ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

[Distance Learning] M.A. (Geography) from any recognized Open University / Private Mode.

Hi guys,

I want to acquire a Master's degree in Geography in distance learning or private mode. Geography was my optional during all my 4 attempts in CSE and I truly fell in love with the subject. So much so that I've plans to write a book on some Geographical topic sometime later !!

But, to my surprise I couldn't find any decent open university offering M.A. (Geography) or a university providing M.A. (Private).

I'm already in a State PCS job and I have recently given my interview for CSE 2016 cycle. This was my last attempt anywhere. CSE and PCS included. Now, I want to concentrate on enhancing my knowledge. But due to a hectic job, I can only afford MA through distance or private mode.

Please suggest some recognized university which offers MA in Geography via distance leaning or private mode. Any other suggestion in this general area is most welcome.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Try IGNOU
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • ^^ Thanks for the reply bro...

The thing is, I took a CL on Saturday and made the weekend into a 3 day extended holiday. Since Friday, I have been searching the same topic. I have tried all popular universities and put Google to extensive use before posting the issue here !!

IGNOU doesn't provide MA in Geography. :|
  • edited April 16
    pks11630 said:

^^ Thanks for the reply bro...

The thing is, I took a CL on Saturday and made the weekend into a 3 day extended holiday. Since Friday, I have been searching the same topic. I have tried all popular universities and put Google to extensive use before posting the issue here !!

IGNOU doesn't provide MA in Geography. :|

It does. One of my friend is pursuing the course, he is in 2nd year now.
    I'll try to give you the details as soon as I talk to him.
    Slow and steady ain't enough. You gotta be Fast & Furious.
  • Some time back I also did this frantic search, but sadly couldn't find any Univ providing MA Geo in distance mode.
    The closest I came to was Kurukshetra univ but it requires a graduation in geography as eligibility!!
  • edited April 16
    @pks11630 Bhai, VMOU, Kota gives M.A. Geography course in distance mode... It's a UGC recognised state university of Rajasthan...

https://www.vmou.ac.in/

And guess what, you are especially lucky. Tomorrow is the last date of applying for M.A. I myself saw it now only !!
    And it's especially preferable for you as you are already a DSP over there... You can take the regional centre easily...

Keep in touch...
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
  • edited April 16
    @pks11630 Bhai VMOU. but they provide study material in Hindi.
  • @pks11630 Bhai, VMOU, Kota gives M.A. Geography course in distance mode... It's a UGC recognised state university of Rajasthan...

And guess what, you are especially lucky. Tomorrow is the last date of applying for M.A. I myself saw it now only !!
    And it's especially preferable for you as you are already a DSP over there... You can take the regional centre easily...

Keep in touch...

Thanks old monk... ;)
    You made my day... I will enrol in VMOU tonight itself... :)
  • edited April 16
    Leon said:

@pks11630 Bhai VMOU. but they provide study material in Hindi.

But they are showing the option of English medium in the application form... I don't need study material in English... Geography is my cup of tea...

I hope the examination papers come in English too... That's all I need...

Please tell more of your experience about it...
  • Cud smbdy go for 3 pg degrees together?I mean one frm DU ,2nd frm kota n 3rd frm IGNOU.Wud all of them b valid if i apply for any job aftr cmpletin them.Plz reply asap.
  • lucky5 said:

Cud smbdy go for 3 pg degrees together?I mean one frm DU ,2nd frm kota n 3rd frm IGNOU.Wud all of them b valid if i apply for any job aftr cmpletin them.Plz reply asap.

I can't think of a reason why you can't...

Unless the end sems clash...
  • @pks11630 Bhai, VMOU, Kota gives M.A. Geography course in distance mode... It's a UGC recognised state university of Rajasthan...

Keep in touch...

Thanks bro... I was looking for this too...
  • lucky5 said:

Cud smbdy go for 3 pg degrees together?I mean one frm DU ,2nd frm kota n 3rd frm IGNOU.Wud all of them b valid if i apply for any job aftr cmpletin them.Plz reply asap.

Yes, of course, they wud be valid.
    But as @Indian_Cheetah said above, you should be able to successfully complete them all. Without affecting your prep, of course.

Keep in touch...

I have applied for this course. It is actually a M.Sc (Geography) course, as I came to know till now.

Same heads up:
    * The study material is invariably in Hindi but the exam papers are both in Hindi as well as English. So, if your purpose is study material, then plan accordingly.
    * The study centres and exam centres for this university are in Rajasthan only. So, you will have to come to Rajasthan only to write exams and practical etc.

All the best...
  • Thank u @Indian cheetah n pks
  • How is MA geography course of JNU from UPSC preparation point of view?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog