Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

How to analyse test series papers to derive maximum benefits?

Please someone share how to analyse a test series papers to close the errors and weaknesses? Is it about reading whole book/chapter again or reading specific thing related with concept of the questions? Someone told maintain a close diary of errors, is it good to do that?
@Neyawn @pizza @DrKingSchultz @freeman @stable_graphene @raksha @Ferrero_rocher

[ mod note :
Step 1 : Collect test series of everything you can possibly collect.
Step 2 : Dont solve them.
Step 3 : Skim through, ignore known questions/concepts and highlight unknown questions/concepts.
Step 4 : Update your knowledge, write any relevant information beside it.
Step 5 : Mug up the highlighted part again and again. ]

Comments

• I am from gen category and have always qualified prelims, with good marks in GS. In my experience, no test series for prelims is needed ...and its just not my personal experience, but also several of my friends who alws scored good in Prelims GS, some of them are now IAS ,IPS, IRS, and so on who never joined any test series for GS prelims.

So, my honest suggestion is that don't waste ur precious time in test series, just keep revising the authentic books/materials. Nothing else is needed for Prelims GS, moreover at this golden hour when revision is of utmost importance. No test series is going to help u.

I myself run a test series on my website, but I do it for money. Honest suggestion is not to join a test series if u are a 'serious ' aspirant.

• edited April 20
    @freeman
    I have a slight disagreement with what my friend has to say.
    The thing is we have fixed sources, books and monthly CAs compilations which we have to complete and all the test series which are based on parts of syllabus or else subject wise.
    We all know that majority of the Test Series questions will be based (read taken up from) those specific portions of the syllabus/subject. The idea is the learn that portion really well. Understand it, Cram it, whatever way. (I know people who have crammed Laxmikanth by Mnemonics).

But Test Series, wasting our time, thats a personal call.
    I think they are important, not like the way many toppers have said that 'practice practice, maximum questions and yu will be through'. They say maybe because of the virtue of being 'toppers', they tend to have been sincere students and thus practice from them(most of them) is usally an exercise after they have understood and remembered each and every detail, as per the syllabus. So even they are not wrong it perceiving that an average student will also work as hard as they did, finish the static part and practice through questions.

Now the vital part, how to gain maximum from Test Series.
    Firstly, I believe that since no test series will be starting now you must be asking about the TSs you have picked from Market, say Insights or Vision.
    The best way is to treat Part Tests, ie single subject based ones as Material and go through them one Test a day.
    You can mark important point with a Co loured ink for quick revision later.

You should be done with this say by 15th may. Then you can really test your level with Full Length Tests of those TSs in a proper manner and track your score.

This, apart from reading and revising the basic books, is the best we can do to accommodate our name in the Pre Qualifiers.
    All the best!

CC: @Robinson_crusoe
    Geography Optional.
  • I think test series gives rich dividends only when the prelims paper will be current affairs based like 2015, 2016. In the event of GS paper turns out to be based on concepts like that of 2013 paper then no test series will be beneficial. In this case solving test papers will give only test practice.
  • edited April 21
    Need-

If the test is for Running then practice 'Running' everyday.

Of the test is of 'Swimming' then 'Swim' everyday.

If the test is of Reading then 'Read' everyday.

If the test is of 'Solving MCQs' then 'Solve as many MCQs as possible' Everyday.

Peace !!
    Humanity is above all.
  • Approach-
    Skip reading answer to those Qstns about which you are enlightened already (Buddha type).- saves time boosts moral & gives confidence & a nitro thrust.

Read and then re-read answers/explanations to those Qstns which seem like coming from Mars. - Moksha prapti, Kaivalya, Buddha enlightened, mission accompalished.

If you are wise then re-vise.
    Humanity is above all.
  • Solving test series is very important.Not because you need to know how much you are scoring or whether you can cram the test series questions that might get asked but because solving MCQ'S ARE AN EFFICIENT WAY TO COMMIT INFORMATION TO LONG TERM MEMORY.

Reading is inefficient.It creates a sense of falsehood in our brain.Rereading the same material makes us think we have learnt the material whereas in fact the recognition of previously read material is being falsely taken as remembering it.

Also MCQ'S highlight data from chapters that we may have overlooked or not revisd properly.

So my advice: get section wise test series.Then get an ncert and then a CA specific test series

Solve them all.( 1 hour per paper , not two)

Benefits

Stronger memory
    Know areas you have skipped or understood incorrectly
    Doing them in one hour will prepare your brain to accelarate its reasoning and data retrieval process.( Absolutely crucial )

Solve less number of mocks but solve them well.

Make sure you revise what you do not know from mocks IMMIDIATELY AFTER the mock so that your brain can use the feedback and make stronger memory connections.Itd hard and lengthy but itll sure improve your score on the 18th.

Diary of errors is good to make.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • Thank you everyone for suggestions :)
  • Please someone share how to analyse a test series papers to close the errors and weaknesses? Is it about reading whole book/chapter again or reading specific thing related with concept of the questions? Someone told maintain a close diary of errors, is it good to do that?
    @Neyawn @pizza @DrKingSchultz @freeman @stable_graphene @raksha @Ferrero_rocher

[ mod note :
    Step 1 : Collect test series of everything you can possibly collect.
    Step 2 : Dont solve them.
    Step 3 : Skim through, ignore known questions/concepts and highlight unknown questions/concepts.
    Step 4 : Update your knowledge, write any relevant information beside it.
    Step 5 : Mug up the highlighted part again and again. ]

A good way will be to at least read on the concepts in which you have made errors. Do it only for the primary Test Series you have joined. You cannot do it for all Test papers you may go through. Do not solve more than 2 Test papers if you are a beginner, and if you are not, and have cleared prelims before more than once, you can do anything that you like.

Especially for issues of Environment , S & T, CA, do read up on the concepts asked. Refer to Wikipedia liberally . Since these sections do not have one fixed source ( like Laxmikant for Polity , for example ), the Internet helps.

Also, do solve past ten years papers really well. You wont need much advice after that since you will get an idea on how to proceed yourself. Feel free to keep thread ALIVE .
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog