is nt privileged enough like many others and there are secret coteries of some extra smart and well do to people who have some formula and they don't reveal it to the normal ones... if that is the case then you see you are providing a square-peg-guidance for a round-hole- doubt :wink:

When someone asks such overloaded question..usually he knows the "foolish answer" but still he asks it..because he needs external validation of his foolhardy adventure of reaching to the stupid judgement. (unfortunately! that's how mind works)

Well guidance is a great thing to have but unfortunately..the kind of guidance one is looking for is worth having or not is not guided by anyone (or very rare ones) and guidance you are looking for might be available in plenty at first sight..but how to choose one among them again requires some guidance..which again is extremely rare!!

Thats correct. There are two things I would like to add

1) That guidance is very well available free of cost, right here on this forum itself. Anyone who has gone through comments posted by so many people here can get one. All one needs to do is dig a little and PM someone. I know this because I myself ( self-boast :P ) had close to 800 thank you messages from people who secured a rank and had followed a few things I had shared my learning ( I counted because my account was deleted by someone, and then I thought maybe I should work on a database of in service people and also to see how many people in services sill log in once in a while )

2) You can read the comments of neaderthal who has put up a lot of wisdom, and the collective work of IWRA , nuralian , mango_dolly ( for Pub Ad is also very exhaustive ) for anyone who wants to get started.

3) You can also see for yourself ( seeing-for-oneself ) is the best way to know how different people with good ranks are and what they did or were doing before getting a rank. For example, you can see jonsnow almost graduate here from knowing nothing to making it to the list of Shalimar from being in self doubt to getting IAS.

The music is all around you. All you gotta do is listen
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Here is the thing.

1) Right guidance

This is frightening.

You see, Sushant was

I cant believe somebody writing so awesomely at 6am.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Well..let me interject and point out..TS doesn't look like willing to appreciate the depth of arguments and analysis put up here about role and significance of guidance in preparation.

Thats correct. There are two things I would like to add

1) That guidance is very well available free of cost, right here on this forum itself. Anyone who has gone through comments posted by so many people here can get one. All one needs to do is dig a little and PM someone. I know this because I myself ( self-boast :P ) had close to 800 thank you messages from people who secured a rank and had followed a few things I had shared my learning ( I counted because my account was deleted by someone, and then I thought maybe I should work on a database of in service people and also to see how many people in services sill log in once in a while )

2) You can read the comments of neaderthal who has put up a lot of wisdom, and the collective work of IWRA , nuralian , mango_dolly ( for Pub Ad is also very exhaustive ) for anyone who wants to get started.

3) You can also see for yourself ( seeing-for-oneself ) is the best way to know how different people with good ranks are and what they did or were doing before getting a rank. For example, you can see jonsnow almost graduate here from knowing nothing to making it to the list of Shalimar from being in self doubt to getting IAS.

The music is all around you. All you gotta do is listen

@Neyawn , the mods must compile and post all those tips in one POST ( mark it as announcement etc , and diable comments) , which must always be on top ( allowing only seasoned players to edit and contribute ) , thus a lot of new threads could be eliminated via this method
    ·
  • Guidance is everything in this exam. If you don't get right guidance you have high chances of failure. I say this based on my own experience.
    ·

• A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    https://twitter.com/JFL_Kingslayer
    https://jflkingslayer.blogspot.in/
    jlkingslayer@gmail.com
    ·

• Well guidance is a great thing to have but unfortunately..the kind of guidance one is looking for is worth having or not is not guided by anyone (or very rare ones) and guidance you are looking for might be available in plenty at first sight..but how to choose one among them again requires some guidance..which again is extremely rare!!

Nailed it!
    There is irreparable loss when we end up making a wrong choice.

All that glitters is not gold.
    But the more unfortunate thing is...
    All that is gold does not glitter!

You either get bitter or you get better.
    The choice does not belong to fate. It belongs to you!
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Here is the thing.

1) Right guidance

This is frightening.

You see, Sushant was

801 wala THANKS. Eye-opener
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog