Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Living in a fearful world.

Hello, I have been into prep since 9 months. Was very anxious about prep. So wasted alot of time then about my apprehensions. This year, i wish to take optional coaching. All the while wenever, i meet my elder sibling that i listen enough of sarcastic tanne that am running away from responsibilities all d while, while keeping myself in the guise of prep. Prev year, i lacked guidance. But still ll gv prelims. Coz i am 91 born n dont want to waste attempt like this n lack exp of exam. However there are few things n fear in my mind.

1. While living in aloof world, devoid of social interactions n society market. Am very poor in basic calculation. A kind of dyscalculia.
2. Whenever i used to go to market, i fail to calculate things, i dont know how much quantity is to measured n how much should i pay for it.
3. once i have been told by my elders, that this much quantity fetches this much veg/ fruit then, i always buy that much quantity only irrespective of more / less is requirement.

Wen it comes to deciding b/w two numbers, this much bill or that int bill, which one should i keep n which one to degrade. I get totally confused.
Even if soneone asks me change hai kya ( in r.s) i fail to see why change is required and calculate it. So i go by direct calculation on my mobile. I dont go into issue of calculating/ giving/ taking change.

I hv been fooled quite a few times by my calculations. And at other times, i purchase v. Less things/ quantity n pay less in order to avoid my mistakes n save myself from monetary loss ( in case if happens)

So sometimes, i think i fear all this to live in delhi. And also wen i did teaching fr few months. They gave me salary to count, i could not count by hands at time. And also had to repeatedly count again n again. I got same mistakes. In calculation. And also wen i was toatalling attendence, i failed miserably in doing that right, on top of that i was being scolded by senior teachers, i messed up my attendence diary with untidyness n wrong calculation.

On 90%of times, i am totally puzzled n confused wat should i decide n if i decide. Am not sure that if i hv decided right? My elders say am not mature as my age

Please help me. How can i improve this and get out of this fear?
·

Comments

• edited March 30
    I can relate to some extent thru my experience with shopkeepers who would round off the price to a full number by adjusting the weight like 25 rs paiya into 30 rs equivaent weight. I sometime try to calculate and mess up midway thru the calculation, and leave it there, consoling myself somewhere that my quant skills need little practice. I think that's the solution for you as well. Practice quant, buy a typical qaunt book and practice daily 1hr or as much you feel like, in the morning. You will get better.
    तदबीर से बिगड़ी हुई तक़दीर बना ले, अपने पे भरोसा है तो एक दाँव लगा ले।
    ·
  • I dont know what is paiya and all n how it is calculated @Richard_Parker
    ·
  • edited March 30

I dont know what is paiya and all n how it is calculated @Richard_Parker

ek paav - 250 g :grimace: 'paiya' is the term used in punjab.

I gave example of whatever number just came in my mind. or take any example like 25 rs for 500 g, and shopkeeper says shoud i make it for Rs 30, or 60 Rs for 250 g and making it to Rs 70 equivalent weight. These kind of things that shopkeeper do to avoid giving change, or in reality do some baniyagiri, taking avantage of the fact that most people are troubled by calculations
    ·
  • edited March 30
    I dont get all this.. totally noob @Richard_Parker
    ·
  • I dont get all this..

practice kro
    ·
  • I didn't know the meaning of noob, am I worse?
    ·
  • Hey!
    I think, it happens mostly when you are not habituated to do the "practical" calculations as in purchasing stuffs etc.
    Its quite normal. And how come maturity is linked with basic calculation?

You are just afraid that you will mess up, nothing else. Take your time to calculate things, take help of a friend may be. Explain this issue to your elder sibling and say clearly that you need his/her help to sort it out!

And next time while calculating, be confident and take your own time. Relax.
    Dum Spiro Spero
    ·
  • Totally noob . Noob means, totally unknown to me.

I didn't know the meaning of noob, am I worse?

·
  • edited March 30
    Elder sibling makes fun of me coz sibling says you hv grown up now. Still u do such mistakes and she makes mockery. In shop while purchasing stuff i feel shy to calculate on copy pen ( usmein bhi i make mistakes). Mentally i forget calculations so i hv to use calculator n i calculate wen i return back to home.

Bachpan mein elder sibling used to teach me maths, i used to start crying wen koi que solve ni hota tha.

Hey!
    I think, it happens mostly when you are not habituated to do the "practical" calculations as in purchasing stuffs etc.

You are just afraid that you will mess up, nothing else. Take your time to calculate things, take help of a friend may be. Explain this issue to your elder sibling and say clearly that you need his/her help to sort it out!

·
  • edited March 30
    Historical origin of NOOB.

1. Newcomers were ragged. Newbie was anyone who was fresh in the system.

2. Newbie became New'b, following the weird American custom of messing up everything that came their way.

3. News in America is pronounced as Noo's. It was obvious that those punks would pronounce New'b as Noo'b.

4. There, we got our first Noob.

:-)
    ·
  • edited March 30

Elder sibling makes fun of me coz sibling says you hv grown up now. Still u do such mistakes and she makes mockery. In shop while purchasing stuff i feel shy to calculate on copy pen ( usmein bhi i make mistakes). Mentally i forget calculations so i hv to use cslculator n cn calculate wen i return back to my home.

Hey!

You just get nervous and lack confidence while calculating. Nothing else. Take your own time while calculating, aaram se bill le kr tally kro.. apna time hai, paise bhi apne hi dene hain ...shy kya ismein? I also do it agar confusion hoti hai to and i never feel shy, ismein kya shy feel krna. Kaun sa illegal kaam hai.

Trust me... if you practice this over a week ye farzi tension to khtm hi ho jayegi k basic calculation nhi aati. Aur agar doubt ho to phone to hai hi..cross check kr lo.

Elder sibling ko bolo aapne maths achhe se nhi padhaya usi ka nateeja hai...ab galti sudhar lo :neutral:
    Dum Spiro Spero
    ·
  • Hello, I have been into prep since 9 months. Was very anxious about prep. So wasted alot of time then about my apprehensions. This year, i wish to take optional coaching. All the while wenever, i meet my elder sibling that i listen enough of sarcastic tanne that am running away from responsibilities all d while, while keeping myself in the guise of prep. Prev year, i lacked guidance. But still ll gv prelims. Coz i am 91 born n dont want to waste attempt like this n lack exp of exam. However there are few things n fear in my mind.

1. While living in aloof world, devoid of social interactions n society market. Am very poor in basic calculation. A kind of dyscalculia.
    2. Whenever i used to go to market, i fail to calculate things, i dont know how much quantity is to measured n how much should i pay for it.
    3. once i have been told by my elders, that this much quantity fetches this much veg/ fruit then, i always buy that much quantity only irrespective of more / less is requirement.

Wen it comes to deciding b/w two numbers, this much bill or that int bill, which one should i keep n which one to degrade. I get totally confused.
    Even if soneone asks me change hai kya ( in r.s) i fail to see why change is required and calculate it. So i go by direct calculation on my mobile. I dont go into issue of calculating/ giving/ taking change.

I hv been fooled quite a few times by my calculations. And at other times, i purchase v. Less things/ quantity n pay less in order to avoid my mistakes n save myself from monetary loss ( in case if happens)

So sometimes, i think i fear all this to live in delhi. And also wen i did teaching fr few months. They gave me salary to count, i could not count by hands at time. And also had to repeatedly count again n again. I got same mistakes. In calculation. And also wen i was toatalling attendence, i failed miserably in doing that right, on top of that i was being scolded by senior teachers, i messed up my attendence diary with untidyness n wrong calculation.

On 90%of times, i am totally puzzled n confused wat should i decide n if i decide. Am not sure that if i hv decided right? My elders say am not mature as my age

Please help me. How can i improve this and get out of this fear?

Reading from your comments one thing is clear that you have good English writing and expression. So, forget about your mental math calculation problem because calculator is now in your mobile and you can improve by practice. Focus on your strength everyone has weakness of one type or another.
    ·
  • Start elemantry mathematics
    Like we used to teach children
    Do practice it and try to solve basic sum, subtraction, multiplication and division
    It's just the confidence that you are lacking
    Try it, u will surely get the result
    And don't listen anybody, they won't understand ur problem just keep urself happy by ignoring their immaturity
    U are more mature dear
    Good luck
    I have seen ppl learning this so you can
    Plzz smile, u can take a positive role in strengthening India's position up at GNH
    ·
  • Jagran said:

Start elemantry mathematics
    Like we used to teach children
    Do practice it and try to solve basic sum, subtraction, multiplication and division
    It's just the confidence that you are lacking
    Try it, u will surely get the result
    And don't listen anybody, they won't understand ur problem just keep urself happy by ignoring their immaturity
    U are more mature dear
    Good luck
    I have seen ppl learning this so you can
    Plzz smile, u can take a positive role in strengthening India's position up at GNH

Puchi <3
    Such a big lie just to maintain a veil!
    ·
  • Excessive criticism without suggesting or helping out is not a way. Elder Siblings shud leave aside their big ego n cooperate.
    ·
  • Well, I think it is more about the situational pressure where you have to calculate fast so as to not look foolish in front of others. I don't think it is about your calculating abilities because if given ample time, you would do it correctly.
    It's like the same thing when you are writing an exam and the teacher stands besides you and peeps at what you are writing. It makes people nervous.

If you ever feel like some shopkeeper is shortchanging you, ask him bluntly as how come he made that calculation. There's no shame in that.

And, then there's always "Unitary Method", that you can rely upon. Basics are always useful ;)
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·
  • Well, I think it is more about the situational pressure where you have to calculate fast so as to not look foolish in front of others. I don't think it is about your calculating abilities because if given ample time, you would do it correctly.
    It's like the same thing when you are writing an exam and the teacher stands besides you and peeps at what you are writing. It makes people nervous.

If you ever feel like some shopkeeper is shortchanging you, ask him bluntly as how come he made that calculation. There's no shame in that.

And, then there's always "Unitary Method", that you can rely upon. Basics are always useful ;)

lol hahahahahahahaha .... i was writing essay in exam ...and a young beautiful female invigilator came to me and started reading my copy ... hahaha i was so nervous ..... i hidden my copy with my hand ..... ki abhi door chali jaa meri nigaaho se .... :D :D :D
    PS- baat sahi hai bhai aapki :|
    ·

Yes, it looks foolish to count on a paper pen with them looking at ur calculations . It makes me feel that they will shortchange /fool me easily if they get to know that i am not fast at it. So i use calculator, and calculate with free mind after reaching home n return back to shop if i feel it was am mistake
    ·

Yes, it looks foolish to count on a paper pen with them looking at ur calculations . It makes me feel that they will shortchange /fool me easily if they get to know that i am not fast at it. So i use calculator, and calculate with free mind after reaching home n return back to shop if i feel it was am mistake
    arey why are u so worried .... i often lock my room and count it again and again ...had i locked it or not .... it happens but i m normal ...... very normal ......and about calculation why u take pressure when calculating .... think before u buy..how much quantity u want to buy ... it will solve your problem to a extent ..if shopkeeper says ki LOKI 500 nahi .... 600 gram kar di hai to 18 rupee padhega ... as i bought today only :D :D :D ... so take ur time ... 100 gram kaa nikaalo fatafat se ... aur jod do .kaise taise karke .... :| :| :|
    ·
  • edited March 30
    It seems difficult. Haan m phele he decide kar deti hun. Aur baad mein jab sabzi asks ki zyada krdu or say hogya hai. I strictly say no. As mein pehle he calculate krkr jati hu. Approx itta padega
    ·
  • It seems difficult. Haan m phele he decide kar deti hun. Aur baad mein jab sabzi asks ki zyada krdu or say hogya hai. I strictly say no. As mein pehle he calculate krkr jati hu. Approx itta padega

bhai abhi ignore karo .... strictly isse hi scohogi to aur badegi ye dikkat .darr baith gaya hai tumhaare andar dukaandaar se bhi darr jaati ho .. to batao ye darr to tumhe hi bhagaane hai .... ab ek kaam karo ..kal se rough calculation maaro agar jyaada bhi ho jaaye koi cheez aur de do .... paisa jyaada jaata hai jaane do ... kuch din ..lut nahi jaogi ..2 ki jagah 3 ji jaayenge naa ..... lekin stress kam ho jaayega ..sochna chor dogi ..baad mai dimaag apne aap inferiority aur darr chor dega ... usske baad sab sahi hi hoga .fir dukaan daar se jaake bolna ki aadhe kile nahi 635 gram loki do pehle soch kar hi ... confidence badhaane ko khud kaa ... :D .... but sach hai agar jyaada sochogi to jyaada badega .... u know calculation i know .... lekin kya hai ye sab ..darr hai ... mam ... aap chor do darrna .... bhagwaan pe bharosa rakho mam ... vo hai ...isws duniya mai ..kahi naa kahi :| :| :|
    ·
  • Ye gram ka mujhe nhi pata ki ek 500 gram n ol kitna hota h. Dont know. Ek baar sikha tha, elders ne sikhaya but yd krlia tab aur kbi apply ni kia. Regular market ni jaati. Abi toh parents he late hai sab
    ·
  • Ye gram ka mujhe nhi pata ki ek 500 gram n ol kitna hota h. Dont know. Ek baar sikha tha, elders ne sikhaya but yd krlia tab aur kbi apply ni kia. Regular market ni jaati. Abi toh parents he late hai sab

so its not fear u r poor at basic calculation .. it happens ....seekh lo pehle ...... ave yaar koi bhi cheez 1 kilo ki hoti to usse jaldi se 10 se divide maara karo ... 100 gram kaa calculation nikal kar aa jaayega .... ussi kaa multi ply kara karo ... like 30 rs kilo loki .to 3 rs hue 100 gram ke .... ab 600 leni hai to ... 6 *3=18 .rs.... aise karke ..baaki agar 635 bhi karta hai u know its should be between 18 and 21 ... agar vo 19 --20 bol rha to de do ..aur utna calculation koi nahi karta gram mai ... 20-30 gram kaa ... :D :D :D chill raha karo ... u r trying to take help of siblings .. try to cooperate with them ..mazaak udaate bhi hai to udaan do kya jaa rha tumhaara ..bhai behan hai tumhaare ..baahar thore naa udaa rhe ... unki baat bhi lekar baith jaogi kya doosro ko bataane .... .... hadd hai ... kaisi behan ho tum :| :| :| vahi sikhaayenge tumhe ..samjhi .ab jaoo achhe se so jaooo ..mast ekdum :D
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog