43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Solving test vs revision

Basic sources done ( twice)
Fresher
What should I do now. Solve as many as test possible or revise again .
·

Comments

• Solve a couple of tests. Figure out your weak portions and revise them.
    ·
  • Solve test to ascertain quality of ur revision...u ll feel the change..
    ·
  • gamer said:

Fresher

Doing something twice is not a good number, not for UPSC Prelims. In fact, doing it two times is just the beginning of things. A minimum of three readings are required to grasp things for most people. 4-5 revision is what would be a good number , so that you can be assured of not having negative marks.

Remember that questions in UPSC are a little tricky , and anyone who hasnt revised well is likely to mark things wrong due to lack of revision.

It would be a good idea to take one paid test series , where you see your ranks and are able to benchmark yourself well. This should be your primary test series. Apart from that, at your will, you can solve any one another test series which you can pick up from somewhere, for the sake of practice.

I assume that in the first revision, you would have gone through the text and in the second revision you would have underlined things and highlighted them.

In the third iteration, you would be able to push some of it into your memory.

Do not go for solving Test series mindlessly. Note that free intiatives by websites like ForumIAS, Insights or even vision ias and any "start up" websites appear to do well when the paper is current affairs oriented.

When the paper is conventional, the strike rate of any test series goes down.

In 2009, the Prelims paper was very current oriented. In 2010 there were 1-2 CA questions in Prelims, but Current Questions started to appear in Mains. In 2011 and 2012, there were virtually no or minimal questions from CA in Prelims, while in the Mains examination, the paper because CA oriented, so much so that upto 100 marks of questions were from 2 markers and 5 markers ( Take a look at Past Papers )

Between 2012- 2015 the Mains was fully CA oriented and Prelims had less weight-age of CA. From 2015 the weightage of CA in Prelims creeped in while in the Mains, the re-emergence of static part is beginning to appear - see last years paper for instance.

My point is - 2 revisions is not enough, unless you have a photographic memory ( a good way to test is how you scored in school and college - people score well in college and school for variety of reasons, ranging from being genius to having great memory, but almost inevitably, a person with photographic memory does well in school and esp in college, where they just manage to score well by reading things once )

Also, do not jump into solving papers. You will need to write any ONE test series of your choice so that you are in the loop, but apart from that , banking on test series for full preparation is fallacious. Prelims Test Series only work when CA weightage is high.

Secondly, quite often it leads to fragmented preparation, where you know all the questions and points asked from a concept in the Test Series, but do not know things apart from it. It is more recommended to read books again and again and attempt one or at max two test papers.

Why would gloomydespair ask you to solve papers instead

Because gloomy is at a different stage of preparation than you. He has prepared his Static Part decently ( I have seen some of his attempted prelims papers last year ) and has written at least two mains. It would be painful , if not torturous , for him to study same old laxmikant, spectrum, ncert goegraphy and what not again and again.

And he has developed a level with respect to Prelims. All he needs to do is be in practice, which he does by writing Tests weekly / bi weekly etc.

With two mains, it would be almost impossible for him to be able to study the same old same old basic books. Its natural for most people. He is not alone.

So for him, solving papers would be a primary way of preparation. Same would be the case with members here like @DrKingSchultz who wrote their third prelims ( and appeared for Interview too, Yay! :) ). So they would recommend you to solve papers. However, if you carefully see their attempts of any paper they have solved ( I do keep taking a look doctor :) )they have done the static part rocksolid. They studied well from the books. Once thats done, multiple test series becomes a primary means of preparation, because you have nothing left to read!

But thats not what you should be doing in your first attempt. Prepare your basics well. Read, underline, revise.
    Remember that if you do not build your basics well in the first attempt, it will be virtually impossible for you to build them any later.

Revise and re-revise right now.. Master the books. Attempt at the most two test papers. Once you have done that, write as many tests as you can/ want to.

Hope it helps.

Please feel free to cross questions, so that you get my point.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • I think this is the best advice/guidance for Pre.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Doing something twice is not a good number, not for UPSC Prelims. In fact, doing it two times is just the beginning of things. A minimum of three readings are required to grasp things for most people. 4-5 revision is what would be a good number , so that you can be assured of not having negative marks.

Remember that questions in UPSC are a little tricky , and anyone who hasnt revised well is likely to mark things wrong due to lack of revision.

It would be a good idea to take one paid test series , where you see your ranks and are able to benchmark yourself well. This should be your primary test series. Apart from that, at your will, you can solve any one another test series which you can pick up from somewhere, for the sake of practice.

I assume that in the first revision, you would have gone through the text and in the second revision you would have underlined things and highlighted them.

Do not go for solving Test series mindlessly. Note that free intiatives by websites like ForumIAS, Insights or even vision ias and any "start up" websites appear to do well when the paper is current affairs oriented.

In 2009, the Prelims paper was very current oriented. In 2010 there were 1-2 CA questions in Prelims, but Current Questions started to appear in Mains. In 2011 and 2012, there were virtually no or minimal questions from CA in Prelims, while in the Mains examination, the paper because CA oriented, so much so that upto 100 marks of questions were from 2 markers and 5 markers ( Take a look at Past Papers )

Between 2012- 2015 the Mains was fully CA oriented and Prelims had less weight-age of CA. From 2015 the weightage of CA in Prelims creeped in while in the Mains, the re-emergence of static part is beginning to appear - see last years paper for instance.

My point is - 2 revisions is not enough, unless you have a photographic memory ( a good way to test is how you scored in school and college - people score well in college and school for variety of reasons, ranging from being genius to having great memory, but almost inevitably, a person with photographic memory does well in school and esp in college, where they just manage to score well by reading things once )

Also, do not jump into solving papers. You will need to write any ONE test series of your choice so that you are in the loop, but apart from that , banking on test series for full preparation is fallacious. Prelims Test Series only work when CA weightage is high.

Secondly, quite often it leads to fragmented preparation, where you know all the questions and points asked from a concept in the Test Series, but do not know things apart from it. It is more recommended to read books again and again and attempt one or at max two test papers.

Because gloomy is at a different stage of preparation than you. He has prepared his Static Part decently ( I have seen some of his attempted prelims papers last year ) and has written at least two mains. It would be painful , if not torturous , for him to study same old laxmikant, spectrum, ncert goegraphy and what not again and again.

And he has developed a level with respect to Prelims. All he needs to do is be in practice, which he does by writing Tests weekly / bi weekly etc.

With two mains, it would be almost impossible for him to be able to study the same old same old basic books. Its natural for most people. He is not alone.

So for him, solving papers would be a primary way of preparation. Same would be the case with members here like @DrKingSchultz who wrote their third prelims ( and appeared for Interview too, Yay! :) ). So they would recommend you to solve papers. However, if you carefully see their attempts of any paper they have solved ( I do keep taking a look doctor :) )they have done the static part rocksolid. They studied well from the books. Once thats done, multiple test series becomes a primary means of preparation, because you have nothing left to read!

But thats not what you should be doing in your first attempt. Prepare your basics well. Read, underline, revise.
    Remember that if you do not build your basics well in the first attempt, it will be virtually impossible for you to build them any later.

Revise and re-revise right now.. Master the books. Attempt at the most two test papers. Once you have done that, write as many tests as you can/ want to.

Hope it helps.

Thank you..bade Bhai..but let me throw some more details about my preparation .
    Polity - laxmikant - photographic memory ( paragraph level). Can answer 7 /10

History - rajiv ahir - paragraph level ( par bahut chota chota likha hai isliye dikkat hai ) + bipan Chandra both + Plassey to partition ( no photographic memory here) can answer 7/10

Ancient India + medieval India - ncert and Tamil nadu ( kitna Bhi padh lo bekar ho jata hai 2 din ke andar ) can answer 6-7/10

Geography - optional - can answer conceptual question easily 8/10. too weak in maps 1/5

Economy - ramesh Singh+ mrunal ( PM here ) 5-6-7/10

Art and culture - can answer broadly , general questions done - ( no Pm here ) 4-5/10 ncert + selected chapters of nitin singhania + nios

Environment - Shankar IAS ( ye book kabhi khatam hi nahi hoti.upar se mcq mein Bhi sare options sahi hi late hai ) + GKT but easy to moderate question can solve 5/10 photo graphic memory for some popular concepts i.e conventions , pollution..

Current affairs - only vision ias - 5/10

To sum up I just want to convey that I consider my self -
    strong - in history , polity , geography

Transition phase - economy

Weak - environment , current , art and culture.

So tell me bade Bhai kahan focus karoon weak areas pe ( par ye weak subjects Bhi hai pata nahi inse jyada question aayenge ki nahi....aur itne kam dino mein pata nahi consolidate ho payega ) ya to apni strength pe hi focus karoon. ?????

And all those extra terrestrial organisms ( toppers) recommend to solve tests.

* all conclusion are based after solving vision IAS test series ( scoring in range of 105- 125)
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

<3
    Prelims - 2, Mains - 1, Interview - 0.

Optional philosophy, Chomu-philosopher + Chomu-engineer!
    ·
  • Mug up insights and visionias test series. My friends did the same last year and they qualified with lesser amount of preparation. I focused on revision of static part and I couldnt clear.
    This time im going to be smart.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

Wow. <3
    #Account_Dormant_Back_in_Flow
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

People will argue on this also. But i believe this is the most practicle approach for prelims.
    ·
  • If by chance pre paper this year are similar to 2013-14 type then preparation mode based on solving lots of test papers would be futile.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

It is really painful to study same thing again :bawling: It feels like I failed and remained in the same class :confounded:
    ·
  • Any one give xamm.in test series,because they are giving 100 test in 990 rupee, I donot know it is worth or not,so plz guide me
    ·
  • Any one give xamm.in test series,because they are giving 100 test in 990 rupee, I donot know it is worth or not,so plz guide me

Should stick to insights ans vision. Bought their current affairs test last year were not so good
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

Thnks
    ·
  • @Neyawn Sir Provide mcq tips(elimination, no of attempts etc).

·
  • edited April 21
    Neyawn said:

gamer said:

Fresher

Hope it helps.

Grt tips bhai :+1:
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google